Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:42 PM   #26
Saddiction

Anguelon, thank you for the compliments. You don't sound like a moron at all.

Depending on the set of falls, it can measure from moderately easy to out right time consuming.

The plastic hair/aviator cap took about 9 hours to construct. Dreadfalls can take even longer depending on how many dreads you make. Cyberlox, however, can take little time, as long as you are confident on how you're mounting them (since the tubular crin can become quite costly).

I was just looking at your photos, and you have gorgeous hair!! You don't have to dye it to achieve the look I have. You would be the perfect candidate for falls.

Falls are basically materials (hair, crin, plastic, etc) that are mounted on lace or elastic. You tie your hair into a bun or buns and tie the falls around them. Then use one of those really wide elasticy headband thingies to cover your natural hair. You can also leave a little bit of hair showing as your fringe, or use a fake fringe all together (which is what I do).

In this photo you can see what I'm talking about in regards to the fringe and elastic headband thingy:
http://a802.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...e9b4d64b21.jpg

That set was made from synthetic dreads, foam, and tubular crin. It didn't take too long to construct, since I 'borrowed' the dreads from another set of falls that I made. (this set could use more volume, in my opinion).

Anyways, this is really long and drawn out. For more tips on stuff like this, check out this message board:
http://www.extra-muffins.com/hair/in...be52a2694e92d6

Hope that was of some help
Old 08-23-2007, 03:46 PM   #27
Anguelon

Thanks, what a relief that I don't have to put so much strain on my hair. But, how did you construct the aviator cap? I live in lebanon so it's not common to find such items. I'm very handy. So what did you use? Thank you.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:49 PM   #28
DarkGentleman

::: on knees bowing to Saddiction:::: Hail Saddiction, Queen of Cyber-hair, she has saved us all!!!

ok, I'll bugger off and back to work on mine now.
DarkGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:54 PM   #29
Saddiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguelon
Thanks, what a relief that I don't have to put so much strain on my hair. But, how did you construct the aviator cap? I live in lebanon so it's not common to find such items. I'm very handy. So what did you use? Thank you.
I used a bunch of different things such as air tubing, wire protector, vinyl strips, foam, etc. My best friend in the whole ordeal was my glue gun. I glued everything on to mount it. As to where one would go about finding these things in Lebanon... well, I have no idea

Try an auto parts place for the wire protector and air tubing, and a craft store for the foam and glue gun. The cap you could try finding at a costume shop, or something of the like.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:54 PM   #30
Saddiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGentleman
::: on knees bowing to Saddiction:::: Hail Saddiction, Queen of Cyber-hair, she has saved us all!!!

ok, I'll bugger off and back to work on mine now.
Thanks Dark, but I wouldn't go as far as calling me 'Queen of Cyber-hair'.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #31
DarkGentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddiction
My best friend in the whole ordeal was my glue gun. I glued everything on to mount it.
Well, I'll be dammed, a glue gun? I kinda wondered how you had those to stay on. hmmmm, I'll just stick with the rivets since I got 2 rows on already and 4 more to go. They actually hold fairly well.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:03 PM   #32
Anguelon

Thanks Saddiction, I think I have an idea of what to do. I worked as a car mechanic couple of years ago. So, I'll try acheiving a knock-off and I'll picture myself and show it to you. And, yes, you are the Queen of Cyberlox. Girl, I love you. You have changed my life...seriously.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:04 PM   #33
Saddiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGentleman
Well, I'll be dammed, a glue gun? I kinda wondered how you had those to stay on. hmmmm, I'll just stick with the rivets since I got 2 rows on already and 4 more to go. They actually hold fairly well.
Yep, I use a glue gun in conjunction with something else. What is that something else? It's a secret. Kind of like the secret to a Flaming Moe. Something very unsuspecting. I'll leave it at that
Old 08-23-2007, 04:20 PM   #34
KontanKarite

I like Arachnonaught's designs. Actually, that's not the correct way to spell his name, but his shit is off the CHAIN! He and Saddiction is what inspired me to make my weft on cyber falls.

I'm still thinking on doing a gold and black falls variant. I have gold eyeshadow and such. I just need to find a beige dress shirt for what I'm going to try to do. I love being all steam, but I still love black. So I'm more black and gold instead of gold and beige sepia color schemes.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:07 PM   #35
Saphyra Runa

Kontan who said you have to be all boring beige and sepia? First off the Victorian era was hardly all beige and sepia. Aniline dyes were becoming more used. We just think various shades of browns because things have faded over time. Anachronaut's most well known picture has him in black. Correct me if I am wrong Saddiction but your guy wears a bit of black also doesn't he?

I would love to try my hand at some falls, but I think I need hands on personal training. I read the instructions on various sites and I just want to self destruct. I am probably blowing it all out of proportion and it's easier than I think.

Pardon the unfinishedness of it all
Saphyra Runa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:02 AM   #36
Saddiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphyra Runa
Correct me if I am wrong Saddiction but your guy wears a bit of black also doesn't he?
His day to day wardrobe consists of black button up shirts and black pants. He may on occasion mix it up a bit by throwing in a bit of colour.

When he want's to go all steampunk-like, he wears a white button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up, a black vest accented by the chain from his pocket watch, tartan tie, black pants, and a pair of goggles around his neck to accent his outfit.

It's nothing too elaborate, but definately achieves the look he's going for.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #37
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphyra Runa
Kontan who said you have to be all boring beige and sepia? First off the Victorian era was hardly all beige and sepia. Aniline dyes were becoming more used. We just think various shades of browns because things have faded over time. Anachronaut's most well known picture has him in black. Correct me if I am wrong Saddiction but your guy wears a bit of black also doesn't he?

I would love to try my hand at some falls, but I think I need hands on personal training. I read the instructions on various sites and I just want to self destruct. I am probably blowing it all out of proportion and it's easier than I think.

HA! Nah, I just like to be kinda authentic. NORMALLY, when I go steampunk, I wear a black brocade vest, blood red dress shirt with the sleeves extending past my hands, some black slacks, and my tall ass boots. Then I get my hair all Robert Smith messy and wear my black steam goggles.

Anachronaut's a genius with hairfalls. But really, they're not that hard to make to be honest. It just takes time and effort.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:42 PM   #38
DarkGentleman

Well today I found something interesting, as I went through some of my fabric storage from last year and I came across some GREY FOAM SHEETS!

As I recall, was it you Kontan that was looking for some? These are perhaps the same grey foam sheets you required for your cyber-falls....I hope.
They are about 12x9 sheets, a little smaller than the typical sheets found in most stores.
Funny part is, I can't remember where I bought this stuff, oh well, but if you are interested in them Kontan, I would be happy to send them to you.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #39
Saddiction

Jut tried out the steamer I bought a few weeks ago. It does a FANTASTIC job of sealing dreads. The hair seals tight and smooth. I still wish there was a better way to seal the ends.

Has anyone ever encountered issues with sealing the ends? If so, what was your remedy? I currently use a straight iron. I'm thinking about picking up some hair glue for the ends alone.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:21 AM   #40
badteccy

I made a pretty sweet pair of yarn falls once, but I don't wear that shit anymore. Good job though, OP.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #41
Heatherzilla

I think I might have a go at making a dread wig. I wonder if my art teacher will let me get away with doing it in class.
Heatherzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:57 PM   #42
thedoll

I love my yarn falls... ignore the stupid faces i make in pictures... http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...is/Photo24.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...is/Photo19.jpg

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:17 PM   #43
DarkGentleman

You look so adorable! Is that the only set of falls you have?
Old 09-13-2007, 01:18 AM   #44
thedoll

i have another but its just one in black and purple. i want to make cyber falls but i dress more ****** than cyber so i dont think it owuld work together. wow bad typing... lo siento.

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:22 PM   #45
kimaru

I've been trying to do something cool to my hair...I managed a decent looking mohawk thing but It didn't suit me...I even covered my whole head in liberty spike things, but I looked like....I don't know what excatly I looked like but it wasn't good.....anyways how do you make hair faller whatevers?
kimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:57 PM   #46
KontanKarite

The bare bones of it is that you attatch something such as yarn or faux hair along an elastic band, put your hair up in a bun and put the elastic band with the yarn or faux hair around the bun.

Old 09-14-2007, 03:03 PM   #47
kimaru

...Oh thats all! I thought I'd have to weave them or tie them on on something...thanks!

...I really wish I had my moms digital camera to take a picture of my with the mohawk and liberty spikes...it looked so funny
kimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:33 PM   #48
dark_dragon_of_ice

Wow!! I wish I could make cyber dreads!!
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:06 PM   #49
Saddiction

You don't have to use elastic to mount falls. It's all a matter of preference.

Also, you can braid them in individually, if you feel desired to do so (depending on the materials of course).
Old 09-15-2007, 12:24 AM   #50
dark_dragon_of_ice

So where did you get the materials for the tubbing dreads and what is the procedures of putting all the tubes in your hair 0_0
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote