Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

View Poll Results: Goths wear black because:
They feel no need to express emotion through fashion 70 12.94%
Black is how they feel inside 114 21.07%
It looks smart, and suits the night time. 113 20.89%
Black being dominant, Goths are trying to dominate! 31 5.73%
other (please state) 213 39.37%
Voters: 541. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2006, 09:32 AM   #601
Aerynna

Black looks good with everything. That's why I chose black over other colors. Black makes me feel exotic and powerful.
Aerynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:56 AM   #602
Diana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klixin
does anyone else find that the more black they wear, the more 'protected' they feel?

absolutely
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:09 AM   #603
Kiinu

Goths wear black because goths are klutz's... At least this one is... I can have an all black shirt on with a tiny white design... guess which part of the shirt I'll spill kool-ade on?

And beacause It looks so damn good with pale skin and blond hair!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...i/HPIM0029.jpg
Kiinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 08:18 AM   #604
deathbycandlelight

I wear black because its a harsh colour, i'm naturally pale and therefore it looks striking, btu similarly i am a huge fan of purple and red too. I lvoe combining those with black. It gives me confidence wearing stong colours, can't explan why but i feel less self concious when i wear it.
deathbycandlelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:52 PM   #605
deathbecomesme

I chose "They feel no need to express emotion through fashion" Becuase that kinda me, i wear black because i don't really feel the need to express my self by wearing gay pink and blue or what ever clothing.
deathbecomesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:25 AM   #606
kitten

I chose other.I wear black because its my favorite color! but its not the ONLY color I wear. I wear reds and blues and purples, mostly paird with black though. I also think it also has to do with how i feel. Iv been through shit and I just feel like wearing black expresses my feelings somwhat, if that makes sence, lol.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:33 AM   #607
DarkHeartedDemoness

Why do I wear black? Look at Donna Karan. She made a fashion empire out of basic black. That's her signature. Look at Audrey Hepburn. Classic beauty, regularly wearing all black. I don't wear it because I'm dark and spooky or want to be "different", I wear it because it's simple, classic, elegant.

And much like kitten, I don't wear it all the time. I wear it often, because I like it, but I wouldn't ever wear one color exclusively. Not even black.

Think about that, though... I mean, how weird would it be to wear any color (other than black) exclusively? Imagine someone wearing all purple, all the time. You'd think they're in a cult. So I guess that is another merit of black-- it's spooky, but rarely creepy.
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #608
kitten

i know a guy thats a cyber-goth dud and he wears all lime green, lol. I have to like not laugh when I see him. Hes my friend though so i cant be mean.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:16 PM   #609
She_Is_My_Sin

I don't look good in other shades. Pink makes me look like a piggy, red highlights the blotches on my skin & white makes me look tubby.

I put black on & it just feels right.

I actually own very few colored clothes (with the exception of knickers, I like my brightly colored underwear for some unknown reason) with only one piece of outwear that isn't black.

It's grey.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #610
kitten

i love colored underwear too! its a surprise for my boyfriend, I come in wearing all black, and underneath, its YELLOW! (or somthing)
Old 10-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #611
She_Is_My_Sin

Meh I think it's fine because no-one else will see it. I have some lovely baby blue panties with Snow White on, it's such a contrast to what's on over it
Old 10-01-2006, 02:40 PM   #612
kitten

lol! i just bought this like bright pink thong with a fairy, lol. you can find some really cute stuff.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:42 PM   #613
She_Is_My_Sin

I just think it's funny. Mysterious black over the top. Underwear with flowers & bright colors underneath.

Tee hee
Old 10-01-2006, 02:50 PM   #614
kitten

lol, just think, they do a strip search on us. its like...black....black...black....some more black....PINK!!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 07:18 AM   #615
acid_wish

It's easier to screw with people's minds when they do the laundry.

Little Old Lady at Laundromat: "Oh dear, could have sworn this was a white wash... *gasp* a gothic black sock!! NOOOOOOOOO!!"

hehehe... nah, black's a classic and always will be, there are just too many reasons why people; and in particular goths, wear it.

For me however, black is a kind of camoflage and a portrait of my inner self. As a kid I was always picked on whichever school I went to so it's become a symbol of both being hidden as a form of protection, and a kind of armour in it's own right. Not that my romantic side doesn't ever come in to play! *Dreams of Byronic love* heh I like the mystery.
acid_wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #616
LiUsAiDh

i wear black because it suits me, i normally wear emo clothes with tons of bright colours in so i dont think all goths have to wear black, people look at me cause im different which is cool. I think "goth" is inside you not what you wear, i know lots of people who arent goths and they wear black, i look most gothic in white anyway or red too i suppose.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #617
kitten

I think its a little hard to be goth and not wear black. Its just what goths do. Its who we are. and what we wear. its always been like that. we have no reason to change it. I mean,it goths all of a sudden strted wearing yellow...it just wouldnt be goth anymore. we wear black because we are goths. there are so many good reasons to wear it.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:07 PM   #618
X-Rose-Of-Your-Promise-X

I wear black because 1. I feel comfy in it, I dont like wearing bright clothes, i feel awkward and exposed in it. wearing black makes me feel comfortable and snuggly and homely lol. 2. it suits me and doesnt make you look fat and 3. most of the clothes i like are black.
X-Rose-Of-Your-Promise-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:10 PM   #619
Ainadu

Black is in itself an absence of light. This creates a lovely sense of contrast.
To me, it symbolizes a part of the struggle between order and chaos, joy and pain.
It is not something that should be put on in an attempt to be different, for I believe that all of us have a place in our heart for the shadows of night.

Black is an enigma, something we cannot fully understand, for it does not actually exist. As children we are taught that it is a color, yet this is not true. It is a void, a nothing, something that we can describe but fail to contain.

This discord fascinates me, and therefore I choose to incorporate it into my wardrobe because it is a reminder of something simple and pleasant which provokes thought.
Ainadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 07:17 PM   #620
Godslayer Jillian

I'm extremely skeptic that you could think so deeply about a color before beginning to wear that certain color because of its significance.
But if indeed this is true, you're alone in such a manner of thought.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:39 AM   #621
DarkHeartedDemoness

Jillian, I tend to disagree. Many of the people that belong to our subculture thought about it ahead of time. Since one of the main things known about the Gothic subculture is the propensity toward wearing black, I can't imagine that the people who considered "dressing the part" before doing so didn't think about it.

If I've misunderstood your post, I apologize.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:24 PM   #622
Ainadu

Quote:
I'm extremely skeptic that you could think so deeply about a color before beginning to wear that certain color because of its significance.
But if indeed this is true, you're alone in such a manner of thought.
I did not intend to sound pretentious, but only sought to state a few underlying reasons for my decision to wear black so often.

For better or worse I possess an overactive imagination, and rarely look at anything without having thoughts about it. Perhaps you are correct in the assumption that I'm alone in this, but I continue to believe that there must be someone who shares my opinion.
Ainadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:04 AM   #623
kitten

black is pretty.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:30 PM   #624
we_are_138

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten
black is pretty.
and hot

and it says i have to have more characters to post so i'm typing more characters
we_are_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:13 AM   #625
VampiricYouth

The original batcavers wore black to rebel against the Disco/Funk culture which was the main opposition to Punk in the late 70s/early 80s.
VampiricYouth is offline   Reply With Quote