Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:00 PM   #76
Vyvian Blackthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ††BlackRose††
The first gothic song that I heard was by HIM and Lacuna Coil. I remember liking the Lacuna Coil song a lot that I wanted to get their CD. LOL. Yes I still like getting CDs. LOL.
Good goth. that es totaly goth d00d. i am fugg1n stund u herd them. lulza. i liek was gonna get hims nu stff bout love+deth bout ths 1 grl at my skol sed they r nawt a gothic band. is that write1? pese pm me my scren name is Black_Emo_Death.
Goth forever
Goth Forever
Goth forever
Old 07-15-2007, 02:29 PM   #77
KlaudiaGaya

Everything started with Cities In Dust by Siouxsie & The Banshees, which I heard on the radio. It gave me the idea of buying some Banshees' album, which was Once Upon A Time. That was the breakthrough..
KlaudiaGaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #78
Breathless Horror

The first goth song I ever heard was Spiritual Cramp, by Christian Death, and it still remains one of my favorites.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:58 PM   #79
Don't Look Behind You

Location: a russian, vienna-educated, living in the Netherlands. beat that.
Well I was in Russia at my (back then still) bf's house and I was completely drunk. We were sitting on the balcony smoking and he had some cd playing. Later I recognised the sound in a club and it was Sisters of Mercy. Possesion was the song, I think.
And then I started listening to Nautilus Pompilius, which i would say is gothic as fuck, but only in a russian way.
And then I all of the sudden downloaded things like Front 242 or the crüxshadows of fields of the nephilim....
And then i was told it was all called "gothic". halleluia.
--If you want to love me you'll have to love my shadow. This black creature that is stuck to my feet and that hates the light whithout which it wouldn't exist. Sometimes, I think it is more me than I am. Please be gentle as you make my shadow white.

-- On soft pillows you won't ride into eternity and spilling your blood you won't get out of eternity again.
Don't Look Behind You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:58 PM   #80
homo-adonis

Well, I started as a punk then New Waver And was always into that type of underground music scene but after listening to " Come before Christ and murder love" a brilliant song By Death in June I was hooked even though I was already familiar with other DIJ stuff as well as sisters Souxsie Bahaus ECT.
homo-adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:42 AM   #81
evilpoppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ††BlackRose††
The first gothic song that I heard was by HIM and Lacuna Coil. I remember liking the Lacuna Coil song a lot that I wanted to get their CD. LOL. Yes I still like getting CDs. LOL.
Firstly, it is brilliant you are into CD's! When you are older and richer the chances are you will end up with a reasonably decent Stereo and then you will notice the difference between CD's and Mp3's.

Secondly, I think I might start a thread on labels and stuff.
evilpoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:51 AM   #82
Beneath the Shadows

It was something by Nine Inch Nails. Back then I didn't know much (I was 13, and had lead a rather sheltered life), and believed that NIN was representative of gothic music. Afterwards, though I started talking to a few goths I knew from school, and learned about groups like Bauhaus, Alien Sex Fiend, Skeletal Family, and others.
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:41 PM   #83
LiUsAiDh

Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead

And I thought, "Hmm, this is quite good."

Fun eh...

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #84
ViciouslyBeautiful

Spellbound by Siouxsie and The Banshees. I was into punk rock at that time and was looking for artists I might like, stumbled onto Siouxsie and The Banshees and liked it at once. Then came Voltaire and Bauhaus.
ViciouslyBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:31 PM   #85
Cappinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphyra Runa
Depeche Mode
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Front 242
The Cure
Joy Division
Bauhaus
This is almost what I listened to when I was growing up, more specifically Front 242 (which is a Belgian band btw!), The Cure and Depeche Mode. I was also big on OMD, Bowie, Sisters of Mercy and Adam & the Ants. Most was just punk and I never really got the connection to goth until I visited these forums... which is about, what, 2 weeks ago?

Been listening to a lot of music I found reference to on here, like Bauhaus and Siouxsie & the Banshees, and it makes me realize I should have come to this site... before internet even existed! (sadly, I still remember that)

Anyway, the song that first made me doubt me non-goth-ness is Detonation Boulevard, by the Sisters of Mercy. I'm starting to cross over I think...
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-broken-harlequin
Then I saw these nice spiky bangles at the london dungeon (like a dark ages amusement park to you amricanadians).
I love the London Dungeon! Though their Jack the Ripper tour was nowhere near scary enough!
Old 07-19-2007, 02:40 PM   #86
KontanKarite

Mmm...

I was raised on the cure and Synthwave or whatever you call it as a child.

I grew up listening to that synthy sound essentially. Got into Orgy, found they covered New Order, Got into New Order heavily, found out they used to be Joy Division. Then Dead Souls came along.

SOLD.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #87
KT_Grape

Midnight Queen - Inkubus Sukkubus slurrped me into the entire scene
KT_Grape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:41 AM   #88
ruaidh

It's interesting to see all the different paths people took to get here. I was just a little enya loving hippie spawn for most of my adolescence. When I moved to a new town the crowd I started to hang with was darker and I was exposed to a completely different way of life. Mostly 80s pop, Billy Idol, Depeche Mode, but also Otep and Type O Negative ushered me in.
ruaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #89
PutridLily

It feels strange knowing that a few years ago I didn't know this type of music existed. I had a brief encounter with Sisters of Mercy and then I discovered Siouxsie and the Banshees, and it went from there. 'Dear Prudence' and 'Happy House' still haunt me, I think other than Sisters of Mercy songs they were a few of the first I heard.
PutridLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 09:20 AM   #90
Jonathan Strange

If you consider Ethereal goth, then The Carnival is Over by Dead Can Dance.

Then Passion of Lovers by Bauhaus.
Jonathan Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:10 AM   #91
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Is_My_Sin
A teacher made me a tape of some Sisters Of Mercy songs after I told him I liked Nightwish.

He handed it to me & said "Now here's some REAL goth music."
Heh, somebody just earned their professional title. ;-)
Old 07-29-2007, 07:16 AM   #92
delicti

I'm pretty sure it was something off of Floodland; a friend of mine was pretty obsessed with the album (can't blame him). I don't think either of us knew it was goth at the time.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:49 AM   #93
Vyvian Blackthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Strange
If you consider Ethereal goth, then The Carnival is Over by Dead Can Dance.

Good goth... I AM SOOO GLAD you did not use the term 'Darkwave' to describe Dead Can Dance

Oh, I like you already

Goth forever
Goth Forever
Goth forever
Old 07-29-2007, 09:03 AM   #94
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyvian Blackthorne
[color=DarkOrchid]Good goth... I AM SOOO GLAD you did not use the term 'Darkwave' to describe Dead Can Dance

Oh, I like you already
Gah, that's been done?
Old 07-29-2007, 09:25 AM   #95
Vyvian Blackthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicti
Gah, that's been done?
Gah indeed. I have a problem with the term 'Darkwave'. It went from Etheral Goth to Electronica, and now it's just a term for goth bands to hide the fact they ARE a goth band.

O_o

Goth forever
Old 07-29-2007, 07:31 PM   #96
Jonathan Strange

I have a problem with dark wave too.

As of currently, the only band I call, "dark wave" is bands like The Crux shadows, which could also be Synth pop, but whatever.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:08 PM   #97
deafasadoornail

I liked The Cure and NIN in high school, but I was into whatever was playing on VH1 - so everything from those bands to rap and pop and god knows what.

Finally, someone sat me down and played Joy Division's "Love will Tear Us Apart" for me -- and I HATED it. So then they played "The Eternal," and I'm thinking, ok, I hate this a little less. Then the song wormed it's way into my subconscious....
deafasadoornail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:30 PM   #98
KontanKarite

Wouldn't that make Darkwave and goth interchangable then?

I dunno why people get upset with that word. It's not like we don't know any better.

Dead Can Dance is DEFFINATELY not Darkwave. They are Etherial like Black Tape for a Blue Girl.

I'm on an odd Etherial kick latly. It's nice.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:08 AM   #99
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyvian Blackthorne
Gah indeed. I have a problem with the term 'Darkwave'. It went from Etheral Goth to Electronica, and now it's just a term for goth bands to hide the fact they ARE a goth band.
That's so bizarre, they're not even close to electronica either. They've always been really world-music obsessed, so I know they basically have attached themselves to that (and appropriately so). I don't remember them ever commenting about the amount of goths that listen, but they're always so nice on video and on stage, I doubt they have the same problem with it that so many other bands have had.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:23 AM   #100
Jonathan Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Wouldn't that make Darkwave and goth interchangable then?

I dunno why people get upset with that word. It's not like we don't know any better.

Dead Can Dance is DEFFINATELY not Darkwave. They are Etherial like Black Tape for a Blue Girl.

I'm on an odd Etherial kick latly. It's nice.
Me and my mom have been listening to Dead Can Dance and Faith and The Muse when we get school supplies for the family. My mom is so cool.