Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
Aaroneet

Forum Inspired by Tattoos/Piercings

Hello, I saw a forum concerning Tattoos/Piercings, and became curious. When I move out of my parents' house, or attend college, I will probably get a tattoo. There is one problem, however, I am allergic to most non-gold metals. Would it then be unsafe to let a non-gold needle to carve an image into my body with ink that might be rejected by my body. I was looking into lead-free ink, however, it looks pricey. I want the tattoo; I just don't want to wind up in the hospital because I got one. Would it be safe to get a tattoo, or should I stick to piercings?

Post replies if you have any advice.
Aaroneet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
Attitude_Stricken

Are you allergic to Surgical Steel? And about the lead ink I can't imagine that any good tattoo artist would use lead, but I'll look it up.
Attitude_Stricken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
Splintered

I don't understand why any tattoo artist would use any type of lead in their ink: That stuff is toxic. That's why you're supposed to wear gloves if you're shooting lead bullets, so it doesn't get into your skin.

If you're getting a tattoo, I'd check to see if you're allergic to nickle, titanium, iron, and I think, correct me if I'm wrong, chromium. Those are the elements that I think are used in surgical steel, but I'm rusty on my old chemistry labs.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
Attitude_Stricken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroneet
I was looking into lead-free ink, however, it looks pricey.
Good tattoos aren't cheap and cheap tattoos aren't good. If you aren't willing to pay for a quality piece of art then I suggest that you don't get a tattoo.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
vampyremage

I would highly recemend talking to your tattooist before hand and explaining your situation. I've never really heard of metal allergies being a problem as far as tattoo ink is concerned, although there are cases of allergic reactions especially with red ink. You artist might be able to give you a sample dot of ink to see how your body will react to it, or something like that. There are heavy metals in many tattoo inks and it never hurts to talk to your artist.
vampyremage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
Aaroneet

I actually haven't looked into getting an artist yet; I still have two years to go before I can actually pursue getting a tattoo. If, when I am eighteen, this is still something I desire, then it will be worth every penny. As for the metal allergies, they are on and off; my body sometimes reacts more strongly to the metals than others. Which can definitely complicate things.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
Aaroneet

And yes, Splintered, I am allergic to nickel specifically. I would have to find nickel-free tattoos.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
c130

http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Tattoo_ink

Quote:
ink allergy is extremely rare—after all, somewhere in the range of five million tattoos are done yearly with almost no complications of this type.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
Aaroneet

That was very helpful. Thank you.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:36 PM   #10
Splintered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroneet
And yes, Splintered, I am allergic to nickel specifically. I would have to find nickel-free tattoos.
It's not the tattoo that I'd be worried about. Tattoo ink, if I remember right, tattoo ink isn't filled with metal. [And it would seem stupid to be. The body doesn't need you to add more metal to it; it does that quite well on it's own]. I'm more worried about the needle/tattooing device, because needles can be made of nickel.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
Aaroneet

Then I'll ask for a nickel-free needle.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:59 PM   #12
Splintered

Good luck. They may not be able to supply it. I'm not sure if medical equipment lists the metallurgical properties on the side.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:31 PM   #13
vampyremage

I know that most metal allergies only really prove problematic when the metal is against the skin for long periods of time. I do not believe that the needle from a tattoo machine would be next to the skin nearly long enough to cause any real problems unless you are severely allergic. Either way, I suppose it may be possible to get a nickel free needle if you decide that it is needed. I assume that needles are normally made with surgical grade stainless steel?
Old 05-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #14
Splintered

Surgical steel sometimes has nickel.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:24 PM   #15
Attitude_Stricken

I'm severely allergic to nickel, it starts to eat through my skin yet I've had all my piercings done with Surgical Steel and I have Surgical Steel in 4 of my piercings right now with no problems. If you are concerned then you should ask a tattoo artist. There is a forum at bodymod . org that you can post questions to professional tattoo artists and body piercers and they'll answer.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:25 AM   #16
c130

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyremage
I know that most metal allergies only really prove problematic when the metal is against the skin for long periods of time. I do not believe that the needle from a tattoo machine would be next to the skin nearly long enough to cause any real problems unless you are severely allergic.
Truth.

The needles won't be made out of enough nickel to cause an allergic reaction even in the long term - you could be pierced with one and have it left in for days and it's unlikely it would give you a reaction. Remember a LOT of people are sensitive to nickel, but they don't suffer an allergic reaction to the tools and needles used in the medical world because they're simply not in contact for long enough for the chemical reaction to occur.

Btw I notice you mentioned the idea of a gold needle. I'd laugh if you tried to get tattooed or pierced with one of those. Gold is an extremely soft metal, and the sharp bevel at the tip would be blunted as soon as it pierced your skin for the first time. After a minute in the tattoo machine it would be totally deformed and blunt.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #17
vampyremage

If for some reason that standard needle does prove problematic do you think a titanium needle would be possible? I know for those who have problems with stainless steel its recemended that they switch to titanium, but I've honestly never heard of titanium needles before. Maybe its I question I need to ask bme...
Old 05-20-2007, 12:10 PM   #18
c130

Those would be way too expensive to produce. Technically, yeah they'd be possible... but I can't imagine any company would make them, except perhaps for reusable needles.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:56 PM   #19
Aaroneet

Thanks again. I'll know not to ask for gold, lest I come off looking like a fool. I'll simply have to research this topic thoroughly.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:23 PM   #20
kwaniesiam

There will be no reason for the material of the needle to irritate your skin, just make the artist aware that you have sensitivities to nickle.
kwaniesiam is offline   Reply With Quote