Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

View Poll Results: Is getting a band tattoo a shitty idea?
Yes 10 33.33%
No 8 26.67%
Depends (post!) 12 40.00%
Against tattoos in general 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
Green.Lady

Bad Idea?

A band tattoo. Is it ever a decent idea? I've heard a few "ohmygodthat'ssostupidyouwon'tliketheminayear" s and a few positive comments, but I've been wonderin' what the gnetters think of the concept.
Deliver me a paper
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:14 AM   #2
Nevan

As with any tattoo - depends on how it's done I suppose. I personally wouldn't, because I'd feel like a walking commercial for some band - (unless it's my own band - then yeah) - and probably not the band's name either, but rather a type of emblem or symbol used by them.

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Nevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:12 AM   #3
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevan
I'd feel like a walking commercial for some band
Exactly. A tattoo, like any other accessory and cloth rag, should express something. It would be very sad that the most you can express is your liking of some band - unless it was someone like Rage Against the Machine or the Dead Kennedys.
But hell, it's not as bad as the stupid idea of having a barcode tattoo. It's nowhere near cool, people! It's uncreative at best, and everything that's wrong with this society at worst.

EDIT: I voted no but because I wanted to say "No, don't get one." Ignore one No and take is as Yes.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:27 AM   #4
dark_dragon_of_ice

Mm I was thinking of getting a xenomorph one...not one of an actual full xenomorph but something like a symbol or part of their muscle/ arm detail on my arm or something
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:29 AM   #5
Post Modern Girl

I voted no for the simple reason that right now you are young and (presumably) beautiful and a tattoo is a brilliant idea yada yada yada until you are 65 and your granchildren ask "who the fuck are these people you have tattooed across your tits?!"
Also, what if said band do something totally against your moral fibre and start playing 1960's disco music? Then it isn't so attractive.
Maybe go for a more personal design, one that won't piss you off later.
Post Modern Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:36 AM   #6
Godslayer Jillian

You made the same mistake I did.
The No is for people that consent to the idea.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:52 AM   #7
Post Modern Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
You made the same mistake I did.
The No is for people that consent to the idea.
Ahhh I see now! Well then i change my answer to Yes and I believe that the poll should be changed so that it is not so misleading
Old 01-08-2008, 05:42 AM   #8
Chazz

by all means get one, but get one of a band you will love forever, dont get the name though get a symbol or character or something.
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #9
IsolatedReptile

Someone once told me (may have even been Ophelia) that you shouldn't get one, but if you do, you should have been listening to them for four or five years. This was my train of thought as well, and I ended up not getting one and I'm glad I didn't.

Now, lyrics on the other hand make sense, as long as they're lyrics you think you'll cherish for years to come.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:53 AM   #10
Underwater Ophelia

I said not to get one, I don't think I ever mentioned four or five years.

I'd say it's probably a bad idea. I can't really say why, but it doesn't sit right with me.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:31 AM   #11
MariusCesar

If you plan on getting a band tattoo. Get one that has earn the ranks of legendary. Like The Cure, Jimi Hendrix, or Bauhaus. Don't get any tatts that are part of a fade. Such bands like Limp Bizkit or... My Chemical Romance... shudders*

Marius
MariusCesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:37 AM   #12
Noumi

A.F.I : Terrible idea

Theatre des Vampires: Brilliant
Noumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #13
TopHaggardDoll

My Dad had "The Damned" tattooed on him when he was 16, he's 45 and still loves the tattoo and still loves the band.

Maybe he's just lucky.

It's the same as getting any tattoo, it can go two ways.

About the old age thing though, I'd regret not doing what I wanted whilst I was still young and could go and do all these things....rather than not have done anything I wanted and held back just because of thinking about when i'm 60.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #14
Johnny Gnar Gnar

I was not smart enough to vote right. take away a no, put up a yes. All I can say is the Godsmack sun. Think of how many people got that in the 90's, and how many have had them covered up. In case you don't know, there were alot. If you are getting a tattoo, think of something original. I have....*quick count* eight, and all of them are either original designs, or something very very dear to me, i.e. religious symbols. That is just my $0.02. Do whatever you like.
Johnny Gnar Gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #15
Breathless Horror

I'd say not to get one, as tattoos (as others have said) should express something. And as awesome as any band may be, your tastes can always change, and then you're stuck with a tat of a band you don't like.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #16
honeythorn

Well, I'm probably the odd one out here because I have 2 AFI tattoos both from STS ( yeah so shoot me, it's my skin ) . One is a winged beetle in a circle , which was my favourite of the series of emblems and one of the least used, unlike the falling leaf or stylised wing which everyone seems to have.

The other is lyrics " Darkness is a mystery of curves and lines " from my favourite song ( the spoken word http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CXu7G7K8PpU ) . I find that line beautiful, it strikes a chord with me and has done ever since I heard it. I love it enough to have it on my skin, and has recieved many comments and questions as to it's meaning ( which can be whatever you want it to be ).

Neither of them would be recognised as a band tattoo except by someone who has seen the album artwork ( which, regardless of the band it is for , is excellent IMO) and has heard that particular song, which is one of 2 hidden tracks on that album.

So neither tattoos are immediately recognisable and both mean a lot to me. I would NEVER have a band name tattooed upon myself, or any name at all for that matter.

If you are going to get something, at least get something that is likely to still mean something or provoke thought when you are an old age pensioner.

What band were you considering? What artwork do they have? Think about the lyrics. Will they still be as meaningful or interesting to you and others when you are old?

This is what you have to ask yourself.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #17
Signe

Personally I think it is kind of creepy to tattoo a band on you. I am not so very fond of tattoos in general, though, I prefer piercings.
Signe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #18
IsolatedReptile

I once saw a picture of a tattoo someone had gotten. It was Trent Reznor's face. Let me tell you something. No matter how much you love a person, unless it's your child, that is ridiculous.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #19
Green.Lady

Lots of "bad ideas" - hmm.

To clarify, I wouldn't tattoo "THE SISTERS OF MERCY" across myself, I was thinking more along the lines of a wordless logo/logo with a lyric.
Deliver me a paper
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:56 PM   #20
raggedyanne

If it's done tastefully, like a rendition of the band's symbol, it can be nice. But I think having the name of a band permanently inked into your skin is not the smartest choice you could make.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #21
Johnny Gnar Gnar

I also have lyrics from a song tattooed down my arm. But, the song has been a memorial for all the friends I have lost to various causes, mostly in the outdoors. So it is something that even when the song gets old, it still won't be old for me. It will always mean something, and that seems to be justification for me.
Johnny Gnar Gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #22
Hopeless_Joe

i say it depends. i have a couple friends, different states apart & they've never met, who have the same screeching weasel tattoo on the same spot of their arms. both pieces are good and all...and i love the weasels, but i don't think i'd get them inked on me.

however...

i have a design that a friend & i have been refining over the years, and it's kind of an homage to a few favorite bands, with added symbolism that personalizes it all.

it's essentially an old school looking whiskey bottle embossed with a couple things. old no. 27 (a reference to screeching weasel actually, they had 27 songs on their first album), and 100 proof (an 88 fingers louie song). now, the way it's done, it looks appropriate for a whiskey bottle, but to me, it's a reminder of old times, old friends since lost, etc. etc.
Hopeless_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:11 AM   #23
ugh...

Personally, I have an undying affection for Voltaire and Depeche Mode (I know they're not goth, I know). However, love not being labled more. I see putting a band on your skin as a permanent lable.
On the other hand, I am thinking of getting "Goth" tatooed on me somewhere. Music tastes and bands, no matter how classic, can change so I wouldn't put them down permanently on my skin.
ugh... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:16 AM   #24
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsolatedReptile
I once saw a picture of a tattoo someone had gotten. It was Trent Reznor's face. Let me tell you something. No matter how much you love a person, unless it's your child, that is ridiculous.
I have Hannibal Lector's/Anthony Hopkin's face from the front cover of Hannibal tattooed on me...LOL! It's amazing.
I love those films/books....too good.

It's not ridiculous, alot of people have famous people tattooed on them, if you respect that person's work or appreciate a character that much, I don't see a problem.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #25
Post Modern Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHaggardDoll

It's not ridiculous, alot of people have famous people tattooed on them, if you respect that person's work or appreciate a character that much, I don't see a problem.
If you were famous and seen someone who you had never meet that had a tattoo of your face on their arm, would you not be a little freaked out?