Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 01-27-2010, 06:01 AM   #26
Lochnar

If I ruled the would corruption in government would be tantamount to high treason and carry the same penalty...lucky for everyone, I don't rule world. Or is it...
Lochnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #27
viscus

Politics, as defined as the exercise of power, exists in every social relationship. Like it or not, it's going to affect you. So I think it comes down to asserting yourself, or rolling over and letting yourself be exploited.

No man is an island, as it were.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #28
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus View Post
Politics, as defined as the exercise of power, exists in every social relationship. Like it or not, it's going to affect you. So I think it comes down to asserting yourself, or rolling over and letting yourself be exploited.

No man is an island, as it were.
well if I must, I will not be rolling over and taking the proverbial dildo,

that you can be certain of.
Amunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #29
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMeDeadly View Post
I think that TV campaigning should be illegal, as should public appearance. I think that you should only be able to campaign via radio, text, and the Internet. This would cut down on the "Vote for me; I'm handsome, eat beans and make sweet consensual American loving with my wife" kind of campaign. Of course, there should also be something that keeps candidates from talking about their personal life, which should not matter. They should only be allowed to talk about their politcal views and policies, how they would change things, etc.
You shouldn't be allowed to campaign on TV? You mean that the solution to voter apathy is to withdraw from one of the only mediums where politics can connect with the people?
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #30
the-nihilist

I think a computer program should just generate a random name from a database of people recorded by the Census Bureau.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #31
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-nihilist View Post
i think a computer program should just generate a random name from a database of people recorded by the census bureau.
wins best answer!

I hope they pick Englebert Humperdink
Old 01-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #32
Despanan

This reminds me of something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Watterson

Calvin: When I grow up, I'm not going to read the newspaper and I'm not going to follow complex issues and I'm not going to vote. That way I can complain when the government doesn't represent me. Then, when everything goes down the tubes, I can say the system doesn't work and justify my further lack of participation.

Hobbes: An ingeniously self-fulfilling plan.

Calvin: It's a lot more fun to blame things than to fix them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #33
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
This reminds me of something.
thats actually funny.

and it is easier to blame someone else than to fix the prob yourself,
but this is what I'm trying to get away from... if anyone actually got that at all from previous posts...
I hate that people are all talk, and I don't want to be one of them. But I don't need to vote for incompetent people to take action and the fact is people have placed a value on voting that is no longer applicable. most votes come from stupid people who don't weigh their options but just go along with the vast majority,

McCain got votes from a shit load of college age boys... why?
Because Sarah Palin is hot.

Howse that for an educated America.

(pukes on computer screen)
Old 01-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #34
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
thats actually funny.

and it is easier to blame someone else than to fix the prob yourself,
but this is what I'm trying to get away from... if anyone actually got that at all from previous posts...
I hate that people are all talk, and I don't want to be one of them. But I don't need to vote for incompetent people to take action and the fact is people have placed a value on voting that is no longer applicable. most votes come from stupid people who don't weigh their options but just go along with the vast majority,

Who the fuck do you know in college who voted Republican because Sarah Palin is 'hot'?
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #35
vindicatedxjin

Bahahahahahahah. Has anyone heard about the whole Sarah Palin/ Fox thing?

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #36
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Who the fuck do you know in college who voted Republican because Sarah Palin is 'hot'?
several people actually. I've actually had acquaintances of mine tell me this, and I don't know about you but I watched the news at the campaigning rallies and there were a HELL of a lot of frat boys who actually stated that they were there for her on national television. This disgusted me. Obviously this is not how everyone is, but the vast majority of voters are swayed by other influences when voting versus the candidacy purpose.

It goes the same for Obama, I guarantee you this because I lived in Hawai'i and I know this to be fact, that many people voted for him because (and I quote) "He's a good speaker" and because he promised change, and because he's from Hawai'i and we have to represent him...
blah blah blah.

I have not talked to many people at all who have thoroughly researched EACH and EVERY candidate that is running for whatever position they happen to be running for, and determine which person will be the best at the job description.

Listen JCC, I'm not demeaning your views on this issue, you have them, I have mine and I'm not trying to convince you to agree with me, just that you see my point, and you know why I've made the decision that I have made.

I'm not some college kid who hates the world and who says fuck the man because he's cramping my style. I'm an adult woman who is disappointed in the way things are done now, because no one thinks about the long term goals, they let emotion and surface issues cloud judgment, and they hand over the reigns of their own lives to someone else. No one should have that power, except for you.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #37
Ben Lahnger

Quote:

Whoa ... And Obama won the election because a bunch of people didn't want to see that hot chick Sarah Palin get in office? Or could it have been that besides doing a good job of fund raising and optimizing internet exposure, Obama's campaign got a few more African Americans voting that usual? And swayed a lot of independents to vote for him or against McCain.

By the way, the battle has never been about the masses. It has always been about swaying the hearts and minds of a smaller constituency that DOES think about the issues and does weigh a candidate for more than just their sex appeal. Why do you think the analysts in the last couple of elections have gone on so about the independent voters.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #38
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
Whoa ... And Obama won the election because a bunch of people didn't want to see that hot chick Sarah Palin get in office? Or could it have been that besides doing a good job of fund raising and optimizing internet exposure, Obama's campaign got a few more African Americans voting that usual? And swayed a lot of independents to vote for him or against McCain.

By the way, the battle has never been about the masses. It has always been about swaying the hearts and minds of a smaller constituency that DOES think about the issues and does weigh a candidate for more than just their sex appeal. Why do you think the analysts in the last couple of elections have gone on so about the independent voters.
right, I got to that in my last post. I didn't vote for either. I contemplated voting for Mickey Mouse... (Did you know that he is the most commonly used write in lol)

It goes to both sides most definitely. read below post
Old 01-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #39
Stormtrooper of Death

I don't hate politics, quite the opposite in fact. I just hate elitist assholes who think that only their system is the right way. Much like "Agree with me or face my wrath" kind of thing. Now I wonder who I could possibly be referring to here, some people from a past thread on here perhaps?

You know who you are.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #40
Still Jack

Sarah Palin has a chin like Schumacher.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #41
Lochnar

Sadly I too know people that voted for McCain because they wanted to bone Palin. And I know people that voted for McCain because all they saw in Obama was a black man. Is it any wonder that I hate people and no longer believe in using the carrot? The only thing for such petty minds is the welcoming embrace of the void. Vote for me for dictator!
Lochnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #42
Despanan

Quote:

Yeah, remember how those votes won him the election?
Quote:
Old 01-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #43
Alan

Are you actually suggesting political illiteracy is acceptable so long as it doesn't affect you?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #44
Despanan

No, don't be stupid.
Quote:
Old 01-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #45
Alan

Likewise, man. I refuse to believe that you don't understand why she would be disappointed that someone would vote because the think a VP is hot.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #46
Despanan

Why would you think I didn't understand it? She was using the fact that stupid people vote to argue that the system doesn't work and justify not participating in it.

That's fucking dumb.
Quote:
Old 01-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #47
Solumina

This thread makes me sad, even though most of the posts are insightful (or at the very least not idiotic) I hate seeing any go off about how they hate politics, especially when they do nothing to show why. Hating a corrupt system? I can get behind that, but how can anyone hate politics in general?

I, personally, love the process that we have in place. Sure it gets a bit fucked up, especially on the national level, but we still have plenty of ways to voice our opinions. Don't just bitch about problems, learn the ins and outs of the issue and get involved.

Write to your congressmen and governor. Hell write to the president, sure he wont read it but and aide will and if you have anything truly insightful then it may get passed on, at the very least they keep a tally of what issue people write in about and what side they are on).

Go to public hearings. Seriously these things are actually quite important and it saddens me to say that I know less than a dozen people who have been to one.

Get involved on a local level, it is by far the easiest and most direct way to affect your daily life. Even when it comes to big issues these guys frequently have connections with state and in many cases federal officials so if you can get one of them to really listen to you then you can make a big difference.

Lastly if something is really pissing you off then get off your ass and do something about it. As Americans we have a right to protest and we damn well should take advantage of it. Sure protesting can lead to fun things like tear gas and getting thrown in jail if this get out of hand but I figure if my parents could handle repeated experiences with crowd control then what the fuck am scared of?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:19 AM   #48
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Sure protesting can lead to fun things like tear gas and getting thrown in jail if this get out of hand but I figure if my parents could handle repeated experiences with crowd control then what the fuck am scared of?
Hear hear!

Also, who thinks Sarah Palin is hot? She looks like a GI Joe had a bad sex change.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:23 AM   #49
JethroAranas

stupid people says they will vote.
more stupid people votes.
the most stupid people are those who fly when they vote.

can't say im stupid yet.
JethroAranas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #50
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
Hear hear!

Also, who thinks Sarah Palin is hot? She looks like a GI Joe had a bad sex change.
I never understood why people said she was hot either. Maybe it was just my horror to a lot of the things she's done and stands for, but she always looked psycho to me.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote