Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-16-2006, 01:27 AM   #26
disorder

pwned = owned.

In a sence.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:46 AM   #27
Legacy of Wulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypurple
As an aside, I'm not into netspeak... What is PWNED?
Some retard once mistyped "owned" and for some awful reason since then it would forever be intentionally mistyped by everyone on the internet.
Legacy of Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:09 AM   #28
winged_dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy of Wulf
Ever actually say it in real life?
Yes, I say pwn in real life and I also say uber. XD

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:33 AM   #29
spookypurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by disorder
pwned = owned.

In a sence.
Quote:
Some retard once mistyped "owned" and for some awful reason since then it would forever be intentionally mistyped by everyone on the internet.

Ohhhh! I get it now! It's like 'book' rather than 'cool' with predictive text?

Thank you very much!

Next dumb question - 'owned' in what context?

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:44 AM   #30
Legacy of Wulf

Quote:
Next dumb question - 'owned' in what context?
"Owned, often typed as own3d, pwned or pwn3d, is an internet slang word used commonly in gaming circles to acknowledge a form of superiority through the downfall of another group, be it another gaming clan, or a single user. This can be in the context of winning an online game, a debate on a forum, or attaining a successful hacking, as well as the signature to a rebuttal, such as "You got 0wned!" to announce the defeat of another user on the internet in the form of a debate or flame war. It signifies defeat and humiliation, often through the dominance or superiority of another party. For example, a player who repeatedly beats his opponent in online computer games, may claim he has "owned" him. There are military examples of similar sentiments being expressed by a victorious party.

Origins

The slang use of the term originated in computer security, as a slang term for a computer system having full control, figuratively "ownership", compromised. "I own your computer". The origins of "owned" and similar expressions (own3d, 0wned, powned, pwned, pwnd, pwn3d, pooned, pawned, etc...) cannot be traced back to any single person. But the term is known to have originally been used by hackers, left as a message on compromised systems: (Owned by Hackername)

The term pwned is believed to have come from an early, mulitplayer first person shooter where, after killing your enemy, a message would be broadcast to all the other players, "So-and-so has just pwned So-and-So" Obviously a Typographical error on the developer's part.

Other Examples and Usages

"Owned" is also commonly used in a context when one person has decisively finished an argument and the other arguing party(ies) are at complete lack of words.

"Owned" can also be used to signify self-contradiction, when someone has been injured in a comical/funny way, or when someone has fallen victim to a practical joke. For example, someone may be "owned" if they base their knowledge on a source, but then are contradicted by the very source on which they 'based' their knowledge upon.

"Owned" is most commonly used in England to signify being outwitted by a person or object."
Old 06-16-2006, 02:49 AM   #31
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
"Owned, often typed as own3d, pwned or pwn3d, is an internet slang word used commonly in gaming circles to acknowledge a form of superiority through the downfall of another group, be it another gaming clan, or a single user. This can be in the context of winning an online game, a debate on a forum, or attaining a successful hacking, as well as the signature to a rebuttal, such as "You got 0wned!" to announce the defeat of another user on the internet in the form of a debate or flame war. It signifies defeat and humiliation, often through the dominance or superiority of another party. For example, a player who repeatedly beats his opponent in online computer games, may claim he has "owned" him. There are military examples of similar sentiments being expressed by a victorious party.

Origins

The slang use of the term originated in computer security, as a slang term for a computer system having full control, figuratively "ownership", compromised. "I own your computer". The origins of "owned" and similar expressions (own3d, 0wned, powned, pwned, pwnd, pwn3d, pooned, pawned, etc...) cannot be traced back to any single person. But the term is known to have originally been used by hackers, left as a message on compromised systems: (Owned by Hackername)

The term pwned is believed to have come from an early, mulitplayer first person shooter where, after killing your enemy, a message would be broadcast to all the other players, "So-and-so has just pwned So-and-So" Obviously a Typographical error on the developer's part.

Other Examples and Usages

"Owned" is also commonly used in a context when one person has decisively finished an argument and the other arguing party(ies) are at complete lack of words.

"Owned" can also be used to signify self-contradiction, when someone has been injured in a comical/funny way, or when someone has fallen victim to a practical joke. For example, someone may be "owned" if they base their knowledge on a source, but then are contradicted by the very source on which they 'based' their knowledge upon.

