Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
Saya

R@pe victim forced to apologize to congregation

Quote:
CONCORD, N.H. — Tina Anderson was a scared 15-year-old when she was summoned by church leaders to stand before her congregation and apologize for getting pregnant out of wedlock.
Just minutes earlier in that evening service in 1997, a longtime church member admitted publicly that he had been unfaithful to his wife.
Now, 13 years later, Ernie Willis is charged with ****** Anderson, and police are investigating what church leaders knew about the assault and whether they shipped Anderson out of state to keep the matter quiet.
When the pastor heard Anderson's allegations, he told her that if she had "lived in the Old Testament," she would have been stoned to death for not reporting the attack sooner.
"He also said I had 'allowed myself to be put in a compromising situation,' Anderson said. The pastor decided she needed to be "church-disciplined."
"I was completely humiliated," Anderson said, her voice quavering at the memory. "I hoped it was a nightmare I'd wake up from, and it wouldn't be true anymore."
The Associated Press does not generally identify victims of sexual assault, but Anderson asked that her name be made public. Several witnesses to the church service involving Willis and Anderson recounted details to The Associated Press.
Willis, 51, of Guilford, will be arraigned June 16 on sexual assault charges. He was released on a $100,000 personal-recognizance bond after his arrest last week. A message left on a cell phone linked to him was not returned. A woman who answered the phone at a number listed to him said he no longer lived there. Court documents do not list an attorney.
Concord police also are weighing whether to bring obstruction-of-justice charges against anyone who may have concealed the girl's location during the initial investigation, which authorities say they were forced to shelve when there was no victim to testify.
After all these years, Anderson decided to come forward after she was contacted by a Concord police detective in February.
She told police she started baby-sitting for Ernie and Tammie Willis' children when she was 14. When she was 15, Willis volunteered to teach her to drive after her mother refused to do so.
During one of those driving sessions, she says, Willis pulled her into the back seat in a parking lot and assaulted her. The second attack occurred weeks later, when she said Willis came to her house, pushed her onto a couch and ***** her again.
Anderson said she realized several months later that she was pregnant, and her mother took her to the pastor at Trinity Baptist Church for counseling.
This week, Pastor Chuck Phelps said he reported the accusation to police and child welfare authorities within a day of his conversation with Anderson and her mother. He would not discuss the church discipline session or his role in relocating her to Colorado to live with a family of another independent fundamentalist Baptist congregation.
Police refused to release any reports, citing the ongoing investigation.
The current pastor of Trinity Baptist, Brian Fuller, sent an e-mail to congregation members Monday saying that Phelps reported the alleged crime to police Oct. 8, 1997. Fuller said it was not until three weeks later that the girl, "by parental consent and pastoral counsel," moved to Colorado.
Anderson's mother, Christine Leaf, when asked this week whether she consented to the move to Colorado, refused to comment and hung up the phone.
Fuller's e-mail, a copy of which was obtained by the AP from a former parishioner, contains two statements advising parishioners to remain silent.
"Instead of engaging in talk about this incident, I beg you to pray for all those impacted by this crime," Fuller wrote. "I love you tenderly and am confident you will only talk of these matters to our Lord in prayer."
That's just the type of control Matt Barnhart said drove him away from the church.
The Concord man said he and his family had been members of Trinity Baptist for just six months when he witnessed Willis and Anderson's church discipline session.
"It was definitely, unequivocally put up as two separate incidents," Barnhart said. As his children grew, he said he saw the "high control" the church was exerting over their dress, music choices and conduct.
"We left because of Tina. It nagged me for years. They blamed her. They shipped her off," he said.
Fundamental Baptist church leaders believe in the autonomy of each individual congregation. The website of Trinity Baptist Church states that "on all matters of membership, policy, government, discipline and benevolence, the will of the local church is final."
While in Colorado, Anderson said, she was home-schooled, had no contact with students her own age and was told by her pastors not to discuss what happened to her in New Hampshire.
She placed her daughter, born in March 1998, up for adoption at Phelps' urging, with a family he had chosen.
Anderson, now 28, was educated at a Baptist college and offered a job as a music teacher at International Baptist College in Chandler, Ariz. She was married, the mother of three other children, when a phone call out of the blue in early February filled her with dread. It was from Concord Detective Chris DeAngelis, saying he learned of her case through a Facebook page titled "Independent Fundamentalist Baptist Cult Survivors."
"I was kind of in shock, but I just answered his questions," Anderson said. "Everything is changing because I'm seeing the things I was taught for so many years are not necessarily correct. It's almost like I had blinders on, believing all of this was my fault."
Crystal Evans, a longtime friend and former classmate of Anderson's at Trinity Baptist, had joined the Facebook exchange and provided police with information about Anderson and her whereabouts.
Evans, who now lives in Boston, said she left Trinity Baptist Church when she was 18 because she found the atmosphere "very cold and controlling ... the men in the church all controlled the women." And she remembers her confusion about Anderson being sent away.
"I didn't understand why she was being punished," Evans said. "She was the victim."
Anderson said she wants the pastors held accountable for concealing her whereabouts and fostering an environment in which no one could question the church's authority.
"If they're not dealt with, the cycle will continue," said Anderson, who resigned from the Baptist college the day before Willis was arrested. "I do not, anymore, unquestioningly obey authority, which is what they would teach."
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...4tUrwD9FVGUK80
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
CptSternn

As bad as that is, she choose to join that church and take part in their screwy shenanigans.

If put in the same situation I would say you could you know - just not go.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
Saya

She was fifteen and her mom was the one who brought her there, she didn't choose it. She was so brainwashed it was only recently she realized that she wasn't the one at fault.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
triggerhappi26

It's fucked up plain and simple
triggerhappi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:51 AM   #5
Ben Lahnger

Sternn for fucks sake, I couldn't have had the presence of mind under normal circumstances (let along the particularly victimized state she had to be in after the multiple assaults and rejection from the authority figures that she was dependent on at that young age for shelter) to quit going to church and run away from home (because she'd have had to do that to escape her mother's influence) while trying to figure out what to do about being pregnant!

And you couldn't have either.

Sternn, don't be a jackass.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Scabette

Wow, that is messed up. That kind of isolationist church is basically just a screwy cult. Poor girl.
And CptSternn, she was 15, as well as brainwashed. Blaming **** victims = not cool.
Scabette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
ape descendant

When it comes to religions like that, there is very little choice in any matter when one is under the age of adulthood.

One can hardly blame a little 15 year old girl, who had been brainwashed into a controlling, abusive religion.

I've seen way too much of this kind of shit, way too much to have any humor about it. When I hear about yet another case of this sort of abuse it makes me want to scream untill my vocal chords are bloody, I want to pull my hair out until I'm bald.

But alas.... such actions benifit no one.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
As bad as that is, she choose to join that church and take part in their screwy shenanigans.

If put in the same situation I would say you could you know - just not go.

Enjoy your award.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:10 AM   #9
CptSternn

The first time I was arrested was when I was 14. I got my first job at 14. I moved out of my parents house when I was 15, which is the same time I got my learners and was able to drive. At age 15, one can choose not to do something or to do something.

I stand by my previous statement.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:57 AM   #10
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
The first time I was arrested was when I was 14. I got my first job at 14. I moved out of my parents house when I was 15, which is the same time I got my learners and was able to drive. At age 15, one can choose not to do something or to do something.

When was the first time you were r@ped? When was the first time you were pregnant?

You are such a fucking cretinous jackass!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 06-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #11
d0p3y

ignorance is bliss...

"No todo es blanco o negro, es gris todo depende del matiz..."
(Mago de oz)

"your life does not belong to you, it belongs to the people that love you."
(incognito)

"laying to ones self, is laying to the world"
(incognito)

"El que por su gusto muere, hasta la muerte le sabe."
(incognito)
d0p3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
That's you. You weren't a 15 year old girl who was forced to publicly apologize for getting knocked up as the result of r@pe and then, even after such a humiliation, forced to move in order to protect the guy that r@ped you.

Quote:
That just makes you an even bigger asshat.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 06-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #13
Saya

Can't say I'm surprised, Sternn's willing to forgive anything a church does.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
JCC

Sternn's a dick.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #15
Xombie

You're all acting like Sternn's insensitive douchebaggery is a surprise.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:09 AM   #16
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:

Yeah, yeah, and I'll bet you walked seven miles to school every morning without a word of complaint and nothing but a single chocolate button for lunch. Clearly you're just so super-special that being raised into and utterly fucked by a borderline cult before you've come of age is no excuse for not being as awesome as you. By the way, the significance of the age at which you learned to drive is utterly lost on me here.

Oh, and fuck you, by the way. I really can't emphasize this last part enough.
All Shall Be Judged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #17
ape descendant

It says something very ugly and disgusting about a person when they violate a position of trust and authority, and take advantage of an inexperienced youth.

Especialy in a community that is very authoritarian and controlling, in such communities, people are not encouraged to think for themselves, autonomy of self is discouraged, as are reason and logic...

In such an atmosphere these situations practically set themselves up. The inexperienced ones being the ultimate victims as they have no point of reference other than the community by which to judge their situation.

To compound the situation, the members of the community are often discouraged from friendships outside the community, they are discouraged from mixing in with the rest of society which is usually described as wicked or sinful.

That is probably why she only recently understood why she was not to blame, and the ultimate horror of the physical, mental and emotional abuse that had been done to her and then, swept under the rug as if it were her own "wickedness" that she was being "protected" from.

I'm wondering what ever happened to the jerk who did this to her, and how many other young people have fallen victim to that disgusting excuse for human flesh.

Be Kind

Last edited by ape descendant; 06-04-2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: *should have used spell-check BEFORE submission...
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #18
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Can't say I'm surprised, Sternn's willing to forgive anything a church does.
Whose saying I support the church? They are obvious whack-jobs, along with the parents. I'm not by any means excusing them or their screwy practices.

I'm just saying the girl was 15 - no one put a gun to her head and walked her into the church.

Maybe is just a European thing. Kids here start drinking when they are 15 or so - it is not considered a big deal. 14-15 year olds are fiercely independent and well capable o handling themselves, even if not deemed yet an adult.

They can drive and in many countries they can even join the military and/or be tried as an adult in court.

She had options. Sure it is fucked, no one is blaming her, just pointing out it is odd she didn't act sooner.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #19
Saya

You're more than willing to blame a victim in the case of religion. If its a company screwing over a customer, you're more than willing to blast the whole capitalist system and the United States. If its a church abusing a child and ruining her life, you say she should have just walked away as if it was an easy thing to do. Its not an American thing, its r@pe culture at its best. If you were ***** when you were fifteen and got pregnant, would your fierce independance have protected you? We blame victims and they blame themselves without any help from the church as it is, American and European alike, when you're raised in a church cult or your Catholic priest tells you you'll go to hell if you tell anyone about what he did to you, no matter what your nationality its not going to be fucking easy.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #20
DA1

I wonder if the denomination's headquarters has reached out to the victim? Understandably, she might not be interested considering the way the congregation treated her. Or have they lawyered up and instead of seeking to address the wrong she has suffered, might be circling the wagons to protect their financial assets.
DA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #21
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
She had options. Sure it is fucked, no one is blaming her, just pointing out it is odd she didn't act sooner.
How the fuck did she have options? Every authority figure she knew told her the same things. She was fucked over by the r@pist, then fucked over by her mother and other authority figures, and then fucked over by her church. How the fuck was she supposed to know she "had options?" Oh, and in your experience is it easy for pregnant 15 year old girls to run away from home and make their way in the world with no income and no resources?

Fuck you, you dick! But hell, I should have recognized you've admitted you were a dick already at the age of 14 when you were arrested.

I'm adding you to my ignore list, you tool.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #22
M.Valdemar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xombie View Post
You're all acting like Sternn's insensitive douchebaggery is a surprise.
This is one of the better replies I have seen.

Not sure if douchebaggery is a word, but am definitely going to use it from now on.
M.Valdemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:26 AM   #23
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Whose saying I support the church? They are obvious whack-jobs, along with the parents. I'm not by any means excusing them or their screwy practices.
Then why are you arguing against people who say that this is wrong?

Quote:
I'm just saying the girl was 15 - no one put a gun to her head and walked her into the church.
You know this for a fact?

Quote:
Maybe is just a European thing. Kids here start drinking when they are 15 or so - it is not considered a big deal.
So shit that has no relevance to the topic matters how?

Quote:
14-15 year olds are fiercely independent and well capable o handling themselves, even if not deemed yet an adult.
Just like there's plenty of kids in America who are fiercely independent and well capable of handling themselves... and grammar. That doesn't mean that 100% are.

Quote:
They can drive and in many countries they can even join the military and/or be tried as an adult in court.
So you're saying that a 14 or 15 year-old can legally drive in Ireland in spite of the fact that the minimum age to drive in Ireland is 17?

Quote:
She had options.
The same exact options (and, most likely, outcome) as in the place you live.

Quote:
Sure it is fucked, no one is blaming her,
Besides you.

Quote:
just pointing out it is odd she didn't act sooner.
Yes, it is so odd that someone scared into doing something other than she should does something other than she should. Either that, or you're just an asshat.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Old 06-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #24
Despanan

Quote:
Maybe is just a European thing. Kids here start drinking when they are 15 or so - it is not considered a big deal. 14-15 year olds are fiercely independent and well capable of handling themselves, even if not deemed yet an adult.
You aren't European.

You're an American expatriate, so when you ran away from home you were an American.

Plus JCC IS European, and he thinks you're acting like a dick as well.

So no, it's not a "European thing", it's an "acting like a total asshat thing"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #25
KissMeDeadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan View Post
You aren't European.

So no, it's not a "European thing", it's an "acting like a total asshat thing"
NO NO NO

Everything is America's fault, and everything good happens in Europe. Had she been a European child, *especially* an Irish child, she clearly would have taken down the entire organization, and put herself into the foster care system.

Stop living under a rock, you dumb American.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote