Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 02-04-2007, 03:12 PM   #51
maggot

But... But... But I'm not insulting anyone's race! I don't understand your logic D=
Old 02-04-2007, 03:18 PM   #52
Mir

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
While I get what you are saying about openly racist, prejudiced (et al) people- you know what you are getting up front- I have always seen anything based solely on what eye can most easily see as a lazy way out. Uneducated. Simple-minded.
Do you mean me? I am suitably offended by that. Lazy, yes. Uneducated/simple minded? Uh ok, I welcome your opinion but it changes naught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
Why berate someone for something they cannot change when you could delve and hit them harder with something that the *could* do something about, but won't out of some petulence, arrogance, ignorance, or just a lack of sufficient vocabulary?
Again if you mean me, I was berating no one. And nor do I wish to do anything about it. Nor to change anyone. Please read enemies as 'people I will avoid'. I suppose enemies is a strong/harsh word.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:22 PM   #53
MollyMac

Heya Mir-

The first statement was directed at the "I love racist people... " comment as that comment. As stated in its full context, it was basically that *at least said open rascists aren't lying about who they are and don't waste your time*. I get what you are saying. S'all good.

The comment about "... have always seen anything based solely on what eye can most easily see as a lazy way out. Uneducated. Simple-minded." is directed at rescists and those who make generalizations based on race and ethnicity or anything without thinking first, taking only into account what their eyes see because they apparently are too lazy to do anything other.

I do not know you, I do not know if that statement applies to you in real life. I only know you by what you post, and your posts do not indicate that you are such a feeble minded maggot.

And the second comment was not aimed at you, either. I really don't see how you think it could have been directed at you, just from re-examining your posts in this thread. (Save for Spright taking a comment out of context, that is)

If you did think it was aimed at you, I do apologize for that. But no, it wasn't.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #54
Miss_Hazie_Lane

My elder punk parents mocked me... I'm still bitter
Old 02-04-2007, 11:11 PM   #55
Tha Duckman

I was locked in a closet for many years as a child. I eventually burrowed out using nothing but a wire coat hanger and a frayed shoelace I named Terry, giving Lee David Zlotoff the idea for MacGyver. I didn't see apenny of its profits. .
Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:28 PM   #56
OCD Insomnia

I never came out of the goth closet. For I am not goth. I am punk. Wich, to my family, was worse because they knew the difference. Miss_Hazie, I'm sorry that happened, as punks they should have known not to judge you on your personal choice... some punks tend to get narrow minded over the years, the lifestyle is hardening. The hardest thing ive ever had to do is tell my bible thumping mother that I was wiccan. She literally THREW a bible at me.
OCD Insomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:18 AM   #57
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Hazie_Lane
My elder punk parents mocked me... I'm still bitter
Seriously? I remember your Christmas photos Miss Hazie; your parents looked liked normies, not punk. (I loved your pink and black skull pajamas by the way. Very cute.)
But then I dress like a normie now and then, at least as normal as a guy with a forked beard and long hair can look.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:33 AM   #58
Mir

Perhaps she doesn't mean her real parents, just the older punks around her.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:54 AM   #59
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola
I wasn't aware my musical choices weren't quite Goth!
Would you have listed them if you thought they weren't Goth?
Old 02-05-2007, 08:24 AM   #60
Draconysius

It's very difficult to be black and goth. In the black community, it's a much greater social stigma to be different, than it is in the white community. For black people, being different means more than rebellion, it means many people don't consider you "black" anymore. So I can only begin to imagine how hard it must be for you. Just remember that you're not alone. Kudos to you, my friend.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:26 AM   #61
Draconysius

Oh, yes, and look up "gothic rock" at http://en.wikipedia.org to get a good idea of what gothic music is.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:55 PM   #62
killer_asian_Dax

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
It's very difficult to be black and goth. In the black community, it's a much greater social stigma to be different, than it is in the white community. For black people, being different means more than rebellion, it means many people don't consider you "black" anymore. So I can only begin to imagine how hard it must be for you. Just remember that you're not alone. Kudos to you, my friend.

You totally hit the nail on the head with being Black and goth. I'm so glad at least somebody truly (sp?) gets it.

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #63
killer_asian_Dax

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
THANK YOU, Dax! That was all I wanted, not mollymac spewing her menstrual juices all over me. [Yes, that, again, is a joke.]
The reason I don't see EGL as a part of the goth scene, through, is because it's meant as a form of "getting away" and being someone else. It isn't really meant to be YOU.

At least that's what I've read.

I've never heard or read that before; about it being an escape of sorts. Do you perchance have the article? I would very much like to read it. If not- no worries.

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #64
maggot

I don't have it any more D=
Old 02-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #65
BlackButterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
I knew I loved you for some reason other than that awesome 'hawk.
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #66
son_of_putrefaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
Why is there no asian goth scene? EGL doesn't count, they're all weekenders. (They are; it's a weekend culture.)

The closest they have is Visual Kei.
there is 1 band: Phaidia^^ http://fightagainsttheplutocrats.blo...eath-rock.html
son_of_putrefaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:27 PM   #67
maggot

:O
Sweet. SOP, you are my hero. Lol.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:58 AM   #68
SKot

I have the utmost respect for black people who choose to be in the goth subculture. Dominant white culture may not be very tolerant of a goth lifestyle, but dominant black culture is ten times worse for certain. Anyone who manages to break free of that and become a goth just amazes me.

As Ali G would say, "Respek." (finger thwap)

--SKot
SKot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:45 AM   #69
maggot

I don't get it.

When I say this kid strikes me as a poseur, I'm attacked for being racist, but when everyone keeps saying "She's BLACK so it's COOL she want to be goth!" that's not racist at all? [This, of course, is on the aformentioned assertion that anything ratial is racist on this site.]

People aren't making sense anymore.

At least not when it comes to political correctness.

Oh, and if anyone says that this is a racist comment, or that it's arrogant, I'll sue you.
I'm just wanting to know how it's any different.

Especially because I didn't say that he was a poseur because she's black, but everyone's saying it's cool because she's black.

The kid has even redeemed herself to me with being ready to goddamn learn, as previously shown, but Miss Mac ignored this.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:53 AM   #70
Tha Duckman

Saying that some one of a particular ethnicity chooses to be "Goth" is cool doesn't necessarily convey racism. It's just fucking dumb.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:04 AM   #71
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKot
I have the utmost respect for black people who choose to be in the goth subculture. Dominant white culture may not be very tolerant of a goth lifestyle, but dominant black culture is ten times worse for certain. Anyone who manages to break free of that and become a goth just amazes me.

As Ali G would say, "Respek." (finger thwap)

--SKot
Stop copying me! XD
Old 02-07-2007, 12:26 PM   #72
maggot

Lol. Good answer, Duckie! (May I call you Duckie?)
Old 02-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #73
Tha Duckman

Only if you have a vagina and are willing to let me stick my penis in it. Do you fit the above criteria?
Old 02-08-2007, 04:56 PM   #74
maggot

Well, I have a manjina. Ask Rawrwithcaows about the second part. xD
Old 02-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #75
Miss_Hazie_Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
Seriously? I remember your Christmas photos Miss Hazie; your parents looked liked normies, not punk. (I loved your pink and black skull pajamas by the way. Very cute.)
But then I dress like a normie now and then, at least as normal as a guy with a forked beard and long hair can look.
At this point they've kind of gone "Eh, we're old, and a receeding mohawk is a true faux pas, let's just wear hipster glasses and read Chuck Palaniuk" my entire education was apparently based on david bowie's kooks (I was homeschooled by my crazy dad) they're definantly relatively normal looking, but in an odd way. As for their close mindedness, not really, they just myanthropic and bitter, and enjoy mocking everything they can...when my dad was younger people used to say he looked like billy idol, he had his hair bleached nearly white, and my mom had a buzzcut... as a baby I was dressed like a Jim Jerimush charechter, and honestly they're pretty cool, good about me going to shows, and fun to talk to about music, art, and books etc. If my dad had been a few years younger the ironic thing is he would have been goth, he's very into halloween, and actually runs a website (www.olantern.com) which sells unusal halloween goods, he also collects vintage/antique halloween decorations. Basically he's kind of awesome... My Mom's a weaver, and obsessed with skeletons, as is her father (who's an artist)
My mommy and me (with sculpture done by grandfather at washington zoo): http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...7/DSC02570.jpg
My mom and my brothers: http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...7/DSC00122.jpg
My brother at halloween (being sacreligious, as egged on by parents): http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...7/DSC09285.jpg
my Dad and little brother (my dad looking incredibley nerdy):
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...7/DSC08136.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...7/DSCN0084.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...7/DSC02323.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...7/DSC01879.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...7/DSC01881.jpg ( my dad cannot catch... at all)
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...7/DSC01884.jpg (the weird baby doll is my littlest brother's, it's named junior)