Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
Joker_in_the_Pack

Sewing Advice

I'm sewing some zippers onto my camo pants because I refuse to buy Tripp and because I don't want to look like a MacFarlane clown. So I'm sewing a few simple black zippers onto the thighs of my camo pants.

My question is, should I use a sewing machine or hand sew?
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Saya

If you're not too confident in your hand sewing abilities or you just want to get it done quickly, I'd suggest the machine, its fast and the stitching is better. If the zippers aren't too long, I'd probably just handsew it. Its personal preference
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
Noirette

I think that you can hand sew this. Sewing machine will only make it faster, as far as I know.
but that depdends on your sewing skills. You can re-sew it anyway.
Noirette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
Cicero

Hand sew, hand sew, hand sew. One single mistake with the machine and the whole thing will buckle.

I'd suggest using double thread, and it can look cool to use a contrasting colour as well, but that's just my preference from sewing zippers onto tight black jeans.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:44 PM   #5
DarkGentleman

I do all mine with the machine (using the zipper foot). It also depends on the angle you are sewing the zippers onto the pants.
DarkGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:49 PM   #6
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGentleman
zipper foot
For precisely this reason, I'd hand sew it.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #7
hopelesslydevoted

Just give it a go hand sewing and see what happens ?! Worst thing will be you have to unpick it and start again....

If you are not used to the sewing machine I would practice a few first on scrap material, then when you feel good about it try the real thing....
hopelesslydevoted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #8
TheDomesticGothess

I'm a fan of machine sewing. It's far more secure and and far more professional looking. You'll get straighter lines and less fuss with a better interlocking structure. Worst case scenario? Get a stitch ripper so if you mess up on the machine you can just pick them out. Machine stitching is no more accident-permanent than hand stitching if you do your hand stitching right so use a machine.
TheDomesticGothess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #9
Kij.

Sewing machines do a much better job, I have experiences in both departments. If you use your hands, it will sometimes fall apart faster than what a sewing machine would do.
Kij. is offline   Reply With Quote