Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #526
Priestly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
It's not normal for it to bleed. You're stretching too fast with too big of a size.
FYI, if it's bleeding then it is NOT healed.
Hmm, I let it go for 2-3 weeks at a gauge before moving on to the next. 6g to a 4g and so on. But it's probably pretty likely it didn't heal if it's bleeding. How long should I wait?
Priestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #527
Pineapple_Juice

If you've made it bleed and had a blowout or somesuch you should be waiting MONTHS for it to heal before you move onto another size.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #528
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priestly View Post
Hmm, I let it go for 2-3 weeks at a gauge before moving on to the next. 6g to a 4g and so on. But it's probably pretty likely it didn't heal if it's bleeding. How long should I wait?
OK, before you seriously hurt yourself, listen up.

The MINIMUM you should wait between stretches is 1.5 months (2 if you've past 0) THAT IS THE BARE MINIMUM. As in, if you heal remarkably fast, you should still wait at least 1.5 to 2 months. Honestly, don't rush, you'll scar, you'll blow out, and you'll get gnarly cat butt.

Here's a stretching guide from Bodyartforms, written by the CEO.

Before reading this.. let's link out to some stuff that can & probably will happen if you stretch too fast or skip gauges:

1 BLOWOUTS:
http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Piercing_Blow-out

#2 CAT BUTT EFFECT:
http://www.molokosynthemesc.com/sear...am00033624.jpg
The skin on the inside of your ears starts to look like the wrinkles around a butthole. Nice.

#3 TEARING TISSUE (Thus leading to blowouts and cat butt effect):
http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Earlobe_Tearing

#4 THINNING LOBES:
http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Piercing_Thinning

#5 UNEVEN TISSUE:
http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Uneven_Stretching

Stretching Guide
How to properly use tapers to stretch your piercings

For jewelry you will need to start with a taper that has a flat or concave back, and a non-flare plug (with a flat end) OR a single flare eyelet. DO NOT stretch with a double flare eyelet because that will essentially stretch you two sizes at once. ONLY use steel, titanium, or glass jewelry in your piercing after the fresh stretch while it heals. DO NOT use organics or acrylic. Do not use pinchers or claws to stretch because it's uneven and doesn't flatten out at a certain gauge like a taper does.

Everyone has a goal in how far they want to stretch their piercing. And you want to get there as quickly as possible, but stretching takes time and patience. Only stretch up one gauge at a time. NEVER skip a gauge! This could rip your piercing, cause infection, and just overall make your piercing very ugly and nasty looking! Listen to your body. Stretching does sting a bit, but there should absolutely be no blood or excess tearing. DO NOT force or shove a taper through your piercing! Estimated healing time chart between stretches

Fresh piercing to first stretch: Approx 5 to 6 months
16g to 14g - 1 month
14g to 12g - 1 month
12g to 10g - 1.5 months
10g to 8g - 2 months
8g to 6g - 3 months
6g to 4g - 3 month
4g to 2g - 3 months
2g to 0g - 4 months
0g to 00g - 4 months

Soak your piercing in warm water (or take a shower) to help relax and soften the tissue right before you stretch.

Get some lubricant (For a natural approach use jojoba oil, vitamin E oil, or emu oil. For a basic approach use Neosporin or similar products) and spin the tip of the taper 1/3 into the lubricant and remove any excess. Having too much excess lubricant can make your taper and jewelry slippery to hold onto.

Put the small end of the taper in the piercing and SLOWLY push it forward to the larger end until you meet some resistance. Look in the mirror and if the taper is more than halfway through the stretch should be fairly easy. Take a deep breath and as you exhale slowly push the taper until you only have about ¼ of the taper left to go. You should now be sitting on the level end of the taper. Your stretch is done and you're ready to put the jewelry in. Do not take the taper out. If you feel a small burning or stinging feeling then your stretch was perfect, but it should not be causing excessive pain.

Line up your plug to the end and slowly use the plug as a way to push the rest of the taper out. This way you have a clean stretch from the taper to the plug.

Your done! Treat your newly stretched piercing as a new piercing. Wash it daily with an antibacterial soap. Do not touch it with your hands throughout the day.

This is for people who have stretched and then may one day decide to let their piercings close up.
Keep in mind that everyone's body is different, so this is not a set in stone rule, just a general guide to most people.

If you are at smaller gauges (say 10g, 8g, 6g MAYBE 4g) then your chances of it closing are pretty good.

Most people agree that 2g is the "point of no return". If you go to a 2g, expect it to be permanent. If you do take it out, it might shrink down to a 6g or 8g.

Just remember, any type of stretching should be viewed as a permanent modification. Think about it very hard before you make these choices, ESPECIALLY before going to the larger gauges like 2g and up.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:02 AM   #529
Priestly

@Joker
Thanks so much for the information. We might have avoided something bad happening had I continued. I looked this up online and my boyfriend also mentioned how he only waited a week or two to stretch to the next gauge. He had two 00g in one ear. What's also interesting is that people have such differing opinions. Mind you, I am no child who wants to rebel and stretch her ears. I thought I did my research. I even went to a tattoo and body art expo (http://www.bodyartexpo.com) and talked to some piercers who all said that the 00 gauge was the gauge of no return. Interesting to see someone say 2g is. It will make me rethink how I stretch my ears, now, so thanks. Always better to err on the side of caution, as they say.

I also had people who looked at my "normally" pierced ears and said that a 12g taper I bought was the appropriate size to start stretching at. Boy, did I learn how wrong that was. I should have figured the other info was wrong, too. >:/
Old 11-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #530
the_cure

If my ear piercing has become slightly infected what should I do? There isn't pus or anything, just a slight redness. I'm currently saturating them in cotton pads coated in alcohol. Should this take care of the problem before it gets to the point that I need to remove them?
the_cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #531
Priestly

Does it hurt at all? The rubbing alcohol might be too strong on a newly-pierced ear or open wound so I would recommend going out to get an anti-bacterial liquid like Bactine instead. It should help stop the infection, too.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #532
the_cure

No it doesn't hurt, at least not yet. As for the alcohol, I've looked to many sites and alcohol is what they suggest. They have been pierced for about a week and I was using an antibacterial liquid up until this morning when I ran out, so they have had some time to heal a bit
Old 11-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #533
Ophelia's Snorkel

I was going to suggest Neosporin twice a day, but it looks as though you've done that. If I were you (so don't take this advice too seriously - I don't always do the safest things), I'd leave it in while you're awake, slather with Neosporin when you take it out and go to sleep, then slather again when you wake up and put it back in. It's what I did when one of my ear piercings became irritated, and it worked, but like I said, try this at your own risk.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #534
the_cure

I believe that it will heal up if I take it out while I sleep, though I will start putting Neosporin on it more religiously. I think the alcohol I'm using is weak enough, since it is only 50%. If anyone knows any different please inform me.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #535
Priestly

Hm, interesting. Well, if it's been this long, then it seems strange that it would still be red. However, it's not unusual. Especially if it doesn't hurt or is not swelling. Because that would mean it is filling with pus and et cetera. Your body might just need longer to heal.

Apparently Neosporin doesn't have enough oxygen in it to be useful for piercing aftercare but I don't know how accurate that is. The universal aftercare I HAVE seen is a saline solution with sea salt. Get some warm water (not hot) and pour some salt into it. 1/4 tsp to 8 oz. water. Not only is it the most natural way, but the warmth of the water should stimulate blood circulation to get things healed. This was what was recommended to me after I got my lip pierced and it worked just fine.

This site had a wealth of info. http://community.tribalectic.com/articleson/healing
Old 11-11-2009, 10:50 AM   #536
the_cure

Well, my left ear is slightly swollen. But if there was pus in it it would come out when I pushed on it with my finger and that is not the case.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #537
Priestly

I'm sorry if you answered this already, but where are the piercings located? No pus is probably a good sign!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #538
the_cure

Just my lobes, and no I hadn't mentioned it. I think what was happening is that as I ran out of the antibacterial liquid they gave me this morning I didn't quite get enough on my left ear and therefore it didn't get cleaned quite as well. After the bath in alcohol the swelling is going away.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #539
Slap Your Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
OK, before you seriously hurt yourself, listen up.

The MINIMUM you should wait between stretches is 1.5 months (2 if you've past 0) THAT IS THE BARE MINIMUM. As in, if you heal remarkably fast, you should still wait at least 1.5 to 2 months. Honestly, don't rush, you'll scar, you'll blow out, and you'll get gnarly cat butt.

For jewelry you will need to start with a taper that has a flat or concave back, and a non-flare plug (with a flat end) OR a single flare eyelet. DO NOT stretch with a double flare eyelet because that will essentially stretch you two sizes at once. ONLY use steel, titanium, or glass jewelry in your piercing after the fresh stretch while it heals. DO NOT use organics or acrylic. Do not use pinchers or claws to stretch because it's uneven and doesn't flatten out at a certain gauge like a taper does.

Fresh piercing to first stretch: Approx 5 to 6 months
16g to 14g - 1 month
14g to 12g - 1 month
12g to 10g - 1.5 months
10g to 8g - 2 months
8g to 6g - 3 months
6g to 4g - 3 month
4g to 2g - 3 months
2g to 0g - 4 months
0g to 00g - 4 months
These times are ridiculous. My lobes are almost an inch now and I wait
2 weeks per mm when I stretch. That is the rule of thumb but it does
not apply to everyone. You listen to your body. That's all you have to
do. I have never had a blowout or rip. If it starts to bleed don't fucking
do it. Downsize at least 2 steps down if it does. More importantly, don't
use tapers after 0g. They are bad for your ears. Use bondage tape
for best results. Wrap 1-3 layers every 3 days and it works out well.
Wrap less if your body is irritated by it or more if it works for you. Also,
you can use acrylic and organic jewelry but only after you are healed
and don't wear it for long periods of time.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #540
D0PPLEGANGER

I've never seen an eyebrow or lip piercing that didn't look retarded.
D0PPLEGANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #541
Priestly

If you took into account everything you hear is bad for piercings/stretching, nobody would be doing shit. I have to agree that I've more often heard a 2 week waiting period, but hey.

@the_cure
If the alcohol is working for you, go with it. I probably would dilute it or use a saline solution instead because you can soak your ears in it, but that's just me. I remember when I first got my lobes that it was red and hurt for weeks and found it hard to sleep on either side, haha. So I'm not surprised.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #542
the_cure

Well I'm doing a bit better than you then Priestly. I can sleep on them no problem, and not much in the way of pain. A friend that works at a place that does piercings just checked mine and said the way mine was swelling is just from turning them and it forming callus and is totally normal.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #543
Priestly

You definitely are! I was around 15 or so when I got my lobes pierced and they were my first so I was unused to it. Now it's different, of course, but I find that most people have more problem with lobes than higher up on the lobe. Glad to hear that you got a professional opinion and you probably have nothing to worry about!
Old 11-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #544
Ophelia's Snorkel

Glad to hear it, cure.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #545
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Your Love View Post
These times are ridiculous. My lobes are almost an inch now and I wait
2 weeks per mm when I stretch. That is the rule of thumb but it does
not apply to everyone. You listen to your body. That's all you have to
do. I have never had a blowout or rip. If it starts to bleed don't fucking
do it. Downsize at least 2 steps down if it does. More importantly, don't
use tapers after 0g. They are bad for your ears. Use bondage tape
for best results. Wrap 1-3 layers every 3 days and it works out well.
Wrap less if your body is irritated by it or more if it works for you. Also,
you can use acrylic and organic jewelry but only after you are healed
and don't wear it for long periods of time.
Those times essentially guarantee you won't have issues, though I agree, its more about listening to your own body. I DID NOT FOLLOW THOSE TIMES EITHER. Basic rule is to listen to your body, but if you have any doubts, those times will almost 100% positively NOT lead to problems.

Personally, I like tapers to tape, though I may tape a little to get between 5/8" and 3/4".
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:27 AM   #546
Naked Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene/Calypso View Post
1 i dont know where
2 i dont know what to say
3 i dont know the rules (im new)
4 i can tell.
Browse around for a while and read please!
Oh whatever……….I've had enough of shameless people being openly stupid. At least for one day.

I'm off to bed.
Naked Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #547
crucifix

I just had that weird time of year with my pay check where twice a year I get an extra one. I am about to go get my siouxsie sioux tattoo, finally
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #548
Ophelia's Snorkel

Mr S. and I have decided to give each other tattoos for Valentine's Day. Well, technically, to have a professional give us tattoos. Ah, romance.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #549
vindicatedxjin

Yah I'm planning on getting another one. Either on my wrist or the crease of my inner elbow right under my last tattoo.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #550
Malice In Wonderland

I stretched my nose from 3.2 to it's current 6mm with tape.
Worked fucking brilliantly.
You should be able to use organics as long as you rotate regularly, but yeah, I wouldn't recommend using them on fresh stretches.
However after stretching they're by far the best thing to have in for your piercings.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote