Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
confshash

Introduction + general questions

Hi.

I'm 18, and I've been struggling with these aching thoughts for a very long time now (since around I was 15). I'm extremely secretive and personal in real-life, so I've never had the courage to express these opinions and thoughts with anyone, nor have I ever met someone that I believed was like me and was experience similar things to what I was feeling in real life, and so I thought an anonymous forum would be ideal. I'd like to share with you some thoughts I've been having about social groups - what I've observed in my short years on this earth. Two main subjects I'd like to discuss - darkness and intelligence.

Firstly, I've found myself drawn to "darkness" from a young age. No, this does not mean I'm into necromancy, and theistic satanism (not judging those who are into that) - but rather, I've been drawn to dark, and twisted images and music. I enjoy dark movies, with a twisted and unusual sense of humor and drama. And I enjoy darker music, such as symphonic/gothic/death metal, and dark and powerful classical music (I also listen to progressive metal/rock which isn't dark at all, but only because it's musically genius ). My question is why? Does someone have a theory as to why we were born this way - why am I drawn to this, what does it mean? I'm not expecting an obsolete answer as I realize that one does not exist, but any ideas, or a sense of direction of thinking would be of immense value and help. I'd like to note that I have no childhood traumas as far as I'm aware. In my opinion, many would think that that's our common factor - the fact that we were somehow twisted as children - beaten or whatever, but I believe that that's bullshit. I was raised by a loving and intelligent family, and I even consider myself to be compassionate and peaceful - but my attraction to darkness remains.

Second thing I've been wondering is whether there exists a relationship between intelligence and the former subject I mentioned. I've found that the amount of people that listen to metal, as opposed to those who listen to hip-hop, are more intelligent in school and in general, in a staggering and shocking manner. Although, no link has been found to musical preference and intelligence - I've observed one does exist, but I don't want to focus on music, nor medial preferences. I'm talking about the general behavior of the "different" - these people tend to be more self-centered, shy, and also brainier. Many would argue against me, but this is simply an observation I've found to be undoubtedly true over my high school years. When trying to understand this phenomenon, I've composed a theory that has sufficed me until now (not suggesting I've had reason to doubt it as of lately). Intelligent people - those with mental aptitude and those who are capable of looking at the bigger picture - looking down on simple day-to-day actions and over-analyze them (or more correctly, over-analyze them according to the average human) and draw conclusions from them about life and such. These intelligence people do not conform to their parent's ways of life simply because they were born into it - they question everything. They question the reason for society's habits - why must I go to church every Sunday? Why should I give into peer pressure - will popularity and fake relationships really bring me happiness? Etc. Are these types of people connected with the former I described - is there a reason that most of the private, secretive type that are considered different and outcasts - are almost always the smartest of the bunch? My theory is relevant to my understand of the world only, and may not apply to all of those who are like me, but it may. I look at the world, and I feel saddened. I see a sea of fake people living fake, pitiful, shallow lives; smiling at each other politely simply because it's socially acceptable. Their relationships (friendships, marriages, etc.) are based on lies and shallowness. The mass herds of stupidity and shallowness live their lives in fake content, but I cannot understand how they manage to do this. I really, really don't understand how they live this way - how they don't feel dead inside. I would be completely empty if I were to live that way, I cannot begin to image what is going on in their mindless brains. Is my sadness caused by my sense of "elevation"? I cannot help but be saddened when I see the world in its current state of stupidity.

I apologize if any grammatical / spelling errors were made, English isn't my first language. I would appreciate any thoughts on any matter I've raised - I'm aware I've raised a lot of extremely controversial and debatable subjects, and even only if a few will be discussed, it will please me.

Thanks in advance for any constructive comments and ideas, I'd really like to know other people's opinions on these matters which I've been struggling with for quite some time now. I'd hate to have these questions answered for the rest of my life.
confshash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
Alan

It's a phase.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
honeythorn

You've made the classic mistake of assuming there must be a reason. There isn't one. It's just who you are, enjoy it.

Also quite a few hip hop/rap ect artists and fans are extremely intelligent indeed. There is often far more substance to the lyrics than you think. You need to look past the Bitches N' Ho's style of the more popular mass marketed groups, and artists ( and even those often have a good deal of valid meaning in their work )
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by confshash View Post
I've found that the amount of people that listen to metal, as opposed to those who listen to hip-hop, are more intelligent in school and in general, in a staggering and shocking manner.
Fuck you, I can sympathise with the inevitable phase where dumbass teenagers think that liking Rachmaninoff and Tim Burton makes them intelligent and mysterious but if you imply that anyone who doesn't have your elitist, middle-class view of hip hop is inherently less intelligent than your socially retarded, white, Dream Theater-listening friends then you're just a dick. Several people on this forum have the ability to mindfuck your brain to jelly, and they all listen to hip hop.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Timeless Rebellion

Woah. You managed to wake the wrath of JCC.
Well done.
Forget me not, and keep my memory.
Timeless Rebellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
JCC

Sorry, but it had to be done. You can cuss me out, drag me through the dirt and call my mother a whore but I will not stand idly by and watch some mook criticise my hip hop.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Timeless Rebellion

Oh, but I agree with you fully JCC.
A few of my very good friends are true hip hop fans with the clothes, the swag and the talk. Some of the time
And they are incredibly intelligent and very nice folk.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
Ben Lahnger

Vapid and ignorable noob is vapid and ignorable.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
Timeless Rebellion

Angry teen is angry.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
Murder.Of.Crows

Woah, JCC angry? I think I like it.

I think you'll find stupid people following every genre. I've even met some extremely stupid people that prefer classical. However, I have yet to meet, personally, an intelligent juggalo.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:30 AM   #11
Timeless Rebellion

Note: When I said angry teen, I was refering to the OP, not JCC.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #12
Murder.Of.Crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Rebellion View Post
Note: When I said angry teen, I was refering to the OP, not JCC.
Noted and understood, I was actually referring to the angry JCC.

Quote:
Fuck you, I can sympathise with the inevitable phase where dumbass teenagers think that liking Rachmaninoff and Tim Burton makes them intelligent and mysterious but if you imply that anyone who doesn't have your elitist, middle-class view of hip hop is inherently less intelligent than your socially retarded, white, Dream Theater-listening friends then you're just a dick. Several people on this forum have the ability to mindfuck your brain to jelly, and they all listen to hip hop.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #13
Sinjob

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SHlQorqqR8...lack-metal.jpg
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:52 AM   #14
Sinjob

Quote:
These intelligence people do not conform to their parent's ways of life simply because they were born into it - they question everything. They question the reason for society's habits - why must I go to church every Sunday? Why should I give into peer pressure - will popularity and fake relationships really bring me happiness? Etc. Are these types of people connected with the former I described
Yeah nothing says profound more than something like this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SHlQorqqR8...lack-metal.jpg

You're so right, Shashman. Those goddamned peeps and their hiphop! SUCH IDIOTS. They're almost as bad as the kind of people who blabble and bitch about one overkilled, broad subject in a gloomy Tony Robbins-like fashion and then somehow relate that to their inner pain.

Really grinds my gears.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #15
CptSternn

There is a direct correlation between lifestyle and music.

Hip-hop is usually associated with the 'gangsta' lifestyle and those who imitate their favorite artists do end up looking like eejits.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #16
Grausamkeit

As much as I love Type O Negative and Danzig, I could never jive with their belief that rap/hip-hop is all "bad poetry set to music". Just because a few mainstream assholes sing about "bitches & hoes" doesn't mean there aren't people out there rapping about relevant political and social issues. There was a pretty good song by a rapper called A-1 that sampled Cough/Cool. Damn good song, I guess Glenn decided to be a cunt and complained enough to get them to take the original off of youtube.

It's too bad that people can't look beyond their own bias to see the messages in some songs. Anyone else remember when this song came out? I grew up listening to that kind of rap/hip-hop. Yeah, there's the occasional 'shake your rump' song, but it doesn't negate the messages of the other songs.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #17
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn View Post
There is a direct correlation between lifestyle and music.

Hip-hop is usually associated with the 'gangsta' lifestyle and those who imitate their favorite artists do end up looking like eejits.
If that's true then I guess it's a justified stereotype that people who listen to black metal are devil-worshiping church burners who are prone to eat their friend's brains. Since a few of them did that once...

Amirite?

Old 06-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #18
Ben Lahnger

Since the OP hasn't responded once to any of the posts here, even though those posts have ranged from friendly advice to critical to confrontational, can we sometime soon decide ignorable noob is ignorable?

After all, it did say:

Quote:
I'd hate to have these questions answered for the rest of my life.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 06-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #19
Timeless Rebellion

I think it may be a troll.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #20
Ben Lahnger

Ya think? ...

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #21
Murder.Of.Crows

I didn't think trolls made wall of texts.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #22
Grausamkeit

Me either. It takes time to type that kind of shit out.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #23
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
If that's true then I guess it's a justified stereotype that people who listen to black metal are devil-worshiping church burners who are prone to eat their friend's brains. Since a few of them did that once...

Amirite?

I lived in Richmond, Virginia for years. I owned a nightclub and booked shows/DJ'd at others. I did gothic/industrial at clubs that supported that scene.

I in all my years there, we never had a shooting or gang warfare break out on any night, ever.

To this day the hip hop clubs in Richmond are plagued by almost weekly gun violence, so much the police had to institute almost martial law last summer and put police in armored vehicles on every corner due to the massive amount of violence happening at the hip hop clubs.

To say there is no direct correlation between the music and the violence is just silly.

http://www.google.com/search?q=richm...m+gun+violence

It's like the whole geometric rectangle and square theorem. A square is always a rectangle, but a rectangle is not always a square.

I'm not saying all persons who like hip-hop are violent gang bangers, but I can say all violent gang bangers like hip-hop.

When you put them all in a small area and start playing music that glorifies senseless violence, crime, murder, and the objectification of women - add in alcohol and sprinkle with a nice helping of machismo and you are looking at a powder keg that is destined to go off shortly.

Does anyone remember the movies Belly or New Jack City? There was also that one with Fifty Cent. All of those movies were pulled from cinemas across America due to people getting shot in the cinema.

There has never been any other time in American history when any movies caused people to shoot each other in the cinema. Just ones that centre around hip-hop/gangsta subject material.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #24
Still Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
^ This. ever so much.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #25
Sinjob

Sternn, you are not in any place to try and pigeonhole what hip-hop is and associated with. Yeah sure, it came from the streets, but it's become so much more and open to so many different things.

No different from any other music genre. Why the fuck do people always AUTOMATICALLY place music and fashion in the same place? Plenty of people in hip hop don't dress like a fucking gangbanger.