Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
Miss_Hazie_Lane

It's Ok To Dress Goth If...

Ok, I've noticed rather a startling number of threads along the lines of "Can I be goth if I'm fat/ugly/of African descent/skinny/short/paralyzed/one eyed/a monster/have bad skin/missing a hand/a Siamese twin/king of Prussia?"

And I was thinking, that it needs to be cleared up that, yes, even if you are the space mutant zombie king of Prussia you can be goth... actually if you were the space mutant zombie king of Prussia... you'd probably get extra goth points.

However, I'm trying to make a serious point. Goth is about being spooky/morbid/macabre what have you, and you don't have to be a size two beauty queen to be spooky. There are fat goths. There are skinny goths. There are goth body builders. You can be a goth no matter how you happen to be shaped. The gothic subculture is one of the most physically accepting. Most of it doesn't judge people on factors like weight, beauty, race, what have you.

The wonderful thing about goth is you can be spooky pretty much no matter what you look like. Garments can be found to flatter any body shape.

Victorian, fifties pinup wear or 18th century garments (with proper under pinnings, as corsets give excellent support to a full bust) for more curvaceous ladies, making them look pleasingly ample rather than shapeless, and giving them the look of a "voluptuous demoness"
Plus size cyber girls can rock tops that show off their assets, and still be sexy (always make sure you buy good lingerie, esp if you are of a curvier build, get yourself fitted for a bra in a department store, and always try on before you buy) Also it is very important to wear clothes that are not baggy as they merely hide your shape (which is probably quite feminine in nature) and make one look blocky or blobbish

The boyish and wraith thin female has no problem finding gothic attire either, she can be a twenties vamp, or a consumptive Victorian maiden, or a survivor of a nuclear apocalypse. You should make sure your clothes are not too baggy on you as that makes on look rather too "dressed in a sack"-ish and flatter your figure (be careful about things being baggy through the bust)

Girls of an athletic build tend to look good in late 18th century shift dressed, and tighter more modern clothing that shows off their toned muscles.

Heavier males tend to look best going for tough rather than fouffy and romantic. I'm sorry but that crushed velvet shirt is unlikely to flatter you. If you want to go for historic, think less mopey poet and more black knight. Again, make sure your clothing is neither too baggy or too tight, as these are both especially unflattering. Take care to buy pants that are tailored but not skin tight. You can pull off spikes, leather and all that far more convincingly than your lither counter parts. If you are heavier, but perhaps want something more civilized the victorian again offers good choices. Think in this case proffessorial. Cultivate facial hair perhaps, and invest in suits cut in an archaic style, pocket watches, and waistcoats give one an air of dignity, and if done right can give one a rather "mad scientist" air, also although velvet shirts and leather pants are not the most flattering, priestly attire is reccomended highly for you, if pulled off with the right quality of malevolence can be just the ticket.

Slimmer goth boys, especially those of a more petite build often have it easier in the "romantic" and "cyber" catagory. If you are androgynous in appearance it's all the better. You, my friend are the one that poet's shirt was intended for (although Miss Hazel does not recommend crushed velvet shirts to anyone, velvet is far better as a material for a jacket, or dress) when it comes to cyber goth, tight pants are your friend, you may not be the most "built" guy, but there are plenty of goth girls (and boys) who find you attractive just as you are.

Muscular goth fellows look excelent in cyber outfits, and dressed as victorian gentleman. It is a good idea to avoid women's clothing for you though, as you are likely broader through the chest and will come off as comedic rather than waifish.

Though I believe it is important to note that as a goth boy in general it is important to make sure you do something with your hair. I often see young goth boys going about with either ill kept, or unstyled manes.

So to digress for a moment, although you can be a goth with any color hair, or any haircut, I think it contributes immensely to a look to have good (and particularly gothy) hair.

Dying the hair is often a good idea, as it livens things up a bit by making somewhat indefinite colors "pop" more.

Here are a few suggestions if you don't want to do anything too harsh to your hair:

Dark hair (light to dark brown): Dye it or tint it a bit darker (if it's very dark already you can dye it black, it will likely suit you very well) If you have warm toned skin (golden undertones) you will look best with a browner back, if your skin has blue undertones a blue black will suit you best.

Red hair: Red hair can be very, vey goth. You can brighten it with a semi-permanent dye, or a color gloss to acheive a more extreme look. If your skin is cool toned, but not ruddy a cool blue red will suit you best, but if your skin has a bit more yellow to it an orange red will look best. Henna can be a good and gentle way to achieve a brighter color

Fair (blonde, to very pale strawberry blonde): If your hair is blond you have loads of options. FIrst of all, you will not need to lighten hair as much, or at all to acheive vibrant results, you can color your hair any unnatural color you want to, without nearly as much damage. If you are golden tressed by all means use a color gloss to enhance this, long blond hair on a male or female can be quite entrancing. Another option is to lighten it, if your hair is a darker blonde or a middling sort that you aren't fond of, you can lighten it to acheive platinum blonde or white, which are both very gothy colors.

As you can see, I am not terribly fond of light brown hair on goths, and I do have a reason for this, with the black clothing it tends to look a bit washed out, so if you are light brown haired, and either do not wish to dye, or cannot dye your hair, I would recommend wearing a bit more color (Eg: black pants red top, etc, so that you remain defined)

Style:

While long straight hair is all well and good, it is very important to maintain it, and make sure that it flatters you and doesn't just hang there. One shouldn't wash one's hair too frequently, once or twice a week is the best for the hair if you can manage to wait, and one must condition afterwards (if one has fun hair just condition the ends, and use a light weight conditioner, like aussie 3 minute miracle) frequent trims are important to prevent split ends and maintain a nice looking mane. If your hair is very long and fine it will often be somewhat lacking in volume and interest, layering can combat this problem, and on males can differentiate one from the herds of goth boys with long blunt cut hair. If ones hair is wavy or curly, wearing it long is a particularly good idea as it makes it less likely to be pouffy and unmanageable. Long hair is a good choice for pretty much any sort of goth, though if you are long faced layering around the face can prevent it from dragging everything down and making you look more long faced than you would like.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
Miss_Hazie_Lane

Shorter and teased, a very classic goth look. All it takes is aquanet and a comb. A word of caution on this, those of larger builds might want to avoid this look as it draws comparisons between oneself and Robert Smith, though if one has longer hair one wishes to add volume too, teasing can look very nice. The wild bird's nest look is particularly suited to the slim and androgynous sort of goth, especially if there are enamored of 1980's gothic fashion with it's torn up victoriana, and ankhs.

Spiky: Spikes can be a very good thing, or a very bad thing. If one has a big forehead it will not be the most flattering to create spikes all the way to the hairline as it merely makes ones forehead look larger, instead spike the back and sides, and leave a bit of fringe in the front (be careful with this as it can look a bit too emo, although I don't think Emo kids as a rule have very bad hair) if done with certain haircuts this can also bring unfavorable comparison to frat boys who are frequently seen with their hair gelled into more modest spikes

Dreads: Long down the back dreadfalls suit just about any type of goth (except for victorian) and people of any build, except for more petite males, and females who are a bit on the short side. In the case of these two catagories shorter shoulder length pigtail type falls are more flattering as in the case of the shorter females it adds length to the body, and in the case of slimmer males short dread falls do not overwhelm the body so much.

Makeup:

Eyeliner: Pencil and liquid are both fine (though i think mac fluid line with a mac 208 brush is ideal) and both take practice.

Also if you are the type of goth who enjoys wearing large swirly eyemakeup, please use liquid liner. It is also very important if you are going to wear large swirly eyemakeup (as it tends to look unfinished without a base on, and base protects the eyeliner from the oils of the skin which can cause it to migrate), or gothic makeup in general to invest in a good foundation that match (or nearly matches) your skin tone. I like mineral powders best as they are the best for the skin, and do not cause breakouts or irritation, and remember to blend.

If you wish to wear a lot of eyeshadow, it's important that it look blended and neat. Gothic makeup is often dramatic, and when ill executed can look very silly. brushes are the best way to apply shadow, as they allow much more when it comes to layering and blending of color than sponge applicators.

A word on lipstick: Black lipstick is not a crime... unless it's badly done, in which case it very much is. Wear a lipliner under it (so that it doesn't smudge) a mac waterproof eyeliner works fine for this, and use a lipbrush so that it looks tidy. Also if your hair is brown it is not flattering to wear black lipstick as it washes you out. Amanda palmer is an excellent example of makeup for a brown haired goth (although I don't recommend white face to anyone who is not a trained professional) she manages to look very dramatic, without overusing black and thus washing herself out.

Not to mention that you have loads of options besides black, you can wear any color you wish, blue, red, pink (yes I said pink), purple, whatever, you can wear it. One note one blue/green/purple type colors: Again use a lipliner as a base to get the proper coverage as you don't want pink showing through)

But in the end of course, you have a right to do anything you want, I merely wrote this little guide as a way of suggesting items that might particularly flatter particular colorings and figures, since there really is something that will work wonderfully for everyone
Old 12-13-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
Solumina

wow, so I didn't read past the second paragraph (its nearing the end of finals week my brain is nonfunctional) but that part was quite true and very well said
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
Miss_Hazie_Lane

Thank you very much
Old 12-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
DepthsofSpace

*begins the slow clap*

Excellently put, Madam! Lots of good ideas and points. Bravo!

I'm certainly going to consider a few. I'm a very thin, Romanti' inclined, dark-brown haired fellow who is just getting into Gothic fashion.

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:38 PM   #6
Delkaetre

Redheads can also, depending on how their hair is, leave it natural- mine's entirely natural and reaches down to my waist. It attracts much attention and many compliments at goth clubs because it's so unusual and in good condition.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
Miss_Hazie_Lane

Very true, that advice was intended for girls who's hair is a less vibrant shade of red. Though brightening red hair (or darkening brunette) can be done with either no or very little damage to the hair henna is actually good for the hair (as long as it has not been recently color treated with a non henna dye) or a hair color gloss which as a semi permanent dye process which coats the hair protecting it from damage and adding shine.

To Depths of Space: Thank you very much, feel free to Im me at madammewmew on aim if you need any more advice
Old 12-13-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
Miss_Hazie_Lane

Oh, and I forgot to add my little aside on Goths who aren't Caucasian. So, here we go:
As I said in the beginning you don't have to be white (in the skin tone, or racial sense) to be goth. I'm going to separate these suggestions based on race, this is not a measure of segregation, so much as a measure of practicality as possible skin tones/hair color/hair texture etc vary based on race, and I don't want to have a generic hints and tips for all goths who don't happen to be of Caucasian descent.

Ok, to start out with,

Goths of African Descent: Let me start by saying, one of the terms for people of African Descent is black... and what could possibly be gother than being black? So, first off, don't battle your skin tone. This doesn't mean I'm saying don't even it out, feel free to wear foundation, but let's be realistic here. It's not a good idea for you to wear white foundation in an attempt to make your skin paler. You'll have to wear it on every inch of exposed skin, and it will be incredibly hard to get on evenly. Instead, I suggest, that the goth aesthetic is not so much about jet black hair, and pale skin, than about contrast. If your skin is very, very dark it may be hard to find a foundation that matches you. However, instead of the normal goth rule of thumb of a shade or two lighter than ones skin tone, I suggest either one that matches perfectly (as I think dark skin can be absolutely beautiful), or here's a novel thought, is a shade or two darker. I am not suggesting you wear jet black foundation (as that would be similarly hard to get on even) although if one could pull it off, I do think it would look really cool, but instead darkening the skin tone slightly will allow for more dramatic contrast. Also, you have a lot of options with your hair, first of all your hair dreads beautifully, which is a wonderful asset. I personally think there's something really sexy about really long dreads (though white people's real hair almost never dreads well), some other suggestions I have are, bright jewel tones, which look amazing with darker skin, for these I would probably recommends not using your real hair, as African hair is somewhat fragile and prone to breakage. Instead falls, extensions, or wigs are excellent options for achieving this look without having to bleach which is exceptionally drying. My next suggestion would also be best suited to the use of extensions, and hair peices, white hair. White hair against dark skin provides a similar contrast to black hair on fair skin, not to mention being far more unusual and unearthly looking. My last suggestion is a hairstyle I don't think anyone has ever considered goth before, but would adapt very well, the afro. It's similar to the "aquanet and teasing comb" look so many goths sport, and is I think, a very flattering hairstyle on a lot of people.

Makeup (beyond foundation): Again, goth is about contrast, not about black eyeliner on pale skin, so instead of black eyeliner (which won't show up well) I suggest as substitute, silver or white. It will also make your eyes look larger which is always nice. Black mascara is a good idea as it will make your lashes pop against bright or light eye makeup.
Also you're likely blessed with an amazing bone structure (people of African descent often have the most amazing cheekbones, and jaw lines)
Some gorgeous Colors:http://www.sephora.com/browse/article.jhtml?id=711302

Beautiful Bright Eyepencil Here:
http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...dPaginate=true

Sephora Brand makes some lovely silver shadows: http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...egoryId=711302

For lipstick I suggest more traditional goth lip colors, plum, deep red, etc, but a silver lip could work beautifully as well.

Clothing: Black is sexy on you, however consider white, silver, grey bright colors (jewel tone purple, hot pink, bright blue, emerald green, whatever colors you like) since this may not seem goth enough to you, black of course is still an option, as well accessorizing with skulls, chains, crosses, ankhs etc can bring a gothic edge to even the most brightly colored ensemble. If you fear wearing color will make you seem to "perky" stick to blood red, deep purple, and white, as well as silver, and black.
Some Lovely Foundations Can Be Found Here: http://www.fyrinnae.com/index.php?cP...5bd5630bf208b3

Asians:
Basically, my message for you is, don't fuck with what nature gave you. Asian hair is perfect goth hair, it's silky, and black and gorgeous. , and I repeat do not fuck with it. So I suggest wearing your hair long, and not bleaching it. Asian skin also tends to be gorgeous, and is often pale, so don't go wearing halloween makeup, and take good care of your skin. If you're having trouble finding a foundation that matches you, Shiseido makes nice ones.

People of Latin descent & American Indians (I'm making this a single catagory as the hair texture/hair colors/skin tones are similar:
Again, gorgeous silky dark hair. and frequently beautiful skin. Again jewel tones are wonderful. Since your skin is likely a neutral tone, it can be hard to get the drama you want. Dark berry lips, and gold toned eyeshadows are particularly appealing. Rich colors look lovey on you.

Again none of these are meant as never/always sorts of things, but merely suggestions to help people out.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #9
electrosexual

Whoa.

Seriously, thanks.

I've actually learnt so much from that!

Three Cheers for Miss Hazie Lane!
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #10
Miss_Hazie_Lane

Hehe, you're sweet. If anyone needs help at makeup, that's where I have the most knowledge, as I'm a professional makeup artist
Old 12-13-2007, 04:46 PM   #11
ForgetThisLostLenore

Seriously? You're amazing and my new role model, who I will stalk forever... I kid, I kid. Have any good eyeliner tips? Mine tends to run a little by the end of the day, and sometimes just black eyeliner gets boring.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:56 PM   #12
electrosexual

Oh and any way to stop liquid eyeliner from running? or are there any good brands of it? >_> THANK YOU!!
Old 12-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #13
ForgetThisLostLenore

I suck at putting liquid eyeliner on. I use pencil. I have really pale skin, which is a plus, but it's ruined by having acne. My hair's awful too, it waves all over the place and is really quite fuzzy a lot of the time.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:05 PM   #14
Miss_Hazie_Lane

Liquid liner under your eyes is pretty much destined to run, however you can set a pencil with a black powder eyeshadow applied with a fine tipped brush. Or simply use a waterproof pencil (mac makes a nice one) also cream eyeliner that sets often works well (mac fluid line) and as for colored eyeliner, try blue, forest green, or purple. I'd recommend Rimmel pencils for this as they're cheap if you find you don't like the color.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:07 PM   #15
electrosexual

ooOOOo! I shall try that indeed. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2007, 05:08 PM   #16
DepthsofSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Hazie_Lane
Asians:
Basically, my message for you is, don't fuck with what nature gave you. Asian hair is perfect goth hair, it's silky, and black and gorgeous. , and I repeat do not fuck with it.
*begins laughing out loud*

That was hillarious!

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:19 PM   #17
Miss_Hazie_Lane

It's true though, my boyfriend is part Asian and has the most gorgeous hair... and he wants to bleach it blond... and I must say I don't approve of that idea at all
Old 12-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #18
wonderland

It's like Gothic Charm School all over again! Very cute. I know "Am I goth if..." questions are simply requests for reassurance, but they do get a bit grating after a while.
wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:14 PM   #19
Duane

Hm, that was a very excellent read, thank you, Miss_Hazie.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:26 PM   #20
Miss_Hazie_Lane

Thank you very much, I maintain a blog where I will answer any questions given me: http://bohemianizationfetish.blogspot.com/

To Send in questions: Glittertrashwhore at gmail dot com
Old 12-13-2007, 10:28 PM   #21
Nevan

Hmm, this is almost like a fashion how-to bible! Thanks for the great advice

Alas! Must it ever be so?
Do we stand in our own light, wherever we go,
And fight our own shadows forever?
- Edward Bulwer-Lytton
Nevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:04 PM   #22
Miss_Hazie_Lane

hehe, well let's just say a hundred or so issues of vogue, several costume history courses, a lot of goth watching, and a decent eye may have paid off.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:43 AM   #23
~Oblivion~

it is very useful indeed, change the mindset of others that its alright to wear goth if you are fat and etc.. Im very relieved after reading your thread.

Arigatou Gozaimasu~~
~Oblivion~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:52 AM   #24
Miss_Hazie_Lane

You're very welcome ^_^ goth is about self expression, all you have to be is yoursef
Old 12-14-2007, 10:02 AM   #25
Miss_Hazie_Lane

*yourself, thrice accursed L key