Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
Bat Attack

Ideas for art project?

I want to do an art project that is:
Gothic, dark, eerie, surreal, gloomy, sinister, mysterious, aristocratic, horror, creepy, victorian, vintage etc...
Containing objects like: old gramophones, bats, graveyards, old science equipment, formaldehyde animals, pocket watches, aristocrats, flock/damask wall paper, parchment, wax stamps, foxes etc.
Influences: Edgar Allan Poe, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Roald Dahl (yes I know they're not artists haha).
Salvador Dali.
I need a theme.
Any ideas? - Themes, name for project and general stuff.
Bat Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Jaye Jang

Already been done. Mel Brooks. Called it 'Young Frankenstein.'
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
Jaye Jang

My apologies Bat. Went back and reread this. Try a collage or a diorama. That might work. (Or you could do a still life).
Old 10-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Bat Attack

It's alright. Hmmm by project I mean like a themed sketchbook kind of thing, (not just one piece), so I need an idea for a theme for the project.
Oh, and other things I'd like to include are:
Storms at sea, anatomy and dissection.
Not sure how to put all these things into one project though.
I need a creative name/theme.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
LiUsAiDh

Is this for school? It sounds very cliche, if it is.

... Don't ever put Dali in with that bats, graveyards, old science equipment shit. Just - No.

You've also got too many sources, from too many genres. It'll look messy and won't flow well. I'd say mix 3 genres max.

If you're trying to get good marks too, these are all very, I dunno, unoriginal ideas. Think out of the box a little. Also, how are you going to do freaking observationals on bats, formaldehyde animals, aristocrats and foxes? You won't be able to pull all of these into one final piece without it looking like a 14 year old mall goth's jumble sale.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
Jaye Jang

Hi Lis. Very salient points. Well put.

Okay, Bat. Lis gave me an idea. It's this. Do a sketchbook on the Mummer's Museum in Philly. (Always wanted to go there. It's a museum that combines medical anomalies (oddities) with the bizarre). You might even title it 'Mummer's Museum'. That's the only way I can think of that you could pull all this together. (BTW Mummers has a website). Good luck.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
Bat Attack

It's not for school.
Yer you're right, there are too many things, but that's just how I am - messy and jumbled.
What, parchment and formaldehyde animals are mall goth?
Foxes and storms at sea together in one project is cliche?
I don't think so.
But yer I see where you are coming from with like jumble sale and messy, that's why I need one theme, that I can concentrate on, otherwise my art projects lead no where.
And you're right about not putting Dali in with those things. He's just one of my general influences in art.
Cheers.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
Bat Attack

Thanks Jaye Jang.
There's another museum - Gordons Museum, that sounds similar to that.
Except with both of them, it is quite hard to get information and pictures on the internet.
Also it's hard to go to visit them as well.
I'd like to have a few more ideas before I finally decide.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #9
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Attack
It's not for school.
Yer you're right, there are too many things, but that's just how I am - messy and jumbled.
What, parchment and formaldehyde animals are mall goth?
Foxes and storms at sea together in one project is cliche?
I don't think so.
But yer I see where you are coming from with like jumble sale and messy, that's why I need one theme, that I can concentrate on, otherwise my art projects lead no where.
And you're right about not putting Dali in with those things. He's just one of my general influences in art.
Cheers.
If you just want to entertain yourself for a few weeks/months then do whatever the fuck you want. If you actually want to create art, as in good art, then messy and jumbled doesn't usually work too well. Maybe look at Picasso's 'Guernica' for jumbled. I'll check out some sources you may like...

Yes, they are. They're in the oh-so-dark antique 'spooky' object category. Foxes and storms at sea? Hmm (see Turner for storms at sea). I get the feeling you don't 'get' surrealism. It isn't just a load of random shit you like stuck together, to seem unusual. Surrealism works with dream images, and just sitting in front of paper for hours drawing scenes from the subconscious. Surrealism can also not just play with subject matter, but composition, perspective, and colours.

If you really can't decide which themes to go for, do a few preliminary sketches of the objects, and ideas. Then see which work best. Don't mix them all.

Now... I'm googling you some sources. Like it or not....

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
Old 10-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #10
Bat Attack

Yer I've looked a Turner.
And I do get surrealism. I've done many projects on it in fact, and this time FOR school, so I wasn't actually going to do it in this project. And I wasn't necessarly going to include Salvidor Dali in my project, I was merely mentioning that he's my favourite artist. I see what you mean though, but I am going for the odd/unusual sort of thing not surrealism.
Oh and not jumble like Guernica, ah I'm sick off that, we spent like 1 year studying it.
Yer I'm going to put a few of my sketches up later.
And thanks.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #11
LiUsAiDh

Oh yes, fragmented will also alter the mood of your painting.

Picasso 'Guernica' http://nosnowhere.files.wordpress.co...8/guernica.jpg

Paolozzi (forgotten the title, sorry)
http://www.bigshinything.com/wp-photos/1631328795.jpeg

Paolozzi 'B.A.S.H.'
http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/Media?MEDIA_ID=218027

De Chirico 'The Uncertainty of the Poet'
http://www.tate.org.uk/adventcalenda...09_chirico.jpg

De Chirico 'Piazza D'Italia' (One of my favourite paintings - good for perspective tricks)
http://www.artknowledgenews.com/file...izaaDItali.jpg

Magritte 'The Red Model' (mixing ideas)
http://nsm.uh.edu/~dgraur/Images/magritte.redmodel.jpg

Magritte 'Time Transfixed'
http://www.unige.ch/lettres/framo/en...s/magritte.jpg

Turner 'Shipwreck' (Stormy seas/skies)
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/images/Turner.jpg

Old 10-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #12
LiUsAiDh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Attack
Yer I've looked a Turner.
And I do get surrealism. I've done many projects on it in fact, and this time FOR school, so I wasn't actually going to do it in this project. And I wasn't necessarly going to include Salvidor Dali in my project, I was merely mentioning that he's my favourite artist. I see what you mean though, but I am going for the odd/unusual sort of thing not surrealism.
Oh and not jumble like Guernica, ah I'm sick off that, we spent like 1 year studying it.
Yer I'm going to put a few of my sketches up later.
And thanks.
Oh. Well what kind of fragmented were you going for then?

Old 10-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #13
Bat Attack

Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it.
I know them all except the Palozzi ones.
I actually started off wanting to do a project on storms at sea, but then I wanted to do anatomy.
The thing is, I get really impatient and restless, so as soon as I started one project, I would want to start another, thats why I wanted to put it all together.
So I just need a theme/title that will include most/a nice amout of them nicely and neatly. And then I can forget about the rest and concentrate on that.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #14
LiUsAiDh

Why don't you just do three little ones.

Landscape - for the stormy seas, well 'seascape' I suppose...

Portraiture - For the anatomy stuff.

Still Life - For your antiquey Victorian shit.

Depending on enthusiasm and dedication, you could possibly do all at once. But don't mix them; the focuses will be all funny.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #15
Jaye Jang

Bat, sorry. I stand corrected. It's not the Mummer's Museum. It's this one.

http://www.collphyphil.org/mutter.asp
Old 10-12-2008, 07:30 AM   #16
Bat Attack

Oh yes, I've been on that website before.
Thanks anyway.
It still is hard to find pictures etc.
Anyway, I've decided I'm going to do two projects, both at the same time, but separately: "Storms At Sea" (storms at sea, moby dick and sea monsters) and "Anatomy" or mabye "Human Form" (Old anatomy drawings etc, dissections and old science equipment etc), so that website will be quite useful.
Thanks for the help Jaye Jang and Liusaidh.
I might put some pictures of my progress up in the art thread soon.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:24 AM   #17
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Regarding the "old scientific equipment", here is a collection of photos to kick-start your imagination:

http://www.apsleyfairs.com/exhibitors.php

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #18
Bat Attack

Thanks, that's really useful.