"Owned" is most commonly used in England to signify being outwitted by a person or object."
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...notes_post.jpg
Old 06-16-2006, 03:07 AM   #32
spookypurple

Oh, thanks for that.

Well, if it's to do with gaming, no wonder I didn't get it.

Cute photobucket.

Hamlet
Old 06-16-2006, 07:56 AM   #33
Ben Lahnger

Wulf, you didn't have to post that whole thing. A brief sentence or two and a link to the appropriate Wikipedia article would have been fine for this kind of forum.

Morrigan, you do know that when you quote someone (especially in the case of a long, dry, explanatory text like the "pwned" example above), you don't have to repost the entire quote, right? You can edit the qoute, and post a shorter excerpt of it, reproducing enough to get the point accross without taking up as much real estate. For that matter, I rarely use quote at all when I am replying to the most recent post. It just makes the thread much more pleasant to read.

I don't mean to pick on you because I do enjoy reading your posts. I'm just more interested in getting to what you have to say, rather than rereading what has already been posted.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:08 AM   #34
Legacy of Wulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
Wulf, you didn't have to post that whole thing. A brief sentence or two and a link to the appropriate Wikipedia article would have been fine for this kind of forum.
I had nothing better to do. :\
Old 06-16-2006, 08:28 AM   #35
spookypurple

Well, thank you for your time, Wulf. I'm not familiar with wikipedia. Time to make it my friend, methinks.

And to Ben - hello there!

Hamlet
Old 06-16-2006, 10:01 AM   #36
Legacy of Wulf

Quote:
Well, thank you for your time, Wulf. I'm not familiar with wikipedia. Time to make it my friend, methinks.
Yeah, give it a lookup. Whole lot of information on just about anything you can think of on there. Actually having sections on "pwned" and "owned" should prove that.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:08 AM   #37
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
And to Ben - hello there!
Well, hello gorgeous! You know, Spooky, I never tire of looking at that avatar of yours ...

except for when I'm reading your always thoughtful and eloquent posts!

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 06-16-2006, 01:20 PM   #38
spookypurple

*smiles*

Hamlet
Old 06-16-2006, 04:43 PM   #39
tdf

Quote:
Ever actually say it in real life?
Try going to an engineering school and that pretty much becomes a part of your everyday vocabulary. :P
tdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:37 AM   #40
spookypurple

Did you know....

in Welsh, 'w' is a vowel pronounced 'oo'? If I had to say it, I think I'd automatically pronounce it 'pooned'...

Hamlet
Old 06-17-2006, 09:09 PM   #41
Circle V

That's how I pronounce it whenever I happen to use it.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:57 PM   #42
Ben Lahnger

"You are so POONED!"

Nope, I don't think it's gonna catch on.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 06-19-2006, 12:26 AM   #43
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
Morrigan, you do know that when you quote someone (especially in the case of a long, dry, explanatory text like the "pwned" example above), you don't have to repost the entire quote, right? You can edit the qoute, and post a shorter excerpt of it, reproducing enough to get the point accross without taking up as much real estate. For that matter, I rarely use quote at all when I am replying to the most recent post. It just makes the thread much more pleasant to read.

I don't mean to pick on you because I do enjoy reading your posts. I'm just more interested in getting to what you have to say, rather than rereading what has already been posted.
Ah yes, Ben, I do know that and normally I edit the post I am quoting down to the relevant part. In this case, however, I was being facetious. I was making the same point about Legacy of Wulf's post as you have just made. You see, the link I posted was to a 'humourous' photoshopped image of Cliff Notes, not for a novel, but for "Your Post", thereby implying that I thought the previous post was overly long. I quoted the entire post to emphasise this.

So, yeah...
Old 06-19-2006, 12:44 AM   #44
Kari

your friends think you are a freak, so you are a goth, thats the point of it, congratz! ^^
Kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:36 PM   #45
Draconysius

As always, I suggest seeking http://en.wikipedia.org and looking up "goth" and "goth rock". They're excellent articles to read when trying to find the subculture. They aren't the know-all tell-all enlightened words of gothdom, though. They're merely a nice starting point.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote