Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
Awake Knights

Man Faces 75 Years In Prison For Recording Cops

I'm sure that some of you have already heard of this by now. This man, Michael Allison, is facing 75 years for filming a cop on duty. This man is easily in his late 30s early 40. So this could be a life sentance if it actually goes down. I'm just wondering, where is the sanity in this?

I didn't know where to put this, in here, politics or rant, but this behavior from this HUGE govt is certainly disturbing, so I think it fits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNlJYSIzjoU
Awake Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Saya

I'd be surprised if he gets convicted or the case doesn't get thrown out even before sentencing, a federal judge just ruled that laws forbidding the public from filming police is unconstitutional.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Awake Knights

True. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him at least a couple of years or probation just to make an example of him.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
Alan

That's not how it works.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
Awake Knights

That's not how what works..?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
Alan

If it's fucking UNCONSTITUTIONAL, you're not going to have a judge saying "can't we at least give him a couple of years?"
real classy
Old 09-02-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
Awake Knights

Matt hale and Johnny Spencer are two off the top of my head.

The constitution is null and void if the right people are behind it.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
Alan

You mean Matt Hale, the white supremacist charged for ordering an undercover FBI agent to kill a man.
And Johnny Logan Spencer, the man who was sentenced to three years in prison for writing a detailed poem about how he would kill the president? That IS illegal.

Neither of these people are in jail for the reasons of this thread. It's fucking idiotic that you would defend Matt Hale. I can understand your concern about the incarceration of Spencer, but threatening the president and filming a cop are two different actions.
You clearly cannot think of anyone who is still serving a long sentence for filming a cop, but you won't admit that this issue has already been resolved. There's a reason only far-right websites and NWO nutjobs keep pretending that filming cops is still illegal.
real classy
Old 09-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
Awake Knights

Nowhere in the poem does he make reference to himself. Interpretation reflects more on the reader than the writer. Off the top of my head I did not think of one, no.

What Hale went to prison for was typing "I will not have anything to do with this." So your information is obviously the "for public consumtion" version.

Writing a poem about the assassination of the president (i'll probably get my door kicked in at 6 in the morning for typing that) and filming a cop are both first ammendment issues, so yes, the ARE the same actions.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Alan

No. Each can use the first amendment as a defense in court, but they're NOT the same action and they clearly WON'T be accused of the same 'crime' in court.
You fail law forever.
real classy
Old 09-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #11
ZyklonB

I'm sorry sir, but the size of your tinfoil hat is illegal. Please tone it down a bit, it's causing interference with the local radio stations.
ZyklonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
Awake Knights

Directing that toward...
Old 09-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #13
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
No. Each can use the first amendment as a defense in court, but they're NOT the same action and they clearly WON'T be accused of the same 'crime' in court.
You fail law forever.
It gives me wood watching you lay the smack down on people.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #14
Awake Knights

Well that was a "smack down" fail. There are mountains of evidence to show that "the law" is void if the right people are behind it like I said earlier. Those in power will do what they know they can get away with. Call it what you will, you'e a tool if you think the system works.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #15
Grausamkeit

None of us even said anything close to that. We often rant against the failings of the system. You just got spanked over an indefensible position and didn't like it. I don't always like being spanked, either, but sometimes it's necessary.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #16
Awake Knights

What was indefensible?
Old 09-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #17
Alan

The idea that you can bitch about one ruling (which isn't even an issue anymore) by showing examples of other unrelated rulings.
real classy
Old 09-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #18
Awake Knights

Not the ruling. Glad you picked up on that...

"I view them as unrelated"(fact)
Old 09-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #19
Saya

Filming the cop was deemed an issue of freedom of the press rather than free speech. The judge ruled that technology has blurred the line between professional journalist and amateur so its too much of a slippery slope to say civilians don't have the same right.

Threats of violence and inciting violence are not protected by free speech.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #20
Awake Knights

Well, I think the issue with this particular man is that it was in Illinois and Illinois has a (albeit illegal) law on eavesdropping which, because it's not specified or restricted to types of technology it leaves it "open" to camcorders that also record sound.

I'll assume that your later statement is in relation to the poem? Sorry if i'm wrong in doing that, but the poem was no more encouraging, warning or calling for violence than any movie does by showing a shootout. It was merely the description of a scenario.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #21
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awake Knights View Post
Well, I think the issue with this particular man is that it was in Illinois and Illinois has a (albeit illegal) law on eavesdropping which, because it's not specified or restricted to types of technology it leaves it "open" to camcorders that also record sound.
Doesn't really matter in the long run, if its unconstitutional to ban recording the police, than its unconstitutional. Doesn't matter what state it is.

Quote:
I'll assume that your later statement is in relation to the poem? Sorry if i'm wrong in doing that, but the poem was no more encouraging, warning or calling for violence than any movie does by showing a shootout. It was merely the description of a scenario.
Posting it on the internet on a Neo Nazi facebook group put it into context. If it was just a poem in an artsy book he probably could have gotten away with it, circulating it amongst people who would probably gladly kill the first black president? I don't know if he should have gotten convicted but I do not blame the USSS for taking it seriously and recommending a criminal complaint.

Also, he had not shown up to a mandatory parole meeting and tested positive for narcotics while on parole, all things considered getting under three years was pretty good: http://www.wlky.com/download/2010/0219/22615404.pdf

ETA: Nevermind, he didn't even get convicted, he pleaded guilty.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:18 PM   #22
Awake Knights

Blowing off parol and pissing hot is retarded in itself. That aside, I think it says something about this system when an "evil" "wicked" "racist" "nazi" gets busted for that and something like the following link hardly gets an eyebrow raised (legally speaking)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p50qHzC01E0
Old 09-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #23
Alan

He got busted for threatening the president. That is what is illegal.
Who gets you?
real classy
Old 09-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #24
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awake Knights View Post
Blowing off parol and pissing hot is retarded in itself. That aside, I think it says something about this system when an "evil" "wicked" "racist" "nazi" gets busted for that and something like the following link hardly gets an eyebrow raised (legally speaking)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p50qHzC01E0
They are labeled a hate group, just like the Nazis, were barred from entering Canada, which is more than we we do for a lot of hate spewing white people (Neo Nazis, Anne Coulter, Westboro). Usually to get convicted of inciting violence you have to prove that someone committed violence as a result of his speech. Coulter gets away with saying we should kill Muslims if they refuse to convert because no one has done it so far as a result that we can tell.

Threatening the president however is an entirely different law, which is what Spencer was charged with.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #25
Ben Lahnger

Man Faces 75 Minutes In Hell For Reporting His Idiotic Position

Grab your popcorn, pour yourself a cold adult beverage and pull up a seat. It's time once again for that Gnet specialty, the idiot roast!

Tar will be sprayed and feathers will fly,
And when it's all done we'll see by and by,
that Michael Allison won't do any time,
and there won't be much point to this thread or this rhyme.

Disprove AK's statements, be blunt and be curt.
I won't stay awake knights if his feelings are hurt.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote