Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
isobel black

Dollhouse

I suspect there are some Joss Whedon fans lurking around here. Has anyone caught his new show Dollhouse yet?

I must say I'm ambiguous about it after catching the first two episodes. I like it, but I'm not convinced of its greatness. This could happen over time, it took me a while to get into Firefly too, but somehow I don't expect I'll come to like this show as much as Buffy and Firefly.

I like the parts having to do with the Dollhouse itself and the background story, although I can't really put my finger on it they just seem way better written and more entertaining than the 'job of the week' parts, which I'm affraid will never surpass generic action show standards. And it bothered me that the 'Dolls' revert to a state of severe retardation when their imprinted personalities are wiped.

I also feel Eliza Dushku is just not that great of an actress. Her acting didn't bother me yet, but I'm affraid it may become a problem as the show progresses.

Lastly, and I think this is the main thing that'll cause me to like Dollhouse less than Whedon's previous shows, I missed humour.

What are your thoughts?
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
Albert Mond

I just saw a Hulu ad about this show and didn't know whether or not it was real. Guess this answers my question.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
chelseagirl

I was a HUGE Buffy and Firefly fan. I've watched the first two Dollhouse episodes, and I'm just not getting into it at all. I'm going to give it one more try before I give up. I thought it would be much better.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
isobel black

I caught the third episode yesterday and it didn't do much for me either. I still like it enough to keep watching I suppose, but I'm pretty sure this is never going to get as good as Buffy or Firefly.
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
JCC

It's been distinctly mediocre thus far.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
Godslayer Jillian

It needs more dragons.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
Aerynna

Liked Dollhouse. But it's nothing like Buffy or Firefly. Totally different concept and a departure from Whedon's usual style. I do like that subplot about "Alpha" being on a rampage and using Echo as a "pawn" in some kind of game.
Aerynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:12 AM   #8
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I'm a big firefly fan, though I'm only a fan of certain buffy episodes, those episodes consisting mostly of the ones with Drusilla in them. She has such a delightful personality.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #9
BaronBarker

I'm a huge Whedon nerd myself I've loved all the shows he's created on the comic series he has written in the past, I'm enjoying dollhouse myself it started off kin of slow but its getting really good next weeks episode looks awesome
BaronBarker is offline   Reply With Quote