Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:47 AM   #126
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Wheee! I got filmed dancing today and the teacher is going to try and seperate all the different people's dances and give us each our clip.

Unfortunately I fucked my wrist up earlier and had to change a bit on the day and that camera is cursed... everyone who was filmed messed up, lost balance, tripped over or some other not nice thing happened.

Hopefully I can get it up soon.
Sir Canvas Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:53 AM   #127
honeythorn

Why are you so desperate to be on TV Catch? I'm curious.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:59 AM   #128
NightmareInShiningArmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrosexual
Whoa those judges were cunts.

Well I thought you had great enthusiasm and flow. And kudos to you for standing gallantly in the line of fire of those wankers. They were mean.

Don't give up on your dream.

x x
+1
Good on you Catch for getting up there and doing what you did.
NightmareInShiningArmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:21 AM   #129
MollyMac

Staggers the fucking imagination.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #130
thekorupt

Ok, first off, Hi. I am new here and this thread caught my attention. I am sorry to say, I read the entire thread and saw all the videos. And I just HAD to put my 2 cents worth in.

First, to the people here OTHER than Catch:
She is obviously the most insecure person on the face of the planet. You remember that kid on the playground in elementary school that ate bugs for attention? Everyone thought they were SOOO gross, but somehow they saw themselves as popular and thus validated by the "any attention is good attention" concept? Well... when they grow up, they become Catch. A little girl desperately seeking validation, and when she doesn't get it, she justifies it by spinning it. Basically... she will never "get it".

And to Catch:
You are an attention whore. Thats fine, but accept it and admit it. Oh, and your tactic of deflecting your discontent into "It doesn't bother me" doesn't fool anyone. Get some counseling, get a clue, get some weed, whatever you have to do to get the picture. You aren't amusing, entertaining, or anything else. You, darling, are a joke. Nothing more than the punchline of a knock knock gimmick.

Meanwhile, I can genuinely say I hate people like you.

That's all.
thekorupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #131
electrosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrosexual
Whoa those judges were cunts.

Well I thought you had great enthusiasm and flow. And kudos to you for standing gallantly in the line of fire of those wankers. They were mean.

Don't give up on your dream.

x x
It should be noted that I took that back.
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:45 PM   #132
MollyMac

TheKorupt: You're new. You're a smartass. I like you.

Electro: Wise move.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #133
thekorupt

Thank you Molly. So far, I like you too.

And smartass just comes natural to me. As natural as eye color. Yep.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:49 PM   #134
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareInShiningArmour
+1
Good on you Catch for getting up there and doing what you did.
Yeah, congrats on wasting people's time and flailing around like an epileptic fish under an army of flashing strobe lights. If only the rest of us had your courage.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #135
MollyMac

Hey, that fishy at the end of the "Epic" video lives!!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #136
JCC

Mindlessly traipsing from show to show can hardly be called living.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #137
MollyMac

No, but maybe if she did het all crackly-bacon-ish liek teh fishy at the end of "Epic", she wouldn't suck so hard. Then again, she probaly wouldn't be good at that either. That fish was a natural.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:08 PM   #138
JCC

Don't give her any ideas, she might do an act where she impersonates a fish.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #139
thekorupt

oh god. I would hate to have to throw out my aquarium just because she tainted the concept of fish in my mind. The fish are innocent! They don't deserve that shame...
Old 07-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #140
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Yay I got the clip of me dancing my solo, it's pretty bad but I should be able to upload it soon
Old 07-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #141
MollyMac

Hey, mine was bad, too. Let's see it, dammit!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 12:55 AM   #142
Sir Canvas Corpsey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DFuUhJ5iQY

I can see so many places to improve on...
Old 07-17-2008, 06:39 AM   #143
thekorupt

Well... mine is, of course, an untrained opinion.. but..

I indefinitely see the kabuki in it. Overall, I don't think it was that bad. I see what you mean about areas to improve on, but I also see alot of talent, and alot of work and practice went into that. you seemed to move really well with the music. Don't be so hard on yourself!

:-)
Old 07-17-2008, 06:57 AM   #144
MollyMac

Your footing was inconsistent- torn between a modern style of paralleling the insides of the feet and a more classical style of first position/heels together and toes apart. It seems that this threw you a couple of times in that your body was reacting to where you thought that your feet would be, and not where they were.

I loved your ability to go high-motion to static without the jerkiness that many less experienced dancers have. A master of this fast/slow/fast/fast/STOP almost robotic tic is Zoe Jakes:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NFXNZLsEVqw

I am not very familiar with the Kabuki style, so I cannot really comment on that, but I did like the more motionable bits where your hands and feet knew where they were. The second "burst" of speed seemed to lose that (it was a bad day, you said. We all have 'em. I have a video somewhere of tripping over some belt fringe and almost doign a face plant).

One part i don't get is why the showing of flexibility for its own sake? Suptavirasana (the layback over teh calves) was good, but I didn't understand why it was there.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:06 AM   #145
le_revenant

Kudos to you for getting up there.
BUT!! yep, that was bad.
However! While there'll always be amateur critics who get their private jollys off by being unmercifully cruel, not every critic is cruel by saying you weren't as good as you thought you were.
I normally couldn't care less about these competition shows (i.e American Hack, So You THOUGHT You Could Dance!?, etc.) but have occasionally tuned in & caught some of the bad performances. The dance ones are particularly interesting b/c I've seen the judges use major kid gloves in their critiques with some contestants, and seen the "dancer" go ballistic.
I guess its just the inevitable result of American society continually preaching "WE'RE ALL WINNERS!, even if you aren't good" to all the kiddies.

For what its worth, take a couple of bucks and take a couple of dance lessons.
There's no shame in gaining pointers. Plus you may develop that dancer's gracefulness in your turns. From the footage, you performance & turns looked more like you were part of a comedy skit on some show than earnest dancing.
le_revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #146
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
Your footing was inconsistent- torn between a modern style of paralleling the insides of the feet and a more classical style of first position/heels together and toes apart. It seems that this threw you a couple of times in that your body was reacting to where you thought that your feet would be, and not where they were.

I loved your ability to go high-motion to static without the jerkiness that many less experienced dancers have. A master of this fast/slow/fast/fast/STOP almost robotic tic is Zoe Jakes:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NFXNZLsEVqw

I am not very familiar with the Kabuki style, so I cannot really comment on that, but I did like the more motionable bits where your hands and feet knew where they were. The second "burst" of speed seemed to lose that (it was a bad day, you said. We all have 'em. I have a video somewhere of tripping over some belt fringe and almost doign a face plant).

One part i don't get is why the showing of flexibility for its own sake? Suptavirasana (the layback over teh calves) was good, but I didn't understand why it was there.
At some points I admittedly forgot the routine so I had to improv anything at the time, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. The worst probably being the one resemblant of auto fellatio move..

It's also a purely technical solo, and we were advised by judges, if you can show something about you as a dancer, doesn't matter if it really fits in all that much, as long as it fits in some how, do it and get the points.

As soon as I lost my balance that was basically (when I view it) when I can see and could feel the performance going to crap.

Points I saw:
Clearly define the contemporary points and kauki points and keep pointing or flat accordingly
Don't let my knees rise up at the end when I lie back
Balance, on a good day I can hold that one legged stand and have the other leg up and fuly extended
Consistent flow of energy in phrases, I noticed I varied at times
That and my flow needs to be improved as my arm swing and fall to the ground was pathetic.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #147
MollyMac

The contemporary and kabuki don't need to be separate, but they need to be- as you said- more clearly defined as to what they are and where you are coming from and then work on blending them more seamlessly.

Your knees will stay down if your feet are flexed until the point your head hits the floor and then drop the flexation and let the tops of your feet rest. It will look smoother. In practice- wheneve ryou balance, lift your toes. It will help your body stabilise.

Cool- as to it being a technical solo. Some of the abruptness makes a little more sense in that light :P

But seriously, it was rough and a bad day, but there is a lot that I liked. I liked the alternating mood and speed. I liked your flexibility.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #148
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Well in it's not due for another 2 months I don't think so I have a lot of time to prepare.

But we've also got to start or Expressive intention solos and our Jungle comes to Life ensemble.

Thankyou for the compliments Molly ^_^
That being the first dance i've ever choreographed properly... well it's a confidence boost to say the least when people even enjoy parts of it.

But it's scary how when you're the dancing the music can pass so quickly and at other time it seems like each beat takes an eternity
Old 07-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #149
MollyMac

It's a solid effort for a first choreography, and you know what work you have to do. The rest is just technique and consistency. Do it until you do i tin your sleep.

No kidding about the music. I hate it when my nerves get the best of me and I rush a half-beat and then there is an awkward pause...

In competitive Highland Dance, if you mess up royally or displace a sword in Ghillie Callum (teh sword dance), you have to step back and stand. It's funny... most of our dances are less than three minutes long and people say they are short. Three minutes is a long ass time when you are jumping. Even so, it's a longer time to stand when you should be dancing.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:23 PM   #150
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I'd rather sword fall than stand there and feel humiliated...