Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #826
Zabijej

Ew. High school memories. *vomits*

The classic double-standard prevailed: if I walked into school with a skirt on, the school secretary would get out a ruler and start measuring, but I suppose as long as you're from a nice housing development and shop at Abercrombie/Hollister/AE, then you can wear a skirt only a few inches below your crotch. Interestingly, there was a cyber goth girl who did the whole different-haircolour-every-week thing with stompy boots and striped tights, and she wore barely ass-covering skirts and nobody questioned her...they were probably like "She's so out-there I'm not even going to say anything"

In middle school, I went through a phase where I wore eyeliner with those drip-marks down my cheeks like Benji Madden. I probably looked like a tool, but it wasn't hurting anyone (except me by making me look like a tool lol). I always got told to wash that off.

Also, in middle school, the principal banned all-black outfits because he thought it was a "cult" That didn't last for very long because some preps protested it by wearing all-black. They called goth kids down to the school psychologist to try to see why they were doing it - they didn't call me, but they called the ones who got in fights, and the self-harming ones.

The TEACHERS in middle school were more tolerant of goth kids. One English teacher seemed to play favourites in favour of goths. The high school teachers were different and gave preferential treatment to kids who were on sports teams, who were popular, or who had parents who were business owners or doctors etc.
Zabijej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:22 AM   #827
Sephiroth Kali

KontanKarite has it right here. I went to a school where the individual was prioritized. We had kids from all social groups, but in the environment we had, even people from polar opposite groups could and would hang out with each other. One of the first days I came to the school, I walked on campus, and I was trying to be all "mallgoth" with my Tripp pants(I still love those things, fuck everybody else), anyway, right away, a hippy girl, who I eventually got to know, just ran up and hugged me, for no reason other than, well I still dont know, but that broke my idea of social boundaries at that school. I'll post a few pictures if I can find them.
Sephiroth Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #828
300pockets

Location: Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Dimension 3
My school has no dress code. However, teachers are rather anti-Goth. We had to read an article freshman year about some school shooting, it got to how Goth kids are all terrible and shoot up schools or something.

Of course, she picks this article on the one day that I wear a trench coat to school and had goth'd it up over the death of a family friend.

Ironically, this teacher is supposed to be all about tolerance, but apparently, just people that tolerate her (LGBTQ women of minorities) and not other people. Nothing against LGBTQ, women, or minorities, it's just that tolerance need not be a one-way thing.
300pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #829
Angelic Dissonance

I would wear fishnet and red eyeliner down my cheeks if I felt like it. No one seemed to care. I wore as much eyeliner as I wanted. Of course, I did wear a dress shirt over the fishnet...
Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #830
Serren

We were stuck in uniforms at school, we weren't even meant to wear make up, although nearly every girl there did. We had grey skirts (that must be within a few inches of our knees), white shirts, a horrible moss green jumper (sweater) that no one ever wore (social suicide to do so), green tie and a black blazer that you had to have permission to take off. Oh, and our shoes had to be sensible as well.

No wonder I dress the way I do now lol.
Serren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #831
Angelic Dissonance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serren View Post
We were stuck in uniforms at school, we weren't even meant to wear make up, although nearly every girl there did. We had grey skirts (that must be within a few inches of our knees), white shirts, a horrible moss green jumper (sweater) that no one ever wore (social suicide to do so), green tie and a black blazer that you had to have permission to take off. Oh, and our shoes had to be sensible as well.

No wonder I dress the way I do now lol.
Couldn't you DIY the skirt? If I was a chick, I'd wear a fucked-up basketball net over a skirt with shredded edges. As for a white shirt and black blazer, to tell you the truth, that sounds fine. As for 'sensible' shoes... what's more sensible than thigh-high platform harness boots with thirty buckles?
Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #832
DemiGoth

my school has a ton of dress code rules.

No spikes
No chains
No excesive makeup (I think that's one)
And I think they have a rule against platform shoes, I can't remember, but I guess I'll find out this september when I wear some, lol.

And my Language Arts teacher always questioned me being goth when she saw me, she called me a satanist for wearing a pentagram. Does she not know that it stands for the 5 wounds of christ? (when not inverted, and the wearer is christian)

Plus there's the fact that most kids in my school think emo&goth are teh same so there's something else to put the goths down. AND the whole administration hates me, I waved to teh vice-principal and he sent me to his office and said I was going to get all the kids to act crazy (and no one even saw me do it except him), and then some other administrater kept harrassing me if I did practically ANYTHING. My school is prejudice against goths in general.

PS- sorry if i replied wrong, i'm new to teh site.
DemiGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #833
Serren

Ha I wish I was still there to try that. I doubt I would get past the front gate. I think a lot of people got sent home for wearing too high heels, and I got sent home once cos my skirt was too short (it really was not that short).
Old 07-31-2009, 02:58 PM   #834
Raveanya

Well my school just enforced a new dress code. No spikes/chains everything has to be 4 inches above the knee or lower, no tights unless the skirt has met the 4 inch rule, also nothing "distracting" ridiculous idiots. Originally they had: No multi colored or brightly colored hair but someone made them fix that. There's a few other things too but I didn't care enough about them to remember. I'll break it anyway, probably only three times though because they give you detention 3 detentions=suspension after suspension is done if you do it again you get expelled. It's ridiculous, teens are going to be teens! Let them be teens dammit!
Raveanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:43 PM   #835
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveanya View Post
Well my school just enforced a new dress code. No spikes/chains everything has to be 4 inches above the knee or lower, no tights unless the skirt has met the 4 inch rule, also nothing "distracting" ridiculous idiots. Originally they had: No multi colored or brightly colored hair but someone made them fix that. There's a few other things too but I didn't care enough about them to remember. I'll break it anyway, probably only three times though because they give you detention 3 detentions=suspension after suspension is done if you do it again you get expelled. It's ridiculous, teens are going to be teens! Let them be teens dammit!
I know self-expression is important but it's school, not Death Guild. If you've got plans for higher education, you can risk blowing them by having avoidable suspensions and expulsions all because you HAD to put on that scandalously short Lip Service skirt.

Out of curiosity, how old are you?

For the youngins who revived this thread or are on the outside looking in:
http://gothic-charm-school.com/charm/?p=110
http://gothic-charm-school.com/charm/?p=102
http://gothic-charm-school.com/charm/?p=38
http://gothic-charm-school.com/charm/?p=36
Old 08-02-2009, 07:07 AM   #836
Marie

I go to an all girls Catholic school. We can't have hair dyed in "unnatural" colors and we can't wear our own shoes--only ugly penny loafers. We can wear any kind of nail polish we want and it is "suggested" we don't wear makeup (I refuse to wake up earlier than I do on a regular basis to put on makeup when nobody cares if you come in splochy from running to get the bus). My one friend has gotten away with wearing a spiked choker now for three years, but we have a new principal starting our senior year and we don't know how this one is going to be...
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #837
MissGracie

I was favorited (is that a word?) at my highschool for being creative and different :P I suppose it helped that I didn't start trouble, bothered going to class, and got good grades, but I am pretty lucky to have gone to a school where they support that kind of thing.

Why do some people's schools have such strong dresscodes? Do you go to private schools? If you don't like the Catholic and/or private school why don't you talk to your parents about going somewhere else?
MissGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #838
Marie

I go to "an elite college prepatory school". Talking to my parents about transfering right before my senior year is out of the question, even though I'm not entirely happy about it.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #839
Feminazi

When I was in high school, they just didn't allow a lot of make-up or crazy hair colors. But honestly, they never really cared.
Feminazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #840
Serren

I come from the UK where most schools expect your to wear a uniform. The only ones which don't tend to be expensive private ones.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #841
Sendo

I go to an art school, so we can wear most anything we want that's not dangerous. I think the only constriction I've ever had was that my wallet chain was considered a safety hazard, which I think is reasonable. A lot of the upper classmen in my school have beautiful tattoos on display, and there are a lot of pierced people. There were only three goths in the school when I got there, and they seemed to be able to dress as they liked without much distraction. I suppose I'm just lucky.
Sendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #842
SiouxsiePernova

Lolly speaks the truth. Follow the dress codes (regardless of how draconian they may seem) and concentrate on achieving the best academic results possible. Once you reach university, you can usually wear whatever you want to.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #843
ShadowxMakerZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothic_vampire View Post
has your school done anything to stop the whole gothic scene?
Nope. There's metal detectors though so you can't bring anything metal of the sort unless it's safe lmao.
ShadowxMakerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:12 PM   #844
Terminus

All during high school, I got away with dressing "Goth" by dressing well.

Unless there is something in the dress code against it, very few people can argue against a button down shirt, slacks, and a tie, despite how many patches or spikes I decided to put in.
Terminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:22 AM   #845
SiouxsiePernova

^ How can a school stop a student from listening to Goth Rock?

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:23 AM   #846
mystiquity

Even though my school has a uniform (as I live in the UK) we can customize it slightly.
LUCKILY though, my school colours are blacks and red: Black Trousers or Skirt, Black or White Shirt, Red Tie, Any Black Shoes, Black or Red Tights for the Girls & A Black Blazer.
We are allowed up to TWO piercings in each ear.
Up to TWO necklaces,
NO Rings,
Up to THREE bracelets.
Nail Polish can ONLY be in the school colours which is fine by most of us (being black and red)
The only real restriction is the AMOUNT of make-up we can wear: Not too much eyeliner/eyeshadow/lipstick/gloss.
Our school bags have NO restrictions and there can be as many spikes on them as we want.

Other than the eyeliner restriction my school is ALMOST COMPLETELY a Goth school!!
mystiquity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #847
I_Zik

When I went to school, they made me get rid of my mesh shirt. I'm sure it was because they didn't want to see a skeleton. They said it was okay at the start of the year and then changed their minds saying "We can see your nipples." meanwhile they let jack-offs wear muscle shirts. I saw more wrong with other people than just my nipples. so I taped X's on them. they couldn't say anything else except, get rid of the shirt, or you'll be sent home and have a mark on my record for disobedience. What a douche-bag that principal was. Ragging on me because I always hanged around in plain sight of everyone. (Entrance to the school)
I_Zik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #848
Lady_Alyce

Location: A lovely place where the humidity melts your makeup off.
I'm the only goth at my school, so when I started dressing 'gothic', some thought I was trying to get attention. Some thought that I was slipping back into depression. Haha.
They really don't do much 'to stop me'. The headmaster is actually really against conformity and sometimes I am used as an example as 'the non-conformist'. It bugs me sometimes.
Lady_Alyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #849
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Zik View Post
When I went to school, they made me get rid of my mesh shirt. I'm sure it was because they didn't want to see a skeleton. They said it was okay at the start of the year and then changed their minds saying "We can see your nipples." meanwhile they let jack-offs wear muscle shirts. I saw more wrong with other people than just my nipples. so I taped X's on them. they couldn't say anything else except, get rid of the shirt, or you'll be sent home and have a mark on my record for disobedience. What a douche-bag that principal was. Ragging on me because I always hanged around in plain sight of everyone. (Entrance to the school)
Wearing a mesh shirt with nothing on top or underneath is COMPLETELY inappropriate.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #850
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
Wearing a mesh shirt with nothing on top or underneath is COMPLETELY inappropriate.
Agreed, if someone had done that at my school the principle would have given you a lovely trash bag to wear for the rest of the day.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote