Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
Mr.Doobie

You know who doesn't get enough attention in video games?

Straight white men.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...x/6661775&lf=8

Someone linked me this on another forum and it's basically this guy bitching and moaning about how Dragon Age 2 doesn't cater enough to the needs of the straight white man. And by straight white man, he means only himself. Because he is the representative of every straight white man in the gaming world... (disclaimer: I haven't played Dragon Age 2 and I know nothing of critical reviews)

Quote:
To summarize, in the case of Dragon Age 2, BioWare neglected their main demographic: The Straight Male Gamer.
Oh boy. Great. He gets right to the bigoted asshattery. That means I won't have to wade through paragraphs of introduction to get to the good stuff...

Quote:
I don't think many would argue with the fact that the overwhelming majority of RPG gamers are indeed straight and male. Sure, there are a substantial amount of women who play video games, but they're usually gamers who play games like The Sims, rather than games like Dragon Age. That's not to say there isn't a significant number of women who play Dragon Age and that BioWare should forego the option of playing as a women altogether, but there should have been much more focus in on making sure us male gamers were happy.
Yeah women, go play your girly Sims. Dragon Age is a man's game!

And as such it should cater only to the needs and wants of men. Because not enough fantasy RPG's do that.

Quote:
Its ridiculous that I even have to use a term like Straight Male Gamer, when in the past I would only have to say fans
Than they let all these fags, ******s, and women into my vidya games! GODDAMN YOU AFFIRMATIVE ACTION!

Quote:
In every previous BioWare game, I always felt that almost every companion in the game was designed for the male gamer in mind. Every female love interest was always written as a male friend type support character.
In other words, they were a big-titted, white, blonde, passive girl making him a goddamn sammich.

BAREFOOT! PREGNANT!
Quote:
In Dragon Age 2, I felt like most of the companions were designed to appeal to other groups foremost, Anders and Fenris for gays and Aveline for women given the lack of strong women in games, and that for the straight male gamer, a secondary concern.
HOW DARE THEY? ADMITTING GAY PEOPLE AND STRONG WOMEN EXIST? IN MY VIDYA GAMES! YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR BIOWARE! YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR!

Quote:
It makes things very awkward when your male companions keep making passes at you.
ewwwwwww icky yucky gay people icky yucky they gots cooties....

Quote:
The fact that a "No Homosexuality" option, which could have been easily implemented, is omitted just proves my point.
There isn't a "No Homosexuality" option in real life...

Quote:
I know there are some straight male gamers out there who did not mind it at and I respect that.
But this game shouldn't be catering to you! It should be catering to ME! The only straight white male the game makers should care about!

I mean, I respect you if you're okay with the faggots and stuff, but you're probably secretly a ****** yourself. Stay away from my son.
Quote:
When I say BioWare neglected The Straight Male Gamer, I don't mean that they ignored male gamers. The romance options, Isabella and Merrill, were clearly designed for the straight male gamers in mind. Unfortunately, those choices are what one would call "exotic" choices.
I did research. Merrill is another race, and Isabella is black. Thus, his problem is he DOESN'T WANT HIS CHARACTER TO MARRY AN ICKY NEGRO! EWWWWWW! I NEED MY BIG-TITTED, PASSIVE, WHITE HEAL BOT!

Quote:
it seems like they weren't even going for an option most males will like.
Because most males don't like black people.
Mr.Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Murder.Of.Crows

I like how David Gaider came in and saved the day.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Solumina

Somebody didn't get hugged enough growing up.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
Despanan

I saw this linked on Penny-arcade. All I can say is Don't piss off a writer on the internet. We're like the closest thing sorcerers all up in here.

Also: Why the hell are people bitching about getting rivalry points for turning Anders down? that makes sense. I get pissed when people reject me, why shouldn't Anders?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
Saya

Yeah, David Gaider is awesome.

Quote:
I did research. Merrill is another race, and Isabella is black. Thus, his problem is he DOESN'T WANT HIS CHARACTER TO MARRY AN ICKY NEGRO! EWWWWWW! I NEED MY BIG-TITTED, PASSIVE, WHITE HEAL BOT!
Isabela is more like she was dipped in tea since we last saw her in the original Dragon Age. Funny story that. In promos and her wallpaper she's snow white:

http://www.games-wallpapers.in/wallp...-1600x1200.jpg

So not even "exotic" whatever that is in a FRICKEN FANTASY GAME. Oh! Her jewelry! Not typical white woman jewelry. Too ethnic! Take her back!

Its funny when people belly ache that they like their privilege and they don't want that unfair privilege taken away.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Murder.Of.Crows

The particular reason I want this game so much is because of the diversity of choice. Not that I would take the path of a homosexual in the game, I still like the idea that it is a choice to me. More games need to move this way. Hopefully the new Fallout will have some relationship quests too.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:19 AM   #7
Annihilation

Man who gives a shit? Play the game. Stupid people these days...
Annihilation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
Ben Lahnger

Before the internet this idiot would have been muttering to himself and his friends, maybe distributing a few leaflets or standing on a street corner somewhere yelling his fool head off, but no self-respecting newspaper or magazine would have reprinted his bitching and we'd have never heard of him. Now he gets 15 minutes plus that he doesn't deserve. I'm ignoring his doofus ass and moving on.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
Murder.Of.Crows

That is the magics of the internet. But, you are right.