Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:51 AM   #1
Nemesis

Aqua!

This are the guys that did that amzing song barbie girl! I know its corny but i love it, i just wondered if anybody liked it apart from moi
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:12 AM   #2
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santarea
I will admit to owning this CD. And digging it.

I don't like Barbie, girl, though. I prefer "Doctor Jones".... You may like Republica, also. Same vibe, less shame
wow..Im jelous, i never bought it i was too poor at the time, isnt republica the women that did that other song?
Old 01-15-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
Wise Child

I used to fuckin' LOVE Republica!! The soundtrack to my mid-teen years. *sniff* Good times.

I never owned the Aqua album, but my favourite single was Turn Back Time.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
pitseleh

No... No, no, NO! Are you guys serious?! This is the band that was responsible for making the late 90's here a living hell for anyone in the proximity of a radio. Who wrote some of the most annoying dance-pop songs since Ace of Base. Whose lead singer (from Norway) had the most creepily robo-childish voice ever, and still to this day haunts the tabloid media with her affairs and pointless musical projects. And you actually bought the album?

I like you Santarea, but you definitely have a sick and twisted side that scares me a wee bit...
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:24 AM   #5
Nemesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh
No... No, no, NO! Are you guys serious?! This is the band that was responsible for making the late 90's here a living hell for anyone in the proximity of a radio. Who wrote some of the most annoying dance-pop songs since Ace of Base. Whose lead singer (from Norway) had the most creepily robo-childish voice ever, and still to this day haunts the tabloid media with her affairs and pointless musical projects. And you actually bought the album?

I like you Santarea, but you definitely have a sick and twisted side that scares me a wee bit...
*Is mortally offended* They rock..the 90's was known for trashy pop take the vengaboys for instance now they were worse! Although i must confess to owning an album
Old 01-15-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
*Is mortally offended* They rock..the 90's was known for trashy pop take the vengaboys for instance now they were worse! Although i must confess to owning an album.
No, they don't "rock". There's nothing even remotely "rock" about Aqua. It's two Danish guys programming simple beats and sugar-coated rave synths tailored for maximum radio-friendliness and child-marketing potential, with a scantily clad "babe" to sing the songs through an Auto-tune machine. Nothing more than a brightly coloured marketing ploy that at most was funny to listened to ironically for two minutes at a party in 2002. No more!
Old 01-15-2006, 11:43 AM   #7
Nemesis

Quote:
No, they don't "rock". There's nothing even remotely "rock" about Aqua. It's two Danish guys programming simple beats and sugar-coated rave synths tailored for maximum radio-friendliness and child-marketing potential, with a scantily clad "babe" to sing the songs through an Auto-tune machine. Nothing more than a brightly coloured marketing ploy that at most was funny to listened to ironically for two minutes at a party in 2002. No more!
Thats why its good because its so corny...and you know that i meant rock as in good, jesus you'd have to be really stupid to classify them as rock
Old 01-15-2006, 11:52 AM   #8
pitseleh

Nemesis, I know you didn't mean "rock" as in the musical style... I just went off on a tangent.

Let's just say I'm one of those people who think humour and music generally don't mix, especially when the music is so garishly awful it makes my brain want to vomit.

That aside, Santarea, if there is a certain nostalgia associated with it, I understand your affinity for it a bit more.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:57 AM   #9
pitseleh

Edit! Simulpost! Confusion!

And yes, I love it, Santarea. Your sick and twisted side, that is.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:57 AM   #10
Nemesis

Quote:
Nemesis, I know you didn't mean "rock" as in the musical style... I just went off on a tangent.

Let's just say I'm one of those people who think humour and music generally don't mix, especially when the music is so garishly awful it makes my brain want to vomit.

That aside, Santarea, if there is a certain nostalgia associated with it, I understand your affinity for it a bit more.
yer i wasnt arguing that the band are really good or anything i just happen to like that one song
Old 01-15-2006, 09:12 PM   #11
Phayte

Rammstein made a cool version of Barbie Girl. It's the only way I'll listen to that song. I do like some Aqua. Same reasons as Santarea really. It reminds me of my last year in school, but art class mostly. Our teacher let us listen to the raido and we always fought over which station to listen to. Sadly, the "popular" girls usually won so we listened to Barbie Girl a lot.
~William Shakespeare
Phayte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:04 PM   #12
mortalitas incomitatus

hmmmm...one of my good friends in high school loved aqua.

she ended up in a mental institute for two years.

coincidence???

*another eliter*
mortalitas incomitatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:22 PM   #13
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortalitas incomitatus

she ended up in a mental institute for two years.

coincidence???
I think not..

*twitch*

One of my male ex-roomates, used to do a whole LOT of Meth and go on a manic cleaning frenzy with Barbie Girl on repeat at painful ear-bleeding decibels.

Oh the horror.
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:10 AM   #14
Natasshha

You mean AQUA TEAM from [ADULTSWIM].... ohhhh those guys are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.... hey they rock!!!....

Huuyyy you meant the Barbie girl, Imagination lalalalalalililelelyyyluuu, that one, yeah I know only that song, from waaay back!!!.

Anyways, AdultSwim is worth digging!, In cartoonNetwork from 11pm to 6 am M-THUR SAT-SUND yeah, watch it guys...

NATI
Natasshha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:06 PM   #15
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasshha
You mean AQUA TEAM from [ADULTSWIM].... ohhhh those guys are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.... hey they rock!!!....

Huuyyy you meant the Barbie girl, Imagination lalalalalalililelelyyyluuu, that one, yeah I know only that song, from waaay back!!!.

Anyways, AdultSwim is worth digging!, In cartoonNetwork from 11pm to 6 am M-THUR SAT-SUND yeah, watch it guys...

NATI
Also it's Aqua TEEN. Not team. I hate that show...it's weird, my friends talk about it and I laugh, but if I try watching it I won't even crack a smile.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:26 PM   #16
Metatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phayte
Rammstein made a cool version of Barbie Girl. It's the only way I'll listen to that song. I do like some Aqua. Same reasons as Santarea really. It reminds me of my last year in school, but art class mostly. Our teacher let us listen to the raido and we always fought over which station to listen to. Sadly, the "popular" girls usually won so we listened to Barbie Girl a lot.
Rammstein made a cover of Barbie Girl? How could I have ever missed that?
Old 01-19-2006, 11:47 AM   #17
Nemesis

I missed the raamstien version as wells, Ive got the ugly girl version cant remember who its by though
Old 01-19-2006, 12:32 PM   #18
angleangel_doom

I miss being a child in the 90s. *sigh*
Good times, good times.
angleangel_doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:39 PM   #19
Wise Child

Yeah. They don't make kids' TV like they used to. (Thundercats anyone? Captain Planet?) Or maybe they do, and it just seemed better when I was a kid...

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:13 PM   #20
Surgeon Méchant De Sang

Location: In some desolate wooded area with the rest of the trailer trash.
I usually adore music, and I'm pretty tolerant of most music that comes on the radio (although I believe that gangsta rap should be outlawed, personally), but that is the only song that I've ever heard that made me want to destroy any sound system that I found it playing on.
A one-time friend of mine really tested my patience when she bought that album. She played that damn song over and over and over, and it took everything I had in me not to rip that fucking CD out of her player, break it in two, and throw it out the damn window!

*shock and heavy sigh*
Surgeon Méchant De Sang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:57 PM   #21
JuliaGaltic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise Child
Yeah. They don't make kids' TV like they used to. (Thundercats anyone? Captain Planet?) Or maybe they do, and it just seemed better when I was a kid...
Thundercats! Yes! Nostalgia filled topic... no cartoons aren't what they used to be.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:38 PM   #22
Disfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phayte
That wasn't Rammstein.

http://herzeleid.com/en/faq/misc

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:42 PM   #23
Disfunction

It was actually just Aqua doing a German version of the song...

I like Aqua. I will never argue that they are quality, but I will not deny that I like Aqua.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:18 PM   #24
Phayte

Well, the version I heard didn't sound anything like Aqua. I don't know if it was ever officially released. I heard it about 4 years ago from a download off the net that gave me the wrong song. It was most definatly not Aqua.

Yes, I know Aqua also had a German version of the song, but they sound totally different. If you could listen to them both you would know.
~William Shakespeare
Phayte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:46 AM   #25
Death101

my one friend has a version of Barbie Girl in German - its quite funny sounding
Death101 is offline   Reply With Quote