Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 09-08-2011, 03:20 AM   #2976
Ben Lahnger

Are the self-lacing shoes Michael J. Fox wore in "Back to the Future" going to become a reality today? Is Nike actually going to bring such a product to market today? The thought almost makes me want to go *squeeeeee!* ... almost.

http://gizmodo.com/5838207/is-nike-f...ture/gallery/1

P.S. - even though this post has a link to Nike shoes, it is not a spambot post ... I promise! LOL!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:49 AM   #2977
Spooky Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
Are the self-lacing shoes Michael J. Fox wore in "Back to the Future" going to become a reality today?!
What about the self-drying jacket and the hoverboard?
Spooky Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #2978
Saya

Getting a new phone tomorrow, finally! Its an HTC Wildfire, I got it on the Virgin Supertab thing so I didn't have to sign a contract. Awesome sauce.

Also this was technically yesterday, but I spent like three hours on the phone yesterday with a cousin I haven't really spoken to in years. Like we chat sometimes on facebook, but we had a really good conversation about shit that went on in the family years ago that I never got the whole story on, and new shit that has been happening. She's getting married next summer and really wants me to go (she lives in Ontario), and I already said I'd try but now I'm really looking forward to it.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #2979
Solumina

I took my friend Caity (who recently had her first serious relationship come to an end, so I wanted to cheer her up) out on a platonic date. We ended up having a great time (we always do) and really reconnecting, which was nice as her boyfriend had really been taking up a lot of her free time and I don't think I've seen or spoken to her, other than on facebook, in well over a month.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #2980
Kasdeja

I got to visit a friend of mine who I haven't seen in about a month... had lunch and went back to her place to catch up.
Kasdeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:16 AM   #2981
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Getting a new phone tomorrow, finally! Its an HTC Wildfire, I got it on the Virgin Supertab thing so I didn't have to sign a contract. Awesome sauce.
Reviews say the Wildfire is an affordable but decently featured Android phone. Congratulations Saya, I'm excited for you! I like my HTC Droid Incredible phone a lot!

Once you get a gmail address working on it and you can access the marketplace on it, here are a few free apps you might look into:

Go get two alternative browsers that work better than the native web browser: "Opera Mini" is small, sleek and fast ... and for webpages with heavy flash or detailed content that you want to see in their fullest, get the "Dolphin HD Browser". If you find any pages where other browsers won't let you interact with forms or buttons, for instance, Dolphin HD should do the trick. But Opera Mini is SOOOOOO much faster!

"Adao File Manager" is a much better file browsing app than what comes on the phone, and provides a lot of functions (like bulk delete) that the native app doesn't provide. "Business Calendar Free" is a much better calendar than what the phone comes with.

"Texts From Last Night" and "DYAC" (Damn You AutoCorrect) are always good for a laugh. "Douglas Adams Quotes" is by turns funny and wise.

"Where" is a great all-in-one search and information tool, but I don't know if it will work where you are in Canada ... but it's worth a look. I love demonstrating that one to customers: I open it, click on the microphone and speak a place name like "Quiznos" and it quickly pulls up a list of nearby Quiznos restaurants, including the one right across the street. Then I show how you can go right from that screen to turn-by-turn navigation via "Google Maps" by just clicking on one link.

"Backgrounds" gives you literally thousands of wallpapers to pick from, and since the live wallpapers eat up battery life, I'd recommend you go with a stationary wallpaper for day-to-day use.

"Advanced Task Killer" and "Lookout" mobile security are good system maintenance tools.

If you use "Netflix", there's an app that will let you watch it on your phone, but it is a battery hog. "IMDB" and "Tomato Ratings" help you pick what to watch. "eHow" helps you figure out how to do just about anything else.

"Photoshop Express", "AnDrawing" and "PicsIn" are good graphic and phote manipulation tools. I use all three for different tasks. "Songbird" is the best music player I've found, and you can stream music with "iheartradio", "Pandora" or "Slacker". Amazon's "Kindle" is as good a book reader as you will find, and Amazon offers plenty of free classic novels for download!

And finally, the games: Everyone goes on and on about Angry Birds, and it's definitely an infectious little time waster, but I prefer "Stupid Zombies". It's the same kind of game, except instead of launching birds at pigs with a slingshot, you're shooting zombies with a rifle. And they make a very satisfying "Errrrrrrrrrrrr" groan when they collapse!

Other games worth note are "Age of Zombies", "Gurk", "pirates 1", "Play! Curling" (don't laugh, I find it a very engaging solitaire game!), "Replica Island", "Scene It? Daily" for your pop culture trivia, "TriviaBurst" and "Words With Friends Free" which lets you play a turn-based scrabble-like word game with anyone else in the world who has the app.

Have fun!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 09-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #2982
honeythorn

BABY CHERRY SHRIMP!

My cherries have finally produced offspring and they're SO SWEET! They're also really tiny at the moment so I can't even take a picture of them. They're about... 4 mm long approximately. I have no idea how many there are, I counted six but it could be fifty something for all I know. The tank has a branch covered with a pile of Java moss, and the majority will most likely be hiding in there where I can't see them.

ALSO, I have 6 new fish ! ^_^ Hi-fin Platys, 5 of which appear to be male, and one female who will no doubt end up sexually harassed somewhat. There are two coconut caves in the tank though so she can hide from their amorous attentions. Plus I won't get overrun with babies as my angelfish will snack on any it can catch quite happily.

I can avoid too much inbreeding by swapping any surviving babies with my aunt, who also has Platys
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #2983
Grausamkeit

What hasn't made my day today?

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #2984
Ami

A spur of the moment movie and take out night with some friends, which turned out to be pretty awesome
Ami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #2985
honeythorn

I'm halfway through making a sheep horn head-dress. I'm VERY pleased with it so far.

The horns are on, the mulberry paper holly and Ivy leaves are on across the front , there are pearl wire strands sticking off it, rabbit fur round the horn bases, and white pigeon feathers covering the space between the horns to make a sort of flat pointed crest to go over the top of my head.

It's a little heavy, so I want to affix pearl or chain strands to a nice hairclip, so that I can pile my hair up and clip it there, while keeping the whole thing stable-ish on my head.

I may buy one of those fake hair ponytail/hair twist things to give the whole look some oomph as my hair is really fine and flat. A big head-dress needs big hair!
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #2986
Kasdeja

Finding out a good friend of mine has a job interview Monday. Also, the ignore function.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #2987
carakitty

Pampering myself (hair cut + goodies from LUSH) and giggles with my girl has made my day. Fishnet stockings and a long black velvet skirt was icing on the cake!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #2988
Ben Lahnger

How does Bill Murray REALLY feel about Dan Aykroyd's plans to go ahead with Ghostbusters 3?

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 09-13-2011, 03:19 AM   #2989
Ben Lahnger

I present for you the magic and bizarre wonder that is:

"Slice of Life"

If you like stop-motion animation, this is a treat. I wonder if I've missed other visual puns like where he lives?

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 09-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #2990
Beowulf

Having a good pratice session on my guitar and generally rocking out, and making alot of noise !!!.

Also finding a TON poster for a friend who will be very chuffed once its scanned and sent to them !!!.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #2991
Kasdeja

Got a new camera today that actually works! The one I got yesterday didn't, so I had to exchange it at the store. We tried it out before I left, so I knew it'd work for me.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #2992
Apathy's_Child

Kicking ass in a my new job-that's-actually-a-real-job. That drop-out shit started getting old when I realized I could no longer afford to fund the accompanying drinking habit. Still working on getting back to school at some point, but I actually have money, I can do nice shit for my girlfriend without planning months ahead, and fuck it - this is all right.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #2993
Grausamkeit

Awesome news, Apathy! I'll raise a glass of Crown to you tonight.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #2994
Apathy's_Child

Thanks dude, I'll be clinking ya.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #2995
MissCheyenne

Had the nurse out this morning and she's sorting out some home help for me as well as various medications and equipment that will help make Mum a bit more comfortable. This counts as a good day.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #2996
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
Thanks dude, I'll be clinking ya.
Fantastic!

Did you happen to read this?

MissC, that is fabulous!

Old 09-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #2997
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
Did you happen to read this?
I did not - I tend to come & go. It's cool though, I don't do grudges and tend to go on a thread by thread basis, because I know as well as anyone here how easy it is to be a dick online if you're having a bad day. It's that whole being separated from the hurt puppy eyes, y'know?

Thanks for the truce though. Unecessary from my end given that you seem like a good sort in your recent posts, but still, I dig people who don't think they're too big for the occasional Mea Culpa. Let's TOTALLY never fight again.

MC - glad to hear that doll. You're a fucking kick-ass daughter. Keep your head up, and PM if you need to talk or vent.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #2998
JCC

I'm listening to 'Alice', haven't spun this album for a while. It makes me want to drink heavily though, so my lack of drink is a subsequent moan
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #2999
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
I'm listening to 'Alice', haven't spun this album for a while. It makes me want to drink heavily though, so my lack of drink is a subsequent moan
I've found music a big barrier to geting sober due to the associations. Really not tryna talk down or anything - you're a lot smarter than I was at your age - but be careful with that.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #3000
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
I did not - I tend to come & go. It's cool though, I don't do grudges and tend to go on a thread by thread basis, because I know as well as anyone here how easy it is to be a dick online if you're having a bad day. It's that whole being separated from the hurt puppy eyes, y'know?

Thanks for the truce though. Unecessary from my end given that you seem like a good sort in your recent posts, but still, I dig people who don't think they're too big for the occasional Mea Culpa. Let's TOTALLY never fight again.

MC - glad to hear that doll. You're a fucking kick-ass daughter. Keep your head up, and PM if you need to talk or vent.
Drinking is much better than fighting! Let's get drunk and troll teh stoopidz?