Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:40 AM   #101
christa

i just happened upon this forum by accident. i do not consider myself to be goth in anyway. im currently 18, and i started cutting three years ago. currently i have been cut free for 8 weeks. first of all. cutting is not a joke. for some messed up person to cut themselves for fun or attention... what the fuck are you thinking? ive been battling this for three years now, and its taken this long and i still dont consider myself *done.* im trying, and fighting it hard, but its tough. how could you think of just doing this for fun or attention? its like you are laughing in the face of someone with the real problem. my advice to you.
fuck off. get your own life. and quit doing this for attention.
thanks
christa
christa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:42 AM   #102
Vako

I can barely believe that people have rated this thread so highly. It has several gray circles. It's a hit. A real hit.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:12 PM   #103
maggot

Cutting can be done for fun, it falls in with blood play. That's like iof someone got out of nazi Germany and hated any one that was into S&M.

Some people just like it.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:52 PM   #104
mrs.wes straker

Quote:
Originally Posted by christa
i just happened upon this forum by accident. i do not consider myself to be goth in anyway. im currently 18, and i started cutting three years ago. currently i have been cut free for 8 weeks. first of all. cutting is not a joke. for some messed up person to cut themselves for fun or attention... what the fuck are you thinking? ive been battling this for three years now, and its taken this long and i still dont consider myself *done.* im trying, and fighting it hard, but its tough. how could you think of just doing this for fun or attention? its like you are laughing in the face of someone with the real problem. my advice to you.
fuck off. get your own life. and quit doing this for attention.
thanks
christa
Cutting one's self for fun is not laughing in your face, especially if that one doesn't know you or anything about your plight. Ahem. Some people have blood fetishes. Blood fetishes have been around way before any of us were even born. How can you take them personally?

That's like me saying that no one should be allowed to drink anymore because I'm a recovering alcoholic. Which, by the way, I am not.

This is not to say that cutting oneself for pleasure is anything like getting a buzz on. OK. Goodbye.

Last edited by mrs.wes straker; 03-09-2007 at 06:53 PM. Reason: needs to be edited!
mrs.wes straker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:07 PM   #105
MollyMac

As with any human behavior that can be seen as destructive, it depends on why it is being done.

Cutting for psychological release only because of a lack of options is *bad*.

Cutting to be an attention whore is worse, as those who cut out of a need they do nto feel they can otherwise abate from seeking the help they need.

Cutting as part of a fetish between consenting and informed adults, well, as Twain put it- "I don't care what you do, just don't scare the horses."
Old 03-09-2007, 07:20 PM   #106
mrs.wes straker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vako
Troll, oh, troll, may I pass upon your bridge? Drive-by post, came and went. Why am I giving this thread attention? Was the bridge suspension?

Leaving yourself open to infection. Boil that exacto-knife before dissection.

Posting lame poetry on websites gets me hot. Everyone is against me.

I'm going to go mutilate myself... NOT !!!
ha!........................
Old 03-09-2007, 10:58 PM   #107
darkness before dawn

Dude, cutting is like, so 5 years ago. Self-amputation is way more in and you get a much better adrenaline high when you cut off, like, an entire appendage.
darkness before dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 04:39 AM   #108
c130

Cutting's for wusses. This is what real men do.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:23 AM   #109
Midnight_Fantasy

I haven't cut for 13 months. I had a mental illness (anorexia..still do actually) and used to cut because the physical pain would take away the emotional pain but it just made it worse. I only mention my cutting because I hope it would help someone one day.
Midnight_Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:30 AM   #110
mrs.wes straker

Quote:
Originally Posted by c130
This guy had way too much time on his hands :-D
Old 03-10-2007, 10:42 AM   #111
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
This is pretty extreme. I wonder what possessed him to do this.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #112
c130

If you'll read it, it explains... lol.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:37 PM   #113
MissMercy

I think some people are being a wee bit harsh about cutting...
You can laugh at people who do it sometimes, but even if its for attention its is still bad.
MissMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #114
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
If you'll read it, it explains... lol.
Yeah, that occurred to me and I read it but it was too late to edit my post.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:49 AM   #115
Dancing_in_rain

Well...whether or not the poster was joking...
May as well address this issue anyways.
A) Cutting is not cool, not worth it either. You get scars which cause questions and questions which need answers and answers which create rumours. Not fun.
B) Earlier on, I posted a question about how to cover up scars and so on, which creasted a tidal wave of advice about how not to cut. (http://gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=5208) I have followed some of that advice and am now in "remission".
C) I did not/don't cut for attention. Mamy people do, just like many people don't. Do not judge a cutter; you don't know what demons they may be fighting.
D) Don't flame me about this. Self-injury is a topic that hits home for me and I don't want anyone else getting caught in it's vicious cycle, simply because I've seen what it's done to me and what it's done to others that I love and care about.

So please, don't hurt yourself. And it's not cool. There are other, more positive ways of getting attention than hurting yourself. Life goes on.

Yawn. This is rather tedious, is it not?

www.chansondeplume.blogspot.com
^Mon blog d'ecriture en francais. Veuillez lire et commenter!
Translation: My writing blog in french. Feel free to read and comment.

Dancing_in_rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:18 AM   #116
DarkHeartedDemoness

DIR-

I understand that self-harm hits home for you. It does for me too. A word of advice? Once you're in remission, don't get a cat. The people that love and care about me recently freaked out because they thought I was cutting again... It took many reassurances to convince them that it was just my cat.

That said, I'm really glad you're quitting. It's not a healthy way of expressing your pain. I haven't cut for months... It's difficult, and sometimes I hurt so badly I just want to remember what it feels like to scratch my arm until I bleed, but I know in the long run it's worthwhile.

Cutters are not always attention whores. Cutters do not deserve disdain. They're making unhealthy choices, sure, and it's destructive, but it's also an addiction. They need help. Even the ones doing it for attention need help. If someone is so desperate to be "cool", so desperate for someone to notice them, that they'll hurt themselves, they need help.

DIR, I'm glad you feel comfortable talking about this. It's important that this not be brushed under the table as an emo fad. It's a really difficult thing to go through, and a very difficult thing to overcome.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #117
Dark One

yeah, i agree that cutting definatly isn't worth it. it's been two months since my last cut and my scars are now, slowly fading. it was hard for me to stop, and the questions about my scars just casued more irritation, but i did stop. and once i had, i figured out that no matter what's happening in your life, cutting and hurting yourse;f doens't help.
Dark One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:59 PM   #118
raggedyanne

I don't think that the person who made this thread was right, but i don't think y'all should be so harsh. Sometimes was seems like an attention seeker is someone who is crying for help. Good goddess I sound like my therapist, but it's true. Right now I am in the remission stage of cutting, where I'm trying not to, but every now and then . . . Maybe instead of ridiculing the people who admit to cutting, we should tell them to get help. Personally, I hate myself so much for actually getting into cutting, that as soon as I'm old enough, I'm going to get a tattoo to cover it, but for now the scars just remind me of why it's better to talk to someone about a problem than hold it in.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:08 PM   #119
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyanne
Maybe instead of ridiculing the people who admit to cutting, we should tell them to get help.
I agree.

However, I think ridiculing people who brag about cutting (not admit, brag) accomplishes something. It's maybe not the nicest way to do it, but I think it can be effective. The way I see it, when someone announces that they cut to a board full of goths for status points, they want to be cool. When someone older, cooler, and "goth-er" than them laughs and says, "Dude, that's not goth. That's just stupid," the attention-seeker feels dumb for cutting. I don't know for sure, but it seems like it might help people who are cutting for attention quit.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 04-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #120
raggedyanne

true, self mutilation is decidedly un-goth. It's okay to make them re-think their motives, but some of the commenters here are just cruel.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #121
worthless1

cmon - " cuts are for kids"
worthless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:15 PM   #122
DarkHeartedDemoness

Go introduce yourself.

No, not here.

In the introductions section.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 04-04-2007, 01:39 PM   #123
Dancing_in_rain

Someone said something about exercising...I love swimming, have been swimming for a while and joined a swim team in September 2006. Now, when I've had a really bad day, I'll go to swimming training and swim for an hour and a half. By the end of that, I'm exhausted. Plus, my anger makes me work out better. I also feel fitter and therefore, happier. I see working out or in my case, swimming, as a positive form of self-injury, if that makes sense. I'll feel pain, my arms and legs will ache, I'll feel exhausted but I'll force myself to keep going. That solves the detachment problem. One of the reasons I started cutting was because I felt very detached from the world. Cutting gives me a rush and makes me feel more real, more in contact with myself and the world. However, I've discovered that swimming does the same. When I swim, I can't feel detached, because it involves so many senses. I can smell the chlorine, feel the temperature and the fluidity of the water, see the world all blurry, taste the chlorine when I mess up a flip turn. It requires absolute focus and strength from me, so I can't feel detached. Love it! It's an excellent way of getting rid of the excess energy that can turn destructive and makes me feel more grounded. So yes. That was my little promotional schpeel.

Yawn. This is rather tedious, is it not?

www.chansondeplume.blogspot.com
^Mon blog d'ecriture en francais. Veuillez lire et commenter!
Translation: My writing blog in french. Feel free to read and comment.

Dancing_in_rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:23 PM   #124
Clockwork

Oh, just use the shift key once in a while and stop complaining.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #125
Clockwork

Cummings was never a part of an online forum =p

Go on. You know you want to.