Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
DarkGentleman

Metropolis

I recently watched Metropolis, a 1927 classic silent film directed by Fritz Lang and based the book by Thea von Harbou.

I just love the steampunk/cyberpunk theme in this movie and how the story goes.

Ever thought they should do a remake of this film? I would love to see that since now CGI can make the cities have the same look from the original version but more up to date kinda thing.

I'm not refering to the anime version either, even it was fun to watch, but I prefer something more live-action.
DarkGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
Steppenwolf

I saw first an 80's version with rock/pop music (among others there's a song of Adam and the ants), and found the movie great,excepting the "happy end" ... To me was not very realistic to allow Maria to survive , not the boss to change his mind ...

A remake? Who could do it without destroying its beauty? ... No , I don't want so see it happening in this life ...
Old 10-16-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
Stuporman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGentleman
Ever thought they should do a remake of this film? I would love to see that since now CGI can make the cities have the same look from the original version but more up to date kinda thing.
I'm a freak about Metropolis. In fact, a print of the original orangey poster with the large-eyed robo-Maria hangs over my bed. Nightmares ensue. But anyway, I think it's generally a terrible idea to remake classic films. Imagine if somebody remade the Wizard of Oz. Comparing the original and the remake is inevitable, and unless the original really sucks, it would be hard to trump or even equal for the remake, CGI or not. Just look at the transition of Yoda from cool muppet-thing to shitty computer graphic.
Stuporman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
c130

Ooooh I love that movie! SO MUCH! Fritz Lang's M was good too but Metropolis is my favourite by far.

I made a giant poster of the blue Degen painting of Maria with the helmet on, using Rasterbator and 9 A4 sheets of card, and put it up on my door. But I've been hunting forever for one of those massive fabric wall-hanging type posters like the one in the movie Hackers. I'd give my left foot for one of those.

Re. remakes, has anyone seen The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari? That was remade in 2005 I think; they found some actors as close to the originals as they could, and used the actual sets from the original by cleaning up stills from the old footage and shooting against greenscreen, but they got the actors to actually speak so it wasn't a silent film, and they'd have tweaked the script a bit to make it work. I'm a bit apprehensive about watching that one, though it should really just be a polished-up retake of the original.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
LadyLucretia

I saw Metropolis in a restored 1920's era theater once. It was marvelous.
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
c130

*glowing with furious envy*
Old 10-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #7
Underwater Ophelia

I really like Metropolis, and was introduced to it by Stuporman. I really really like it. I think it's really poetic in the way it expresses things, like the factory.

Thumbs down on a remake, though.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:32 PM   #8
d.Nox

Quote:
Originally Posted by c130
Re. remakes, has anyone seen The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari? That was remade in 2005 I think; they found some actors as close to the originals as they could, and used the actual sets from the original by cleaning up stills from the old footage and shooting against greenscreen, but they got the actors to actually speak so it wasn't a silent film, and they'd have tweaked the script a bit to make it work. I'm a bit apprehensive about watching that one, though it should really just be a polished-up retake of the original.
If they've made the actors speak, the remake has already lost something from the original, which used its silence to good effect. At least they've tried to keep the visuals the same--that was the original's strongest point. It's not like the plot was anything terribly special.
d.Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:40 PM   #9
LaLaLogic

There's the animated Metropolis directed by Osamu Tezuka. It's anime, but it's done in a kind of souped-up 20's style. It's difficult to explain what it looks like. In plot and art it's not a typical anime. If you google "metropolis anime" you'll find the official site.

If you ever watch it; watch the japanese with subtitles version. The english dub was kind of irritating, they kept adding extra dialogue. In scenes where there was originally silence, the characters would just keep on chattering.
LaLaLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:50 AM   #10
c130

Erm, it shares nothing with Fritz Lang's masterpiece except for the name.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:46 PM   #11
LaLaLogic

I know, it's not a direct re-make, just that in its themes it may be of interest.
LaLaLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #12
Steppenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuporman
Imagine if somebody remade the Wizard of Oz.
A new wizard of Oz , without Judy Garland?????
Old 10-17-2007, 08:25 PM   #13
Stuporman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppenwolf
A new wizard of Oz , without Judy Garland?????
Not necessarily, they could scare her up. She just might not do a lot of talking.
Ooh, how about Britney Spears is Dorothy, and she sings all of her own stuff instead of the ones from the original! It makes me want to grind my teeth with excitement!
Stuporman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:56 AM   #14
d.Nox

Quote:
It makes me want to grind my teeth with excitement!
I originally read this as "grind my teeth with excrement," which I thought was a pretty good image, and apropos.
d.Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:52 PM   #15
gothicusmaximus

I'm a Metropolis fan as well. Sadly, the power of the piece is rooted in its artfully executed expressionist elements, and, as expressionism has generally fallen out of favor among the general population, a contemporary adaptation which does justice to the source material is unlikely to emerge. I wouldn't object to a remake in the vein of Werner Herzog's '79 Nosferatu, though.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 05:15 PM   #16
Undead_Stagehand

I was watching Metropolis this morning and wondered:
instead of the wealthy wearing white (in general) and the oppressed workers wearing black (or some dark color; the film is black-and-white after all), what if that color scheme were reversed? Would some symbolism be lost?
Old 12-15-2007, 05:29 PM   #17
Xombie

I think in order for it to hold the same power, the workers' white outfits would have to be dirtied and slightly torn, perhaps.
Also, if the scheme were reversed, it may take on a complete different type of symbolism. The workers wearing white could be saying that they are innocent; they don't know what's going on up there. They simply do what they're told to do.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote