Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:43 AM   #126
Legacy of Wulf

I don't limit myself to certain types of music. If I like it, I like it, plain and simple. Largely, my choice in music at the moment is entirely dependant on my mood, or even where I am at the moment. I always find it hard to list off bands I like just because there's so damn many. Everything from old school Metallica, System of a Down, hed(PE), Reveille, Rasputina, Bella Morte, Assemblage 23, Electric Hellfire Club, Jack Off Jill, Mindless Self Indulgence... the list just goes on and on.

To be perfectly honest, I think that Sean Paul has some fun songs.
Legacy of Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:32 AM   #127
happy_dude

Location: I'm underneath the sink, now what do you think, living under my sink?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekajo
i don't see why music has to always "mean" something. Or why if someone says they just like a song...because it sounds good, some people snub their nose and think themselves high and mighty cause...they only listen to sociopolitical meaningful stuff...

...fuck, sometimes i just want to put on some "booty bling" music, grab a styrofoam cup, fill it up, kick it with a female and let fucking loose. Or rattle the walls with some double bass drum speed metal, jump around, headbang, and...let fucking loose.
When I want mindless I listen to Alien Sex Fiend or Murderdolls they put me in a good mood, Hip hop however does not. Everynow and then I do listen to KanYe West and Scribe (A few of my friends like hip hop so might aswell listen to some so I can form an educated opinion).

Can't go wrong with a bit of speed or thrash metal, Slayer and Megadeth (Are quite hard to head bang to, so damn fast)!
Old 06-12-2006, 08:27 AM   #128
wunky

they are similar, in that a lot of mainstream on both sides is crap. my bro's really into original hip hop and, although i don't really like it, the lyrics are amazing.

what really annoys me about mainstream rap is that it views women as sexual objects and contributes towards negative body image by only having skinny, tanned girls with cosmetically enhanced chests in the videos (not the only genre that does this i know, but the only one that coudl put out a whole alvum about it). some of it also glorifies gang culture and violence, which isn't good by any standard.

so there.
wunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:21 AM   #129
spookypurple

I occasionally catch sight of gyrating bone bags on the music channel.

Ick.

Or perhaps I'm just getting old.

Or worse - perhaps I'm turning into my mother.

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:43 AM   #130
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I don't like rap. There was this time period where I did like it. I don't like the old rap, like when it just appeared on the scene, and I don't like any of the newer stuff. But there was the time period I liked it. lIke maybe 2 years ago. I still listen to it occasionally. But I don't make it habit, it's not on my mp3 player, and it's not on any of my playlists on the computer. I get certain memories from listening to certain songs. So rap can be okay, but for the most part, I don't care too much for it.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:35 AM   #131
Engulfed_in_darkness

In my personal opinion I aboslute despise rap with every fiber of my being.
Engulfed_in_darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:58 AM   #132
Alliumphobia

I don't like rap. I don't like the sounds of rappers' voices or the sound the of the weird beats. But if you do like rap, that's fine. People sound extremely stupid when they go on about how their music is the best and how everyhting else sucks and everyone who listens the the sucky music is bad. 'Cause it's not true.

But I am glad that nobody ever disses my Classical and Opera. Because them I would send my avatar, Mr. Bargain, after them. Oh yes, Mr. Bargain would make them pay!
Alliumphobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #133
Circle V

This thread deserves resurrection.

I love me some hip-hop. Most rap is crap, yes, but the same can be said about music in general. The Definitive Jux label puts out some excellent music-- El-P, Aesop Rock, and Rob Sonic in particular.

What thinks the rest?
Old 07-12-2007, 09:11 PM   #134
dreamydancer

In fairness, any genre of music has the potential to be complete crap. I'm tired of hearing people complain about rap music, pretending to be cool or different. Yes, a lot of the mainstream rappers produce nothing but completely tasteless drivel. But find something else to criticize. There's a whole range of exceedingly shitty bands of every style waiting to be flamed.

I myself listen to some old school rap when I've had too much new wave and goth rock. It can be so funny and the lyrics are brilliant.

I just wish I could get that much credit and praise for a tragic lack of talent seeing today's rap 'artists' and what rich undeserving assholes they are.

~Clan of Xymox
dreamydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #135
Circle V

There are still great rap artists out there. Some even flirt with the mainstream...

I've noticed that Cartoon Network's Adult Swim has a strange tendency to produce albums along with indie/underground rappers. MF DOOM and Danger Mouse's 'Dangerdoom' collaboration featured original voices from Adult Swim characters, AS published a free download album from Def Jux artists ('Definitive Swim'), and the 'Chrome Children' CD/DVD is an AS/Stone's Throw collab.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #136
dreamydancer

Yes. Generally to find any decent music you must search outside the charts. But with rap not being my thing I don't care enough to look. Actually, I m not open to new music in general.

~Clan of Xymox
Old 07-12-2007, 10:20 PM   #137
CountSixstring

Rap was started by Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan. If you want to hear the first rap song, hit up "Subterranean Homesick Blues" by Bob Dylan.
CountSixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:31 PM   #138
Minyaliel

I cannot say I know underground rap very well except for some half- forgotten trivia from history of music classes. It never caught on here very much. But from what I have heard, I can only say that I dislike rap and hip hop intensely. It makes me feel angry, for some odd reason. To me it sounds monotonous, boring and, well, it just does not appeal to me. This applies even more so with what's on the charts; that is something I deny the honour of being called music at all, because that is more often than not pure rubbish. I usually am very openminded when it comes to new music, and I never judge a genre or artist before hearing some songs so that I have something to base my opinions on. But rap, hip hop, pop music and EBM are The Genres that I find myself unable to listen to. This is odd, considering the tons of genres and artists that I do like and respect, but it's just a matter of fact. I'd much rather listen to opera non- stop for a month.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:58 PM   #139
dreamydancer

EBM?

It can be a little boring and redundant at times.

~Clan of Xymox
Old 07-13-2007, 11:27 AM   #140
Minyaliel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamydancer
EBM?

It can be a little boring and redundant at times.
Exactly. Also, I've never been much of a fan of techno/ electronica, where it derives from. I mean, sure, some songs that have EBM influences are okay (like some of London After Midnight's stuff), but I prefer music that does not go "thud, thud, bleep, thud."
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 07-13-2007, 01:05 PM   #141
Lapin

Well, I do like some rap/R&B songs, but I've only ever liked ones that put actual effort into their music. (Or were just being funny) A lot of it -is- complete and total rubbish though.

I happen to love opera.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:09 PM   #142
Minyaliel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin
I happen to love opera.
That's great, me too =) (I'd better, considering it's my preferred career path...)
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Old 07-13-2007, 01:56 PM   #143
Corpsey

Wait... you did what Circle? Ugh, I thought this thing had been buried for good so I would never have to look through it all again.

As for now: My opinion hasn't been altered a lot. I'll listen to some gangsta shit sometimes if someone's playing it at a house party I go to, but when I listen to something that I want to enjoy and relax, it won't be anything by Lil John. Or... that fuckface who keeps singing songs about women bouncing to "Make a nigga want it.."

Good grief. That line there pretty much says it. Such music that people dance to for hook-ups just puts me off. Most rap or hiphop I've listened to seems to be made specifically for that demographic: Horny people who want to move to something to pick-up. It just doesn't do it for me.

Maybe I need slip "Kiss" by London after midnight into a dance playlist one of these days...

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:57 PM   #144
Underwater Ophelia

WuTang Clan ain't nothin' to fuck wit!
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:11 PM   #145
KontanKarite

As far as I know, there's music that you can listen to and has a message, I dunno, something good.

But from what I've seen, I would have to lump EBM in with rap and hip hop. It's just noise to move your ass to. I enjoy EBM, I enjoy the sound and technically, I simply enjoy listening to industrial and such.

I've not heard a good mainstream hip hop song in... forever. Not since Tupac. But I'm not compelled to listen to rap or hip hop. How do you say... it doesn't sing to my soul? Same for country. I don't feel that passionate about country and find it to be far more gloomy and depressing than even the darkest goth rock song.

Then again, I've not listened to mainstream music in years it seems. I couldn't really tell you what MCR or Puff Daddy is up to. I could however, tell you what a HIM song is if I heard it, but even they got old and tired, became rather cookie cutter with their music.

Hell, even a lot of the newer goth/post punk bands irk me only on the grounds because they're trying to stick to a formula more than trying to innovate it.

But whatever. I've got weird tastes as it is. The best anyone can really hope for is to just have me nod and smile when they play their music.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:51 PM   #146
Wolf DarkRain

Location: USA PA (the land of the Amish and French fries in salads)
The only thing that had rap in it that I really could stand was music by Linkin Park. Rarely do I listen to the radio, but all the rap is nothing but horny perverts wanting to get it on when I happen to be.

I am a huge fan of HIM and other alternative rock. I like the old stuff by Metallica, but I've hated them since they went mainstream. I'm also partial to a bit of techno, but I haven't heard much of it. The little industrial I've heard I like. But in general, I would be happy if they took rap off the radio. And ecstatic if they took off country.

"There are four kinds of people in the world: those who view the glass to be full, those who view it to be empty, those who view it to be half and half, and those who go "What the hell is this? I ordered a sirloin steak." -my friend Kelvin
Wolf DarkRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:40 PM   #147
Circle V

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
I've not heard a good mainstream hip hop song in... forever. Not since Tupac. But I'm not compelled to listen to rap or hip hop. How do you say... it doesn't sing to my soul? Same for country. I don't feel that passionate about country and find it to be far more gloomy and depressing than even the darkest goth rock song.
Mainstream music rarely does a good job of representing genres. Only the legends-- Tupac, Led Zeppelin, etc. -- are both mainstream and innovative, and that's largely because their sheer talent overwhelms any objections (or because they aren't 'discovered' until they're dead).

I'm glad you brought up country. I absolutely loathe Nashville country, but many of my favorite artists (indeed, my absolute favorite, 16 Horsepower) are either part of the genre or owe a great deal to it.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:42 PM   #148
Circle V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf DarkRain
"There are four kinds of people in the world: those who view the glass to be full, those who view it to be empty, those who view it to be half and half, and those who go "What the hell is this? I ordered a sirloin steak." -my friend Kelvin
Your friend paraphrased a Far Side cartoon.

As for 'alternative rock', I'm having trouble thinking of a modern rock band that isn't 'alternative.' Alt-rock is mainstream.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:09 AM   #149
galvanize

OK I'm not a goth a searched "great rap artists" on google this was right up there. One sick beat by the Chemical bros. with a video all "goths" will appreciate I'm sure. (i had a link to the video but wont let me link...youtube search "galvanize")

Sick rappers now Immortal Technique, Nas, Snoop(older shit), dre, ice cube, nas, WU TANG....deceaced.. biggie, pac, BIG L, ol dirty bastard so many others...rage against the machine

I think that on average people who embrace hip hop rather than gloomy emo shit enjoy life more. Play some sports kids....obviously not all of you PEACE
galvanize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #150
The_Screaming_Whisper

Todays rap all sounds the same......
The_Screaming_Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote