Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #3701
vindicatedxjin

lol okay. GO TO SLEEPPS

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #3702
Saya

Not yet! Versus deploys tomorrow and I'm waiting for him to get on MSN like he said he would so I can blubber and cry and fret over him.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:34 AM   #3703
Murder.Of.Crows

WHAT!? Versus is deploying? To where?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:49 AM   #3704
Saya

Afghanistan. I feel like a dork, he called me on skype while he was waiting for his cab and I said "have a nice trip!" when I meant to say "safe journey." >.>
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:36 AM   #3705
MissCheyenne

Ugh, the Dr has put me on some new medication and from everything I've read about it, one of the major side effects is weight gain. I do not like this at all.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #3706
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Afghanistan. I feel like a dork, he called me on skype while he was waiting for his cab and I said "have a nice trip!" when I meant to say "safe journey." >.>
Safe travels Versus.

MissC - man that sucks about the weight gain. Why do medications always have weight gain as a side effect..

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #3707
Grausamkeit

Safe journey, Versus!

Peta is Bullshit!

Peta kills.

I see nothing wrong with animal testing to save human lives. We had a member back in the day who worked closely with doctors doing research with animals on childhood diseases. I am more supportive of the Human Genome Project(but even with that we have to first test animals to make sure human lives are not put at risk), but I refuse to condemn things that help people. I see nothing wrong with using animals for food. There could be better ethical standards put in place by some organizations, but I don't believe the shock vids that Peta puts out.

Fuck terrorist organisations like Alf/Elf! Fuck Peta and fuck people who suggest violence or terrorist acts against innocent people just because you don't believe what they believe.

I eat animals. I agree with using them to further medical science. I do not believe in abusing animals. I do not believe in minimizing human suffering by comparing things like the holocaust and concentration camps to what animals feel. I do not believe in committing vandalism or terrorism in some self-righteous bullshit about 'animal rights' so that I can feel superior to others.

I do not wear fur because I do not eat the animals the fur comes from. I eat cows, though, and feel no qualms about wearing leather.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #3708
Ben Lahnger

I want a P.E.T.A. t-shirt ...

People eating Tasty Animals

YUM!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #3709
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
Fuck terrorist organisations like Alf/Elf! Fuck Peta and fuck people who suggest violence or terrorist acts against innocent people just because you don't believe what they believe.
The ALF and ELF have never killed one single person.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #3710
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The ALF and ELF have never killed one single person.
You don't have to kill people to be a terrorist.

Terrorism -noun

the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.

Which is exactly what they HAVE done.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #3711
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
I eat animals. I agree with using them to further medical science. I do not believe in abusing animals.
Uhm, yah. okay.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 06-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #3712
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
Uhm, yah. okay.
Are you argeeing with me or just being a dumbass? Abusing animals is not the same as learning from them through science.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #3713
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
Are you argeeing with me or just being a dumbass? Abusing animals is not the same as learning from them through science.
I'm being a dumbass.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 06-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #3714
Stormtrooper of Death

Has anyone watched that Whale Wars show on Animal Planet. Yeah, if you really want to stop the Japanese whaling fleet you're going to need more than flares and a 37 year old boat.
Stormtrooper of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #3715
Grausamkeit

Quote:
I'm being a dumbass.
I understand the want to help the cute little animals. At one time I felt the same way. But the truth is that we wouldn't have the types of lives we live in this day and age without animals and their valuable contribution to science. Hell, even music(ivory piano keys, cat gut violin strings) and corsetry(whalebone) wouldn't have been the same! If not for the medicines that we take(both Rx and over-the-counter) we wouldn't be as comfortable as we are. Think about the gelatin used to coat things like capsules and aspirin next time you reach for headache relief. If you go vegan, is it ethical to use anything that we currently use to keep ourselves healthy or to make ourselves feel better?

Quote:
Has anyone watched that Whale Wars show on Animal Planet. Yeah, if you really want to stop the Japanese whaling fleet you're going to need more than flares and a 37 year old boat.
Isn't it LEGAL for them to hunt a certain number of whales each year? Seems pretty shitty if they are keeping people from doing something legal.

ETA~ Let me just state that I do not think people are stupid because they want animals to be treated humanely, we all want that. There are ethical standards(and have been for years) for how animals can be treated for biochemical research. I am personally against fur because the animals in the past have normally been raised for their fur and killed without using their meat or any other product from the animal(well, there is also mink oil with minks, but I digress). Inuits still eat bear meat and seal meat if they hunt them. I believe that if an animal is to be eaten that we should use as much of it as possible(the bones, skin, fur, organs).

Old 06-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #3716
Stormtrooper of Death

Quote:
I understand the want to help the cute little animals. At one time I felt the same way. But the truth is that we wouldn't have the types of lives we live in this day and age without animals and their valuable contribution to science. Hell, even music(ivory piano keys, cat gut violin strings) and corsetry(whalebone) wouldn't have been the same! If not for the medicines that we take(both Rx and over-the-counter) we wouldn't be as comfortable as we are. Think about the gelatin used to coat things like capsules and aspirin next time you reach for headache relief. If you go vegan, is it ethical to use anything that we currently use to keep ourselves healthy or to make ourselves feel better?

Isn't it LEGAL for them to hunt a certain number of whales each year? Seems pretty shitty if they are keeping people from doing something legal.
It is for research, but the anti-whaling people are saying the Japanese are using research as a cover for regular whale killing.
Stormtrooper of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #3717
Grausamkeit

Hmmm, do these 'anti-whaling people' have any proof that would stand up in court? If not then they are in the wrong, in my view.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #3718
honeythorn

Sharks are also hunted, and only the dorsal fin used ( I don't recall which culture does this, it may be the Japanese but I'm not certain ) . The rest gets chucked back into the sea which is pure insanity, as a shark is a powerful fish with a hell of a lot of muscle which is effectively solid meat and I would guess, not too unlike Tuna or Swordfish in texture and presumably taste ( as they are also large predatory fish with big solid bodies full of muscle )

There is no logical reason not to eat the rest of it, you could feed a few families for a week on what you could get off a decent sized shark.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #3719
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
Sharks are also hunted, and only the dorsal fin used ( I don't recall which culture does this, it may be the Japanese but I'm not certain ) . The rest gets chucked back into the sea which is pure insanity, as a shark is a powerful fish with a hell of a lot of muscle which is effectively solid meat and I would guess, not too unlike Tuna or Swordfish in texture and presumably taste ( as they are also large predatory fish with big solid bodies full of muscle )

There is no logical reason not to eat the rest of it, you could feed a few families for a week on what you could get off a decent sized shark.
Sharks are some good eatin'! We ate a fair few growing up when my uncles used to do offshore fishing(black tip sharks and stingray, stingray is gross). Shark tastes kind of like chicken.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #3720
Alan

Quote:
You don't have to kill people to be a terrorist.

Terrorism -noun

the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.

Which is exactly what they HAVE done.
Violence to whom? Private property? That's a very shitty reason to be pissed off at an organization.
real classy
Old 06-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #3721
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Violence to whom? Private property? That's a very shitty reason to be pissed off at an organization.
And that's a lame defense. Bombing private peoperty, threatening the lives of scientists who do animal research, and sending letter bombs...these are not all acts of terrorism? They sure fit the definition.

I'm not pissed off by them, I just don't like them. Fuck them.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #3722
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
Sharks are some good eatin'! We ate a fair few growing up when my uncles used to do offshore fishing(black tip sharks and stingray, stingray is gross). Shark tastes kind of like chicken.
So you really think that all the time, effort, and suffering, of killing sharks is worth the pleasure of a 30 minute or less meal?

Bring Kontan Back
Old 06-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #3723
Grausamkeit

Quote:
So you really think that all the time, effort, and suffering, of killing sharks is worth the pleasure of a 30 minute or less meal?
They do not suffer. Sharks are killed as soon as they are caught. Do you get mad at lions, bears or alligators for eating meat, too?

Old 06-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #3724
Alan

And who has sent letter bombs?
real classy
Old 06-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #3725
Alan

Quote:
They do not suffer. Sharks are killed as soon as they are caught.
That's just a downright lie. The method is catching them, cutting off their fins, and throwing them back into the ocean. They eventually drown. Where are you even getting your information?
real classy