Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #4151
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
Why did you have to go and start paying him the attention he craves? Everyone else was just scrolling over his lame attempts to pique interest/invite questions, no doubt with a nonplussed finger on the mouse wheel, then you have to go and engage him. You people never fucking learn.
I'm sorry, I've been trying to shrug it off but I failed......I didn't want to have to, but I finally put him on ignore... SORRY

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #4152
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
I'm really getting pissed about the direction DC comics is taking with their heroes. First, they came up with an alternate time-line in which Wonder Woman never grew up on an island among Amazons but instead in a gritty, urban setting where she doesn't dress like a superhero. While that ship may right itself in time, it's annoying to think this was the most creative, interesting thing to do with this character ... denying all of her iconic history.

Now they have some storyline where Superman is not flying. He's walking across the country in some kind of attempt to find solidarity with us normal mortals.

I don't even want to talk about what they're doing to Batman right now.

Why is DC embarrassed to have their superheroes appear ... well, super?

*sonovabitch*
Unashamed, balls-to-the-walls fantasy has gone way out of fashion, in a nutshell. It's apparent in films like the new Robin Hood, remarkable displays of impossible feats delivered with a light-hearted self-awareness have been exchanged for dark settings and GRITTY REALISM. It might be that how seriously culture takes itself simply exists in a growing bubble, and when we reach the apex of humourlessness that bubble will burst and we'll have superheroes again. Until then we have to put up with the vast swamp of fantasy reworkings that try their utmost to be completely pedestrian.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #4153
Ben Lahnger

I HATE GRITTY REALISM.

Thank you, JCC. That was well stated.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #4154
Alan

There was an old man picking up cans and going through a big bag of dog food some neighbors threw out. I immediately ran home to see what I could find bu I only found an apple, tuna, and a bottle of water. I also had twenty pesos in my pocket so I gave them to him.
He looked so grateful and happy with just that, but it wasn't enough. He's a human being and it's 105 F outside, and I'm inside with a fan turned to the max.
I feel like shit.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #4155
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by carakitty View Post
Fruitbat- Your cat wears nappies? :o Has it been checked out by a Veterinarian to see what the cause is for needing a nappy and to see if surgery could help repair what ever damage has been done?

Thanks to having older siblings and parents who tell stories, I was fully prepared for the possibility of poo painting. Thank God my daughter has never done it!
carakitty - no nappies needed for the cat - although she has always laid down on the nappy change table, and I've threatened her with putting one on her if she didn't move her lazy cat butt. She's too good natured and extremely tolerant with toddler. And she hasn't had any poo on her yet

Ben *scrubs wonder woman off a list of career options - no way. WW comes from island of Amazons. Full stop. Period.
Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #4156
DRM

I failed my drivers test for THE THIRD TIME because of my freaking panicing!
D;
Ah dammit!
If I hadn't started shaking I could have backed up correctly!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #4157
Still Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM View Post
I failed my drivers test for THE THIRD TIME because of my freaking panicing!
D;
Ah dammit!
If I hadn't started shaking I could have backed up correctly!
Think of a car as an extension of your body. Learn its flaws and strengths. Try and loosen up a little but keep your focus at the same time. Oh yeah, and try and forget about the instructor.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #4158
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
There was an old man picking up cans and going through a big bag of dog food some neighbors threw out. I immediately ran home to see what I could find bu I only found an apple, tuna, and a bottle of water. I also had twenty pesos in my pocket so I gave them to him.
He looked so grateful and happy with just that, but it wasn't enough. He's a human being and it's 105 F outside, and I'm inside with a fan turned to the max.
I feel like shit.

“If each man or woman could understand that every other human life is as full of sorrows, or joys, or base temptations, of heartaches and of remorse as his own . . . how much kinder, how much gentler he would be.”

It always breaks my heart when I see a homeless person. I mean you never know the reason as to how they got there...or if it could ever happen you.
Just the other day I saw a guy and girl...about my age on the side of the street...both nothing but skin and bones and the girl was about 6 months pregnant...she had sores and cuts on her legs... I just had no idea what to think at that moment... I haven't seen them since...so maybe they got helped out. I know it's worse in Mexico though...especially as far as children go, I can't handle seeing 3 year olds with no shoes and cuts all over them. Whenever I went to Durango with my stepdads family, we would go to the shopping are "el centro" well this little girl came up to my stepdad asking for food. But she didn't have any shoes on. So he took her into a shoe store and bought her a pair. When we came out her "apparent" father grabbed her by the arm and made her take the shoes off...and went into the store to get the money back and left. My dad looked like he was about to kill him...but maybe they needed food or something... I dunno... it's just sad.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 08-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #4159
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I feel like shit.
I was going to post about boy troubles but this makes it seem trivial now.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #4160
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
I'm really getting pissed about the direction DC comics is taking with their heroes. First, they came up with an alternate time-line in which Wonder Woman never grew up on an island among Amazons but instead in a gritty, urban setting where she doesn't dress like a superhero. While that ship may right itself in time, it's annoying to think this was the most creative, interesting thing to do with this character ... denying all of her iconic history.

Now they have some storyline where Superman is not flying. He's walking across the country in some kind of attempt to find solidarity with us normal mortals.

I don't even want to talk about what they're doing to Batman right now.

Why is DC embarrassed to have their superheroes appear ... well, super?

*sonovabitch*
I actually think this is completely wrong, as far as larger trends are concerned. While certain writers, like Bendis and Ennis, still seem to maintain that the quality of a superhero comic is directly proportional to its mundanity, I think, on the whole, gleeful whimsy is the flavor of the week, especially at DC. Did you read fucking Final Crisis? Wherein Batman shoots Darkseid with a god-killing bullet just as, at the end of creation, an army of Supermen confront a reality-destroying LITERAL VAMPIRE, which is ultimately killed when the Green Lanterns drive a stake into its heart just in time for Superman to rebuild reality by wishing on a wish-granting Miracle Machine? What about Blackest Night, wherein red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet Lanterns must join forces to defeat the evil black Lanterns?
Yes, at the present time Superman is walking through America or what the fuck ever, but he was galavanting around New Krypton just weeks ago. I can only imagine you don't want to discuss Batman because doing so would totally defeat your point, given that Grant Morrison has reintegrated that character's mythos with Silver Age concepts that were thought 'too silly' for the last sixty years. Bruce Wayne is battling his way through fucking time right now.
I guess they rebooted Wonder Woman, but can you blame them? No one reads Wonder Woman.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #4161
vindicatedxjin

I am so frustrated.......................soooooooooooooo frustrated. I'm ready to move out of this fucking house...

Bring Kontan Back
Old 08-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #4162
Saya

Dtmfa!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #4163
vindicatedxjin

I know you're gonna keep telling me that... -_-

It's SO COMPLICATED.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 08-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #4164
Saya

What can I say, its my solution to everything.

"I'm late on bills! I know, I'll DTMFA!"

I admittedly suck at relationships.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #4165
Still Jack

My theory on people that are good at relationships: Clingy fuckers, like dingleberries, quite amusing at first, but quite annoying after a while.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #4166
vindicatedxjin

Dingleberries???

Bring Kontan Back
Old 08-07-2010, 01:23 AM   #4167
d0p3y

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
“If each man or woman could understand that every other human life is as full of sorrows, or joys, or base temptations, of heartaches and of remorse as his own . . . how much kinder, how much gentler he would be.”

It always breaks my heart when I see a homeless person. I mean you never know the reason as to how they got there...or if it could ever happen you.
Just the other day I saw a guy and girl...about my age on the side of the street...both nothing but skin and bones and the girl was about 6 months pregnant...she had sores and cuts on her legs... I just had no idea what to think at that moment... I haven't seen them since...so maybe they got helped out. I know it's worse in Mexico though...especially as far as children go, I can't handle seeing 3 year olds with no shoes and cuts all over them. Whenever I went to Durango with my stepdads family, we would go to the shopping are "el centro" well this little girl came up to my stepdad asking for food. But she didn't have any shoes on. So he took her into a shoe store and bought her a pair. When we came out her "apparent" father grabbed her by the arm and made her take the shoes off...and went into the store to get the money back and left. My dad looked like he was about to kill him...but maybe they needed food or something... I dunno... it's just sad.
use to see this all of the time in mexico, I thank vin for actually reminding me how lucky i am, it's been 12 years since i've been there. She paints an incredibly vivid picture to me. I believe that people in mexico are so accustumed to seeing this sort of thing from childhood that it actually creates 'adults' that are accustumed or maybe even numb to others pain which would account for much of the violence in my dear country (just a though)...

"No todo es blanco o negro, es gris todo depende del matiz..."
(Mago de oz)

"your life does not belong to you, it belongs to the people that love you."
(incognito)

"laying to ones self, is laying to the world"
(incognito)

"El que por su gusto muere, hasta la muerte le sabe."
(incognito)
d0p3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:50 AM   #4168
Fruitbat

Alan - at least you did what you could do and that's better than nothing.

I hate house-hunting. I really hate it.
Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #4169
emeraldlonewoulf

Alan - what you did will help that man more than you will ever know. The food and water will help him for a day. The recognition as a human being, a smile, a willingness to speak, that king of thing builds something else, something far more valuable than air conditioning, or even shelter.

There is no way you can ever fill every belly, or shelter every person from the heat. But, that other thing, I don't even know what to call it, that is something that helps people to develop the motivation to change their situation.

That indefinable something is what helps people turn "I can't" into "I can". It is the "I can" in people that makes it possible for them to succeed, to get to a point where they can obtain food by simply walking into a store to buy it, or renting a place to stay. All the given food and shelter in the world can't do that.

It is why soup kitchens and such sometimes end up feeding the same people for years. That "something" is missing from them. That "something" is provided when one human being helps another, directly. Of course, I am not against soup kitchens or food banks. There have been times in my life where I have been very greatful for their existence. But that direct, person-to-person kind of help, is worth so much more. When you are on the recieving end of that kind of help, the kind of help you extended, it builds a feeling of self worth, a feeling that an actual, indivdual person thinks you are worth something. Even once, that can be life changing in a way no organized charity can ever be.

Take it from someone who knows.

Thank you.

question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
(shouts) WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??!!?
answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
Because some people are dicks. And not everyone else is gay.
emeraldlonewoulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #4170
The Divine Ms. M

Worst...b-day...ever...what a great start to my new natal yr...

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh you ca'n't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here."-from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

"A real friend will stab you in the front."-licence plate frame a friend & I saw
Please read My Blog!
The Divine Ms. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #4171
MollyMac

Yeah, well... welcome to Omelas, bitches.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #4172
ape descendant

Its been a long day, not bad, just long. worried about a friend and such.. however am home now and beer seems to take the edge off quite nicely... mmm juice of the barley.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #4173
Alan

You make one excel spreadsheet of Mario in the office and suddenly you're a hardcore fan of Super Mario.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #4174
Ben Lahnger

Saturday night my SO's youngest daughter and her new boyfriend (they've been dating for a couple months) came over and announced they'd gotten engaged. That seemed fast, but she'd known him for a while before they started dating, so I decided to be accepting (I like the guy fine; he's an illegal immigrant but he's holding down 2 jobs and in college) even though I know the girl to be impulsive.

So I congratulated them and said I was looking forward to getting to know him. But I still had concerns, especially as the girl has always had to have the affection of many friends and the attention of one boy or another as a band-aid rather than deal with the internal root causes of her self-esteem issues.

So then Sunday they announce that they found an apartment and moved in together that day.

And today she sends me a text message saying she will be getting married at city hall on Saturday and would like me to attend.

I want to tell her that it's too fast and there's no reason for shorting themselves out of the joys and benefits of spending a little time being engaged before they get married, and I want to tell her that I don't believe in love at first sight but I do believe in hormones and infatuation and the impulsiveness of youth. I know she'll just get mad. Her mother has asked me to not say anything.

So I'm not saying anything and not replying to her text message.

ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #4175
JCC

Fuck that, you don't have to be harsh with her but marriage isn't something that you enter into lightly. She's a romanticist, and that always ends badly. As one of the responsible adults in her life you should at least be guiding her in decisions of such magnitude and your partner should feel the same way; even if it leads to an argument you shouldn't sit back and watch her rush into such a big decision without advising her otherwise. What next, when they become husband and wife are they going to start considering children? These are life-changing decisions and frankly it sounds like she isn't taking it very seriously.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote