Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
Høst

Goths and God

What do we think about christian goths? Is it possible to be into both "the light" and the dark?
Høst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
ape descendant

Christianity's central figure is a zombie Jew, if that's not goth, I don't know what is.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
honeythorn

Goth and religion ( or lack of ) have absolutely nothing to do with eachother.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
KissMeDeadly

Well, to put it simply, they are heathens.

Let me explain.

As Goths, we believe in the One True God The Cure, and his only begotten son Bob Smith, who, in his great misery and mercifulness, did consume 1 and 5000 Holy Twinkies, to be born and resurrected again as Fat Bob Smith.

Tell me, son, have you accepted Fat Bob Smith as your lord and personal savior?
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
Christianity's central figure is a zombie Jew, if that's not goth, I don't know what is.
Bwuhahaha! THIS! Oh, soooo this!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
ape descendant

....sure...

Be Kind
Old 02-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
Murder.Of.Crows

I used to love it here, wake up every morning and see what everyone was up too. Now i come here to lose brain cells as i beat my head against the desk, due to threads like this.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
HAHAHA!
10 chars

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
ape descendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcud View Post
Does that mean that goths run the media?

...please... give up.

Be Kind
Old 02-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #10
$haDe

This pic have nothing to do with the topic one way or another, but I feel like trolling so whatever ..
Old 02-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #11
Corpsey

Most Gnet members need to visit the doctor.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:18 AM   #12
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Høst View Post
What do we think about christian goths? Is it possible to be into both "the light" and the dark?
Personally I think they're alright, but then again I am a Catholic goth so I am admittedly a bit biased. It's not like I go around Gnet saying "CONVERT OR DIE!", or walk around in red robes and a big red hat ordering people to "confess!".

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:28 AM   #13
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
Personally I think they're alright, but then again I am a Catholic goth so I am admittedly a bit biased. It's not like I go around Gnet saying "CONVERT OR DIE!", or walk around in red robes and a big red hat ordering people to "confess!".
of course you don't. It would be too predictable.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #14
ape descendant

...touche...

Be Kind
Old 02-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #15
KissMeDeadly

Really? Nobody even made fun of my brilliantly witty post?

I'd like to speak with management about this.

Also I'd like that rimjob now.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #16
JJ_Spade

I'm A Christian Goth...It Is Possible To Be Of Light And Of Darkness, We Are All Human And To Have One Without The Other Would Mean We Are Not Human. No Matter What Belief We Have, There Is A Light Side To Everyone As There Is A Dark Side.
JJ_Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:33 AM   #17
Murder.Of.Crows

And what gives you the insinuation that Christianity is "the light side"? That aside you remind me of catch, being that, you are completely incoherent. Seriously what the hell are you talking about?
Old 02-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #18
theact

I think that is why our gracious host used apostrophes around 'the light'. Christianity is commonly placed in the position of being the religion of light (god) vs the darkness (the Devil.)
And the apostrophes indicate his skepticism.
Personally though I think you are correct, Christianity shouldn't be used as the 'light' to contrast Gothic cultures 'dark'. Neither have a history of being either. With Gothic culture being far closer to neutral good that Christianity has been.
Im not a Christian, But I can see how you could probably combine both, neither is mutually exclusive. Goths seem to delve into many religions and (I guess you could call them) mystical beliefs.
However I could also see Christian goths having to be very adapt at defending their religion. Do any of the afore posted Christian goths find this to be a problem?
theact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #19
JJ_Spade

I find none of it to be a problem I know what I am and I know Im not perfect at all lol. But there is an interesting fact that Christianity and goth actually do come together in at least some way even if I wasnt a Christian goth I would notice is how gothic churches were built in said times and places.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #20
$haDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Spade View Post
I find none of it to be a problem I know what I am and I know Im not perfect at all lol. But there is an interesting fact that Christianity and goth actually do come together in at least some way even if I wasnt a Christian goth I would notice is how gothic churches were built in said times and places.
There's so much 'goth' now I can barely recogize the relativity and the origin.

....and no, Christianity is a religion. Goths, in this case, would be a culture existed somewhere close to the Saxons.

I'm too lazy to google and all, correct the fact all you want.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #21
JJ_Spade

NOTE: I "JJ SPADE" DIDNT TYPE THIS, I JUST COPIED AND PASTED SO IF THIS OFFENDS ANYONE IM SORRY BUT TAKE IT UP WITH THE PERSON WHO DID.

A Christian Goth Is In Fact A True Goth Is Not A Satanist, Or Even Aethiest, Pagan, Or Any Other Religion. A True Goth, Which I Will Now Be Calling a goth, as that is what thye are, is, theologically speaking, a christian, or at least a christian subculture or cult. the religion/beliefs that they often have are based on the foundamental princepals of the story of the fall of mankind in genisis (thats the first book in the bible for all you dumbasses); when eve ate from the tree of knowledge, and gave adam its forbidden fruit as well, and ever since then, mankind has been sinful and dark, as illistrated through their dress sense. they then take the belief that no matter what a man/women may do, she/he will never gain a place in heaven unless they choose to accept Jesus Christ as their saviour and as the messiah. the third, and final primary belief of goths is heavily based around the apocalypse (end of the world; again for all you dumbasses) and that the tribilutaion (time of hardship and persecution for christians) will come, and no man, no matter what their beliefs, christian or not(a typical christian belives that before the tribulation they will ascend/transcend (ascend=rise to heaven, transcend=just disappear in this wortld and appear in heaven) beore the birth of the antichrist)
But over time, as christianity has become more and more disliked, the fashion has shifted to those who just like the look and share no beliefs of a true goth, they just claim to be goths as they have no better name for themselves...
Therfor, a mordern "typical" goth is not a goth at all, they are just a fallasees and so should be refered to as something other than a goth, it is however, Christian Goths who are the true goths, and so should be referred to as goths, not "christian goths"

oh and if you have doubts on what i have said here, ask yourself this...
why in Gods name would 13th century chruches be referred to as gothic churches (as well as buildings of that time, they all have the gothic style archetecture)

Yes They exist!
OK like, you believe in Jesus is the only way to get saved and you aren't like a hypocrite or anything and You have the same religion as other true christians and you can still keep the blue hair,safet pins, trenchcoat, spikes,chains, dog collar,hot topic's apperal, boots, peircings,eyeliner,white make-up...etc! in the bible it says come as you are.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #22
6SixSick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMeDeadly View Post
Well, to put it simply, they are heathens.

Let me explain.

As Goths, we believe in the One True God The Cure, and his only begotten son Bob Smith, who, in his great misery and mercifulness, did consume 1 and 5000 Holy Twinkies, to be born and resurrected again as Fat Bob Smith.

Tell me, son, have you accepted Fat Bob Smith as your lord and personal savior?
THE LOVE CATS! ba ba ba ba ba ba ba baa ba ba ba ba ba bubah!
6SixSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #23
6SixSick

What's so dark about Gothic culture (or at least its origins)?? Have you heard the cure?

The love cats, Friday I'm in love. There's a reason Goths were originally called "New Romantics" ya know..... Most of the goths i've met were vere lovely un "angsty" people who were very open to spiritual or religious beliefs.

Anyway a few example of the bands who started this "darkness"

The cure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa2nLEhUcZ0

Sisters of mercy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROnXv7Z7v28

Bauhaus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMPCJ...eature=related
6SixSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #24
JJ_Spade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SixSick View Post
What's so dark about Gothic culture (or at least its origins)?? Have you heard the cure?

The love cats, Friday I'm in love. There's a reason Goths were originally called "New Romantics" ya know..... Most of the goths i've met were vere lovely un "angsty" people who were very open to spiritual or religious beliefs.

Anyway a few example of the bands who started this "darkness"

The cure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa2nLEhUcZ0

Sisters of mercy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROnXv7Z7v28

Bauhaus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMPCJ...eature=related
My Fav song is "Boys Dont Cry" Thats my shit even tho Im a female but I sure as hell can relate.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #25
Mr.Doobie

Six, you and JJSpade are either annoying trolls, or you are both legitimately that dumb. In either case, I think I hate you.
Mr.Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote