Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:43 AM   #51
Miss Happy Cat

Err… Understand what? Are you trying to say that some people should stick with their original style that they’ve set for themselves? Which I can understand; why make a sudden change in the way you dress? Eh? I’ve been wearing long skirts and dresses for ages and I can’t imagine changing just because I see someone else wearing a particular style and it looks good on them. There are loads of occasions when I’ve spotted an article of clothing or an accessory in a shop or online that I think looks, well, cool, but if it’s something that I can’t incorporate into what I already have, I won’t buy it.

It’s early and I’m rambling… I’ll stop now.

By the way, DG, that was awesome.
Miss Happy Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:01 AM   #52
Saddiction

It disturbs me how easy it is to influence others. I wish that people would just be themselves rather than follow fashion trends. Especially when said trends are more than just fashions, but a representation of interests. Nothing is worse than someone misrepresenting themselves for the sake of looking cool.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:09 AM   #53
Saddiction

Some people might find this type of thing flattering. Unfortunately I don't see it that way. I find it rather dissapointing, actually.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:14 AM   #54
killer_asian_Dax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddiction
Some people might find this type of thing flattering. Unfortunately I don't see it that way. I find it rather dissapointing, actually.
Definitely Agreed.

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:57 PM   #55
Saddiction

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:31 PM   #56
DarkGentleman

Hmmm, I'm a bit confused here, I can't tell if this was a good thing or a bad thing to evolve myself or expand my creativity in the cyber fashion. Did I misrepresenting something? I was interested in cyber for quite some time, but never got around to trying it and yet I have the opportunity.

Sewing is my representation of interest (as well as the lifestyle and music), I am being myself because of what I like to do and I thought I could show that without misleading the idea following the trends. Perhaps I have shown that the wrong way or am I wrong?

I'm not attacking anybody on this, just wondering if I have disappointed anyone? Or am I being too sensitive about this?

It does disappoint me when I see people go shopping for clothes and buy all the designer names just so they can be cool and fit in the society better than we can. A young woman buying a $300.00 handbag/purse told me; "You gotta pay to play". "Play fucking what?!" was my response or was it a a question? It was beyond me on that.
DarkGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:38 PM   #57
Saddiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGentleman
It does disappoint me when I see people go shopping for clothes and buy all the designer names just so they can be cool and fit in the society better than we can. A young woman buying a $300.00 handbag/purse told me; "You gotta pay to play". "Play fucking what?!" was my response or was it a a question? It was beyond me on that.
It's no different that dropping $250-$400 on New Rocks (which IS a designer name) or $150 on contacts, or the cost for supplies, goggles, or makeup. DG, I don't know if you have realized this yet, but you ARE paying to play. If you want to talk about why I feel a bit dissapointed, please message me about it and we'll talk.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:50 PM   #58
DarkGentleman

Ok, the statement I made there wasn't fair, I retract that and I apologize for that. I realize that clearly, I thought I was doing all this for fun and sharing my interest in this. I did spend some money on all this because I wanted to look different and knowing that my outfits are unique based on my talents.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:28 PM   #59
DarkGentleman

Saddiction, I sent a message to you. I wasn't sure if you got it or not.

I do feel bad about all this, I have absolutley NO intention of stepping on anybody's toes for any reason at all.

Once again, I apologize if I have offeneded anyone.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:31 PM   #60
Saddiction

I'll explain. Don't worry. I'm just on the telephone
Old 11-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #61
Edward Strange

I would so love to find out how you made that hat/dreds/thing. Tell me sir, how did you create such a fantastic item?

Breathing heard just below the floorboards.
The sense of something terrible rousing itself from
from its torpor.
Edward Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #62
Clockwork

Even if you were just expressing your love for Cyber and nothing much deeper, you still did an excellent job assembling the outfit, DarkGentleman.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #63
Graveyard.Crow

I'm confused, Saddiction, don't YOU as well like the cyber style? Or are you just saying you didn't like it on him?
Old 11-09-2007, 05:27 PM   #64
KontanKarite

Wow... I must have missed something. *shrugs and continues making his falls*

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #65
DarkGentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Wow... I must have missed something. *shrugs and continues making his falls*
Go back one page and look at my new pics.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #66
KontanKarite

Actually, I am rather confused. Well... not really. I understand what everyone is implying though.

I never really could be compelled to "go cyber". I dunno, I just don't have the adherence to really go all out. I don't quite see why I'd want to. I tend to enjoy the more romantic side of things. But I do like using elements of cyber IN it.

DG, you CREATE yourself. No, you probably AREN'T a cybergoth. I don't know. You seem to really like that EBM stuff.

I think it's a lot like falling in love. You can fall so hard that you run risk of losing yourself in it. Don't forget, DG and I may be off, but you're you before you're anything else and you're WAY cooler than what "cyber" has to offer.

I will say though, NICE craftsmanship. You really have some badass DIY skills that I can't help but envy.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #67
dark_dragon_of_ice

Its a fashion choice thats all ..some people read far to deep into these things.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #68
KontanKarite

Dark_Dragon, you're so fucking right man.

I'm not saying that DG shouldn't rock that badass outfit. It's insanely awesome.

I know what's happened though. I have a friend that I dragged out to see Ego Likeness, CXS, and Ayria and he fell in LOVE with the goth/industrial scene. I wouldn't say he's running with it like a madman, but he's really been charmed. I found it kinda odd when he said that he made his own "rivithead" outfit. But what can you do? He's an artist and he's inspired. Why would I want to stop that?

Experimentation wise and such, I really think DG has done a bang up job. Seriously. It's amazing.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:23 PM   #69
DarkGentleman

Quote:
Actually, I am rather confused. Well... not really. I understand what everyone is implying though.

I never really could be compelled to "go cyber". I dunno, I just don't have the adherence to really go all out. I don't quite see why I'd want to. I tend to enjoy the more romantic side of things. But I do like using elements of cyber IN it..
I think some people misunderstood me when I wanted try some cyber without going to the extreme. I still love the elegant style I have always been wearing; sometimes I go a bit on the rivethead too. The element of cyber I wanted to add was the cyberfalls so I had something to wear on my head to complete my outfit look. Having hair is one thing, but being bald like me kind of makes me look "bland" and having no style. So I thought having cyberfalls with anything I wear would balance that. My next set of falls is going to have a more masculine look to it by using the colors of Black, Purple and gunmetal silver. A combination of Foam and Crintubes is what I am using this one too.

I am basically doing this for fun, like you made some wonderful falls yourself as well as a few others here in Gnet and everyone's happy after receiving compliments from one another. Right?

Quote:
DG, you CREATE yourself. No, you probably AREN'T a cybergoth. I don't know. You seem to really like that EBM stuff..
I never claimed to be a cybergoth, I just have an interest in the elements of the fashion. I have always loved electronic music since Kraftwerk started it all, then over the decades the music has evolved to EBM and I am so fucking addicted to it.

Quote:
I think it's a lot like falling in love. You can fall so hard that you run risk of losing yourself in it. Don't forget, DG and I may be off, but you're you before you're anything else and you're WAY cooler than what "cyber" has to offer.

I will say though, NICE craftsmanship. You really have some badass DIY skills that I can't help but envy.
You are absolutely right on that, Kontan, I may have lost myself in this whole cyber thing without realizing it and perhaps because I wanted to experiment with what cyber has. I could just stick with the cyberfalls and still be myself as I always have been. Thanks Kontan, I'm glad you understand me on this and giving me more clarity. You make me want to hug you now .

As you mentioned "you're you before you're anything else and you're WAY cooler than what "cyber" has to offer.” I think that's what Saddiction was trying to tell me and I probably wasn't thinking clearly on that. I hope she can forgive me in this matter of misrepresentation that she mentioned.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:31 PM   #70
Saddiction

Not it isn't, actually. What would you know about it dark_dragon_of_ice? hmm?

To put it in an example that you high school kids can understand, what if you showed up to a 'social club' one day dressed as you always are, see something that looks good on someone else, and then show up at the 'social club' the next time or two dressed in a completely different style?

What I speak of in the case of DG is that in RL, he presented himself as a guy who enjoys old-school goth, wore corset jackets, black pants, and a bit of nail polish. This was EXACTLY how I pictured him even before I met him. I mean, his name is DarkGentleman for crying out loud! Even at the Anime convention (prior to even going out to one of the not-so-club night club nights) and everyone and their dog were dressed up in absolutely crazy outfits - goth or not, but DG looked no different than the other times I'd see him - except for the last two really small club nights.

All of the sudden, I introduce DG into the 'scene' here and then pretty much overnight goes all out cyber. - and I'm mean ALL OUT. New boots, new contact lenses, new goggles, new hair style, and makeup. To see something this rapid has OTHERS asking ME 'where did this guy even come from? why did he all of the sudden change his look?' even to the extent of 'he looks like he's riding your coat tails'.

Much of you might not know what scene politics are about in a small scene where everyone litterally knows everyone else. But it can be very cut throat.

To give a better idea, it would be like me (most of you know what I look like) heading out to a Rockabilly night dressed as I always do, and then showing up to the next Rockabilly night in an up-do and polka dot dress. People would probably not take me to seriously. Even though I do agree the style looks good on others - and some songs can be catchy, dressing up or changing styles because I feel influenced by the look or to please the masses, would definately earn me negative points in their little scene. Which I can understand.

As for it being strictly a fashion, you can go ahead and feel that way, but don't wonder later why people might not take you seriously. I'm sure you've had this very same conversation with 'goth'. Would Eminem dressing in poet shirts and pointy boots make him goth?

Don't get me wrong. DG is especially talanted, but I keep thinking of this tall romantic elegant character rocking out to Bauhaus in a respirator and synthetic hair. In other words, I personally feel it's a misrepresentation of who he really is. I do not know him on a deep personal level, but I have seen him a few times prior to this transition, and although he may say it was because he was shy, I often wonder if he would have transitioned without the extended invitation into the local 'scene'.

Call me elitist, I don't care. Bottom line is that it's other people who are asking me about it and so all I'm trying to do is pass along a bit of constructive critisicm.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:35 PM   #71
KontanKarite

I will say this, DG... It's totally you, really. I mean, the whole damn thing was DIYed by your own hands. It's yours and no one else in the world has anything like it. So in that respect, yes... it's cyber, but it's YOUR cyber.

Seriously, that shit is awesome.
*hugs*

Old 11-09-2007, 06:44 PM   #72
Saddiction

DG is very talented. I don't want to short change him in that regard.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #73
KontanKarite

Saddi, holy shit. I understand that all too well.

When the scene you're in is probably about 50 strong, a dramatic change could really put people off.

I honestly don't try to make fashion a part of my "goth" self though. Yes, it DOES make some people kinda mad because I'm 100% different every single time I go out. But hey, part of all that was experimentation. At my core, I'm very minimalist in nature. But when I go out, it's full time and full on. My style reflects my attitude.

I've tried about 100 different "styles" but I'm good with it. The less you attach the word "goth" to yourself, the more free you are to doing whatever the hell you please.

The only time I ever felt embarrassed about what I was wearing was when one of the other dudes there was wearing the exact same boots as me. Now THAT was awkward. The question was, "Who wore it better?"

Old 11-09-2007, 06:50 PM   #74
dark_dragon_of_ice

I think you misinterpreted what I meant ( most likely due to me in which case I apologize)..I wasn't trying to imply the cyber scene was just a fashion.
I was just trying to say that people will dress how they want and like to.I tend to dress in clothes I like and like using alot of different styles ...just like how I like to paint in a whole lot of different styles...I also wear clothes I don't really like but thats mainly due to having to due to it being practical in certain situations.
I also would like to inquire was the statement on emenem was you thinking that I thought that the gothic subculture is just a fashion?..or just sarcasm?
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:05 PM   #75
DarkGentleman

Quote:
What I speak of in the case of DG is that in RL, he presented himself as a guy who enjoys old-school goth, wore corset jackets, black pants, and a bit of nail polish. This was EXACTLY how I pictured him even before I met him. I mean, his name is DarkGentleman for crying out loud! Even at the Anime convention (prior to even going out to one of the not-so-club night club nights) and everyone and their dog were dressed up in absolutely crazy outfits - goth or not, but DG looked no different than the other times I'd see him - except for the last two really small club nights.
I still do wear my old-school goth outfits as you mentioned, perhaps I will wear them at the next Chimera (without the falls), I wasn't sure if there were any old-school goths there when I started going there. That was why I thought going into something new. I guess that didn't turn out to well.

Quote:
All of the sudden, I introduce DG into the 'scene' here and then pretty much overnight goes all out cyber. - and I'm mean ALL OUT. New boots, new contact lenses, new goggles, new hair style, and makeup. To see something this rapid has OTHERS asking ME 'where did this guy even come from? why did he all of the sudden change his look?' even to the extent of 'he looks like he's riding your coat tails'.
I think that was my biggest mistake and yet I have learned from that knowing to what Kontan just said that I got into it soooo hard that I lost myself. I am embaressed that I did that without knowing it.

Don't get me wrong. DG is especially talanted, but I keep thinking of this tall romantic elegant character rocking out to Bauhaus in a respirator and synthetic hair. In other words, I personally feel it's a misrepresentation of who he really is. I do not know him on a deep personal level, but I have seen him a few times prior to this transition, and although he may say it was because he was shy, I often wonder if he would have transitioned without the extended invitation into the local 'scene'. [/quote]

It was my fault for giving that impression, however I am still that "tall romantic elegant character" as I have always been. Those last 2 times you saw me, I admit that I don't think I was myself that much. I do sincerely apologize for disappointing you Saddiction. If you wish to know me a bit more , I would welcome that and perhaps I can regain your respect as well as having a friendship. If not, I understand.

Next Chimera, I shall be my true self and hopefully that will turn things around.