Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
Graveyard.Crow

wtf

So I've been dying my hair black for a while then stopped, went red again then went back to black. Only now whenever I wash my hair with shampoo the dye starts running blue and fading very fast. Why is my hair rejecting simple black dye all of a sudden?
Old 09-18-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
thedoll

I dont know, that happened to me too. It was black then faded to brown. I used color protection shampoo so it wouldnt happen and still... *sad*

Did you bleach it before hand? That can eat through dye often...

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:58 AM   #3
Lucretia_my_Reflection

And if the last dye did not completely wash out before that one the same thing can happen. Mine did the same was sad because i brought really expensive dye :{
Lucretia_my_Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:15 AM   #4
TopHaggardDoll

You could try a different brand.

If you used bleach it might be because your hair has become more porous.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:34 AM   #5
chelseagirl

Yeah, maybe try a different brand of dye? Also, what brand shampoo are you using now? Certain shampoos really strip black dye out...Head and Shoulders is REALLY bad for that.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:25 AM   #6
Necropolis

GC, what brand of dye are you using? Let me just tell you, I used to dye my hair black with Nice and Easy and then let it go back to my natural color. I have been growing my hair out SIX YEARS and the black part (I have like 1/2 an inch left) is still as black as the day I dyed it.

That scares the shit out of me. Like what the HELL is in that dye to make it last so damn long?
Necropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #7
LadyLucretia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow
So I've been dying my hair black for a while then stopped, went red again then went back to black. Only now whenever I wash my hair with shampoo the dye starts running blue and fading very fast. Why is my hair rejecting simple black dye all of a sudden?
Your hair texture has probably changed from all the dying. It's not holding dye the same as a result.
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
kwaniesiam

I agree with lady lucretia. Whenever you color your hair, it strips the cuticle off to allow the pigmentation to deposit. As you continue to do this, more and more cuticle is damaged to allow the color to show up. This also works against you, because with chemically damaged hair, the color will not last as long either. Color protecting shampoos are usually made up mostly of silicones to coat the hair and help keep the dye pigment on the hairshaft to allow the color to last longer, but can also lock moisture out further damaging your hair. Clarifying weekly will also help. You can do this with a simple clarifying shampoo or water mixed with baking soda to make a light paste, then conditioning afterwards.

To help keep your color, try shampooing less often, do a few deep moisture treatments on your hair, and when you do color, only color the roots, then pull the dye through the length for only 10 minutes or so just to refresh the color.

I haven't used chemical dyes in a few years, I henna now, but I hope this helps
kwaniesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:57 PM   #9
Graveyard.Crow

I use crappy hair dye as far as my friend told me. I know that nice and easy is the BEST stuff to stay in BUT it also damages it the most. Then again, that stuff HONESTLY never washes out so maybe I might end up dying it less and it will be better as a result. Heh
Thanks
Old 09-19-2007, 04:01 PM   #10
kwaniesiam

Just try whatever works for you, and if you do get sick of the color, there is a product called "Colorfix" available at Sally Beauty Supply. I used it to remove many layers of built up black chemicals and it lightened it to a brassy orange without the damage of bleach (and it worked much better, I must say) and I was able to color over it immediately after.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:30 PM   #11
Graveyard.Crow

I shall do that. Right now I honestly want to keep the color IN. When it fades it kinda (just in some parts) goes back to the red underneath while other parts just stay bright black.
My friend said the nice and easy with color seal thing murders your hair as much as bleach. I used it ONES and well that's not enough to be able to tell if that's true. But if anyone knows tell me. That stuff really does stay in your hair though, even though I was dying over bleached hair.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:47 PM   #12
ForgetThisLostLenore

I don't know if it's any better or cheaper, but I used a color removal thing from wal-mart. It removed the hair color, which was pretty vivid red from the purple it was. Just don't dye it blonde. It'll turn strawberry blonde.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:27 PM   #13
kwaniesiam

Oh the color seal is murder! My gram dyes her hair like a fiend and its a different color every week I swear. She even says don't use it. What brands have you tried and liked? I was a big fan of Garnier blue-black when I was dying my hair. I've heard that L'Oreal makes a good black color, but I've never tried it personally.

Another tip to help keep dark hair...mix up some cheap conditioner (V05, suave, ect) with molasses and/or some clear aloe gel and slap it on, leaving it for about an hour. It's a great post-treatment deep conditioner to help moisturize, but not fade all the color right out.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:56 PM   #14
Graveyard.Crow

The black colors are all the same to me. I just want a color that gets into my hair. So the nice and easy brand only comes with the little color seal tube or do they have stuff that doesn't have it?
Old 09-20-2007, 05:34 AM   #15
Necropolis

Yeah, it comes with "color seal technology". You get the dye, developer and the conditioner. I love that conditioner; it makes your hair soft.

I've been using Nice and Easy for years and my hair is very healthy. When I was using a shade of brown N&E, I DID have trouble with it staying in though. It seemed my hair wanted to fade rather quickly. I was trying to put it over walnut henna that had wahed out to a shade of orange brassiness (which you're definitely not suppossed to do).

At any rate, the level of peroxide in box dye is so high and metallic dye like box it's suppossed to be really bad for your hair.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:57 PM   #16
Graveyard.Crow

Umm...so is that a yes or a no on the hair dye? have you tried their black one?
Old 09-21-2007, 07:09 AM   #17
Necropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow
Umm...so is that a yes or a no on the hair dye? have you tried their black one?
As for your original question, I have used a few different N&E boxes; I'm not sure what you mean by the color seal tube coming with it. All the boxes have the dye, developer, and the conditioner (that does say "color seal technology" on it).

And yes, I used to use the black one because it actually stayed put. As I said earlier, I have been growing it out for 6 years and the very bottom of my hair (like a centimeter left), is just as black as it was when I used to dye it black six years ago.

Someone else pointed out that your hair may be having trouble absorbing the color because of the red. Red dye has some of the highest peroxide level. My colorist is always running her mouth about that stuff (how peroxide and box dyes do this and that), but to be honest I haven't really retained the info. I'm kind of coming from the "Lady, I don't care; this is your problem now" type of stance when it oomes to my hair which is being color corrected from this walnut henna and then dark brown hair dye fading to orange blah blah blah.

You might want to have someone do a color corrector on your hair, which "fills in" the cuticle, and THEN dye over it. I'm so sorry for the novel here.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #18
Graveyard.Crow

No it's ok, detail is good. It probably IS the red... You said your hair stayed black after that many years and that's enough for me. I'll just use that stuff next time I need to dye my hair and be done with it.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:23 PM   #19
KontanKarite

If the red hasn't gotten out of the pores, what is there for the black to settle in?

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:13 PM   #20
Graveyard.Crow

Don't discourage me. I've colored my hair over red before. So I guess there is something for it to settle into.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:47 AM   #21
Necropolis

I wasn't coloring over red, so I'm not sure what will happen with yours. Post here after you've finished and let us know how it went. If it's still going strong after around 6 washes, you're probably home free.

Actually, I was dying my hair Feria Chocolate Cherry (that burgundy color) for a few months. It's definitely got red in it. I got sick of it fading after 2 weeks so i went back to black and it was perfect - no fading or anything.

This photo is probably 7 years old, for reference:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...01jpg.orig.jpg
Old 09-24-2007, 07:20 PM   #22
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necropolis
I wasn't coloring over red, so I'm not sure what will happen with yours. Post here after you've finished and let us know how it went. If it's still going strong after around 6 washes, you're probably home free.

Actually, I was dying my hair Feria Chocolate Cherry (that burgundy color) for a few months. It's definitely got red in it. I got sick of it fading after 2 weeks so i went back to black and it was perfect - no fading or anything.

This photo is probably 7 years old, for reference:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...01jpg.orig.jpg
Awe
Hehe you look cute though it's hard to see
Well then, nice and easy is my new dye oops hair paint...pigment...whatever hair dresses like better.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:15 PM   #23
kawaii

I usually dye my hair purple, but then probably a week later after continous washes it washed out and went to an ugly blonde. I'm blonde, it doesn't look to good on me and this looked worse!

I've been dying my hair purple for about two years now, and I've had no problems, I've been have the same thing you have.
kawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:15 PM   #24
Graveyard.Crow

Heh. Well, that's nice.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:51 AM   #25
crucifix

it is probably because your hair is so damaged. Mine is so damaged that permanents bleed out in a few weeks totally and demi and semi permanents actually don't take AT ALL on the damaged parts.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote