Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #26
Amunet

well i dunno about anyone else here, but I never said I was sick of explaining my tattoo, I just asked if other people were. and who knows why you're so angry but if you didn't like the topic, then why post... just sayin.

maybe we don't like the fact that stupid people get stupid meaningless things on their body and like showing it off like it means anything to people who could care less. Obviously its someone's choice if they want a tattoo, but someone who gets tattoos normally gets them because it means something to them. It is an investment, and it's like buying art. You don't buy the first thing you see to be "cool" you look around at different artists and you get what means something to you, and I'm sure you can understand that concept.

I don't think anyone here is trying to "take that away" from anyone. Its a friggen topic of conversation for people who take their body art seriously.

take your pms somewhere else
Amunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:34 AM   #27
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
well i dunno about anyone else here, but I never said I was sick of explaining my tattoo, I just asked if other people were. and who knows why you're so angry but if you didn't like the topic, then why post... just sayin.

maybe we don't like the fact that stupid people get stupid meaningless things on their body and like showing it off like it means anything to people who could care less. Obviously its someone's choice if they want a tattoo, but someone who gets tattoos normally gets them because it means something to them. It is an investment, and it's like buying art. You don't buy the first thing you see to be "cool" you look around at different artists and you get what means something to you, and I'm sure you can understand that concept.

I don't think anyone here is trying to "take that away" from anyone. Its a friggen topic of conversation for people who take their body art seriously.

take your pms somewhere else
It's not a topic of conversation for people who take their body art seriously. It's a topic of conversation for people who want to use their tattoos to feel superior to other people. That's what pisses me off.

And it's not an investment, you moron. Don't you know what an investment is?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #28
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
It's not a topic of conversation for people who take their body art seriously. It's a topic of conversation for people who want to use their tattoos to feel superior to other people. That's what pisses me off.

And it's not an investment, you moron. Don't you know what an investment is?
I know what an investment is sweetie. and it absolutely is, it costs a lot of money, and its representing you. It may be unconventional, but it's still a piece of art, and you're a fucking idiot for thinking otherwise.
and NO ONE here said that they feel superior because they have tattoos at all, what the fuck are you on. God just fucking take a pill or something. You're like a little chihuahua all hopped up on cocaine.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #29
Ben Lahnger

This is just another reason for me to never get a tattoo.

And to be honest, I've looked at some of the large coffee table style art books that are filled with some gorgeous tattoos. Some have delicate color shadings and some show real originality and style. I have seen a few tattoos that actually stun me with their beauty. It makes me want to have a photo of them; it doesn't make me want to get one.

But most of the tattoos I have ever seen people wear run from pretty mundane to downright ugly. I don't bring anyone down with my opinion about it. If they're showing a tattoo off, I will politely listen and tell them I think it's nice, which on some level is true; I think it's nice that it makes them happy.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #30
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
I know what an investment is sweetie. and it absolutely is, it costs a lot of money, and its representing you. It may be unconventional, but it's still a piece of art, and you're a fucking idiot for thinking otherwise.
and NO ONE here said that they feel superior because they have tattoos at all, what the fuck are you on. God just fucking take a pill or something. You're like a little chihuahua all hopped up on cocaine.
LOL, you totally don't know what an investment is. An investment increases in value. REAL value. Tattoos don't do this, and if anything, they decrease in value as skin gets gross.

Anyway, that's not the issue. Do you fucking think assholes would come out and say they feel superior? Of course not. Anyone can tell, however, that they do. Feeling superior is a good thing. Over tattoos? That's just stupid.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #31
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
This is just another reason for me to never get a tattoo.

And to be honest, I've looked at some of the large coffee table style art books that are filled with some gorgeous tattoos. Some have delicate color shadings and some show real originality and style. I have seen a few tattoos that actually stun me with their beauty. It makes me want to have a photo of them; it doesn't make me want to get one.

But most of the tattoos I have ever seen people wear run from pretty mundane to downright ugly. I don't bring anyone down with my opinion about it. If they're showing a tattoo off, I will politely listen and tell them I think it's nice, which on some level is true; I think it's nice that it makes them happy.
that's understandable. I am always amazed at the steady hand some of these artists have, I could never do it. I've used a couple of different places, but so far the best artist was the guy on the west coast. He has been doing them a lot longer than anyone else I've been to though.
A lot of places around here are hack jobs, horrible shading, coloring, etc. It sucks. I want a few more, but I have yet to find a really good place in Mass.

Creative expression is acceptable in my opinion, regardless, but I hate it when I see young girls getting tattoos to impress their boyfriends, instead of taking the time to get something that has a tie to them personally.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #32
Ben Lahnger

Amunet, you can try to equate getting a tattoo to buying art ... in many ways it's very similar. But you should steer away from calling it an investment. When you invest in art, you are anticipating an increase in the financial value of that work, so that you have the potential to sell the art later and turn a profit. That is exactly what the definition of investment means when used in conjunction with art.

Your tattoo cannot have an increase or decrease in financial value, and it cannot be sold. There is no way to get any of your money back out of it (short of suing the artist), so it cannot by definition be an investment of the nature people mean when they talk about investing in art. And if you had some other meaning of "investment" in mind, I would recommend you choose a different, more appropriate word.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 02-03-2010, 07:54 AM   #33
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Amunet, you can try to equate getting a tattoo to buying art ... in many ways it's very similar. But you should steer away from calling it an investment. When you invest in art, you are anticipating an increase in the financial value of that work, so that you have the potential to sell the art later and turn a profit. That is exactly what the definition of investment means when used in conjunction with art.

Your tattoo cannot have an increase or decrease in financial value, and it cannot be sold. There is no way to get any of your money back out of it (short of suing the artist), so it cannot by definition be an investment of the nature people mean when they talk about investing in art. And if you had some other meaning of "investment" in mind, I would recommend you choose a different, more appropriate word.
I think I'm going to go back to being a bully here, rather than a casual observer. At least for this morning while I'm getting ready to plan my day.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #34
Amunet

Quote:
LOL, you totally don't know what an investment is. An investment increases in value. REAL value. Tattoos don't do this, and if anything, they decrease in value as skin gets gross.

Anyway, that's not the issue. Do you fucking think assholes would come out and say they feel superior? Of course not. Anyone can tell, however, that they do. Feeling superior is a good thing. Over tattoos? That's just stupid.
well I think that you're mistaken about anyone here feeling superior about having tattoos. that's ridiculous.

as for investments, here's an entire definition:

1. the investing of money or capital in order to gain profitable returns, as interest, income, or appreciation in value.

2. a particular instance or mode of investing.

3. a thing invested in, as a business, a quantity of shares of stock, etc.
4. something that is invested; sum invested.

5. the act or fact of investing or state of being invested, as with a garment.

6. a devoting, using, or giving of time, talent, emotional energy, etc., as for a purpose or to achieve something: His investment in the project included more time than he cared to remember.

7. Biology. any covering, coating, outer layer, or integument, as of an animal or vegetable.

8. the act of investing with a quality, attribute, etc.

9. investiture with an office, dignity, or right.

10. a siege or blockade; the surrounding of a place with military forces or works, as in besieging.

11. Also called investment compound. Metallurgy. a refractory material applied in a plastic state to a pattern to make a mold.

12. Archaic. a garment or vestment.

per this link: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/investment

we all make personal investments when it comes to how we look, or what we buy, and I, as well as some other people, consider tattoos to be a part of them, and their whole physical look. Just like putting on makeup, or clothing, or how you do your hair, etc.

The fact that I actually have to explain this is kind of amusing.

So invest in your intelligence, and understand a definition before saying something is, or isn't.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #35
Amunet

Ben, I understand your point, but I'm not the one who even initially said this to be clear.... but I do believe it is an investment in ones personal value to some. Some people find it more attractive to have body art, therefor increasing your value to a potential mate. So I do believe the word applies here, if that is what the tattoo buyer is intending... it's a fine line, but other people have told me that they felt this way when I was thinking about getting tattoos so I wouldn't say it's not logical to assume. thoughts?
Old 02-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #36
Underwater Ophelia

...you're an idiot.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #37
Underwater Ophelia

I missed g.net so much.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:04 AM   #38
Amunet

you're pathetic.

i can throw out stupid assumptions like anyone else... woohoo big fucking deal.

moron.

Intellect at it's best folks.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #39
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
you're pathetic.

i can throw out stupid assumptions like anyone else... woohoo big fucking deal.

moron.

Intellect at it's best folks.
It's neither at it's best nor it's worst. Intellect isn't really present here. You said something incorrect, and I pointed it out. Neither thing shows intelligence.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #40
Amunet

Quote:
It's neither at it's best nor it's worst. Intellect isn't really present here. You said something incorrect, and I pointed it out. Neither thing shows intelligence.
you didn't do your research before pointing out something that was "wrong" in your eyes. you just wanted to be right and therefor are not open to the possibility that you could be only half right, or wrong entirely.

You may not choose to invest in your image, but some people do. That's that. it does not apply to everyone, and just because you don't agree with it, doesn't mean its unrealistic.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #41
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
you didn't do your research before pointing out something that was "wrong" in your eyes. you just wanted to be right and therefor are not open to the possibility that you could be only half right, or wrong entirely.

You may not choose to invest in your image, but some people do. That's that. it does not apply to everyone, and just because you don't agree with it, doesn't mean its unrealistic.
I didn't need to do research, as I know what the word "investment" means. You can twist a little used meaning for your own purpose, but the fact of the matter is you are not using the word correctly. Not only that, but even if you WERE using it correctly, it's not the best word to use. I don't care about this anyone, though, because you'll just keep saying you used the word right. Whatever, I don't care.

And no, I didn't "invest" in any of my tattoos. I put time and thought into them, but the input>output. That's WHY tattoos are important.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:28 AM   #42
Amunet

Quote:
I didn't need to do research, as I know what the word "investment" means. You can twist a little used meaning for your own purpose, but the fact of the matter is you are not using the word correctly. Not only that, but even if you WERE using it correctly, it's not the best word to use. I don't care about this anyone, though, because you'll just keep saying you used the word right. Whatever, I don't care.

And no, I didn't "invest" in any of my tattoos. I put time and thought into them, but the input>output. That's WHY tattoos are important.
I feel that I used the word right, because I believe it to be the case in my situation. And I'm sure the other person who used the word felt the same way.

and the topic of the conversation was actually geared towards the fact that the OP feels people get shitty tattoos... so using your description, that would mean, the input is < the output.... which is WHY tattoos are important correct?

so agree to disagree on the investment thing, I don't feel superior for having tattoos, I don't think anyone else here feels that way, so lets move forward shall we?
Old 02-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #43
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
I feel that I used the word right, because I believe it to be the case in my situation. And I'm sure the other person who used the word felt the same way.

and the topic of the conversation was actually geared towards the fact that the OP feels people get shitty tattoos... so using your description, that would mean, the input is < the output.... which is WHY tattoos are important correct?

so agree to disagree on the investment thing, I don't feel superior for having tattoos, I don't think anyone else here feels that way, so lets move forward shall we?
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here...did you deliberately say the opposite of what I said or...?
Old 02-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #44
Ben Lahnger

We interrupt this scintillating argument to bring you this test of the emergency broad truth network:

Amunet, I'm going to stick with my previous statement on the use of the word "investment." You said, "It is an investment, and it's like buying art." That narrows the meaning of investment down significantly from a contextual point of view. While the other things you said about a tattoo changing the worth of a person may have merit, the sentence you used eliminated that meaning. It's semantics, I know, but if you are having a logical (or even somewhat illogical) debate, word meanings and nuances are important.

Again, I would choose a different word or use "investment" differently, as it seems you have since I last posted.

This has been a test. If this had been a real emergency, you would have been instructed to get a life. We now return you to your regularly scheduled argument.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 02-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #45
Amunet

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here...did you deliberately say the opposite of what I said or...?
I'm saying in reference to people with shitty tattoos, your formula would work the opposite way. shitty tat still costs $$ but the product is unsatisfactory, meaning: input<output.
Sooooo, if that is why you say tats are important, because you should be able to put in $$ for a great final product, the topic of this thread was about people getting tattoos that are less than the money they put in.

So what I'm saying is basically you are confirming that the product should be equal to or greater than the $$ you put in. Correct?

I think we should get back to the original topic here. Some tats are shitty, and meaningless, and people groping other people is annoying as fuck.

=)
Old 02-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #46
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
We interrupt this scintillating argument to bring you this test of the emergency broad truth network:

Amunet, I'm going to stick with my previous statement on the use of the word "investment." You said, "It is an investment, and it's like buying art." That narrows the meaning of investment down significantly from a contextual point of view. While the other things you said about a tattoo changing the worth of a person may have merit, the sentence you used eliminated that meaning. It's semantics, I know, but if you are having a logical (or even somewhat illogical) debate, word meanings and nuances are important.

Again, I would choose a different word or use "investment" differently, as it seems you have since I last posted.

This has been a test. If this had been a real emergency, you would have been instructed to get a life. We now return you to your regularly scheduled argument.
Let's bang.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #47
Amunet

Ben:

Pleasure as always ;-)
Old 02-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #48
Bloodflowers

Wow, people sure took this and ran with it...

I know a lot of people that spur of the moment decide they want a tattoo and will head into the first shop to get one done (admittedly including myself when I was young and stupid). I'm in the process of getting one of my own shitty tattooed fixed by a more skilled artist. Although those decisons may have been spur of the moment, the ideas for ink themselves were not. It was more of "hmmm... I've wanted to get this on my body for quite some time... how about right now?" Did those tattoos have meaning to me? Absolutely! About three days later did I wish I'd held out and gone to a better artist? Most definitely!! While they weren't absolutely terrible they could've been much, much better. My current artist fixed one already for me and has one more to do. Just seeing the amazing transformation she did on that one made me wish I'd never thrown away money on the mediocre artist, but you live and you learn.

I currently reside in an extremely small town (I kid you not, the closest K-Mart is a 2 hr drive) and there's only one tattoo "artist" in my town... and I use that word very loosely. He has no creative talent whatsoever (unless your tattoo is available as a stencil, you're out of luck) and literally tattoos people in his house. While I understand practice makes perfect he's at the stage where he clearly shouldn't be tattooing on people yet, let alone charging them for it. What personally irrates me about this guy is that he spreads vicious rumors about the nearest shops claiming that they use dirty needles and that he's the only safe shop in the area. Whenever people show me their poorly done tattoos it's always courtesy of this guy.

And as a side note, in this day and age I think it's really ridiculous for anyone to have a superiority complex associated with just having tattoos, especially with the vast number of people these days that have one.
Bloodflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #49
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodflowers View Post

And as a side note, in this day and age I think it's really ridiculous for anyone to have a superiority complex associated with just having tattoos, especially with the vast number of people these days that have one.
Thank You!

as for that guy, hopefully someone puts him out of business because that's a bit shitty. The work will speak for itself, anyone with half a brain will see that, so I'm sure his attitude and poor craftsmanship will catch up to him in the end.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #50
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodflowers View Post
Actually, I'm starting to feel like the oppressed minority for choosing not to have one. Any day now people can stop asking me, "Well, when are you gonna get one?"

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,