Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
Godslayer Jillian

Fuck the "Classical" posers

After reading a resurrected thread of "Classical" music I've discovered something about myself.
It pisses me off that most of the world think that anything that has an orchestra and fucking violins is Classical.
How many people mention an endless list of shitty bands with no musical value whatsoever and then try to justify said shitty musical tastes by saying they also enjoy 'classical music', as if saying that means that they are really connoisseurs and their preferences in bands is somehow validated. Metalheads have an absurdly high ratio of this fuckers.
But do they really enjoy classical music?
No.
They can't even distinguish between Classical and Baroque. They just think, "oooh, violins, pretty! Oooh, an instrument I didn't know even existed; I'm sophisticated!"

What kind of people did they list as 'classical' in just that thread?
Back, Vivaldi, Liszt, Chopin, Brahms, Verdi?

Two Baroques and four Romantics?

The only Classical composers people ever guess correctly are Mozart and Beethoven, and Beethoven's classical works are shit compared to the passion of his evolved Romantic latter style. Poor Haydn doesn't even get a honorable mention nowadays.

But who cares, huh? They all sound the same lol
I'm just a prick trying to look better than anyone else, as if countless of posers didn't mention 'classical' composers to find validation and admiration for oh so high brow culture. At least I got my shit straight.

If you can't hear the chasm of difference between Vivaldi and Chopin; the worlds apart that are early Beethoven and later Beethoven; if you can't see how Tchaikovsky is much better than the rest combined...
then no; you don't like 'classical music', you just like the idea of being the kind of person that likes classical music.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
DRM

Wow, I must admit that I have learned the extent of my lack of knowledge in classical, from reading this thread.
But, I do agree that Beethoven's later music is perhaps a bit better then his earlier.
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
HauntingMist

It's Bach, not Back. And you're absolutely right. We only pretend to enjoy classical music to impress the masses at gothic.net. I feel like a fucking pimp-daddy connoisseur. FYI, I don't care how you try to classify it, all the music above is classical. Deal with it.
HauntingMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Godslayer Jillian

Sorry, that was a spelling error. But no, in fact, classical is too different from baroque and romantic for you to say "all the music above is classical"
Especially in such a place as this where people say shit like "this is not darkwave, it's aggrotech" or even worse "this is not death symphonic metal, it's viking melodic metal"

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Sorry, that was a spelling error. But no, in fact, classical is too different from baroque and romantic for you to say "all the music above is classical"
Especially in such a place as this where people keep saying "this is not darkwave, it's aggrotech" or even worse "this is not death symphonic metal, it's viking melodic metal"
Wiki disagrees.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_music
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
Yeah, see? Even wiki distinguishes between Baroque, Classical, and Romantic.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 01-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
KontanKarite

I fucking hate "classical" music. Fair enough? At least I wont bullshit ya.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Yeah, see? Even wiki distinguishes between Baroque, Classical, and Romantic.
The page is "Classical Music". In other words, the term "Classical Music" covers multiple periods including (but not exclusive to) the Classical Period.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
Godslayer Jillian

If you wanna go with wiki, there's a difference between European art music, and THE classical music.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 01-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
PortraitOfSanity

I listen to some "classical", but I couldn't tell you the difference between baroque, romantic etc anymore. Maybe back when I played cello, in like 5th grade.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #11
viscus

Quote:
"this is not death symphonic metal, it's viking melodic metal"
I lol'd.

I love it when the newbs post 20 different subgenres of Metal under music that they like.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #12
HauntingMist

Quote:
Especially in such a place as this where people say shit like "this is not darkwave, it's aggrotech" or even worse "this is not death symphonic metal, it's viking melodic metal"
That too is irritating, I agree. But there are a million stupid goth music threads, and there's one classical music thread. Seems a little premature to get pissed off about the subject matter discussed is all I'm sayin'.
HauntingMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #13
Godslayer Jillian

It's not just because of that thread. It just made me realize it.
It happens too fucking often that people include a last minute mention of 'classical music' hoping others will think that means the person is smart and cultured, when they really know jack about what they're talking about.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 01-13-2009, 12:02 AM   #14
exacerbatedpoet

I don't think they do it an effort to look cultured. "Classical music" styles are hard to distinguish between for the average person. Especially since classical music for the most part is very popular. I mean come that do people especially the younger listen to more: Fallout Boy or Tchaikovsky? I use to play the violin and it took me time to be able to sift to all the different styles and time periods and even now I'm what you call an expert. I will agree with you that any music that has an orchestra is just lumped together and labeled as "classical music" but I don't think people are wrong for it. Its not like rock where you can say this is metal and this punk. Its more complex. On a side note since when did "classical music" become popular?
exacerbatedpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #15
tekajo

i always thought "classical" meant the broad spectrum encompassing all of the music relating to a certain "form" from the Middle Ages 'til now and "Classical" referred to the actual period of that particular style.

i could be wrong for it's been quite a few years since i've even cared.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:09 AM   #16
Apathy's_Child

I'm actually with Albert on this one - not knowing the particular sub-branch of classical to which a piece of music belongs doesn't mean it isn't classical. It just means that the listener sees music as something to be listened to rather than researched, which doesn't necessarily make them a poseur.

The people with otherwise shitty taste who throw in Beethoven in an attempt to look cultured - yeah, it's annoying, but so transparent it's barely worth worrying about. They'll usually manage to top "I like MCR and MOZART!!!1" on the idiocy scale pretty quickly.

Quote:
Yeah, which is fucking stupid IMO. I've genuinely never understood why people give a shit enough to argue about this shit for page after page. Labels = invented concept = can only ever be functional as long as there is diversity and experimentation in music.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:37 AM   #17
Minyaliel

To most people, classical music is any music played in a classical style. Thatīs the way it is. I also get pissed off when people call Il Divo and Bocellis pop work "classical music", but thatīs the way it is, deal with it.

I know many of the composers Iīve listed in that thread are not wienerclassisistic. I have studied classical music, so I know the history of music like I know my own sheet music archives. But I have also learned that most people donīt know the difference, and thus, I resort to a language and terms that I know everyone understands. This is a damn forum, not a treatise on the history of music, Jillian. Not everyone knows the various branches of musical schools of thought and practise. Iīd rather people understand what Iīm talking about than sounding iike an elitist Besserwisser, because that isnīt going to spark anything except perhaps frustration; and it will certainly not contribute to the conversation in general.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #18
viscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
To most people, classical music is any music played in a classical style. Thatīs the way it is. I also get pissed off when people call Il Divo and Bocellis pop work "classical music", but thatīs the way it is, deal with it.

I know many of the composers Iīve listed in that thread are not wienerclassisistic. I have studied classical music, so I know the history of music like I know my own sheet music archives. But I have also learned that most people donīt know the difference, and thus, I resort to a language and terms that I know everyone understands. This is a damn forum, not a treatise on the history of music, Jillian. Not everyone knows the various branches of musical schools of thought and practise. Iīd rather people understand what Iīm talking about than sounding iike an elitist Besserwisser, because that isnīt going to spark anything except perhaps frustration; and it will certainly not contribute to the conversation in general.
Is he attacking you personally?

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #19
Minyaliel

... oh gods, in retrospective, that just reads so wrong... wasnīt meant to sound like a flame. Itīs a cultural thing; I was thinking in norwegian. Sorry.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:52 AM   #20
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Care for some cheese with your whine?
Old 01-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #21
exacerbatedpoet

Jillian, I get it where you are coming from. People are always talking about things that they don't understand but in this case like I said earlier its complex. It takes training and a lot of research to be able to understand classical music to the extent that you are talking about. Its hard for the average person to understand the subtleties that make up each style. I agree with Minyaliel. You just have to accept that the average person isn't an expert.
exacerbatedpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #22
a morbid curiosity

Yeah, I thought Classical was a broad term for all three, too.
I prefer Romantic though, way more.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #23
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Please, if you mention Baroque followed by a list of composers, at least include Telemann.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #24
Felreaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
I lol'd.

I love it when the newbs post 20 different subgenres of Metal under music that they like.
Vegetarian Proggressive Grindcore Metal ftw!!! Are there any bands other than Cattle Decapitation (Harvest Floor on the 20th, fuck yizzle!) that fit under that category?
Felreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #25
Albert Mond

Progressive Grindcore's an actual genre? There was somebody asking about that at Progarchives recently.