Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #26
DeathToLems

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
The way I see it, they're dead, they more than likely want a rest and will probably be supremely pissed off, at being hauled back for really pointless questions. Leave the dead to BE dead. If they want contact they'll find a way to make it. Otherwise leave them well alone.

Yea true. But what if they've been waiting a long time for you to pick up that board and communicate cos this could be the only way. I think if you was to use the board you should expect everything. Because if I was in the shower and writing started to appear in the steamed up mirror I would probably shit my self.
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #27
Apathy's_Child

I tried an Ouija board once. Nothing happened. I was alone though, and the cynic in me believes that the glass woulda moved if some friends had done it with me.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #28
c130

Ouija boards are nothing more than a simple trick that makes use of subconscious micromotor movements in the participants' arms - just an elaborate version of a pendulum. It provides the answers you're expecting to get. If you're scared, you get scary answers. If you're hoping to contact some dead celebrity, you'll get answers that make you think you managed it. If you tell your friends a fictional horror story before you begin, you'll probably end up getting reponses from the ghosts you invented.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #29
DeathToLems

Quote:
Originally Posted by c130
Ouija boards are nothing more than a simple trick that makes use of subconscious micromotor movements in the participants' arms - just an elaborate version of a pendulum. It provides the answers you're expecting to get. If you're scared, you get scary answers. If you're hoping to contact some dead celebrity, you'll get answers that make you think you managed it. If you tell your friends a fictional horror story before you begin, you'll probably end up getting reponses from the ghosts you invented.
now thats my kinda harmless fun. Anyone wanna do it with me? I'll bring the drinks and food!
Old 04-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #30
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by c130
And if you're into Freudian ideas like the unconscious, you'll get a ghost telling you your mom is teh seks!!

Seriously though, that makes sense. Except for the unconscious aspect of your arms moving - I still think that in 90% of cases, someone's doing it on purpose.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #31
Chazz

Theres a shop in Southampton here in the UK that sells a few small gothic trinkets. Such as fairies and dragons, mainly an oritental shop but it has a few nice bits.

Anyway to the point, they have a large mettalic pottery/glass topped one. It looks beautiful and is made by nemesis now, I was sooo tempted to buy it but I was light on cash at the time and they had sold it by my next visit.
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:32 PM   #32
DeathToLems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz
Theres a shop in Southampton here in the UK that sells a few small gothic trinkets. Such as fairies and dragons, mainly an oritental shop but it has a few nice bits.

Anyway to the point, they have a large mettalic pottery/glass topped one. It looks beautiful and is made by nemesis now, I was sooo tempted to buy it but I was light on cash at the time and they had sold it by my next visit.
I've seen the nemesis now ones in shops near me too. They look alright.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #33
Wednesday Friday Addams

Thor tells me to tell you that this board doesn't work and is all pure myth.
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:58 PM   #34
Corpsey

Thor? You don't know Ben Paulson by chance do you?

As to the topic: I doubt they work or are real. I've yet to even decide whether I would like to try out something that deals with the paranormal. Let the dead be dead.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:18 AM   #35
Nytekiss~

hrmm. i don't think spirits are "dead'. Nor do i think they used to be living people. I think there are some very very intelligent entities out there that kan easily persuade people to believe anything they wish. It certainly wouldn't be that hard konsidering the state of mynde most people are in whyle playing with such things.~
Nytekiss~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #36
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytekiss~
there are some very very intelligent entities out there that kan easily persuade people to believe anything they wish.
Yes, we usually call them politicians. And they touch the spirits a tad too often methinks, since they run their countries like drunk monkeys on a spliff.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:24 AM   #37
raggedyanne

drunk religious monkeys! God made me invade! I swear!
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:19 AM   #38
KontanKarite

Quote:
hrmm. i don't think spirits are "dead'. Nor do i think they used to be living people. I think there are some very very intelligent entities out there that kan easily persuade people to believe anything they wish. It certainly wouldn't be that hard konsidering the state of mynde most people are in whyle playing with such things.~

Could you please cut it out?

Actually... nevermind.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:25 AM   #39
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted House
There are lots of stories about people going bat shite ill in the head from using them. To the point of having to be institutionalized. I'm just hoping to avoid that. Even some respected paranormal investigators and mediums advise to stay away from them.

It's best to avoid all the tools of The Great Old Ones.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:36 AM   #40
Wednesday Friday Addams

If ghosts were real I would want to turn out like that chick from the ring...just for the giggles.
Bottom line everything is for the lulz
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:47 AM   #41
Kristin

Oh jeez. Reminded me of when I was in the hospital after a c-section, and the combination of morphine and Percocet I was on gave me sporadic hallucinations for a few hours. During one of them, it seemed like the noise (static and faint music? not sure) that played while Samara was shuffling along was drifting up the hall outside my room. Then when I glanced at the TV above my bed, it had apparently turned on to static, then switched right back off as soon as I blinked.

Yeah. Scared the crap out of me at the time, but you guys might find it funny.
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #42
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
It's best to avoid all the tools of The Great Old Ones.
Thats one thing I'm actually REALLY glad I can't find belief for, because thats something you're hoping with your entire being are just fake. I think it would be pretty cool to try one, in the right atmosphere. With regards to the milton-bradley corp. perhaps it's just the basic shape thats neccasary? Or maybe it might help to make your own so that it's energys might be more properly aligned with one's own?

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #43
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
The way I see it, they're dead, they more than likely want a rest
See, that's why I can't respect any paranormal mumbo jumbo.
They want rest?
Since the beginning of time people think there's an afterlife, and always talk about it as if it's a great place to rest.
When the fuck did people decide life is so overwhelming and tiresome?
I myself feel if I lived to be eighty, I would not have even started scratching the amount of shit I could do in this world. So why would I somehow choose o say in the next life "okay, that century was exhausting, I best afterlive my existence in tranquility for infinitely much longer than what my burdensome life was"
I only have two opinions about these standard beliefs of the supernatural:

Either people don't take advantage of their lives to the point where even their escapist hopes are marred by pessimism.

Or this whole reality is worse than if it had never been, and I should live my life in a heathen manner that insults every god and spirit as they all seem to have a hatred for "too much fun" in one's life, until someone, maybe Chthulhu or Zeus or a leprechaun, manages to completely erase me from existence.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:04 AM   #44
Nytekiss~

My bet is on the leprechauns.. shifty little bastards.~
Nytekiss~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #45
acidxrainbows

Once, I used a Ouija board, and I swear on my life that me and my friend saw...absolutely nothing, just like every other time I used it. :]
acidxrainbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #46
raggedyanne

Quote:
With recent scientific evidence pointing towards the theory that humans have no "souls" but that all emotional and other reactions and actions are controlled by the brain, I can't agree with you. NO souls = NO ghosts. But I have never used a Ouija Board because I have never felt the need to spook myself by moving a cup around.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:15 PM   #47
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
pointless waffling
Good for you.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote