Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
chelseagirl

Vampire books-that AREN'T stupid romance novels

Can anyone recommend any good vampire books that are not stupid, smutty, romance crap that's aimed at female readers? Something like Bottomfeeder is what I'm looking for. Anyone?

And please, don't anyone post anything about Twilight in here.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
Pineapple_Juice

There are these books called Twilight....

NO but seriously, the only vampire books I've read are the ones by Mary-Janice Dickinson. From looking at the cover and from reading the backs of the books I thought they were going to be horribly idiotic. I laughed my ass off through both of the ones I got. The first two are called Undead and Unwed and Undead and Unemployed.
Dunno if you were looking for serious stuff, but they're not really trashy.
Pineapple_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:24 AM   #3
Albert Mond

Dracula.
only******sneedtenletters
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
isobel black

Other than a spot of Anne Rice and a few short stories by Poppy Z. Brite I've only read the classics, with the exception of Carmilla none of them are really very good , but I have a soft spot for them anyway.

I would definitely recommend Carmilla.

Dracula is mediocre, Polidori's The Vampire quite poor, but both are entertaining and have been pretty influential.

Varney the Vampire is terrible but hilarious.
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Man In Room 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl
Can anyone recommend any good vampire books that are not stupid, smutty, romance crap that's aimed at female readers?

There aren't any.
Seriously.

The whole point of vampire novels is that they embrace a dark sexuality that certain types of women can only embrace when depicted in metaphor....the type that are afraid or unsure of their own sexuality....which means they appeal most to women of the Victorian era and pubescent girls of today. If women were treated as equals, if their sexual desires didn't make them sluts or whores in the minds of hypocritical men, and if puberty wasn't so scary, the vampire genre would totally vanish from literature.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
Mealla

Actually, Poppy Z. Brite wrote a very creepy full-length vampire novel called Lost Souls. Does have some sex in it, but definitely not romance in any sense of the word. Also, most of the people I know who like it are male. She also wrote several good vampire short stories as isobel mentioned. "His Mouth Will Taste of Wormwood" in particular is one of my favorites. Her Wormwood short story collection contains both that one as well as several other creepy stories, including a really good zombie one, "Calcutta, Lord of Nerves."

Poppy Z. is the main author of vampire stuff I really like though. Werewolves are more my specialty. Could give you pages of recommendations if you were looking for werewolf stuff.

If you don't want romance, STAY AWAY from the Dead Till Dark series by Charlaine Harris. The story/plot is somewhat interesting and they even made that True Blood series based off of it, but the series is more murder mystery than horror, with some noticeable smut/romance elements.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
PortraitOfSanity

Well, if you can stand a little High Fantasy nerdiness, there's a good vampire series written for the Warhammer universe. I don't remember the author, but the series is called "Genevieve" I believe.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:44 AM   #8
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5
There aren't any.
Seriously.

The whole point of vampire novels is that they embrace a dark sexuality that certain types of women can only embrace when depicted in metaphor....the type that are afraid or unsure of their own sexuality....which means they appeal most to women of the Victorian era and pubescent girls of today. If women were treated as equals, if their sexual desires didn't make them sluts or whores in the minds of hypocritical men, and if puberty wasn't so scary, the vampire genre would totally vanish from literature.
Glad someone else said it.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:41 AM   #9
Pineapple_Juice

I just looked at my post and realized I said Dickinson when I meant Davidson.

I went to read Poppy once, skipped to the middle to get a feel for a page or two and I hated it.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:47 AM   #10
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mealla
Poppy Z. is the main author of vampire stuff I really like though. Werewolves are more my specialty. Could give you pages of recommendations if you were looking for werewolf stuff.
A lot of people think vampires are Goth, but werewolves are way more Goth. I bet werewolves even shred their clothes on instinct. That's DIY genius, right there.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:51 AM   #11
Pineapple_Juice

Too right, only doing things by moonlight, turning into savage bloodthirsty beasts when the sub goes down, eating people.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:56 AM   #12
Man In Room 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
A lot of people think vampires are Goth, but werewolves are way more Goth. I bet werewolves even shred their clothes on instinct. That's DIY genius, right there.
But body hair is so not goth.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #13
Pineapple_Juice

^ You make such a good point.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #14
Mealla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5
But body hair is so not goth.
There is a difference between fur and body hair, and according to some legends the affected person didn't physically transform. In some, the werewolf was much more spirit or possession-based.

Another vampire book you might look into is Let the Right One In by John Lindqvist. It's the one the movie of the same name was based on, and from what I hear it's much more horror-oriented. Haven't gotten around to reading it yet (didn't find out till after seeing the film that it was based on a book), but if the film even resembles the book in any way, then it's probably the sort of vampire book you're looking for.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #15
αρнσтι¢ єι∂σℓση

Unfortunately, the books I've read were all disgustingly romantic. Like, The last vampire trilogy, The vampire diaries.
Of course you can always read Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.
αρнσтι¢ єι∂σℓση is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #16
Detarra

Have you tried Charlie Huston's novels?
*Already Dead
*No Dominion
*Half the Blood of Brooklyn
*Every Last Drop
*My Dead Body

Or tried going to Vampire Library? The entire site is dedicated to vampire novels.
Detarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #17
voodoowitchdr

Yeah, vampire related stuff is supose to be romantic or seductive. It all goes back to the Incubis and Sucubus...

By the way, anybody ever watch TrueBlood. I read one of the books that is is based on and had to watch the series when I recognized some of the characters. Now I HAVE to watch it every weekend. Still a proud member of the Twilight resistence though.
voodoowitchdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #18
erotomaniac87

How about "Salem's Lot" and the short story "The Night Flyer," by Stephen King?
Old 08-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #19
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by erotomaniac87 View Post
How about "Salem's Lot" and the short story "The Night Flyer," by Stephen King?
Night Flyer is also one of my most favourite horribly hilarious movies.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #20
erotomaniac87

I saw that movie a long, long time ago. You made me want to see it again. The short story should be better, though.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:16 AM   #21
Pineapple_Juice

I'm gonna go ahead and once again tell you to read Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson. It's crazy hilarious.

Allow me to type up an excerpt:

Ch. 15

"My master will-"
"Shut the fuck up."
"You cannot speak to-"
"Shut the fuck up."
She leaned forward and her eyes went the color of the sky right before sunset. "You don't wish to fight with me...Betsy."

Ooh, eyes that change color when she's in a snit. Now I was really scared. "You bet I do, Tootsie Roll. Bring it, you cow! Let's see how you do when you're not hiding behind one of my friends."
I must have sounded almost as angry as I felt, because she hesitated. Then she crossed her arms over her chest, doing an admirable impression of someone who hadn't been momentarily frightened, sat back, and stared out the limo's window.

Yep, I was back in one of Noseo's limos. It had been waiting at the mouth of the alley like a big black gas-guzzling omen of death. I snapped the antenna off, just for fun, and threw it at Tootsie Roll's head. She ducked-barely. The driver didn't say a word, just held the door for me.

"I am Shanara."
"Shut the fuck up." I fumbled with my pocket-stupid linen trousers, they were going to wrinkle like hell-and tossed her a five dollar bill. "And go buy yourself a real name."

She let the bill bounce off her nonexistent chest, unfolded her arms, and started tapping her long red fingernails on the armrest. She was starting to get pretty pissed but, interestingly, wasn't doing anything. Did Nostril's edict give her permission to hurt my friends, but not me?

Time to find out. "Long red slut nails are so five minutes ago," I informed her. "In fact, it's more like five years ago. Just because you're dead doesn't mean you have to be a fashion eyesore."
"UNdead," she snapped.
"Dead," I said implacably. "When was the last time you had a nice steak? Or even a salad? Shit, a piece of toast? Dead people don't eat. We don't eat. Ergo, we are dead."

"We have more power than mere mortals can-"
"Blah blah blah, save it for the recruitment center. So, when did you die? You don't look a day over sixty."

Her flat bosom heaved in indignation. "I became gloriously transformed in 1972."
"That explains the nails and the bell bottoms."
"These are in again!" she nearly screamed, pointing to her Gap knockoffs.

"Nope, sorry. I know, I know, it can be hard to keep up. Most people aren't smart enough to pull it off." From the front I could hear a curiously muffled sound, almost like someone was strangling on their own laughter.

Shaloser turned, and, quick as thought, slammed her palm against the partition separating us from the driver. The glass cracked but didn't break. "Just drive, oaf!"

"Touchy," I commented. "By the way, Shamu, if you ever touch one of my friends again I'll bite off all your fingers and stick them up your nose." I smiled pleasantly. "And that goes for ol' Nostril, too."

I was all talk, of course...shit, I was a secretary, not an avenger. An out-of-work secretary, I might add. I could type like a son of a bitch. But I'd never thrown a punch.
But I could talk. I could yak until Judgment Day, if I had to.

"You'll pay," she said stonily. "You won't be like this tomorrow."
"Bored and pissed off? God I hope not."

She flinched like I'd poked a fork toward one of her eyes. Odd, very odd. I quickly thought about what I'd just said: bored? Pissed? God?

"God," I said. Another flinch. "Jesus Christ. Lord. 'Our Father, who art in Heaven...' "
"Stop it, stop it!" She was practically climbing the door, trying to get away from me. "Don't say it, don't say Those Words!"

"Stop talking in capital letters and I won't."
"What? I don't understand you."
"No one with your footwear," I said with a meaningful glance at her Prada knockoffs," ever could."
Old 08-23-2009, 08:54 PM   #22
vae victus

check out A Matter of Taste by Fred Saberhagen
vae victus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #23
Ophelia's Snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and once again tell you to read Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson. It's crazy hilarious.

Allow me to type up an excerpt:

Ch. 15
tl;dr

No, seriously, I think I'd enjoy that. It's got a bit of a campy film noir approach - yes?
Ophelia's Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #24
Ophelia's Snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by αρнσтι¢ єι∂σℓση View Post
Unfortunately, the books I've read were all disgustingly romantic. Like, The last vampire trilogy, The vampire diaries.
Of course you can always read Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.
Yes, but you can never unread them.

Okay, The Vampire Lestat and Interview were pretty good, but I can't forgive her for that latest and proclaimed "last" abomination, Blood Canticle. Just goes to show, no one's ever too well-loved or famous to publish without an editor.
Ophelia's Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:36 AM   #25
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia's Snorkel View Post
tl;dr

No, seriously, I think I'd enjoy that. It's got a bit of a campy film noir approach - yes?
Yeah, as well as grossly underappreciated humorous dialogue and a startling array of designer footwear. Do it. You won't regret it.