Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:21 PM   #1
Neurosis

Cringing Fashion

Which type of fashion that has passed by your area made you cringe? I am not talking about "annoying little babybats that try to dress like you". Fashion that people have worn that has made you wonder where did the craze begin. Example:

1) Women wearing ponchos was very "in" here in New York last fall through winter. Every women, and including the daughters in my church wore them constantly, buying new ones to mix-and-match. I have always thought they were silly.

2) Last winter, the majority of the females in my high school wore these ridiculous winter coats. The style was the coat scrunched up, and in leather, which resulted my sister and I calling them "garbage bag coats" since the scrunching resembled garbage bags.

This is not a discussion about that "it doesn't matter what they wear". This is about what you have seen that has made you cringe.

--Neurosis
Neurosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:32 PM   #2
Cicero

Everyone here seems obsessed with those tops that make you look pregnant. Those shapeless, droopy things that are tight around the boobs, then flare out right underneath them. They're damaging to my corset-loving eyes...

Also: bubble skirts, g-strings, miniskirts with g-strings, and those silly belts I keep seeing put in useless places.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #3
Delkaetre

There was... (and still is) a fad for wearing extremely low-slung jeans really tight, thus creating oozing saddlebags of fat over the edge of them on even the thinnest of girls. Particularly bad when combined with orange-brown fake tan and 'bling' jewellery in vast amounts.
We saw it a lot in Belfast. Like chav, but worse.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:56 PM   #4
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
Everyone here seems obsessed with those tops that make you look pregnant.
Haha, yeah. A classmate of mine used to always wear those, and I seriously suspected she was indeed pregnant.

Let's see, what has made me cringe...
Well, I'm not saying everyone should wear tight clothes, but I hate when people use large T shirts. I don't mean just in a rapper style; I can handle that somewhat; but some just wear jeans and a T shirt that goes below their knees. I hate it!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
BlackButterfly

It seems to be a fad amongst the teenage black girls in my area to wear these exploded-looking ponytails that put me in mind of Shikamaru from Naruto or Misty from Pokemon.

Either way, it's cute as a drawing or a cosplay, but seeing it walking the streets every day just makes me want to beat these girls down with a hairbrush.
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:04 PM   #6
Neurosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Haha, yeah. A classmate of mine used to always wear those, and I seriously suspected she was indeed pregnant.
It is so funny that girls who are actually pregnant here wear those types of shirts. Even on a telenovela on Telemundo, a Spanish TV channel, had a female character who was pregnant wearing a shirt like that. I too do not like those shirts. They only encompass my already large enough Spanish hips.

--Neurosis
Neurosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:06 PM   #7
BlackButterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Well, I'm not saying everyone should wear tight clothes, but I hate when people use large T shirts. I don't mean just in a rapper style; I can handle that somewhat; but some just wear jeans and a T shirt that goes below their knees. I hate it!
I stopped my baby bro from doing that recently. I told him it looked like he was wearing a dress, and offered to give him a makeover and a pretty wig... needless to say, he doesn't do it anymore...
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
Old 11-13-2006, 09:40 PM   #8
insertwittyname

-.- I see that a lot here in California, but in a high school which has a lot of kids that come from the ghetto, the kids with the gangster style clothes start fads. The shorts that are pants. The PE shorts that are now the second pair of boxers so that they can put their pants on and hang them on their boners, they are that low. It's called Green Ass Syndrome. Then, the full body camo. I can see in BDUs but not in missmatched camo of different patters ghetto style. Fake bling. Much fake bling. The t-shirt where the sleeves are three-quarter sleeves because the shoulder seam is at the elbow. The semi trucker style hats that are huge and come in suede*sp* of multiple colors.

That was just the guys.

The girls-Draw on eyebrows, some of you may do this, I'm sorry, but it sorta creeps me out, especially when they are drawn too thin/high/low. In a different color then black or a contrasting color to your hair that is still a hair color. I'd much prefer them to dye their eyebrows pink then to draw them on. T.T I don't know why. Those ugly leather boots, Uggs are they? With fleece inside that are so huge and come in tan and pastels? Big poofy white and tan jackets, that are made so big from down, yet are really really light and so you get cold easily, with a hood with fake fur trim. I however do like those ones that stop under the boobs and your stomach is covered in stretchy trim like stuff, very flattering on any figure. The girls with too much body fat with the too tight pants with 3 inches of fat hanging over the pants line. The style of wearing one solid color bra, and two spaghetti strap skin tight tops, it's a rainbow of bra and shirt lines!
Old 11-14-2006, 07:10 AM   #9
chelseagirl

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
There was... (and still is) a fad for wearing extremely low-slung jeans really tight, thus creating oozing saddlebags of fat over the edge of them on even the thinnest of girls.

I believe the "scientific term" for this "affliction" is "MUFFIN TOP".
Old 11-14-2006, 08:22 AM   #10
Draconysius

Ugh... I don't like the men's fitted pants. It used to be and andorgynous, crossdresser's thing that I would actually enjoy, but now it's a fad! It's the same deal with men's eye makeup, too. It used to mean you're not afraid to explore your feminine side. Now it just means you're "dark". Jesus froghopping Christ!
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:48 AM   #11
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconysius
Ugh... I don't like the men's fitted pants. It used to be and andorgynous, crossdresser's thing that I would actually enjoy, but now it's a fad! It's the same deal with men's eye makeup, too. It used to mean you're not afraid to explore your feminine side. Now it just means you're "dark". Jesus froghopping Christ!
i sit next to two guys like that in Bio...they annoy me....

i personally cant stand the tight longsleeved girl jackets that end under your boobs (pointless), and the tunic/pregnancy tops ARE quite......EWW. UGG boots....EWW. anything poofy i cant stand, especailly the down-filled vests worn JUST for fashion. and anything rhinestone encrusted....no thanks.
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:48 AM   #12
She_Is_My_Sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackButterfly
It seems to be a fad amongst the teenage black girls in my area to wear these exploded-looking ponytails that put me in mind of Shikamaru from Naruto or Misty from Pokemon.

Loads of girls in my area wear their hair like that. Except the trend over here is that you wear it in a rather sloppy way, y'know so it looks like it's taken 5 minutes to do, but in reality it way probably a good half an hour.

I don't like the style of really tight ponytails in general though. The people I know who wear them look like they're going bald.
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:48 PM   #13
kitten

i HATE Ugg boots as well, lol. I like flowey tops, but not ones that make me look preggo. I also hate the "Bermuda shorts" thing. The ones that go right above the knees? eeewww, they make the girls look old. I hate muffin toppers. They so gross. I admit to having pants I muffin top in, but only because i have exactly $00.00, and I cant have new ones right now. I wear long-ish shirts with them though, so no one can see my yummy muffins.

I also HATE people who display lovely tattoos on not-so-lovely bulges of fat. I hate G-strings hanging out and I hate ULTRA-mini skirts. I hate fake orange tans and I hate those HUGE dangle earings. It makes you look like yourwearing christmas ornaments off your ears. lol.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:50 PM   #14
kitten

My friend has extremely short hair in the back, but long in the front, kinda emo-style, but bleached blond, so its cute. She does this cute kinda random ponytail. So adorable. but yeah, I know what your talking about, some people justmake it look bad.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:33 PM   #15
MotherofMercies

Quote:
Everyone here seems obsessed with those tops that make you look pregnant. Those shapeless, droopy things that are tight around the boobs, then flare out right underneath them. They're damaging to my corset-loving eyes...

Also: bubble skirts, g-strings, miniskirts with g-strings, and those silly belts I keep seeing put in useless places.
Oh you mean those belts that try to resemble corset? The ones that sit just below the boobs? Eek.

I cringe at...
The layered look with shirts, you know the people that are trying to look like lickerish all sorts.
MotherofMercies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:35 PM   #16
kitten

I love the t shirt over striped shirt thing. Actually...only on me...and only with one striped shirt set. I have a rare Sally Tee that I wear over a black and white striped thermal.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:08 PM   #17
c130

Tie dye. It haunts me, horrifies me, terrifies me. I even used to wear it.

Orange makeup.

Belts sold under the name of skirts.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:24 PM   #18
BlackButterfly

Quote:
...Also: bubble skirts, ...
::blinks::

Wait... what's a "bubble skirt"? Is that what they call those ugly, sacky mini-skirts?

c130
Old 11-16-2006, 07:26 AM   #19
kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackButterfly
::blinks::

Wait... what's a "bubble skirt"? Is that what they call those ugly, sacky mini-skirts?

yup, those would be it. ugly arnt they. ?
Old 11-16-2006, 12:40 PM   #20
OsoCrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten
black and white striped thermal.
I've got one of those, love it, usually wear with White button-up shirt, black with glow-in-the-dark stich (Glows green!!! ) and my white etnies. I think it looks awesome.

But yea, I really hate boots that are like really fluffy at the top, also "clogs" the kinda "shoe" where you slip you foot in, like slippers, sort of, but made out of shoe-ish material. My sister wears them all the time, makes me wanna puke.
OsoCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:40 PM   #21
thedoll

bros and bro-hos

in southern california, the rage is orange skin with a camisole barely covering a pierced navel encrusted in dangly jewlery with jeans low enough to see pubic hair and once again the muffin top. we call them bro-ho's

remember when you were hard core if you dressed like a skater? you didnt have to be able to ride a skateboard, but if you dressed like you could you were deemed cool.

now its the bros. the guys who sport the motorcycle wear and act like theyre into dirtbike racing and what not, but have never stepped near a bike... gee that irritates me a lot.

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:21 PM   #22
Tumor

Leg warmers and wrist warmers. They're not meant to be fashion!
Tumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:26 AM   #23
Delkaetre

They're fashion now, because the eighties have returned. But not the good bits. I'm seeing lots of eighties fad- like Britpop, legwarmers, stripes, etc- but very little of the good stuff - like the vaguely depressed New Romantic music that we all so love or loved.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote