Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:59 PM   #1
ice

On Second Thought...

The skeleton of Richard Sumner - 47 when he went missing three years ago - was found in a remote area of Clocaenog Forest, Denbighshire, in April 2005... The handcuffs attached to one arm indicated that Mr Sumner had attached himself to the tree and thrown the key to a point where he could not retrieve it... However, Home Office pathologist Brian Rogers said the position of the handcuffs and marks found on the tree indicated that Mr Sumner had probably changed his mind, but could not reach the key. When asked by Mr Sumner's sister, Patricia Jones, if he could say how long her brother would have taken to die, Mr Rogers said: "He could have been there for a few days. If you handcuff yourself to a tree you would die fairly quickly but maybe not as quickly as you would like."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4264282.stm

"No - it's more like - wow, isn't enlightenment great?" - Doug Henning
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
(-$|N-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice
The skeleton of Richard Sumner - 47 when he went missing three years ago - was found in a remote area of Clocaenog Forest, Denbighshire, in April 2005... The handcuffs attached to one arm indicated that Mr Sumner had attached himself to the tree and thrown the key to a point where he could not retrieve it... However, Home Office pathologist Brian Rogers said the position of the handcuffs and marks found on the tree indicated that Mr Sumner had probably changed his mind, but could not reach the key. When asked by Mr Sumner's sister, Patricia Jones, if he could say how long her brother would have taken to die, Mr Rogers said: "He could have been there for a few days. If you handcuff yourself to a tree you would die fairly quickly but maybe not as quickly as you would like."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4264282.stm

Sounds something like the people who chain themselves to trees to protect the tree. One thing I am wondering is if you could commit suicide anyway you want, why handcuffing to a tree? He could have been into something with a partner and the partner did not approve of something he did earlier or was not interested.
(-$|N-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:01 AM   #3
Empty_Purple_Stars

He was probably trying to protect the tree from Loggers.

The fly in the ointment being, the loggers never came..

So he was screwed..

Note to all tree huggers: maybe a BIT MORE PLANNING is in order before you chain yourself to a tree that is in fact NOT scheduled to be cut down..

What a tool..
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
kindred

mmm.. a dead tree hugger ...
kindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 01:54 PM   #5
edible_eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars
He was probably trying to protect the tree from Loggers.

The fly in the ointment being, the loggers never came..
ha! or maybe they did and cut all the trees around him...

wouldn't that be a swift, brutal kick in the balls?
Old 09-25-2005, 04:23 AM   #6
gothica1189

*laughs in head* Aww! Tree hugger suffering from being handcuffed to the only tree society didn't feel like cutting down. That is completely and utterly priceless!
gothica1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:13 AM   #7
Spider

Classsic. sad... morbid...but utterly classic.
on the other hand maybe it was a suicide and the guy decided he was miserable, but he deserved to suffer before he died because he was so worthless and so planned a relatively slow and painful death... hmmm??

classic... utterly classic
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:34 AM   #8
demoncross

However on the bright side of the rainbow, that dead tree hugger did provide for nurishment in the form compost for the tree, hehehe. Way to go!
demoncross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #9
spookypurple

There ain't much too do in that part of Wales on a Saturday night. Trust me on this one...
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:10 AM   #10
spookypurple

Like, for instance...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3608342.stm
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote