Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #126
L'Oiseau Noir

My Lord.

It pains me to hear about things like this, but unfortunately prejudice, whether it be based on race, your preferred lifestyle, sexual orientation, and so forth, is prevalent in todays mainstream society. I hope the couple recovers from this and sues those pieces-of-shit for all they're worth! And it's not so much the fact that this couple was allegedly gothic (though if they were, then that just makes me triply angry), it's the fact that, as others on this thread have stated, these are human beings. Nobody, whether you may be gothic, punk, emo, red, purple, polka dot, or whatever else, deserves to be treated like this!

Beaten to the point their sexes were hard to identify? Disgusting!

I hope those boys get a good thrashing from the law, though I doubt it--they'll probably get a slap on the wrists and that's it. The older ones, though, may get a little more.

In any case, they better get a good financial kick in the ass if anything!
L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:41 PM   #127
Edward Strange

Well, GBH with Intent does have the possibility of a life sentence. Or, in the case of youth offenders detention at "her Majesty's pleasure" (is there anything that good woman won't do?).
But I fear you are right, it is very unlikely that the younger members of the gang will get any form of meaningful punishment, one can only hope the long arm of the law comes down hard on the older members, to set an example.

Sadly, it's very unlikely.

Still, what can you do? Apart from read the Sun and cluck our tongues and shake our heads like the crew at work do.

Breathing heard just below the floorboards.
The sense of something terrible rousing itself from
from its torpor.
Edward Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:00 AM   #128
Haex

Abhorrent. Reading this brought me to tears, and I'm a 25 year old male across the world in the US. Events like this bring so much pain to so many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
This sort of thing should give us pause in our petty disagreements, and unite us against these senseless crimes against goths!
I'm completely with you, Humane. The least we can do is try and learn to cooperate within our community. That some of you were flaming each other through this thread is deplorable. And it is a Goth issue. However they came there, those targeted were part of and identified with the Goth community. An event like this could have happened to any of us. The least we can do is try not to be callous assholes for a moment long enough to console and mourn properly.
Haex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:41 AM   #129
L'Oiseau Noir

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Haex. If anything, things like this should bring the Gothic community closer together--perhaps I'm being quixotic, placing such a scale for this, but it's what I firmly believe we should be doing. Then again, even if we banded together, what would that produce? Most likely nothing--we're, I suppose, considered a minority of sorts, and due to things such as Columbine and what not, we've had a bad reputation attached to the subculture. We'd most likely be ignored.

Even so, it shouldn't stop us from taking a moment to pause and mourn this terrible event. We can only hope some form of justice is served to these boys... but I wouldn't count on such a thing. I can be hopeful, though.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:54 PM   #130
Rae Ven Rae

well put Noir, well put...
Rae Ven Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #131
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae Ven Rae
well put Noir, well put...
Thank you, very much.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #132
DementedRaven

Wow, i didnt know things like that seriously happen. Here in Greece, we dont have that kind of behaviour. Well, people stare, or sometimes call us names if they are very brave, but most are too afraid of us to actually do anything. And well, we didnt have the Columbine incident here, so they just treat us like we are just weird and really scary... :P
DementedRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:22 PM   #133
Lapin

This incident has put me on high alert again. I had been lulled into thinking I was safe, that these types of things didn't really happen.

Now a woman is dead because of some idiots.

I don't go out alone at night anymore, I always go with at least two others. I carry mace again. I've called the MPs (Military Police) several times in the past few weeks on groups of teenage boys out in the neighborhood past curfew, because I'm scared of them.

These were boys that a month or so ago I was shouting out my window at, snarky remarks about bedtimes. Now I'm calling the police to have them sent home because I'm afraid to go outside at night with them out there.

I'm small and I'm weak and they could very easily do to me what the boys did that poor woman and her boyfriend.

The only thing I can do is express sorrow to the people who knew and loved her. I'm sorry, so sorry, that this happened, and that it's not even safe to go to the corner store anymore.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:31 PM   #134
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin
This incident has put me on high alert again. I had been lulled into thinking I was safe, that these types of things didn't really happen.

Now a woman is dead because of some idiots.

I don't go out alone at night anymore, I always go with at least two others. I carry mace again. I've called the MPs (Military Police) several times in the past few weeks on groups of teenage boys out in the neighborhood past curfew, because I'm scared of them.

These were boys that a month or so ago I was shouting out my window at, snarky remarks about bedtimes. Now I'm calling the police to have them sent home because I'm afraid to go outside at night with them out there.

I'm small and I'm weak and they could very easily do to me what the boys did that poor woman and her boyfriend.

The only thing I can do is express sorrow to the people who knew and loved her. I'm sorry, so sorry, that this happened, and that it's not even safe to go to the corner store anymore.
I sincerely hope, wherever you go, that you'll be safe. I wouldn't want this to happen to another person again--you've got my prayers.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #135
Rae Ven Rae

Lapin, don't let idiots make you live in fear--I understand but as soon as that happens, those jerks win...
Rae Ven Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #136
Lapin

I was scared long before. People in general tend to scare me half out of mind. Now this has just driven it home once again that the world is not safe. You cannot trust people to even think about doing the right thing.

I hope that none of us have this happen. It's not about the fact that they were gothic, it's about the fact that they were human, and these boys thought it would be laugh to beat them half to death and leave them. That others can do this just terrifies me.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #137
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin
I was scared long before. People in general tend to scare me half out of mind. Now this has just driven it home once again that the world is not safe. You cannot trust people to even think about doing the right thing.

I hope that none of us have this happen. It's not about the fact that they were gothic, it's about the fact that they were human, and these boys thought it would be laugh to beat them half to death and leave them. That others can do this just terrifies me.
The world is truly an evil place, full of wicked people.

But don't let them deter you from going about your daily life. Be strong, show those punks whose boss! I know it's easier said than done, but life deems risks as an unfortunate a reality it is.

I know what you're going through though. Yes, I may be sixteen, but I've had an encounter similar this one. A guy and his girlfriend jumped me because I was a goth--his girlfriend batted me around a bit while he sat back and laughed. All because of my clothing. For awhile, I was scared to go anywhere (mind you, I did teach that bitch a lesson--don't mess with a girl in boots), but I still feared something like that would happen again. Luckily I wasn't damaged too badly--a cut on my hairline and a bruised jaw, but that was it. Still, it scared me.

But I realized that if I kept letting fear prevail over me, I'd get nothing done, I'd get nowhere or be able to hang out with friends. So I sucked it up and went out again--so far so good, I haven't been hurt--the worst I've received since then is jeers.

All I'm saying is you sometimes have to take risks even if you're scared. I did, and I'm still in one piece.

And as I said, you have my prayers--I hope you don't have to go through what I had to, even though it was on a smaller scale than the incident stated in this article.

Smaller, yes, but did it hurt? Definitely.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:12 PM   #138
Edward Strange

How did you get her back? If you don't mind me asking. Not that I'm after vengeance tales of course, I'm just curious to see how you got your pound of flesh...

from its torpor.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #139
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Strange
How did you get her back? If you don't mind me asking. Not that I'm after vengeance tales of course, I'm just curious to see how you got your pound of flesh...
Luckily she wasn't formally trained in fighting. I'd learned a few take-down moves from my friend's uncle, who's a cop for the NYPD. I threw her down and roughed her up a bit--but she got off a lot easier than me. She's lucky I'm not a bloodthirsty-type person.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:26 PM   #140
Edward Strange

Did you just jump on her as she was walking by? O_o

from its torpor.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:39 PM   #141
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Did you just jump on her as she was walking by? O_o
She wasn't walking, lol. We were fighting. I just caught her at a moment she wasn't trying to claw my face off, so I managed to get her down.

Hope that clears things up. n_n
Old 09-15-2007, 09:48 AM   #142
Edward Strange

o.o
Blimey! She sounds just nasty!
I'm really sorry to hear about that, but I'm rather glad you 'gave her what for', not wishing to play too national stereotypes or anything.

from its torpor.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:54 AM   #143
Dead Angel

Ten bucks they were 'Neds'. Probably part of the 'beat a emo' movement. (Goths and emo's are considered 'just as good to beat up' by some subhumans in the UK.)
Dead Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:47 PM   #144
DarkPrayer

Location: In a place covered in darkness but filled with only good people
Unfair. That is so so freakin Unfair!
DarkPrayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #145
Delkaetre

There was a memorial service held for Sophie today in a town near her home. I wasn't able to attend, but those who managed to have said it was very touching. It has been covered by the BBC news website.
Sophie's death brought the UK goth community together in a big way, and it was decided that a memorial would be raised for her. To that end, many fundraisers have been held, and small silk roses have been sold to wear as tokens in her memory. Over £3000 has been collected (that's over $6000, for those who don't keep up with exchange rates) towards getting a bench with her memorial plaque on it erected at Whitby, the town which hosts the bi-annual goth festival. The money left over from paying for the bench and council costs is due to go into reforestation schemes.

I know that some of you here object to drawing attention to the fact she was a goth and was attacked for it, but the fact is that subcultures don't have the same protection under Discrimination bills as other minorities (eg sexual, religious). We've all been victims of abuse from thugs, whether merely verbal or viciously physical, and Sophie's death served as a way of uniting the community against this kind of thing happening again. There is an ongoing petition to have discrimination based on subculture or appearance added to the anti-discrimination laws.
We're sick of getting so much rubbish for how we look, and sick of attacks, and that horrible tragedy of Rob and Sophie was a catalyst to get the UK goths united against any more abuse.
All of the events have been organised in conjunction with her family, before anyone objects and asks about privacy for the bereaved. They are aware of the gothic community's feelings about the death, and have started a campaign called
Stamp
Out
Prejudice,
Hatred and
Intolerance
Everywhere.
I would like to ask that, before anyone posts their reply to this, they remember that sarcasm is not always noticable in a purely written form, and thus offence may be taken, completely by accident, at a comment that's simply meant to have been blunt or honest. It is a very easy mistake to make.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:35 AM   #146
DepthsofSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellforgedX
Disgusting. I know there is no bright side, but at least no one had guns...
What is Sophie (or had been carring a (A bet legally-owned and registered) firearm? Not that you can in the UK, but in the US she could have been.

We would not be in mourning today for her and her boyfriend.

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:38 AM   #147
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepthsofSpace
What is Sophie (or had been carring a (A bet legally-owned and registered) firearm? Not that you can in the UK, but in the US she could have been.

We would not be in mourning today for her and her boyfriend.
Really? What if the teenagers who assaulted them in the first place carried guns and just shot both of them before they even knew what hit them?

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:45 AM   #148
DepthsofSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine
Really? What if the teenagers who assaulted them in the first place carried guns and just shot both of them before they even knew what hit them?
That could happen too. Though they (the thugs that did this) still could have been armed with illegal firearms in the UK, and of course the lawabiding citizens would not have. Actaully, there is nothing, not even a cane sword or the like that those two could have used to fight back. I'd rather always have a chance of fighting back, rather than being a helpless victim. most of the time crimes like this aren't done with guns anyways. Part of the sick thrill and enjoyment to the assaulters is beating the living hell out of someone, and usually they aren't trying to kill (not in their minds at least), rather maime. In many cases (that I see in the newspaper overhere all the time) someone draws a weapon to a would be attacker and they flee. No shots fired, or anything.

(Oh, thread bumped for our pal who posted in the General section)

Old 12-09-2007, 09:12 AM   #149
Edward Strange

Steady on, let's not all tool up with six-shooters and lychin' ropes just yet!

Personally I feel such action would only make the situation worse. If they ever bother you again, there is a good chance -they- will be carrying some sort of weapon.
And if you happen to get stopped by the police or reported, you've got a fair bit of explaining to do.

Yes, you are right, and yes it is sick. But I don't think carrying weapons is the way to solve the situation.
I feel that perhaps the best thing to do is just try and walk away, or call the police.
I know it isn't perfect, but I can't think of what else to say. In the interests of your safety just stay away from those sorts of situations as much as possible.

Other than that, let's all load up with stun guns. *Bzzt*

from its torpor.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:37 AM   #150
DepthsofSpace

Quote:
Steady on, let's not all tool up with six-shooters and lychin' ropes just yet!

Personally I feel such action would only make the situation worse. If they ever bother you again, there is a good chance -they- will be carrying some sort of weapon.
And if you happen to get stopped by the police or reported, you've got a fair bit of explaining to do.

Yes, you are right, and yes it is sick. But I don't think carrying weapons is the way to solve the situation.
I feel that perhaps the best thing to do is just try and walk away, or call the police.
I know it isn't perfect, but I can't think of what else to say. In the interests of your safety just stay away from those sorts of situations as much as possible.

Other than that, let's all load up with stun guns. *Bzzt*
If you've ever dealt with the police, you should know they rarely help out or respond to anything other than an actual attack.

If you obtain the weapon legally, and have a CCW you SHOULD be fine with the law enforcement. Here in Tennessee, they recommend it because when you are cornered in a dark ally, even if you called 911, all the police are going to be able to do is take pictures of your body and the crime scene.

I do recommend stun batons (buying one for myself and my sister), as a legal alternative (in some parts of the country) for those not yet 21.