Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:42 AM   #401
Sanctus Dei

So, one must become a "Satanist" to be one's self? BUT the icon Satan has little to no envolvement.. so why exactly identify with satanist vs. just being one's self?? I can't say I understand this one...

Seriously, no disrespect to the hard core followers (even that sounds dumb based on the following question) but what is with the "anti-conformist collective"?? It's terribly (and rather comically) redundant...
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:50 AM   #402
NachtSorcier

From what I understand, in LaVeyan Satanism Satan is merely a symbol of indulgence and frivolity, as opposed to one of being constrained by mainstream religious ideology. They call themselves Satanists to show an opposite attitude of hardcore Christians who feel that they must follow the rules and doctrines of Christianity.

It's true that that sounds like just being yourself, but Satanism as a religion does have rules and doctrines, as hypocritical as that sounds, but you just have to read up on it for yourself.

www.satanism101.com

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:30 PM   #403
Virulent Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnicula
To a lot of teenagers, Satanism is interesting because it is exotic, and symbolizes the opposite of their parents' way of thinking. It is important for adults to distinguish between normal adolescent desire to explore different paths and to symbolically "destroy" their childhood selves and previous identities throgh identification with "satan," and true danger of being part of a group that commits crimes or makes threats against people in the name of Satanism.

Hmm....what the... oh needle brain.
"Like that old tale, the girl who wanted to become the best dancer in the world. "Yes," said the sorceress, "but each time you set your foot on earth will be like knives slashing." "If you can stand the pain, you will be granted your desire."
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:31 PM   #404
Virulent Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtSorcier
From what I understand, in LaVeyan Satanism Satan is merely a symbol of indulgence and frivolity, as opposed to one of being constrained by mainstream religious ideology. They call themselves Satanists to show an opposite attitude of hardcore Christians who feel that they must follow the rules and doctrines of Christianity.

It's true that that sounds like just being yourself, but Satanism as a religion does have rules and doctrines, as hypocritical as that sounds, but you just have to read up on it for yourself.

www.satanism101.com

I thought he called it Satanism because it was based on a metaphor of Satan....
"Like that old tale, the girl who wanted to become the best dancer in the world. "Yes," said the sorceress, "but each time you set your foot on earth will be like knives slashing." "If you can stand the pain, you will be granted your desire."
Old 05-25-2006, 01:46 PM   #405
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctus Dei
So, one must become a "Satanist" to be one's self? BUT the icon Satan has little to no envolvement.. so why exactly identify with satanist vs. just being one's self?? I can't say I understand this one...

Seriously, no disrespect to the hard core followers (even that sounds dumb based on the following question) but what is with the "anti-conformist collective"?? It's terribly (and rather comically) redundant...
Oxymoronic, I think you mean. And it has to do with bucking trends and finding others who did the same, and then saying you're superior because of it. It's just more of the same "My god is better than your god" that's been going on forever, and will continue to occur.

Unless one really doesn't care about the opinion others hold of one. But then, one wouldn't be so defensive about clearly labelling oneself, would one? >
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:24 PM   #406
NachtSorcier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virulent Dryad
I thought he called it Satanism because it was based on a metaphor of Satan....
Wouldn't a metaphor of Satan entail an attitude opposite that of Christians?

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:44 PM   #407
Corpsey

Quote:
yes, most probably. I always thought a satanist was someone who indulged in the seven deadly sins.

Our school had a uniform up til sixth and 7th form (the last two years of highschool) and the uniforms seemed rather pointless, especially in winter, because they were useless at keeping you warm. In 7th form one of my mates managed to get this really grotesque Cannibal Corpse shirt and no one seemed to notice or give a toss about it either, so i can't see why we had to wear those stupid grey and white uniforms if it was supposed to make us all warm and fuzzy towards each other.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:05 PM   #408
AshNicoli

Schools don't care about cannibal corpses shirts. Unless they are advocating murder, sex, drugs, incest, molestation or any other thing. I use to wear them all the time. Though its sad they alow that bands shirt but one day i wear a marilyn manson shirt and they made me turn it inside out.
AshNicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:13 PM   #409
nell05

in my school,you can be whatever you want to be , you can be as chavy as you want or goth as you want . the only rule that i think my school has is a rule against nail polish . what kind of crap is that compared to everything else. extreme foolishness, but on the other hand , mt school is packed with fools!!
nell05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:21 PM   #410
Godslayer Jillian

Fools that can't spell, I presume?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:58 PM   #411
Solumina

hehehehehehehe
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:22 AM   #412
end.of.eternity

Don't be so mean, Jillian

As I recall me once telling here, my school doesn't give a shit how the people dress, but I'm changing school after summer so let's see how it'll be there.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:48 AM   #413
the_cure

My school is so so. We can have nail polish and such. But no chain (though that rule is lightly enforced) and no spikes. Other than that we can do as we wish.
the_cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 11:54 AM   #414
nell05

im not a fool, that was a spelling mistake i made. i couldnt exactly go back and changed it.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:09 PM   #415
Queenofdarkness57

Quote:
Originally Posted by nell05
im not a fool, that was a spelling mistake i made. i couldnt exactly go back and changed it.
"and changed it"?!?! Thankyou for proving to us that indeed you're not a fool! hehe. So funny!
Old 05-27-2006, 12:13 PM   #416
Godslayer Jillian

Nell, it wasn't a single isolated mispell. Even in this apology, you mispelled.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:18 PM   #417
nell05

oh god!, you guys can be so degrading sometimes
Old 05-27-2006, 12:22 PM   #418
maggot

XD Degrading? You haven't seen us be degrading!
Old 05-27-2006, 12:34 PM   #419
Minyaliel

Nachtsorcier - yay, someone cares to read about Satanists before condemning us! You made my day

By the way, if anyone's read anything Ayn Rand, you've encountered a truly satanic attitude in her books, especially "Anthem".

Back on topic... Here in Norway, we don't have school uniforms - they're non-existant. There have been arguments about them, but nothing has happened. In theory, people can wear whatever they like - for fun, I and a couple of friends once wore PJ's to school to see if anyone reacted (now that was funny *grins*) - but people are rather condemning on "freaks" here. Anyone not wearing the latest fashion is stared upon and is sure to draw, if not loud comments, then suspicious glares, giggling and muttered comments from the groups of wannabe- grownups standing in the corners. Thanks goshness I'm going to university this autumn - it's got to be better there.
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #420
bjork_freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nell05
oh god!, you guys can be so degrading sometimes
It's people like you that give me irritable bowel syndrome.
bjork_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 10:32 PM   #421
roserougesang

Uniforms aren't that bad. My school has a uniform code but we do occasionally have casual clothes days.
No one except a few people really care how I dress, most people are pretty tolerant.
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 11:53 PM   #422
Godslayer Jillian

Ah, Minyaliel, I see you're a satanist too.
Why can't people understand satanism?
It's so simple!
We just sacrifice baby seals for an orgy with the dark lord, is that so hard to understand?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 05-28-2006, 03:09 AM   #423
Virulent Dryad

Quote:

You could think of it like that. It makes Christians take it all so personally though.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:50 AM   #424
spookypurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
Nachtsorcier - yay, someone cares to read about Satanists before condemning us! You made my day
The eternal puzzle (apart from the timing of buses) - why do people condemn without doing their homework first? Is it just laziness or what? Or - ta-da!- are they afraid they might like what they find if they did?! Eh?

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:22 AM   #425
Minyaliel

Godslayer - hehehehe. Now, don't give all our secrets away....

Spookypurple - you've got a point there... I know I was dead scared when I first stumbled into Satanism as a confused wannabe- catholic teen and found that "Oh my god, this is what I've always thought, too!" It's about taboo's, I think. It's just taboo to be a satanist and express your opinions on the matter of religion because people don't know what it's about. And whatever most people don't know about, they reject. It's that simple - it's a state of denyal :P

Last edited by Minyaliel; 05-28-2006 at 08:24 AM. Reason: weird cencoring thing
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote