Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #126
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland View Post
Why is Scientology more of a cult than any other religion?
Because it was created by a guy. Wait. No.
Because its believers follow a specific way of life. Oops. No.
Because it tries to force other people in. Well, fuck.
Scientology's just like the rest.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #127
Man In Room 5

Scientology attempts to silence ex-members and other critics by pulling their videos off the internet, pressuring publishers and bookstores and even attempting to buy up all known copies of books that offend them. They allow critics to speak against them if the critics have never been members because they know such critics can only attack the image of Scientology or its assumed beliefs....but any criticism from actual ex-members is harshly controlled because they know those people are going to base their criticism on actual experience and fact. In this, they are very much like the Templars of the middle ages; allowing people to spread rumors and attack what the public thinks they are doing but covering up what they really are doing.

Based on this alone I can only assume they have something to hide.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #128
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5 View Post
Scientology attempts to silence ex-members and other critics by pulling their videos off the internet, pressuring publishers and bookstores and even attempting to buy up all known copies of books that offend them. They allow critics to speak against them if the critics have never been members because they know such critics can only attack the image of Scientology or its assumed beliefs....but any criticism from actual ex-members is harshly controlled because they know those people are going to base their criticism on actual experience and fact. In this, they are very much like the Templars of the middle ages; allowing people to spread rumors and attack what the public thinks they are doing but covering up what they really are doing.

Based on this alone I can only assume they have something to hide.
And Catholicism has never behaved like this?

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear

Last edited by Malice In Wonderland; 03-17-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #129
Man In Room 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland View Post
And Catholicism has never behaved like this?
I never said they did not behave like this. The Templars were Catholic weren't they?
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #130
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5 View Post
I never said they did not behave like this. The Templars were Catholic weren't they?
Exactly.
Also wow I completely missed that...

But my post was "Why is Scientology more of a cult than other religions."
Catholicism behaved exactly the same, if not worse, just over a longer period of time and due to that it's more socially accepted.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:41 AM   #131
Godslayer Jillian

Check it out. Someone had already brought the 'argument' of you can't prove God DOESN'T exist to a prominent atheist before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FARD...eature=related

The cool guy is on our side.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:36 AM   #132
Solumina

Jake went to a Catholic school. He was best friends with Bo, they're still friends but live far apart so they aren't as close. Bo is gay, this was evident quite early in his life. In first grade their teacher decided that the best way to deal with Bo's "problem" was to repeatedly beating him with a yard stick, so on a more or less daily basis she tried to beat the gay out of him, going so far as to break a few yard sticks. Any students who stood up for him got hit as well. Jake's parents, as well as a few others complained and at the end of the year she was asked to resign, but Bo's parents never said anything, even though they knew what was going on, because they hoped it would work and save their son from spending an eternity in Hell. On the flip side Jake's family is mostly made up of very devout Catholics and they have been wonderfully supportive of Nicole's transition to Nick.

It isn't about believing or not, it is about having blind faith or not. There are plenty of people out there who simply accept whatever their religion tells them without thought or questioning, and that is bad. There are also people who believe yet understand that people are capable of rational thought and that no matter how strongly you believe, their religion is not perfect, what their pastor/priest/rabbi/whatever says is not the direct word of a higher power, it is simply a man's interpretation of that word as it was interpreted long ago. My mother is one of the most faithful people I know, yet she is one of the most rational and intelligent people I know. She does not question God's existence but she question's religious dogma, often finding it to be out of line with her own moral and ethical views.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #133
Drake Dun

The all encompassing, all good Roman Catholic Church strikes again.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/af...ope/index.html

Actually, an interesting question just occured to me. Naturally when a priest rapes a child, it's the duty of the child to keep silent so the church can cover up the crime without too much difficulty. And it goes without saying the priest in question shouldn't lose his phoney job, much less face the law, even if he gives the child HIV. But here's a much harder question...

Should the priest get in some kind of trouble if he uses a condom while violating the child in order to avoid giving the child HIV? I think the Vatican should get a crack team of theologians to meet at one of their palatial estates to discuss this important question immediately. Proactively furthering the spread of AIDS in Africa or enabling the sexual abuse of children is all well and good, but we wouldn't want to piss God off by using condoms. Let's not forget that He has been known to go on globocidal rampages when angered.
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #134
Solumina

Well a condom in that case wouldn't prevent pregnancy so adding a condom wouldn't be a sin. Kind of like how the Church is okay with non sexually active women using the pill to help with acne and/or PMS.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 03-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #135
Drake Dun

The all encompassing, all good Catholic Church strikes again, again.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/am...ion/index.html

"God's law is above human laws".

Last edited by Drake Dun; 03-19-2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Added quote from religious fucknut.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #136
viscus

The Church's position against birth control and abortion is because they want to "protect life," no? And yet how many people are killed due to the spread of AIDS, and could a 9 year old survive a full-term pregnancy?

The absurdity of it all is astounding.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:32 AM   #137
Drake Dun

Man who repeatedly ***** small girl for years, starting at age 6: not excommunicated.

Doctor, medical team, small girl's mother: excommunicated.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #138
Mir

Yeah, tip of the iceberg my friend. Still, Catholicism doesn't even come close to Islam in terms of hypocrisy and intolerance.

http://www.patcondell.net/

I enjoyed that.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #139
jack_the_knife

Did you know that the Vatican City has the lowest age of consent in all of Europe?
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #140
Andom

I'm a member of the Methodist church.

Though I haven't been exposed to much religion, I find myself getting more and more active in church activities.
Andom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #141
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir View Post
Yeah, tip of the iceberg my friend. Still, Catholicism doesn't even come close to Islam in terms of hypocrisy and intolerance.

http://www.patcondell.net/

I enjoyed that.
Yea, you're right:

1500 years of open genocide, torture, murder, r@pe and extortion? Nah, that's forgiveable.

Cutting off the heads of those who opposed your growing religion (and let's face it, it's pretty sparsely populated out there today, think of back then), flying an airplane into a building, and a couple suicide bombings against Israelis who retaliate by killing 10 of your people for every 1 you kill? HOLY FUCKING SHIT THEY'RE FUCKING TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, sometimes you really make my blood boil with your ignorance Mir.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #142
Mir

I was born into a Muslim family, and spent half my life in an Islamic state. You presume to tell me I'm ignorant? So be it.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #143
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian View Post
Check it out. Someone had already brought the 'argument' of you can't prove God DOESN'T exist to a prominent atheist before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FARD...eature=related

The cool guy is on our side.
Richard Dawkins is brilliant.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #144
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir View Post
I was born into a Muslim family, and spent half my life in an Islamic state. You presume to tell me I'm ignorant? So be it.
So? You're comparing it to Catholicism. That demands intimate knowledge of both religions. You have knowledge of one. Yes, I presume you ignorant.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #145
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Richard Dawkins is brilliant.
He has an amazing voice.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #146
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
Cutting off the heads of those who opposed your growing religion (and let's face it, it's pretty sparsely populated out there today, think of back then), flying an airplane into a building, and a couple suicide bombings against Israelis who retaliate by killing 10 of your people for every 1 you kill? HOLY FUCKING SHIT THEY'RE FUCKING TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, sometimes you really make my blood boil with your ignorance Mir.
Yeah, religion is kind of incidental in these particular cases and is now just one part of the culture war at large. Political decisions have more to do with it - religion is utilized as one more form of rhetoric to rally the masses, when there are more significant factors. Development of societies has a tendancy to force religions to evolve, whereas keeping them down just serves to mobilize religious fanaticism.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #147
Mir

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
So? You're comparing it to Catholicism. That demands intimate knowledge of both religions. You have knowledge of one. Yes, I presume you ignorant.
And the other half around various Christian denominations. But, presume what you must. You're just not important. Nor am I. Nothing is.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #148
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_the_knife View Post
Did you know that the Vatican City has the lowest age of consent in all of Europe?
Yeah isn't it 12? I seem to recall there being some circumstances where the age of consent is older, I think, but am not sure, that if there is some relationship of dependence, like teacher student, then the age is around 14.
-Carbon Leaf