Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
Redex

Tripp and other Gothic clothing brands?

The reason I'm doing this is because I'm tired of wearing Hollister and American Eagle and want to try something different. I've always been drawn to Gothic fashion and now I want to take the plunge. Where should I start? I've been observing brands like Tripp and Lip Service.

This may or may nor be relevant but I'm a 6 feet 2 inches male with a 32 inch waste. Usually I where a large shirt. Shoes size is a 12 us.

1. Can I get Tripp like pants without the huge leg openings (I feel like I would be tripping over them a lot).

2. Are Tripp pants easier to walk in than I imagine?

3. Is hot topic my only option or are there other stores that carry Gothic style clothing?

4. Should I get shoes or boots and what kind?

5 I'm prone to wear a backwards baseball cap. Would this work with a Goth Style outfit? If not what style of hat should I get if any?

6. Are piercings/tattoos really necessary?

7. What accessories should I get? (necklace/collar/arm bands/etc.)

8. Any other tips on shirt/pants/shoes/hat/accessories/etc?

9. What am I forgetting???

10. Thank you very much for helping me break my addiction to the main stream!!!

11. I am not looking for an emo look! I very much despise everything emo. The music, the sadness, the art style.

12. Since you might recommended bands I will share mine.

Nine Inch Nails
KMFDM,
Combichrist
Zombie Girl
Rob Zombie
Modulate
Slipknot
Skinny Puppy
and many more...

(To the people who recommend Fall Out Boy: I might like them if they could Sing, play instruments, put on a decent show, not cry every time a girl dumps them etc...)

I appreciate the skinny jeans idea but aren't they uncomfortable? Maybe I'll warm up to them but for right now normal to baggy pants is what I'm going for.
Redex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
gothicusmaximus

The most cost effective and PUNK ROCK way to develop an impressive goth wardrobe is to modify clothes yourself. I believe the fashion forum contains several DIY threads from which you might be able to mine ideas.
Should you opt to try out the "I just rolled off a goffik conveyor belt" look, I will warn you that Tripp pants are aptly named, as you will experience difficulty walking while wearing them. I think pants with thinner legs are manufactured by that brand, but any you could find would probably be more expensive and of poorer quality than a pair of levi's you could pick up at the Gap or something.
Hot Topic generally sells shitty clothes for high prices. If for some reason you're averse to shopping at thrift stores, which are usually recognized as the most crucial resource for goth fashion, just go to Target.
Don't look for people to tell you which boots to get or what to wear on your arms, there's no dress code.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
Cen0bite

I don't think anyone here would recommend Fall Out Boy.

I will try to answer your questions. Hopefully some more people will chime in.

1)I think so... I don't really wear them.

2)Eh, they're kinda floppy. Unless you wear the skinny jeans.

3)As far as stores in the mall go, that's the only one i can think of that sells things like that. But you can always mix and match things from different stores. There are also tons of online stores that sell gothic clothing. Or you can just DIY.

4)Get what you like. I wear converses usually.

5)Again, wear what you like. If a backwards cap is your thing, then fine.

6)Only if you want to. I know some without tattoos.

Again i say, wear what you like. Clothes aren't going to make you goth.

Pinhead: What you think of as pain is a shadow. Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you. Gentlemen, I... Am... Pain
-Hellraiser:Bloodline
Cen0bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:35 PM   #4
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen0bite
Clothes aren't going to make you goth.
Oh, yeah, Redex, you should probably check out some goth bands before you worry about fashion, if you don't want Carlotta Queen of the Bats to call you a poser to her reflection in the mirror while she spends an hour teasing her hair.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
Redex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen0bite

Again i say, wear what you like.
I appreciate the responses so far. I frequent thrift stores but hardly ever find anything. I live in the deep south (united states) and its hard to find anything remotely gothic or diffrent even at my local big box mart. Money is not an issue I've got plenty of that stuff.

I thought of taking a black zip up hoodie I have a and bleaching a band name into it. Also I found some converse knock offs called deviants at rivithead d0t c0m. Cant post a full link yet since I'm new. I am leaning towards a pair of boots. Maybe army surplus or a fairly priced pair might do it for me.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
Godslayer Jillian

If you want to break your addiction to the mainstream, then DIY, support and improve your local music scene so that it's not a place for the bullshit clique of "scene kids", stop depending on the entertainment industry for fun (assuming you do), start learning for the sake of learning, and try to do things you had never thought of doing before like learning a new instrument or even going dumpster diving.
These above things are not goth (save for the first one), my point is that "breaking from the mainstream" is much, MUCH more than changing your outfit.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Redex

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Oh, yeah, Redex, you should probably check out some goth bands before you worry about fashion, if you don't want Carlotta Queen of the Bats to call you a poser to her reflection in the mirror while she spends an hour teasing her hair.
Technically I am. She can call me what she likes. I'll write more later I have to help a friend.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #8
Minyaliel

Oh boy. You do need some serious help. You don´t understand goth at all. Um, I don´t feel up for the task of teaching you, really, but seriously. Go straight to Google and look up gothic rock, postpunk, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees and Sisters of Mercy. Please.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
PortraitOfSanity

Just stop, if you're just going to do it for the fashion, it's not worth it at all. Keep shopping at Hollister, because if you're not into the music, there's really no point in dressing like you are.

As a more practical note, Tripp is pretty much garbage.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #10
Redex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
Just stop, if you're just going to do it for the fashion, it's not worth it at all.

Well if you say so...
Old 08-30-2008, 04:03 PM   #11
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
Keep shopping at Hollister, because if you're not into the music, there's really no point in dressing like you are.
What if he likes the goth aesthetic, but hates Bauhaus? If that's the case, he's free to dress however he wants to dress, and whether doing makes him a poser in the eyes of goths is probably irrelevant to him.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:06 PM   #12
PortraitOfSanity

I guess it is up to him in the end, but the way you dress reflects who you are. If you're going to dress like something you're not, I just feel that's pretty pointless, and you'll probably end up wasting your money because you won't like it.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:48 PM   #13
viscus

*shrug*

I typically wear just wear goth rock t-shirts and levis.

Like most have already said, DIY is the way to go. But if you're looking for specific neo-Victorian or cyber articles, eBay has a lot of stuff. eBay's also really helpful for buttons and patches.

And yeah, none of the bands you mentioned are Goth, sorry.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:42 PM   #14
Sephiroth Kali

Personally, I wear a lot of tripp pants, but its not the clothes that make you goth. nor is liking the music. Sorry to disapoint, but anyone can like music. Not anyone is goth.

I'm not one to say that people are born goth, but do what you feel. if you seen someone you think is goth, and you like what they wear, take it and make it YOU. Look into the culture if it interests you.

I do commend your desire to break the norm. Welcome to GNet
Sephiroth Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #15
TheBloodEternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth Kali
Personally, I wear a lot of tripp pants, but its not the clothes that make you goth. nor is liking the music. Sorry to disapoint, but anyone can like music. Not anyone is goth.
All goth really is is clothes and music....

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:20 PM   #16
Redex

Quote:

I'm not one to say that people are born goth, but do what you feel. if you seen someone you think is goth, and you like what they wear, take it and make it YOU. Look into the culture if it interests you.

Thank You for the reply. I don't know. Maybe I'm mixed up. When I see a band like combichrist or zombie girl I've always thought of gothic culture. If its not what is it?
Old 08-30-2008, 10:33 PM   #17
NightmareInShiningArmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redex
1. Can I get Tripp like pants without the huge leg openings (I feel like I would be tripping over them a lot).
Geddit, TRIPP pants, he feels like he'd be TRIPPING over them. haha. Couldn't resist...
*buh-dum-chi*
/end shitty joke

[quote-Redex]6. Are piercings/tattoos really necessary?[/quote]

Are you just working from the stereotype?

Quote:
7. What accessories should I get? (necklace/collar/arm bands/etc.)
All up to you. Don't even need to wear them if you don't want to.

Quote:
8. Any other tips on shirt/pants/shoes/hat/accessories/etc?
D.I Freakin Y! (DIY)

Quote:
9. What am I forgetting???
That Tripp is usually worn by mallgoths.
If you want "goth" clothing, your answer is DIY, not Hot Topic. Tripp is also not exactly of the highest quality.

Quote:
11. I am not looking for an emo look! I very much despise everything emo. The music, the sadness, the art style.
Very stereotyped emo and also, stay away from Hot Topic for that matter if you want to avoid that look. There may be a few decent things in there but the odds are better for winning the Lotto.

Quote:
Nine Inch Nails
KMFDM,
Combichrist
Zombie Girl
Rob Zombie
Modulate
Slipknot
Skinny Puppy
and many more...
These bands aren't particularly goth and we won't flame you for liking them. I like a few of those.

Look for these:
Siouxsie and the Banshees
The Cure
The Cruxshadows (love em)
Bauhaus (must download Bela Lugosi's Dead, best song by them!)
Alien Sex Fiend
Christian Death
Joy Division
Sex Gang Children
and many more...

Quote:
(To the people who recommend Fall Out Boy: I might like them if they could Sing, play instruments, put on a decent show, not cry every time a girl dumps them etc...)
Who the hell would recommend FALL OUT BOY on this forum? Anyone who does should just leave before we send someone around your house...

If you want Tripp style pants (aka bondage pants) just buy some cargo pants for about $20 or something and add D rings, make some bondage straps, add chains, grommets, studs and stuff of that nature. Oh yeah, zips too. You don't need to buy from Hot Topic of all places.

*bows*
Old 08-30-2008, 10:41 PM   #18
NightmareInShiningArmour

Quote:
Thank You for the reply. I don't know. Maybe I'm mixed up. When I see a band like combichrist or zombie girl I've always thought of gothic culture. If its not what is it?
A rip off of our sub-culture.
Or just a bunch of people who like to dress up as skeletons, zombies or other horror film things.

For that matter (for later warning) PLEASE don't pretend to be a vampire. At any point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodEternity
And aesthetics.

Quote:
What if he likes the goth aesthetic, but hates Bauhaus? If that's the case, he's free to dress however he wants to dress, and whether doing makes him a poser in the eyes of goths is probably irrelevant to him.
Why art thou so smart?
Old 08-31-2008, 06:38 AM   #19
viscus

Quote:

How many times have we been over this?

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:11 PM   #20
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodEternity
I'd say (personally) just music....

I keep Gothic fashion and Goth rock very seperate, wearing gothic clothes does not make you a goth, but listening and enjoying (key word) it does.

Just make sure you listen to music because you like it, not because it gives you a label.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:23 PM   #21
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
How many times have we been over this?
Enough that I'd rather drink paint than go over it again
Old 08-31-2008, 05:31 PM   #22
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Quote:
Gothicus you're well known enough in these forums and have enough artistic acclaim as it is, there's no need to imitate Van Gogh
Old 08-31-2008, 05:33 PM   #23
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Canvas Corpsey
Gothicus you're well known enough in these forums and have enough artistic acclaim as it is, there's no need to imitate Van Gogh
Fuck, SCC, I wish you'd told me that before I cut off my ear.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:37 PM   #24
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
EXTREME BLU!!!

...clone high anyone?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:13 PM   #25
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Quote:
Fuck, SCC, I wish you'd told me that before I cut off my ear.
I don't know how to make it up to you, I could give you oral pleasure but you already have a plethora of girls after you so my services are hardly needed.

Hmm, it seems I'm in a complimentary mood today.