Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 05-18-2006, 03:20 PM   #26
Wise Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
As illiterate as I'll sound, To Kill a Mockingbird. I'm sorry. It's just... It's just so BORING
*stabs Maggot* You have no soul.

Only kidding, hun. Still, I have to disagree - I looove that book. Ah, well, each to their own. Better than everyone being the same, like so many cans of soup.

Soup? I dunno... I'm tired.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 03:23 PM   #27
spookypurple

Hmmm.... soup....

Also tired.

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:58 PM   #28
winged_dreams

I tried reading Interview with the Vampire but it just lost my interest. I can't really think of a bad book I'm sure I hated some book I had to read in school.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:29 AM   #29
NachtSorcier

Brave New World and The Great Gatsby. Far, far too dry.

I agree with To Kill a Mockingbird as Well. Pretty much anything I was assigned to read in school sucked.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:56 AM   #30
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Tendencies
I also didn't like the John Marsden series 'Tomorrow when the war began'. I red the first book and then they killed off my favourite character so I didn't read the rest.
That was my favourite series back in middle school! Then again, I was never keen on the girl who died in the first one. Was it... Corrie? I forget the names, but my favourite character was always the Greek guy for some reason. Homer! That's it.

WolfMoon, the Narnia books?! Ah well, to each her own.

I must say, despite how much I love the worlds within Jane Austen's books, they do get extremely tiring when trying to read the books all the way through. All that bloody pointless conversation! There are whole chapters on "Oh no! the ball room isn't large enough for 10 couple! What ever shall we do?!" It is because of this that I prefer the movies (excluding the most recent Pride and Prejudice, which was blasphemy. No one on this earth can replace Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy!). Her characterisation and basic plots are far more interesting than the meaningless babble between them.

And thank you Angel001, it seems our avatars are quite similar. Black kitties rule!
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:30 AM   #31
angel011

Austen's basic plots are all "Is she from a good enough family to become his wife?". Her novels are interesting, for a while. After a while, they just put me to sleep.

Black kitties rule, I agree (it's angel011, though).
Old 05-19-2006, 03:53 AM   #32
spookypurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
I No one on this earth can replace Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy!
I agree. Not that I have a thing about him (no, really, I don't), but I thought he captured the character perfectly. P&P is about the only one I'll read again and again. The others were alright but I would always quickly return to it...

Hamlet
Old 05-19-2006, 04:35 AM   #33
Cicero

Whoops, typo. Sorry Angel011!

And I agree, the lack of variation in the plots is another reason why I prefer the movies. The same thing is fine for a couple of hours with good actors and scenery, just not multiple times over 300+ pages.

I'll admit, I actually do have a bit of a thing for Colin Firth! But in every movie I've seen him in since Pride and Prejudice, I've always thought of him as Mr Darcy rather than Mr Firth, and that's a sure sign that he did a remarkable job of portraying the character.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:37 AM   #34
spookypurple

I wonder if he still feels he's living the part down (I mean, trying to get away from it). Because let's face it, to how many of us will he always be Mr Darcy??

Hamlet
Old 05-20-2006, 01:18 AM   #35
Juliet Bathory

I couldn't pass on this one...

Anne Rice's Mayfair witches and Gulliver's Travels (I have to read it for Uni and I'm only half way through. Just thinking about it makes me sleepy.)
I'm sure that I'll have a few more to add to the list by the time I graduate
Juliet Bathory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:13 AM   #36
Demonista_Ravenesque

Dan Brown books are TERRIBLE!

Blargh! What else? Snugglepot and Cuddlepie suck as well, and The Series of Unfortunate events. Hm...what else? Oh! Jane Austen's crap. I liked the use of language at one stage but the story is incredibly bland.

Anne Rice novels don't quite tickle my fancy either

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:18 AM   #37
Virulent Dryad

I tried to read the Da Vinci Code but it was really boring. I didn't get very far before putting it down. The book is hardly worth the controversy.
"Like that old tale, the girl who wanted to become the best dancer in the world. "Yes," said the sorceress, "but each time you set your foot on earth will be like knives slashing." "If you can stand the pain, you will be granted your desire."
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:30 AM   #38
Minyaliel

After a few books, the "Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan turned out to be some of the worst- written nonsense I've ever read.... Also, I tried reading "Tess d'Ubervilles" by something- Hardy some time ago, but it was really deadly boring.
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:41 AM   #39
Disfunction

As far as school books are concerned, To Kill a Mockingbird is my least favourite novel. Many people tilt their heads and issue the question why, but I haven't the time to go into a detailed explanation. I will just say that I did not find the writing at all entertaining, and the storyline was lacking in something (though I'm not certain of what to say), and on top of that, I was required to read if in 8th grade when I live in Chicago, in 9th grade when I moved to Austin, and in 10th grade when I made my way back to Canada. Three years of the same lukewarm reaction will oft result in a far greater negative reaction.

Apart from school books, I must admit that I simply despise the Harry Potter series. Upon attempting to read the first two books, I couldn't even begin to guess how people could find it at all enjoyable. The second book most of all was written so poorly that I was imagining the entire thing taking place among cartoon characters as opposed to actual people. It was a children's book, for certain, but as a thirteen year old, I just couldn't get into it.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:56 PM   #40
CreepyTendencies

I think I'm gonna have to agree with the aforementioned The Great Gatsby, To Kill a Mockingbird, and American Psycho. I actually did finish them all, but I found it to be a tedious time-suck.
CreepyTendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 04:27 AM   #41
Somber Illusions

Einstein's Dreams. It gave me a headache.
Somber Illusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:30 AM   #42
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somber Illusions
Einstein's Dreams. It gave me a headache.
I had to read that my first year of college, for some kind of college success class. I got a C because I refused to go for the second half of the semester, wherein we were supposed to meet in the commons and 'talk about our week and experiences'. I rang the bullshit bell. Well, turns out my girlfriend of the time (we'd taken the class together, collective "awwww") took it a lot more seriously than I did. Breakup in 3....2....1....

So yeah, I hate it too. Such a pretentious little book, too!
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:48 AM   #43
Nightweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virulent Dryad
I tried to read the Da Vinci Code but it was really boring. I didn't get very far before putting it down. The book is hardly worth the controversy.

I agree. Crappy copycat story from page one. I tried to read it but it gave me this unpleasant feeling that I'm wasting my time and that I'd be much better staring at the drying paint than reading that crap.
Nightweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:55 PM   #44
dreamydancer

Hate is a very harsh yet accurate word to describe my feelings towards everything I’ve read in school. I especially disliked Founding Brothers by Joseph J. Ellis and Washington Square by Henry James.

Washington Square was so dry and almost worthless. The heightened English made it even more tedious. I mean I know many people were able to read past the eighth grade level back then, but there seemed a certain lack of passion in this novel. Well, actually it’s not uncommon for such G-d awful novels to be overly descriptive.

Founding Brothers is sad waste of ink and paper. Seriously, it made me feel so common. I could barely comprehend the first chapter or was it the second? I’d say it beats Washington Square in awfulness, which is pretty sad considering I never got past the third chapter.

~Clan of Xymox
dreamydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:52 AM   #45
Alain

Heh! I had no idea so many people hated Dan Brown's work! The Classics department at ANU had a symposium (one hour in a lecture theatre, really), where lecturers defamed him, and concisely proved his assertations wrong. It was fun.

What else?
David Eddings, um... more David Eddings... Traci Harding... I don't have least favourite books, but least favourite authors, I suppose. Oh, oh! Euripides! But only when I have to read the greek. In English, without crasis and elision, he's fine ^_^
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:38 AM   #46
J.M.Lovechild

The worst book i have ever read was "Sunset Song" by Lewis Grassic Gibban. As a lover of books, i find it really hard to 'hate' a book, but i hated that one. I would have given up on it, but i had to read it for my Higher English course. I don't like "chick flick" type books either. They just seem to tell the same story over and over again, girl gets dumped, finds new boyfriend, gets dumped again, finds another boyfriend, lives happily ever after.

A lot of people seem to dislike "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown. I think it's like Marmite, you either love it or hate. Personally i love it.
J.M.Lovechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:43 AM   #47
Kinflame

Location: FGBWIERville, MKBJJKaryland, Unintelligent Shithole of America.
Well, marmite looks and tastes like shit. Much like Dan Brown's books.

Not that I've eaten them...

School books? Some uninventive Laurence Yep chinese nationalist bullshit book. He's written like twenty, and they're all about 'Chinese assimiliating their culture into America'. Last year, sixth grade.
Kinflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:04 AM   #48
Darkfeeling

Too be quite honest, I thought that C.S. Lewis' book "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" sucked. It had a very good beginning and middle, but the rest ruined it. I much prefer "The Magicians Nephew".
Darkfeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:47 AM   #49
succubus,queenofvampires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfeeling
Too be quite honest, I thought that C.S. Lewis' book "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" sucked.
Yeah,me too. It was really boring.
He kept on repeating the same idea over and over again: "She didn't close the wardrobe's door because she knew it was not wise to lock herself up in a closet..." or something like that.

Cartman(South Park): It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a woman's separation; this sort of penetration will
increase the population of the younger generation.
succubus,queenofvampires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:49 AM   #50
Somber Illusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobeh
I had to read that my first year of college, for some kind of college success class. I got a C because I refused to go for the second half of the semester, wherein we were supposed to meet in the commons and 'talk about our week and experiences'. I rang the bullshit bell. Well, turns out my girlfriend of the time (we'd taken the class together, collective "awwww") took it a lot more seriously than I did. Breakup in 3....2....1....

So yeah, I hate it too. Such a pretentious little book, too!
I bought it thinking it was literally about "Einstein's Dreams." By reading it, I hoped to understand his inconceivable mind better, instead it made me question mine. I felt pretty senseless after reading it because I couldn't grasp what the hell he was saying! After my step father completed it, I felt less challenged because it confused him as well, and he has two master degrees and an IQ of 150.
Somber Illusions is offline   Reply With Quote