Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:12 PM   #76
Ruler Of Evil

Well, I've read some of the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice, and I had a book (Vampire Lestat signed by her) when I saw her at a book store (then I lent the book out and it was never returned to me, damn it). But overall, if you can live through it, you should try reading Interview With The Vampire 1st, then The Vampire Lestat, and The Queen of the Damned (as they 3 books of a larger series. But I must warn you, the ending in the Vampire Lestat wasn't all that great, and Queen of the Damned wasn't either. But, the next book (sequel to Queen of the Damned) was the Tale of the Body Thief - and it was ok. And I've read The Vampire Armand (but it was a bit dry- BUT you get to see who Armand really is - btw, he isn't French).

But one thing you can do, you can look up some history books about a Nobleman named Vlad Tepes of the Draconian Order, and you can kinda figure out how he became associated with being a "wicked" vampire named Dracula.

Well, hope this helps.
Ruler Of Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:05 AM   #77
WolfInstinct

Hmm, I keep trying to read Dracula, but Right when I get into it, I lose it!
It's not fair.
When I try to write about vampires. . . it turns out stupid :P
WolfInstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:49 AM   #78
Minyaliel

WolfInstinct - really? How strange... I'm reading it, too, at the moment, and have only a little more than a hundred pages left. I never had any problems with it, in fact, it's one of those books that's had me absolutely captured by every aspect of it...
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 04:09 AM   #79
WolfInstinct

Yeah, the book is awesome, BUT! when I get about 100 pages in, I go to reach for it in it's usual spot, and *GASP* It's gone! Then I'm too lazy to get up and look for it. This time it turned up in the fridge. . . yes, the fridge.
WolfInstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:23 AM   #80
Minyaliel

HAHAHAHA!!! *grins* Have you been sleepwalking again? ;D Alright, off topic. Umm...
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:10 PM   #81
transformingfate

If you like vampires...An interesting and well-written book by Robin McKinley may interest you. It's called Sunshine. The vampires are a bit more original than most and the storyline is anything but boring. The main character is not herself a vampire, but the story revolves around them and her relationship with one. I really enjoyed it.
transformingfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 12:38 PM   #82
Slap Your Love

I'm quite the fan of vampire novels. Anne Rice being my sole love although there are other Authors; Ane Rice is my love. Her books are wonderfuly Dark and have a great Romantic feel, and are Greatly Detailed and a lovely storyline. Although I'm saddened after reading all of the Vampire Chronicles for the reason that she will never write another novel, but there will always be other Vampire Novels out there for me.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:54 PM   #83
roserougesang

Another good author who writes vampire novels is Chelsea Quinn Yabro. I'm currently reading her book Hotel Transylvania and I like what I see so far. Along with that book there are about 24 other books in the series about a vampire named Saint-Germain, who was created in 2119BC. In chronological order, the first book is set in 68 BC in Rome and the latest one is set in 1936-38 in US (he's been around for a long time, eh? )
So, in short, if you're a fan of Anne Rice I recommend Chelsea Quinn Yarbro as well.
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:31 PM   #84
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformingfate
If you like vampires...An interesting and well-written book by Robin McKinley may interest you. It's called Sunshine. The vampires are a bit more original than most and the storyline is anything but boring. The main character is not herself a vampire, but the story revolves around them and her relationship with one. I really enjoyed it.
One of my favourite books of all time! Lestat and Louis are nothing next to the ever-sexy Constantine.

And I'm definitely checking out Chelsea Quinn Yabro.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:32 AM   #85
Slap Your Love

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by roserougesang
Another good author who writes vampire novels is Chelsea Quinn Yabro. I'm currently reading her book Hotel Transylvania and I like what I see so far. Along with that book there are about 24 other books in the series about a vampire named Saint-Germain, who was created in 2119BC. In chronological order, the first book is set in 68 BC in Rome and the latest one is set in 1936-38 in US (he's been around for a long time, eh? )
So, in short, if you're a fan of Anne Rice I recommend Chelsea Quinn Yarbro as well.
This sounds good. Maybe I should read it. ^.^
Old 09-08-2006, 12:01 PM   #86
angel011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
One of my favourite books of all time! Lestat and Louis are nothing next to the ever-sexy Constantine.

And I'm definitely checking out Chelsea Quinn Yabro.
I've read Sunshine too and loved it.

Ever-sexy Constantine? It is strange, is it not, that the guy is described as very ugly, and yet there's that sexy feel about him.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:51 PM   #87
Seraphynth

This is the year I plan to add to my vampire literature...
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but there's no others and I don't wish to start another one. x:

So far I've got:
Lost Souls
Twilight
New Moon
Sunshine
Salem's Lot
Vampire Hunter D (vol 1 and 2)
The Vampire de Sade
In the Forrests of the Night
(I've also read Demon in My View, but don't own it)

I'm fixing to read In the Name of the Vampire which is laying on my desk.

Out of all of those, Sunshine (which I only just finished reading) is the one I like best. It's the most original take I've read on vampires. Constantine is such an interesting character. He's so sexy despite his description of ugliness. And I find it interesting how Sunshine herself seems to be more in love with him than with her boyfriend.

I've tried reading Stoker's Dracula, but I never get vary far. As much as I love the movie with Bela Lugosi, I can't get into the novel.

As popular as Twilight and it's sequel New Moon seem to be with horny female teenagers, they're not horrid books. They're actually rather enjoyable. I love romance so it's granted I'd enjoy those two.

In the Forrests of the Night and Demon in My View are two books I wish I could forget I've read. They're not so great.

I've also read The Silver Kiss. And I have to wonder why I don't own it. :C I think it's because I've actually never seen it in a bookstore, it took me forever to find it in a library (finally found it towards the end of 6th grade! ). I need to track a copy of this down.
Seraphynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:53 PM   #88
~bLoOd_MoOn~

Ah, I loved Twilight and New Moon, and I am anticipating the third book, due to come out this August, called Eclipse.

I saw mention of other books that I really enjoyed, including Sunshine.

Oh, and if you liked Twilight and New Moon, then read The Vampire Diaries, a series of four books; they're really great.

Anyway, way back to the beginning of this thread, I was reading through the posts when I got to Mood's. She mentioned that Anne Rice is the only author who has written the perfect vampire novels, and I couldn't agree with her more. In my personal opinion, Anne Rice is the goddess of vampire literature, and I've read the entire Vampire Chronicles except for two books. I've read Interview With the Vampire three times (or was it four?), The Vampire Lestat twice, Tale of the Body Thief twice, The Vampire Armand twice, and one of her books from New Tales of the Vampires, Vittorio the Vampire--well, I've read that one twice, too. Yeah, I know, it's probably weird to re-read books all the time, but, well, I am weird.

Aside from those, I've read so many vampire novels that I couldn't possibly list all the titles here. One thing that pisses me off, however, is that you can hardly ever find a vampire novel that isn't some sleazy romance with a vulgar sex scene every other chapter. I mean, sure, I don't mind it once in a while, but I appreciate a story with a good plot line that's focused on something other than whether or not a couple's relationship can survive one of them being a vampire--hence why I love Anne Rice.
~bLoOd_MoOn~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:41 AM   #89
Redgauntlet

You guys should try and find "Varney The Vampyre or The Feast of Blood" by Rymer/Prest. It's a Penny Dreadful serials reprinted into a book, two volumes by Dover. It predates Dracula. Don't know if it's in print right now. Just nabbed those two books at a used bookstore.
Penny Dreadful is Victorian Era's idea of pulp fiction. Haven't read it just yet. Let you guys know what I think.
Redgauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:59 AM   #90
childofdarkness

I'm reading the Vampire Lestat at the moment... I've also been given a book by my drama teacher called 'The complete book of Vampires' by Leonard R.N. Ashley... She found it in the staff room, and decided that I might like to read it =D
Its quite interesting, especially I was in the middle of an on-going debate as to whether Vampires sleep in coffins or caves...
childofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote