Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
HavelockV

Public Enemies - Depp, Bale, and Gangsters

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=...f-fea6d0c5d449

The link is for a brand new trailer for the upcoming 1930's gangster film about the notorious bank robber John Dillinger and Melvin Purvis, the relentless federal agent that pursues him, played by Johnny Depp and Christian Bale, respectively. French actress Marion Cotillard is cast as Mr. Dillinger's girlfriend and the project was directed by Michael Mann.

So far the period detail looks fantastic, as does the cinematography. Mr. Depp appears to give a more down-to-earth, realistic, but no less iconic performance and it is most gratifying to see him outside the cloistered confines of Tim Burton's shadow, and with a leading lady other than Ms. Bonham Carter.

Definitely well-suited to my tastes and something I will see when it is released in theatres.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
gothicusmaximus

Michael Mann is an excellent director. He should have been in the thread title.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
HavelockV

I agree that Michael Mann is an excellent filmmaker. However, I did not feel that it was necessary to mention his name in the thread title, but I did credit him in the first post.

Collateral was a particularly strong film of his that I enjoyed, along with Heat. I also stand corrected that he is the producer, not the director.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Yep Depp and the whole movie crew spent alot of time filming here in Wisconsin. Once you guys have seen the movie I'll tell you about one of the locations, which if I told you about now might spoil it, I'm not particularly sure if it's possible to spoil a historic movie.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Seidre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
Yep Depp and the whole movie crew spent alot of time filming here in Wisconsin. Once you guys have seen the movie I'll tell you about one of the locations, which if I told you about now might spoil it, I'm not particularly sure if it's possible to spoil a historic movie.
Ooh! I want to know...
Seidre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavelockV View Post
I also stand corrected that he is the producer, not the director.
Of this movie? He's the director.
Heat is awesome, as is Last of the Mohicans.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
Of this movie? He's the director.
Heat is awesome, as is Last of the Mohicans.
I turned off Last of the Mohicans after like ten minutes because I was tired and it was boring me. Should I watch it again when fiully awake? I was just wanting to see some slaughter.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
I turned off Last of the Mohicans after like ten minutes because I was tired and it was boring me. Should I watch it again when fiully awake? I was just wanting to see some slaughter.
Dude, that movie has some of the sickest slaughter scenes for which you could ask. I don't remember the opening being slow, but if it feels so to you, just bear with it. As soon as Magua enters the picture, shit gets real.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:43 PM   #9
Schazmyrrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post

Pray tell, I also want to know! But I hate spoilers and I am most probably going to watch this movie so I'll wait until after.
Schazmyrrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:37 AM   #10
Denchera

This might actually get me to a movie theater for once, it definitely looks like something I'd want to watch.
Denchera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:22 AM   #11
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
***WARNING LOCATION SPOILERS WRITTEN IN BLACK BELOW, HIGHLIGHT TO VIEW***
*During the trailer you see Dillinger(Depp) pulling a bank heist. This takes place at the Milwaukee county histoical society which is located in a former bank building with archetecture from the period.
* The shootout scene between Dillinger/company, and the FBI takes place at the actual lodge near the northern Wisconsin border that the real shootout took place at. The lodge still has all the original bullet holes from the shootout as well as the guns on display.
*The courthouse scenes all take place in America's oldest still functional courthouse which happens to be in south western Wisconsin

Other than those specific location they have filmed in Milwaukee, Madison, Oshkosh, and a historic Wisconsin Dells restaurant.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #12
moonvamp

This looks like an awesome flick, but if your going for historical accuracy, forget it. Lots of cool cars, tommy guns and Johnny Depp-oh yeah!
moonvamp is offline   Reply With Quote