Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:47 AM   #26
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child
Whilst I agree to an extent, your shameful omission of Cormac McCarthy makes Hermes cry.
No Country For Old Men guy? Eh, never read anything by him.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:01 AM   #27
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
No Country For Old Men guy? Eh, never read anything by him.
You must, although I wouldn't worry too much about NCFOM. It's not bad, but the film is better. There are those who speculate that he wrote it with the sole intention of its being picked up for movie adaptation (the dude was in his seventies with a young son, and underrated enough that he had little to leave the kid when the ineviatble happened). I like to think that's the only reason he did his only televised TV interview with Oprah, as well. I've struggled with that, but I'm slowly coming to terms.

Seriously though, his novels are fucking amazing. Read The Crossing or All the Pretty Horses. They're my favorites. Blood Meridian is awesome too, but not an easy read.

......... Fuck it, they're all awesome.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:05 AM   #28
JCC

Those were all published before Bukowski's death.

SO HA! MY THEORY STANDS UNREBUKED!
Old 07-27-2008, 09:45 AM   #29
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I had never heard of it until Jillian advertised it. Now I will have to read it to find out what all the fuss is about.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #30
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
I had never heard of it until Jillian advertised it. Now I will have to read it to find out what all the fuss is about.
If you wish to retain any will to live, you'll regret this decision.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #31
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Those were all published before Bukowski's death.

SO HA! MY THEORY STANDS UNREBUKED!
The ones I named were, but he wrote others after, most notably The Road. He's still writing today. Note that I didn't specify them as being published before, merely as my personal favorites.

So HAHAHA!! I rebuke you in the name of cranky old Southern geniuses!!!

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:38 AM   #32
Disaffected Shoelaces

It's just one novel, but I loved We Need To Talk About Kevin. That was 2003, I think.
Disaffected Shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #33
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaffected Shoelaces
You're right. Culture doesn't matter. How snobbish of anyone to claim otherwise.
Shut up. It's a book, my friend likes it, culture my ass it's entertainment.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:37 AM   #34
Godslayer Jillian

Slapstick and scatological comedies like fucking Meet the Spartans are also supposed to be entertaining.
If you don't like that I don't like this book then tough break. I'm not going to tell you to not read my posts because that argument is bullshit; but I am going to ask you where your opinion of 'anything goes, despite how shitty it could be' conflicts with my rant which has to do with substance and not entertainment.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:39 AM   #35
Graveyard.Crow

Well, my argument is that you take everything SO seriously. I argued with you over MSI and how they have no substance. I'm sorry but not everything has to serve some kind of divine value. I LOVE cheesy vampire love stories, I'm aware that they have no actual impact on literature but quite frankly I don't care. I'm still glad they exist and I can still find tons of people who enjoy reading that shit in their bathtubs.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #36
Godslayer Jillian

My experience has taught me that those people that get entertained by anything are the same ones that say they liked a David Lynch movie but they didn't get it.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #37
Graveyard.Crow

There is nothing WRONG with the book being made into a movie, there is nothing wrong with people reading it at any age and enjoying it. Everyone has their own reasons to and it doesn't make you an enlightened individual to bash someone's work because it's not "sophisticated" enough for you.

Oh and when you said it is only suited for 12 year olds. What's so wrong with that? do 12 year olds not have the right to be amused just like the rest of us?
Old 07-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #38
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
My experience has taught me that those people that get entertained by anything are the same ones that say they liked a David Lynch movie but they didn't get it.
*rolls eyes*
stop being so condescending
you are NOT better than everyone else.
On the other hand people that get entertained by things that you deem not good enough are the ones that end up having a good time because their heads aren't stuck too far up their asses. I'm sure plenty of intelligent people enjoy the twilight novels, it's good light entertainment. Sure things don't work that way in real life, but if a teenage girl wants to indulge in a fantasy of having a superhuman boyfriend, why the hell not.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:50 AM   #39
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow
I'm aware that they have no actual impact on literature but quite frankly I don't care.
I have to strongly disagree with this sentence right here. The Twilight series has impacted literature because there are now authors who are trying to imitate it in the hope that there shit will become as ridiculously successful and lucrative. That being said there is a place for crappy, cheesy, trashy romance stories, with or without vampires. The problem is that now the trash that people used to pick up for an easy read has become the only literature that most people bother to get their hands on.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:52 AM   #40
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
I have to strongly disagree with this sentence right here. The Twilight series has impacted literature because there are now authors who are trying to imitate it in the hope that there shit will become as ridiculously successful and lucrative. That being said there is a place for crappy, cheesy, trashy romance stories, with or without vampires. The problem is that now the trash that people used to pick up for an easy read has become the only literature that most people bother to get their hands on.
Ah well
That's not really the books fault
People have free will and you can't really force them to read. I suppose I was speaking from my own point of view, and cheesy romance novels are my guilty pleasure.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:53 AM   #41
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
On the other hand people that get entertained by things that you deem not good enough are the ones that end up having a good time because their heads aren't stuck too far up their asses.
You see, that argument is the whole reason I hate kitsch.
You think I feel I'm too good for people that enjoy shitty things and therefore I have no fun.
But it's only idiots who think people that don't enjoy the same things that them don't enjoy anything at all.
Just because you cannot seem to think of something I enjoy does not mean I don't enjoy my life as much as 'someone inferior'. It just means you don't seem to possibly think of what things I enjoy.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 07-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #42
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
You see, that argument is the whole reason I hate kitsch.
You think I feel I'm too good for people that enjoy shitty things and therefore I have no fun.
But it's only idiots who think people that don't enjoy the same things that them don't enjoy anything at all.
Just because you cannot seem to think of something I enjoy does not mean I don't enjoy my life as much as 'someone inferior'. It just means you don't seem to possibly think of what things I enjoy.
Or I just think you're stuck up. Either one.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #43
Disaffected Shoelaces

Quote:
Shut up. It's a book, my friend likes it, culture my ass it's entertainment.
If it's popular enough to be made into a movie, which will attract many who haven't read the book as well as those who have, then it's entering the arena of culture. Not to mention that bad literature forms an all too sizeable part of culture in recent years.

Plus, it's possible that your friend has bad taste. Why would I care if he or she likes it? That doesn't prove a thing.

Quote:
Well, my argument is that you take everything SO seriously. I argued with you over MSI and how they have no substance. I'm sorry but not everything has to serve some kind of divine value.
No, no it doesn't. But if it doesn't have SOME redeeming feature, then most people with half a brain won't be interested.

Entertainment and win aren't mutually exclusive. No one said they are. I for example like the Spiderman movies, which have no pretensions to high art whatsoever. But some things suck and it's not stuck-up to say so. I hate it when people try to make that argument.

Quote:
I LOVE cheesy vampire love stories
How surprising. A question, then: how is your stance any less problematic than the OP's? I mean, you're defending your right to like what you want, yes? But that doesn't extend to the Op's right to DISlike whatever he wants?

Synopsis: YOU shut up.
Disaffected Shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #44
MollyMac

They only write and seel what people are willing to buy, you know? If there was no desire for this kind of lit, there would not have been s sequel nor a movie. If all the world emulated your tastes and preferences, you'd find another way to differentiate yourself.

In the meantime, understand the target audience here. It isn't you.

The only taste you can govern is your own and you know this. The martyrdom I see on this forum as catching flack as to the personal preference for goffic or higher end lit is hilarious given the same kind of bashing that is given for those with different tastes (and likely, age) and preferences.

Not everyone's tastes will measure up, take solace in that
Old 07-27-2008, 11:57 AM   #45
Godslayer Jillian

Either? They're exactly the same.
You think I'm a stuck up because I don't enjoy shit; therefore in your mind I don't enjoy anything.
What does this imply? That the only things one can enjoy are shitty things. Forget about Tchaikovsky and koans and guerilla theatre and bike-riding and radical kites and activist gigs. No, I can't possibly always do that in my life and feel accomplished - if I'm not enjoying kitch I must not be enjoying life because the only thing most people have is kitsch....

?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 07-27-2008, 12:00 PM   #46
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Either? They're exactly the same.
You think I'm a stuck up because I don't enjoy shit; therefore in your mind I don't enjoy anything.
What does this imply? That the only things one can enjoy are shitty things. Forget about Tchaikovsky and koans and guerilla theatre and bike-riding and radical kites and activist gigs. No, I can't possibly always do that in my life and feel accomplished - if I'm not enjoying kitch I must not be enjoying life because the only thing most people have is kitsch....

?
No I'm sure you enjoy tons of things in life. Such as bitching about how everyone is a dumb ass and their tastes are so beneath yours that you must educate them to change their ways.

The either remark was sarcasm, mkay?
Old 07-27-2008, 12:00 PM   #47
TurquoiseXx

No offense, but why the hell should anyone care what another person reads? It's a bit contradictory don't you think? Many of you preach about intelligent pieces of literature yet you speak as if you were stuck in the ancient world, uncivilized and unaware that all humans are individuals, which means that they are free to think and do as they please.

The world would be one hell of a boring place if everyone was the same.
TurquoiseXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:01 PM   #48
Beneath the Shadows

What the hell is "Twilight?"

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #49
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaffected Shoelaces
How surprising. A question, then: how is your stance any less problematic than the OP's? I mean, you're defending your right to like what you want, yes? But that doesn't extend to the Op's right to DISlike whatever he wants?

Synopsis: YOU shut up.
I must be an uneducated dumb ass because I find pleasure in cheesy vampire novels?
I'm not saying you aren't allowed to dislike what you want. However to say that I must be lacking brain cells in order to actually enjoy twilight is absurd. If it's about taste then intellectual capacity shouldn't even be an argument. You guys went there.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #50
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
What the hell is "Twilight?"
Google it.