Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:20 AM   #1
Aaroneet

Favorite Album

Has any one particular album struck a chord so deep within you that you could remember where you were when you first heard a song from it? Talk about your experiences here, or just give a name. Remember, these can be in any genre of music.

I'll start: My favorite album is Depeche Mode's Violator. I could remember how I felt, and what room of my appartment building I was in when I first heard the single, "Enjoy the Silence". I was a C.I.T returning from a stressful day at work, when the song was playing on TV. Needless to say it was the show's "blast from the past." If my jaw could have dropped to the floor, it would have. I think that I'll always remember hearing that single.

Your turn.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
Vyvian Blackthorne

Good goth...as cliche as it may be, my favourite albums are Disintergration by the Cure and In the Flat Field by Bauhaus. I must say, most of the tracks on Disintergration were beautifully written with an ever-lasting orchestra. Though I must say that my favourite track was, while listening in the dark, I heard 'Untitled'-and the song, I always felt was so underrated and not given much attention seeing as LOvesong did, it had such melancholy, graceful vocals and sung about the mourn and depression falling the death of a friend. I memorised every lyric without looking at them. As for Bauhaus, the final track before the bonus track 'Crowds'-was a piano-played, slightly angsty tune that was sorrowful and Peter's vocals were as beautiful and surreal as ever. That's just about all I can think of right now.

Goth Forever
Old 06-06-2007, 06:57 AM   #3
MollyMac

There are a few that come to mind as they were very specific to certain points of my life-

The Tossers' "Valley of the Shadow of Death"- between the upbeat and derelect "Good Mornin' Da'" to the lament of "Phoenix Park" and the missing someone yo ulove too much "Late"- every song just hit something specific for me in the last few years.

Jeff Buckley's "Grace", also, a few years back did not leave the CD changer for about two years- aside from being well crafted technically, his voice is like some kind of five octave range angel. "Last GoodBye" was his one hit before he drowned, but "Lover, you should have come over" is probably one of the most beautiful, sad, sexy amazing songs ever written.

He's not goth, but I think most of you would really dig him
Old 06-06-2007, 07:45 AM   #4
Draconysius

Christian Death - Only Theatre of Pain
It's the birth of romantic deathrock, and an absolutely perfect album. It's been in constant rotation in my playlist for over two years.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
Underwater Ophelia

The Craft soundtrack is actually pretty good.
Wild Mood Swings by the Cure...
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:23 AM   #6
Haunted House

Specimen's "Wet Warm Cling Film-Red Velvet Crush" My first real deathrock album I believe.
Southern Death Cult's self-titled album. This kept me company on those long summer night walks.
Also "Fall: The complete singles" by the Sex Gang Children. This is another one of those 'sounds of summer' albums for me. It traveled with me as frequently as the Southern Death Cult and Theatre of Hate did.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:48 AM   #7
badteccy

Fall-Sex Gang Children
Neon Bible-Arcade Fire
The Best of Siouxsie and the Banshees
Odelay-Beck
Treasure-Cocteau Twins
Disinigration-The Cure
Oh jesus...the're are just SO many,
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
Draconysius

So, I don't have to pick just one?! Ooh baby baby!

Theatre of Hate - Westworld
This band just... sounds like nothing else. romantic, slow, melancholy, dance-able, and have an occasional saxophonist. My favorite track, by a very close call, is "Anniversary", featuring the only female vocals they ever did.

Specimen - Wet Warm Clingfilm: Red Velvet Crush
What can I say that hasn't been said already? It's a feel-good album packed with plenty of glam goodness; with just the right amount of foreboding atmosphere. My favorite would be "Stand Up, Stand Out".

Virgin Prunes - If I Die, I Die
This is the Prunes' most dance-able album. It features my favorite Prunes track of all, the instrumental opener "Ulakanakulot", and "Caucasian Walk" in close second. It's abrasive, fully realized, and utterly decadent in every way. "Sweethome Under White Clouds" is an almost purely vocal track flowing with such emotion that... well, you just have to hear it yourself.

I'd add more, but I'd probably overload the gnet server.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:13 PM   #9
MIRON

Here's the first 10 "dark" albums that spring to mind.

WIRE - "154"
TELEVISION - "MARQUEE MOON"
SISTERS OF MERCY - "FIRST, LAST & ALWAYS"
THEATRE OF ICE - "LIFE IS A WILD AND SCAREY THING"
MAGAZINE - "REAL LIFE"
45 GRAVE - "SLEEP ON SAFETY"
VIRGIN PRUNES - "IF I DIE, I DIE"
BAUHAUS - "IN A FLAT FIELD"
MISSION UK - "NEVERLAND"
JOY DIVISION - "UNKNOWN PLEASURES"
MIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #10
Sumerian Nephilim

Only two albums come to mind that still facinate me:

The first one is 'Draconian Times' by Paradise Lost from 1995 which is one the greatest gothic metal albums of all time along with 'Bloody Kisses' & October Rust by Type O Negative & Wildhoney by Tiamat. Anyway I first seen this album in HMV about 2000 when I was looking for some interesting metal album, and the first thing that caught my eye was the incredible artwork, so I decided I'd chance it and hope for the best. It was about £16 Irish pounds at the time, so when I was in my bed that night I listened to it from start to finish and I thought it was one of the most unforgettable metal albums I'd heard in a long time and unfortunatly they have never topped it.

The second one is 'The Nephilim' by Fields of the Nephilim from 1988 and I heard this album back in March of 2004 and I have been obsessed with this band ever since. I was again trying to find any interesting old gothic bands to listen to when I came across Fields of the Nephilim by accident and they recommended 'The Nephilim' album so I was very curious about it. When I got home I decided to stick it on along with 'The Man Who Sold The World' by Bowie which I only got a lend of and is also amazing but is another story, anyway I was cleaning up my room and when it was finished I was floored by what I heard as I never heard guitar driven gothic rock so imaginative, inspiring, Moving, evocative and dark and needless to say I soon bought all the albums including 'Earth Inferno, Revelations & the recent 'Mourning Sun album from 2005.
Sumerian Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:04 AM   #11
thedoll

Sargent Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band- The Beatles

I love thinking about life as just one big play, and I love the characters presented, and the song where the girl is leaving home always made me feel like they understood what its like to be an adolescent and have that dream of taking off, then making me part of their show... I dunno...

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote