Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:02 AM   #1
roserougesang

BBC Article-Goth church service for festival

This looks quite interesting...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/4914102.stm
Though I do admit in these BBC article they use the word 'goth' more times than necessary. It's practically a cliche now....oh well
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:28 AM   #2
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by roserougesang
This looks quite interesting...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/n...re/4914102.stm
Though I do admit in these BBC article they use the word 'goth' more times than necessary. It's practically a cliche now....oh well
Clichê, you say?

"The service will include a sermon by Rev Ramshaw on the topic of self-harm."

Fuck off, I say.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
Sobeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan_Dubh
Clichê, you say?

Fuck off, I say.
This is a perfect example of a church actually putting together a service that has the symbolic power to touch a specific community, and then ruining it by packing along a bunch of assumptive shite and not actually trying to engage in a discourse with said specific community.

Rubbish.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:19 AM   #4
roserougesang

I do admit the BBC has a habit of using stereotypes to try and prove their point. It's quite ridiculous because barely anybody really fits into the typical archetype of anything and using these makes the BBC look perfectly ridiculous. There's some quite funny things on the website anyways.
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:29 AM   #5
darkmartin82

Well I disagree, after reading the following thread,

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=2386

it appars to me that self harm in the UK might be a bigger issue. Also the reference to goth is made to get people intrested, and it might fit the situation in the UK. Also goth is a more accepted group of people and mentioning them not per definition meant in a bad way.

Though the article seems to be more about atracting emo kids, it is an objective representation of the subject, the church mass. it portraits the goals and intentions of the initiative. It isn't bad journalism.

Good journalism does not give an opinion, it just reports.

side point, to label a person as part of a larger group is mostly not done, so you won't find many articles about "goth flaming church" or somthing like that. The negative stereotyping is less here in Holland, and in my opinion, the UK.
darkmartin82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:23 PM   #6
Vorsuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan_Dubh
Clichê, you say?

Fuck off, I say.
Odd, given that this past week also saw a study plastered over nearly every news carrier going about a study done into self-harm, showing the biggest indicator is identification as a "Goth", more so than coming from a broken home or even depression.

Cliche? perhaps, but certainly it shows that people who call themselves "Goth" (be they 'proper goths' or not) are going to get the most benefit from such a talk over any other group.

I say be thankful the bastards are at least recognising "Goths" and trying to be relevant, instead of insisting they are all Satanists who are going to burn in hell.
Vorsuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:28 AM   #7
darkmartin82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsuc

I say be thankful the bastards are at least recognising "Goths" and trying to be relevant, instead of insisting they are all Satanists who are going to burn in hell.
As I said earlier, negative labeling is something that is not looked upon by journalists as something you do. They face concequences, by law or their bosses, if they do.
darkmartin82 is offline   Reply With Quote