Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
TheHandThatFeeds

I found a awesome victorian/steampunk/formal store!

Not sure if anyone have seen this catch but if you ask me they have some quite nifty and unique items, thought I would share it!
http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/
TheHandThatFeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
HavelockV

The Emporium is indeed a fine establishment where I often find myself 'window shopping'. Overall their wares are of generally good quality and are attractively presented. However, I find their prices a touch on the high side for my own limited financial resources. Still, a respectable site for those with an interest in historical styles.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:12 AM   #3
AsylumVoid

That site is okay...the colours aren't really for me though. It's a shame because some of their dresses would be really awesome in jewel tones or black.
AsylumVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:29 AM   #4
HavelockV

For a very wide selection of Victorian/Edwardian/Early 20th Century dress styles, I would reccomend http://www.recollections.biz/. The company offers a wide range of interesting designs, great latitude in custom sizing and fabric choices, and prices are generally fair. For my part, I only lament that they offer precious little in the way of period male fashions.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
Malice In Wonderland

No. Such. Thing.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
TheHandThatFeeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland View Post
No. Such. Thing.
Pardon me..?
Old 10-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
blindNsect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavelockV View Post
For a very wide selection of Victorian/Edwardian/Early 20th Century dress styles, I would reccomend http://www.recollections.biz/. The company offers a wide range of interesting designs, great latitude in custom sizing and fabric choices, and prices are generally fair. For my part, I only lament that they offer precious little in the way of period male fashions.
That site even has a section called "Steampunk." Nice.
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:01 AM   #8
AsylumVoid

Every time I look at a steampunk clothing site, I sit there and think...I would love all this stuff....if it wasn't brown!
Old 10-06-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
blindNsect

I feel the same way.
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland View Post
No. Such. Thing.
You do know it's got nothing much to do with Punk as in the style of music right?
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
Still Jack

He does. He's saying there is no such thing as an awesome victorian/steampunk/formal store. Awesome being the operative word.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
You do know it's got nothing much to do with Punk as in the style of music right?
Yep.
Still think it's lame.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Old 10-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #13
JCC

Not only does steampunk, victorian revival and every other shitty gimmicky dress style suck, but if you're going to play at nobleman you might want to know that it's 'an awesome' rather than 'a awesome'.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #14
TheHandThatFeeds

First off, I'm not going to "play a nobleman" But some others might and in that case I'd post the find. And as of it being awesome thats a fucking opinion, you dont have to share it. But I bet you'd be rather sad quite quickly if every single person agree'd with you.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #15
Still Jack

Who says we have to respect your opinion. Not every opinion is correct.

edit: whatever, we've been over this so many times, and the anti-steampunk side won every time, so I just can't be bothered anymore...
Old 10-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #16
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHandThatFeeds View Post
First off, I'm not going to "play a nobleman" But some others might and in that case I'd post the find. And as of it being awesome thats a fucking opinion, you dont have to share it. But I bet you'd be rather sad quite quickly if every single person agree'd with you.
I think the fact there are many opinions is just proof that they are not all equal.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #17
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHandThatFeeds View Post
The nobility shit is more stale than a ten year old open box of animal crackers. And steampunk (for all the once-fascinating ideas and possible concepts) is right behind it. It's nice to be fancy once in a blue moon, but you guys should be able to stretch the concept farther than aristocrat AND steampunk.

And some, if not half, of you have a very bad habit of thinking that the scene would automatically be a better place if every single goth to ever exist started dressing like they stepped out of a dark aristocratic ball.

Grammar and spelling, motherfucker! DO YOU USE IT?!
Old 10-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #18
honeythorn

There are plenty of people who don't go for the aristocrat look. Many do like to add the odd cravat and spats and maybe a bustle or corset/cincher but it's certainly not the pristine lady/lord of the manner look that is aimed for on a lot of outfits.

The fancy bits are usually to dress up the practical ones. If nothing else because the full on Victorian outfits such as the ones listed on the site HavelockV linked to are hellishly expensive , and since steampunk is more a case of history as it could have been instead of as it actually was, then a fair amount of artistic licence is taken to mash outfits together from all sorts of fabrics and styles, yes and classes. In some cases it looks awful ( not unlike goth fashion in that respect) but in others it really can look wonderful.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #19
Malice In Wonderland

Steampunk is a literary genre.
An awesome literary genre.

Yet some people bastardised it a step to far.
It's in the same league as LARPing.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #20
DRM

I think it's an aesthetically pleasing fashion but, it seems to be a bit too much effort to pull off.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #21
AsylumVoid

See, I adore the crazy neo victorian styles, especially when it's gothed up mad style. I like anything uber extreme to be honest, obviously only when it's done well...there are quite a lot of people I've seen pull stuff like that off stupidly well.

The qualm I have with the way Steampunk looks is basically, all the bloody brown and khaki kind of colours. It almost takes away the boldness more exciting colours would give and makes an otherwise interesting style look washed out. When you start adding the weapons and cogs etc you end up with what looks like LARP.

I guess if you think it's hot, that's cool. If you do, educate me and show me Steampunk looking awesome.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #22
Pineapple_Juice

Have to agree here. I'm just gonna come right out and say "I like black".

People should make more shit in black. Period.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #23
SiouxsiePernova

I found most of their offerings to be rather dull, but I am fond of these boots.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #24
HavelockV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik View Post
The nobility shit is more stale than a ten year old open box of animal crackers. And steampunk (for all the once-fascinating ideas and possible concepts) is right behind it. It's nice to be fancy once in a blue moon, but you guys should be able to stretch the concept farther than aristocrat AND steampunk.

And some, if not half, of you have a very bad habit of thinking that the scene would automatically be a better place if every single goth to ever exist started dressing like they stepped out of a dark aristocratic ball.
Miss Lolly, perhaps I have addressed this in prior discussions about our relative views on Victorian-inspired fashion, but pray, indulge me.

It seems that your frustration with those who are attracted this particular genre of fashion is that they do not exhibit, in your eyes, a satisfactory level of creative interpretation in their attire. Most people would think that individuals dressing in a generally strict and stereotypical version of Victorian style are already comporting themselves in an unconventional manner, and yet you feel such efforts insufficient to merit consideration.

I am not so much objecting to your view as any sort of attack on my own personal aesthetic, particularly since even I rarely sport the full-on 'fancy' look (in all its un-inspired glory), but moreso on behalf of the newcomers to this board who, if they show the slightest inkling of interest in Victoriana, consistently become fodder for the wolves, as it were.

I will be the first to admit that there are certain individuals on this board who have a style that does not appeal to me in the least; and yet I somehow manage to withold my criticism because I realize, as most people do, that everyone has the right to choose how they dress and it is hardly my place to tell them that they are wrong, boring or inferior for doing so.

Now, someone please do something about all these bloody spam-bots!
Old 10-15-2009, 12:42 AM   #25
SweetJane

Quote:
I really don't like the concept of steam punk and I really don't like that it has the word punk in it. It's juts pretending to be from somewhere more interesting BLAHBLAHBLAH... punk shouldn't be about pretending anything. Besides, I heard those pussy ass bitches at a show in St.Louis complaining that they had other people's sweat on them. OF COURSE YOU DO! IT'S A GODDAMNED GOGUL BORDELLO CONCERT! Get your gentrification the fuck out of here, or it's bound to get the shit beaten out of it.
^ My first post in the rant section.

I'm working class. I call shenanigans on steampunk.