Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
PortraitOfSanity

Twilight of the Thunder God

Dunno if any of you are into Amon Amarth, but if you are, I'm interested in your opinion of the new album. I've seen a lot of varying opinions online. I've been listening to it a lot, and consider it one of their best.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:59 AM   #2
JCC

Amon Amarth are old dependable. Never faltering in their style, never changing it in fact, you can always expect good stuff from them but once you've got one record you don't need the rest.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
PortraitOfSanity

I beg to differ, they've really gone for a more melodic sound on the new one. Especially compared to their old stuff, it's a lot less "brutal", and it suits them a lot better, I think.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:35 AM   #4
transylvanian_hunger

I haven't heard their new album but yes I'm a fan & intend to pick up the album this weekend if it's in store. On the topic of their sound changing ~ personally I think their sound has become a tad bit more accessible than their older material, example: compare albums "Once Sent From The Golden Hall" with "With Oden on Our Side".
transylvanian_hunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #5
PortraitOfSanity

I hate the word "accessible" when people use it in regards to melodeath. It implies that a band is changing to a more melodic sound simply to sell more records, it's kind of silly really. Who would ever think that a band would change to a new sound, simply because they like it. Fucking shocking.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
JCC

I wouldn't even say that a change in direction has made it more accessible to anyone anyway, it's more likely that the better production as they've become more successful makes their stuff easier to listen to.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:02 AM   #7
Metabolik

Got their new album a week ago, pretty fuckin awesome if you ask me.
I like the title track best, and Varyags Of Miklagaard is a pretty awesome song too.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #8
biohazard

Its a pretty good Album. I saw them live on their "Twilight of the Thunder God tour" with Ensiferum, Belphegor, and The Abscence. They were very awesome live, and my favorite song from this album that they played live was "Guardians of Asgard". I headbanged to it so much my neck hurt for about a week after the concert.