Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 08-14-2008, 04:20 AM   #51
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Are people that emotionally defective that they cannot detect vibes on the ner?
Old 08-14-2008, 05:54 AM   #52
LiUsAiDh

It would seem I am. Big deal.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:11 AM   #53
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiUsAiDh
I'm not sure I need to say anything much to highlight how fucking selfish, and spoilt that makes you sound.

Would you feel the same if the cops bulldozed your town and arrested you for no reason?

Hell, I'm just stunned somebody would say that.
Read the rest of my posts, dearie. I already said that I agree with most folks here when they say China needs to change a few things. Hell, I lived there and saw first-hand the things that need to be changed.

However, like I also said earlier, I think that 2 months from now, less than a quarter of the folks who are complaining about them now aren't even going to remember what they were complaining about, and -that- annoys me. If I knew that everyone who is complaining was also working on a plan to change things, that would be different. But complaining just to complains annoys the hell out of me.

China's a....unique place. And yes, they -do- care more about image than sustenance. Nothing that China's done for the Olympics has shocked or surprised me. Made me facepalm: Yes. But unless someone here has something more to say than "OMG!!! China is Eb1L!!1!", then I'm just not interested.

I had to put up with that kind of crap from ignorant people before I left to go to China, and I'm not going to put up with it now. Sorry if you don't like it, but that's just my perspective.

In my opinion, everyone who is "Oh so offended" should have been protesting when China got the Olympic bid in the first damned place. But did anyone care back then? NO. So why the bloody fucking hell do people wait THIS LONG to protest them getting the Olympics?!

/rant

Grr.

[Please be advised that the protesting I'm talking about isn't the protests about Tibet, but rather just that China got the Olympic bid in the first place..]
Old 08-14-2008, 08:24 AM   #54
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
Read the rest of my posts, dearie.
Patronising me isn't necessary. And, yes, I had read them.

Quote:
However, like I also said earlier, I think that 2 months from now, less than a quarter of the folks who are complaining about them now aren't even going to remember what they were complaining about, and -that- annoys me. If I knew that everyone who is complaining was also working on a plan to change things, that would be different. But complaining just to complains annoys the hell out of me.
Yes, but isn't it better to whinge for a few months than just ignore it totally. Complaining for complaining's sake isn't great, but it raises awareness, and makes China look pretty bad on the world scene, which may 'encourage' it to change for the better.

Quote:
In my opinion, everyone who is "Oh so offended" should have been protesting when China got the Olympic bid in the first damned place. But did anyone care back then? NO. So why the bloody fucking hell do people wait THIS LONG to protest them getting the Olympics?!
Actually, smart ass, I was whinging back then too, but being the age that I am, with little money and no transport. I'm a little limited as to what I can do.

Anyway, I wasn't actually complaining about anything else you had said other than the oh so mature 'I'm tired of hearing and reading about how horrible China is. ' I mean what do you want us to do - never mention it again? That'll help won't it. At least whinging has raised awareness.

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
Old 08-14-2008, 08:47 AM   #55
Tam Li Hua

[b]LiUsAiDh:[b] Do you understand where I'm coming from, then? That's really all I ask.

Quote:
Yes, but isn't it better to whinge for a few months than just ignore it totally. Complaining for complaining's sake isn't great, but it raises awareness, and makes China look pretty bad on the world scene, which may 'encourage' it to change for the better.
Doubtful. China's a pretty large and powerful country, and I don't think a few months of a few people complaining are likely to change it.

Then again, I could be wrong. [And in all honestly, I hope I am; I would love to see China change for the better. I really really would...but I just don't see it happening without some cataclysmic event.]

Quote:
Actually, smart ass, I was whinging back then too, but being the age that I am, with little money and no transport. I'm a little limited as to what I can do.
Granted.

But if you had the money and the transport, what would you be inspired to do?

Quote:
Anyway, I wasn't actually complaining about anything else you had said other than the oh so mature 'I'm tired of hearing and reading about how horrible China is. ' I mean what do you want us to do - never mention it again? That'll help won't it. At least whinging has raised awareness.
I don't think that expressing how tired I am of reading about a particular topic is immature, but you're entitled to think so.

I'm just trying to put things in a bit of a perspective from someone who's not Chinese, but still loves China deeply. Sorry if I got a little ranty.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #56
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
[b]LiUsAiDh:[b] Do you understand where I'm coming from, then? That's really all I ask.
Yes.

Quote:
Doubtful. China's a pretty large and powerful country, and I don't think a few months of a few people complaining are likely to change it.
We might as well try, it's all some of us can do, and it can't hurt.

Quote:
But if you had the money and the transport, what would you be inspired to do?
Well I suppose I would go to China and either; a. attempt to give aid to the homeless, b. protest publicly (so I got onto the international news) to raise awareness, or maybe c. try to improve the political situation directly, but I think that's slightly beyond me.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:27 AM   #57
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Well I suppose I would go to China and either; a. attempt to give aid to the homeless, b. protest publicly (so I got onto the international news) to raise awareness, or maybe c. try to improve the political situation directly, but I think that's slightly beyond me.
I give you props for wanting to help. However, from what the news seems to be saying, I don't know if protesting publicly would be the best way to change minds.

If you do decide to go, though, I encourage you to study about the culture before you go, and to learn a few key phrases. Trust me, it'll help immensely.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #58
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
If you do decide to go, though, I encourage you to study about the culture before you go, and to learn a few key phrases. Trust me, it'll help immensely.
自由西藏。

中国是垃圾。

滚开并且停止设法拘捕我。

hehe

I'm all set.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #59
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
自由西藏。

中国是垃圾。

滚开并且停止设法拘捕我。

hehe

I'm all set.
Cool. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #60
alyroi360

what if the Olympics caused world war 3? I mean if somebody cheated BIG TIME and Obama became president and we ended up getting nuked with no defenses...
Idk. just a thought. I know it's a way of bringing countries together, but what if it tore us apart?
alyroi360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #61
Tam Li Hua

I've already considered that, alyroi. I guess what will happen is that a lot of people will die, but some of us will survive, just like in WWI and WWII.

Personally, I hope to become a mutant of some kind. Preferably the kind that can fly..
Old 08-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #62
alyroi360

Yeah, flying mutants are pretty cool, Tem. I'd probably pick something more specific to surroundings, like growing plants, or making it rain, environmental... but flying would be awesome!!! there's nothing like it...

It's like a sudden race of adrenaline rushing through your body. you don't notice anything but the feeling of joy that embodies every cell in your being. It's like falling in love for the first time, or becoming a child again...
alyroi360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #63
Saya

Honestly when Georgia and Russia went to war I held my breath to see if anyone else got involved....I don't see the Olympics causing a world war, but it might spark some change within China.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:48 PM   #64
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyroi360
what if the Olympics caused world war 3? I mean if somebody cheated BIG TIME and Obama became president and we ended up getting nuked with no defenses...
Idk. just a thought.
How much effort did you put in that 'thought'?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:50 PM   #65
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Yeah, flying mutants are pretty cool, Tem. I'd probably pick something more specific to surroundings, like growing plants, or making it rain, environmental... but flying would be awesome!!! there's nothing like it...

It's like a sudden race of adrenaline rushing through your body. you don't notice anything but the feeling of joy that embodies every cell in your being. It's like falling in love for the first time, or becoming a child again...
Eh, my first few experiences with love weren't actually that great. :P I have a more mature kind of love now, and that's -way- better.

As for flying, yeah, I suppose it's okay, but it's not my favorite mode of travel what with the change in air pressure and the uncomfortable seats and the babies crying...

You haven't lived until you've been in a plane for 13+ hours in coach with a bunch of very fussy, newly-adopted babies. x_x;;;
Old 08-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #66
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:
Idk. just a thought. I know it's a way of bringing countries together, but what if it tore us apart?

Do you have a brain tumor?
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #67
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Quote:

What the fuck happened to my thread whilst I was away?!? Damnit, I can't leave for a few hours without the whole thing going to pot >_>

Old 08-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #68
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
If I was having a conversation, in person, with an adult man or woman, and that adult man or woman sincerely put forth this contention, I would punch him or her in the face without hesitation. Even were this person a highly skilled martial artist three times my size, I would immediately throw a punch at his or her face.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:50 PM   #69
Tam Li Hua

Granted, the idea of someone cheating in the Olympics and -that- causing WWIII is a bit far-fetched, but I -am- a bit nervous about what's going to happen to all this tension between China and the rest of the world after the Olympics are over..
Old 08-15-2008, 02:47 AM   #70
LiUsAiDh

It'll probably blow over, most people will forget about it as you said; politicians may 'put pressure' on China, but nothing much will happen. I don't think (not that it's the right course of action) any countries have the balls to attack China, so not too much can happen.

Reminds me of this