Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:21 AM   #101
lena

I just recently got really into nightwish. I heard it on a friends myspace, and just totally fell for it. So I got "once" this weekend. My favorite song is Nemo. The CD has been playing non-stop since i bought it. So now, I was reading through the thread, and I am totally bummed out over them getting a new lead singer, I hope whoever they get has that "almost opera" sound that tarja has. It makes them sound so unique. But just in case, I think I will go out and buy all the old CDs I can find.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:35 PM   #102
darkmartin82

I do like nightwish, at the time I bought most of their albums, the latest being Nemo.
I used to listen to them almost constantly, howerver I did get bored with it. I do listen to them occasionaly and like them.

Tajra's voice has been getting less powerfull in the later albums. it was much better in oceanbourn, century child and especialy nemo are a bit less vocaly speaking.

I do hope that they find a vocalist that can avoid/overcome the comparison with tarja. They would need to move on.
darkmartin82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:51 PM   #103
CreepyTendencies

I like their cover of Over the Hills and Far Away. My husband is into them, and has all of their CD's. They were cool to see live in concert. I'm glad I got to see them before Tarja left. I'm curious to see what kind of new vocalist they're gonna end up with, as I think her shoes will be difficult to fill.
CreepyTendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:28 PM   #104
Feralboy101

I've just started listening to them.I only have "Planet Hell" and "Riddler Riddler" right now. I actually enjoy their music quite a bit. Their guitar is a bit excessively energetic, but I love the lyrics. I really do enjoy Orchestral Gothic Metal.Excellent genre. Another good band if you like them would be Umbra Et Imago.
Feralboy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:16 PM   #105
Igniseus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyTendencies
I like their cover of Over the Hills and Far Away. My husband is into them, and has all of their CD's. They were cool to see live in concert. I'm glad I got to see them before Tarja left. I'm curious to see what kind of new vocalist they're gonna end up with, as I think her shoes will be difficult to fill.
I never got chance to see them live, and their my favourite band too

Ah well, lets hope they get a good replacement, though i agree with you that it'll be tough, Tarja is one of a kind.
Igniseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #106
succubus,queenofvampires

Quote:
Originally Posted by lena
I just recently got really into nightwish. I heard it on a friends myspace, and just totally fell for it. So I got "once" this weekend. My favorite song is Nemo. The CD has been playing non-stop since i bought it. So now, I was reading through the thread, and I am totally bummed out over them getting a new lead singer, I hope whoever they get has that "almost opera" sound that tarja has. It makes them sound so unique. But just in case, I think I will go out and buy all the old CDs I can find.
Yeah,if you like "Once", then you should definitely check out their older stuff. It sounds even more"almost opera"-like.

Cartman(South Park): It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a woman's separation; this sort of penetration will
increase the population of the younger generation.
succubus,queenofvampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:20 PM   #107
Virulent Dryad

Oooh their version of the Phantom of the Opera bothered me very much. I wanted to strangle the guy when he started singing *ahem* anyway, Nightwish was a pretty good band.
I don't think Tarja's voice is anything too spectacular, it's very good but there's better stuff out there. I wouldn't say she's one of a kind, in fact I think Vibeke from Tristania has a much better voice.
From what I hear they are changing their style so they may not even try for a similiar vocalist.
"Like that old tale, the girl who wanted to become the best dancer in the world. "Yes," said the sorceress, "but each time you set your foot on earth will be like knives slashing." "If you can stand the pain, you will be granted your desire."
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:15 PM   #108
One.A.M.

Hate to depart from the subject, but I have a question for you, Ash of Barcelona.

I was in Barcelona a few months ago and wandered into a really cool hand-made women's clothing shop in the Old City. The clothing was very Goth and looked like long beautiful shrouds or female vampire clothing. It was hand sewn white and black loose netting over black basic crinoline or gauze underdress. I lost the buisiness card.

Do you know what dressmaker I am referring to? Can you give me their name? Website? The store was run by the woman who makes the dresses herself. It was so nice.

PS. I loved Barcelona but was not able to check out the Goth Scene because it was during the week...sad. The city was fantastic though. Best Wishes.
One.A.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:25 PM   #109
tdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virulent Dryad
Oooh their version of the Phantom of the Opera bothered me very much. I wanted to strangle the guy when he started singing *ahem* anyway, Nightwish was a pretty good band.
I don't think Tarja's voice is anything too spectacular, it's very good but there's better stuff out there. I wouldn't say she's one of a kind, in fact I think Vibeke from Tristania has a much better voice.
From what I hear they are changing their style so they may not even try for a similiar vocalist.
I agree about her voice. I mean it's better than some, but way too operatic for their music. And of course they are going to change their style. After this many albums they are going to start repeating themselves more and more so the only choice is either to stop making music alltogether or start experimenting.
tdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:19 AM   #110
Legacy of Wulf

I like Nightwish a decent bit. I used to have everything imaginable by them on my compute before my entire music folder got wiped out. I haven't listened to them much lately though.
Legacy of Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:50 AM   #111
wunky

i've seen them live. they were good, but i honestly expected them to be a bit better. having said that, i saw them in september 2005, about four weeks before they kicked out tarja so maybe that was just inter-band tensions filtering through.

as for tarja's solo work, she has a beautiful voice but it's just kinda souless and unoriginal. sje's jsut like antoher pop-opera diva now.

*sigh* hope the new singer's good.........
wunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #112
Beowulf

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunky
i've seen them live. they were good, but i honestly expected them to be a bit better. having said that, i saw them in september 2005, about four weeks before they kicked out tarja so maybe that was just inter-band tensions filtering through.

as for tarja's solo work, she has a beautiful voice but it's just kinda souless and unoriginal. sje's jsut like antoher pop-opera diva now.

*sigh* hope the new singer's good.........

I hope so too wunky, as I said to someone else earlier on in this thread, it will be interesting to see who the new singer will be, and how she will handle both the new material, and how she performs the older songs (that Tarja sang), only time will tell.

Also they must be a good songwriter that can add a new dimension to their music, and hopefully more into metal music, than Tarja was (Kerrang suggested in an interview with Nighwish, last summer, that Tarja was not a big fan of metal music).
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:10 AM   #113
Vitsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunky
i've seen them live. they were good, but i honestly expected them to be a bit better.
Me too.
But I got to see them with the new vocalist if it was for Tarja and Cabuli-thing.
I own all their records expect the live-cd and End of Era. I don't like Once. It doesn't sound like Nightwish what I was used to listen. I don't recognize it. It's so different from the other records and it doesn't sound like Nightwish. And Tarja's singing isn't the very best of her. She is too selfconfident. Like too clean.
Century Child, Oceanborn and Angels Fall First are much better than Once and they sound like the good old Nightwish. And those still sound good even I have listened for example Century Child over three years.
Vitsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:13 AM   #114
Trinity the Shewolff

I love Nightwish. I've been a fan of Nightwish for a few years now. Friend of mine went to Helsinki for the end of the tour concert. He loved it. the dvd is out now, I'm listening to it right now..

My fave song is I think; dead to the world, dark chest of wonders, Creek Mary's blood, Planet hell. Yep those are my fave's.

Only a shame that Tarja's out of it. They're looking for a lead singer now. A real bugger that she's out of it, because she had a beautiful voice.
Trinity the Shewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:35 AM   #115
Child_of_Fury

I like Nightwish as well. I've liked the band ever since... well, ever since forever, I guess. The rumors about firing Tarja from the band have gone wild and somewhat ridiculous here in Finland. I'll say, Nightwish will never reach the same popularity with some new face than they did with Tarja.
Child_of_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:23 PM   #116
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Ummmm, I know this is probably bad, but I have never heard of them.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #117
Godslayer Jillian

Holy Twinkie! Are you serious?
It's like never had known the Super Mario Bros. song

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:23 AM   #118
roserougesang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Holy Twinkie! Are you serious?
It's like never had known the Super Mario Bros. song
Who are the Mario Bros again?....just kidding

Nightwish are a great band, I'm not as obsessed anymore as I used to be but they're still quite high on the list of favourites. Too many good songs to choose the best though.
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:24 PM   #119
Godslayer Jillian

Crimson Tears, I reccomend you to get a hold of the songs Creek Mary's Blood, Planet Hell, and Nemo. I think you'll like Nightwish.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:31 PM   #120
She_Is_My_Sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Crimson Tears, I reccomend you to get a hold of the songs Creek Mary's Blood, Planet Hell, and Nemo. I think you'll like Nightwish.
Don't get me wrong they are fantastic songs, but much of the older stuff gets looked over too much. Over The Hills, Ever Dream, Wishmaster & Bless The Child are just as good as the stuff on Once.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:54 PM   #121
Beowulf

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Is_My_Sin
Don't get me wrong they are fantastic songs, but much of the older stuff gets looked over too much. Over The Hills, Ever Dream, Wishmaster & Bless The Child are just as good as the stuff on Once.

Hi,

I totally agree with you She_Is_My_Sin, I would definatly reccomend to anyone who is new to Nightwish, is the `Highest Hopes` (best of Nightwish compilation) Album...
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:36 PM   #122
She_Is_My_Sin

I totally love 'Away' & 'Beauty of the Beast'. But overall my personal favourite album is 'Wishmaster'.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:52 PM   #123
Godslayer Jillian

Oh, and there's Dead Boy's Poem and their version of The Phantom of the Opera.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 08-13-2006, 02:11 PM   #124
She_Is_My_Sin

I love Dead Boy's Poem! I thought Angel's Fall First was beautiful but much of their first album was awful.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:30 AM   #125
Minyaliel

Nightwish, in my opinion... ummm... *reads page again* you're not going to like this, but I despise Nightwish. The muscians might be good, but never let it show properly. The former vocalist was a total disaster, I seriously cannot listen to those tracks in which she sings because it makes me want to hit something. Her vocal technique is _bad_ at the best. I won't fall into ranting here, though. Instead, to those of you who do enjoy this kind of music, may I suggest a few other bands like Within Temptation, Leave's Eyes and Todesbonden...
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote