Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #76
annwn

Had a strange reaction to this movie:

Well acted, special effects were good, beautiful to look at, but.....

...empty and unsatisfying in some strange way. By the last 15 minutes I was glancing repeatedly at my watch.
annwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #77
egyptionhak

Yes.and thanksssssssssssssssssssssss
egyptionhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #78
egyptionhak

thanksssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
egyptionhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #79
Schazmyrrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by annwn View Post
Had a strange reaction to this movie:

Well acted, special effects were good, beautiful to look at, but.....

...empty and unsatisfying in some strange way. By the last 15 minutes I was glancing repeatedly at my watch.
I felt the same way.

I’m a fan of Tim Burton’s works, overall, but I’ve come to realize that he’s not that great with remakes. This one is another example. It lacked the familiar magic and strangeness I’ve come to love in previous Burton films and if it doesn’t have that nostalgia-inducing charm, it might as well be just any other film. If it weren’t for the aesthetics, visual appeal and a few convincing characters, the movie would have been irredeemable. In short it was too shallow, too cliche.
Schazmyrrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #80
sibyl vane.

Finally saw this today. Didn't have much substance, but it was a nice bit of escapism. Cute.
sibyl vane. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #81
Cassandra13

I saw the movie again, but this time with other friends. I still think that it is a good movie. Yes, it didn't follow the original story, but it was the artistic view of what would happen if Alice went back to Underland. I appreciate that both Tim Burton and the writer made a great story of Alice going back to Underland.
Cassandra13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #82
Schazmyrrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra13 View Post
I saw the movie again, but this time with other friends. I still think that it is a good movie. Yes, it didn't follow the original story, but it was the artistic view of what would happen if Alice went back to Underland. I appreciate that both Tim Burton and the writer made a great story of Alice going back to Underland.
I don't really mind the idea of Alice going back to Wonderland as a grownup girl, I've had several encounters in graphic novels and games using that premise (Return to Wonderland & American McGee's Alice) which I actually enjoyed and appreciated. Tim Burton's version just didn't do it for me. It was too cliche and uninspired, also, at some points, I felt like he was trying to recreate a Narnian battle scene.
Schazmyrrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:42 PM   #83
Cassandra13

I agree with you on the recreation of a Narnia battle scene between Alice and the Jabberwocky. Tim should've found either a way to incorporate fencing/swrod fighting into Alice's life in the real world, or some kind of training in Underland, or just found a way for the White Queen to get the crown back. I also think that they should've gotten a little more focus on the White Queen, she seems to know much more than she lets out.
Cassandra13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:58 AM   #84
d0p3y

My opinion, "short and sweet".

"No todo es blanco o negro, es gris todo depende del matiz..."
(Mago de oz)

"your life does not belong to you, it belongs to the people that love you."
(incognito)

"laying to ones self, is laying to the world"
(incognito)

"El que por su gusto muere, hasta la muerte le sabe."
(incognito)